2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

3 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Heard Lance Zierline say this week that Stroud scored poorly on the "S2 Cognition Test," which I assume is the renamed Wunderlick test. That may have turned some noses up about him. Bryce Young also had Brock Purdy-type results on the test, which pads his resume in the eyes of many.  It depends on how much stock you put into a test like that. VY didn't do well on Wunderlick and won AFC Rookie of the Year (obligatory FUCK! JEFF! FISHER!). 

This may also be bullshit, but there's a rumor that Stroud struggles to take directions and feedback when he feels like he knows better, which is apparently quite often. But, I never heard anyone with Ohio State football or familiar with the program mention that before. It could just be as easily chalked up to someone putting that out there in the hopes he drops. 

Adam Schefter is now saying Bryce Young will be the Panther's pick and if Stroud's stock is down in Houston, staying at two would bypass a significant opportunity to add high-value picks. I'd flip with the Colts at four, in exchange for their second-round pick (35) and their highest second-round pick in 2024. Maybe more. I'd like to see them gin up a bidding war that otherwise might have eluded them when they won in Indy. Though I probably wouldn't drop further than the Raiders at 7.  

Paraphrasing here: “S2 measures how fast the athlete processes and split-second decisions in their sport.”

I’d say that’s pretty damned important for a QB. 

It’s not a straight intelligence test like the Wunderlick. 

Stroud feels like the safe move if only because I don’t trust Lazy Eye’s ability to trade back and get real value. 

On 4/2/2023 at 3:15 PM, Ignatius said:

I would stay away from both Clemson DL at #12. Too much ‘high ceiling if you can motivate them’ vibes; neither one of them improved appreciably from their freshmen years. If you want to gamble on ceiling I’d rather go with Van Ness from Iowa there; his measurables are every bit as freakish as those two and he’s got a motor for days. The only knock on him is experience…

As a Clemson fan, I also hope to christ Houston stays away from Murphy and Bresee 

Yep. Lots of mocks are moving away from the Texans taking a QB at 2 unless it's Young. I'd keep Anderson at #2, and trade back from 12 if you can to take Hooker later in the 1st round.
The rumor I have seen is that Stroud is repped by the same people that rep Watson, and the Texans don't want to deal with that bullshit.

I haven’t seen a R1 grade on Hooker. Most have him Day 3 grades with positional value moving him to 2.

Knocks are: he’ll be a 25 year old rookie. The ACL. Avg arm and scattered footwork. Tends to lock on primary and poor at his progression.

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This draft needs to happen already. 8hrs of Texans draft talk on the radio is brutal 

Better not listen to the radio for a couple of weeks then... 😋 

Interesting concept... Draft selections that would really tick off their fan base

Mock draft intended to anger Texans fans doesn't go far enough

Opinion by Mark Lane • 8h ago

At this point in April, there are always more mock drafts than I-35 has orange construction barrels.

Will Brinson from CBS Sports is no exception. However, Brinson provided a twist in his latest mock draft: what if teams made selections that angered their fans? For instance, the Carolina Panthers leadoff the 2023 NFL draft taking Kentucky quarterback Will Levis — not Alabama’s Bryce Young or Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud.

With the No. 2 overall pick, Brinson has the Houston Texans passing on Young, which would perplex Clutch City sports fans, but it doesn’t go far enough. The Texans go with Stroud.

What would truly anger Texans fans is if they had their choice of Young and Stroud and don’t even take a quarterback at all; instead, they go for Alabama defensive end Will Anderson.

That would draw the ire.

Quarterback is the premier need for, not only the roster, but the franchise going into this draft. Passing up on that need, especially where there are at least two qualified candidates in Young and Stroud, would be a move critically panned by fans and media, national and local alike.

Heck, that might be the type of move that would get general manager Nick Caserio canned after the draft.

Brinson goes on to having the Texans select Ohio State receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba at No. 12 overall.

The old “pair the QB with his college receiver even though you brought in like four pass catchers this offseason” move never fails!

The move wouldn’t be that bad if paired with Stroud. The Texans’ receiving corps could still use star power. However, if the Texans made that type of move with Smith-Njigba having already gummed up the works taking Anderson while passing on the two best quarterbacks in the class, then it would be the type of move to stoke the fires in Houston.

----------------------------------------------

Also only 13 players with 1st Rd grades per video below.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/sports/only-13-players-have-1st-round-grades-for-this-years-nfl-draft/vi-AA19Q0fd?t=72

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Better not listen to the radio for a couple of weeks then... 😋 

Interesting concept... Draft selections that would really tick off their fan base

Mock draft intended to anger Texans fans doesn't go far enough

Opinion by Mark Lane • 8h ago

----------------------------------------------

Also only 13 players with 1st Rd grades per video below.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/sports/only-13-players-have-1st-round-grades-for-this-years-nfl-draft/vi-AA19Q0fd?t=72

That article’s whack; nobody would be pissed about taking Will Anderson at #2. What would really piss people off would be Levis at 2 and the TE from Notre Dame or Utah at #12…

Whenever these talking heads all think a team should do this, the team should do the opposite. These fucking morons are wrong all the time and never are held to account for it. If we take Stroud, we will be looking for a new QB before his 1st contract is finished.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Whenever these talking heads all think a team should do this, the team should do the opposite. These fucking morons are wrong all the time and never are held to account for it. If we take Stroud, we will be looking for a new QB before his 1st contract is finished.

Would trading #12 and Mills for Lamar Jackson and choosing Anderson piss off the fanbase?

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Would trading #12 and Mills for Lamar Jackson and choosing Anderson piss off the fanbase?

That would likely be the best deal Baltimore would get, does he have the franchise tag right now, or a long-term deal that he wants renogotiated?

Lamar hasn’t signed his franchise tag which complicates any trade scenarios. Another benefit of having mama be your manager.

So you’re spending all that draft capital on a raw rookie and Lamar plus a shot ton of cap space to sign him? Are you guaranteeing Lamar a 5 year contract on hose bum legs?

13 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Why Houston Texans should draft Bijan Robinson and not think twice.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/bijan-robinson-texans-draft-17893329.php

Draft him and trade Pierce. I still don't see QB has a huge need considering the 49ers made it to the NFC championship game with a 7th round pick. Get Anderson and Robinson at 2 and 12.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Get Anderson and Robinson at 2 and 12.

This.

If Robinson is still there at 12.

For one, you’re getting a great back.  But from an owner’s standpoint, it would renew interest in the team.  (In the Earl to the Oilers kind of way.)

Edited by Rip76

Anyone not wearing burnt orange tinted glasses knows that drafting Bijan at #12 is not the best use of that pick. Pierce and Singletary are an above average RB tandem. So many other more glaring needs. No doubt the VY apologists will also bitch about it for the next 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Draft him and trade Pierce. I still don't see QB has a huge need considering the 49ers made it to the NFC championship game with a 7th round pick. Get Anderson and Robinson at 2 and 12.

Take Tom Brady out of the equation; go back over the last 20 years and see how many teams have made a conference championship without a 1st rounder (and usually a high one) at QB. I’d take Anderson over any of the QBs in this draft, but suggesting you can get by with a 7th rounder because one team ever did it is fucked up….

• Like 1

The 49ers are the exception not the rule. Yeah 20 years ago the Ravens won with Dilfer and a guy that looks like Ric Ocasek married a supermodel. 999,999/1,000,000 homely dudes dont land supermodels, and its not the look you want.

My point is that most teams with bad QBs suck. Its a hard hard path that more times than not leads teams wandering the wilderness. See Redskin Commanders and Houston Texans (Matt Schaub).
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The 49ers are the exception not the rule. Yeah 20 years ago the Ravens won with Dilfer and a guy that looks like Ric Ocasek married a supermodel. 999,999/1,000,000 homely dudes dont land supermodels, and its not the look you want.

My point is that most teams with bad QBs suck. Its a hard hard path that more times than not leads teams wandering the wilderness. See Redskin Commanders and Houston Texans (Matt Schaub).

There is one QB in this draft that is worth that high of a pick, and he's going to be gone at #1. Anderson and Robinson would be the better values than reaching on a QB that would likely need to be replaced in 3+ years anyway. Why not get guys that will likely be AP instead of reaching on a QB because of reasons.

The average draft spot of the 14 playoff QBs was 92nd, with only 6 taken in the 1st round, if you replace Tua for Miami, then it's 75 and 7 1st round picks. There is no reason to reach on a QB when you have needs all over the roster and better values at those picks.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Anyone not wearing burnt orange tinted glasses knows that drafting Bijan at #12 is not the best use of that pick. Pierce and Singletary are an above average RB tandem. So many other more glaring needs. No doubt the VY apologists will also bitch about it for the next 20 years. 

It would have been nice to see how VY playing for H-Town would have worked out.

Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

n

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

There is one QB in this draft that is worth that high of a pick, and he's going to be gone at #1. Anderson and Robinson would be the better values than reaching on a QB that would likely need to be replaced in 3+ years anyway. Why not get guys that will likely be AP instead of reaching on a QB because of reasons.

The average draft spot of the 14 playoff QBs was 92nd, with only 6 taken in the 1st round, if you replace Tua for Miami, then it's 75 and 7 1st round picks. There is no reason to reach on a QB when you have needs all over the roster and better values at those picks.

I really think that they would be ok going into the next season with Mills as the starter.  There is no reason that if Slovak designs this right that Mill can't be competent in this offense.  I've not been impressed by any of the QB's in this draft so I am ok with them waiting another year.  They still have way too many holes to fill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Wait… Houston could’ve drafted Vince?! Someone please fill me in on the details here, this is a subject that has never been, but should be thoroughly, discussed on Shaggy, I mean, Surly.

TIA

stir-that-shit-stirring.gif

Part of the Texans’ curse is the unavailability of slam dunk QBs when they have a top pick. David Carr was the undisputed top QB in 2002 and the Texans went QB over Julius Peppers. In 2006 nobody had VY or Leinert over Bush, but in retrospect that entire top 10 was mediocre professionally and the Texans may have got it right with Mario Williams but none were great. In 2014 Clowney was the obvious pick and the best QB was JFF (does TexAgs hate the Texans for passing on JFF the same way Surly piles on for not picking VY?). This year we get undersized Young, Stroud with low reaction score and unimpressive performance except for one game vs UGA, Neanderthal meathead looking dude Levis, and inaccurate but super freak athlete Richardson. Never a Luck or Lawrence, or even Burrow or Stafford, when the Texans are at the top. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Part of the Texans’ curse is the unavailability of slam dunk QBs when they have a top pick. David Carr was the undisputed top QB in 2002 and the Texans went QB over Julius Peppers. In 2006 nobody had VY or Leinert over Bush, but in retrospect that entire top 10 was mediocre professionally and the Texans may have got it right with Mario Williams but none were great. In 2014 Clowney was the obvious pick and the best QB was JFF (does TexAgs hate the Texans for passing on JFF the same way Surly piles on for not picking VY?). This year we get undersized Young, Stroud with low reaction score and unimpressive performance except for one game vs UGA, Neanderthal meathead looking dude Levis, and inaccurate but super freak athlete Richardson. Never a Luck or Lawrence, or even Burrow or Stafford, when the Texans are at the top. 

This. The 2024 QB class should be elite, but the Texans will probably win 6-7 games and be outside of the top 10. 

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. The 2024 QB class should be elite, but the Texans will probably win 6-7 games and be outside of the top 10. 

It’s hard to say. There’s always teams expected to be good that crap the bed, and bad teams (that benefit from easier schedule) that jump up to mediocrity. 

Who is expected to be bad in 2023 and end up with the top picks? Washington, Indianapolis, Arizona, Atlanta, Tampa, Carolina, Green Bay if they tank post-Rodgers? Denver if they suck again? Houston could be in that mix and still in the bottom 5 or at least bottom 10. Carolina will have a QB. Arizona has Kyler, and Indy will likely commit to a QB soon (hopefully Richardson or Lamar Jackson). Atlanta may end up taking a QB at #8 this year. 

In a perfect scenario, Deshaun gets his dick broke off by a Cleveland instagram masseuse and the Browns go 3-14, giving Houston #1 overall. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lot more smoke about Texans passing on Stroud at #2 and looking at trade down options (Raiders #7, Atlanta #8, Titans #11, Washington #16, Tampa #19, and Vikings #24 all interested in QB).

Fan fiction trade: Texans trade #2 to Tennessee for #11, 2024 first round pick, and rights to Oilers name/logo/colors. Texans at #11&12 get two players like Lukas Van Ness, Jalen Carter if he slides, WR#1, OT#2, CB#2; they’d have 3 first round picks next year to get a QB, and Luv Ya Blue returns to Houston. 

• Like 2

I like Jake Haener and Clayton Tune as 3rd day QBs that could fit in what the Texans want to do. I just think that any QB outside of Young in the 1st round is too big a risk, considering where this team is in terms of talent and competitiveness. 
What about Hooker in the later rounds?

On 4/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, HtownHorn said:

I agree. If you're not sold on Stroud, take the two best players on the board. I'll amend my previous statement to suggest trading the second pick, moving down, and selecting Will Anderson or Jalen Carter (in that order). Pick up the Colt's 2nd round this year (35) and in 2024 if they want to move up two spots.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, Saint Tacky said:

If you need to upgrade at each position like the Texans, then you take the best player available on the board. Assuming somebody trades up with the Bears, take Anderson at 2 and come back with Bijan at 12. IMO, those are the best player on either side of the ball in this draft. Getting both would be a real coup. 

I think Lazy Eye goes for the lay up and takes either Wilson or Anderson at 2, and then trades back in the top 10 to take Levis. 

I am concerned somebody in the teens or 20s secretly likes Levis, and they'll trade down and jump the Texans. 

Trading back a couple times and taking either Hooker or Tune seems pretty ballsy. So Lazy Eye won't do it. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Lazy Eye goes for the lay up and takes either Wilson or Anderson at 2, and then trades back in the top 10 to take Levis. 

I am concerned somebody in the teens or 20s secretly likes Levis, and they'll trade down and jump the Texans. 

Trading back a couple times and taking either Hooker or Tune seems pretty ballsy. So Lazy Eye won't do it. 

I like your thought at #2. Maybe they would take a tackle at 11 - either the Tenn. or tOSU dude. If they could then pick up a QB in FA, the Texans would be looking pretty good.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

If they were to pass on a QB at #2, then they need to trade back for some tasty draft capital. Plenty of teams need QBs Then maneuver, if necessary, to take Anderson, Carter or Wilson. 

#2 to Seattle for #5 and #20 and a mid-round pick.  Damn near perfect match on the "value" chart.

Leave the first round with whatever defensive player Demeco wants between Anderson/Wilson/Carter, JSN, and BPA @ 20.  My completely unbiased opinion would love to snag Bijan there and continue gathering pieces for the QB of the future.

If you aren't going to get a QB, then it's tough to be too pissed at this scenario.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have wanted to be a fan of the Texans, but they have generally been boring and the fact that they passed on Vince made me feel even more meh about them. If they pass on Bijan with their second pick it will give me one more reason to not care about them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

I have wanted to be a fan of the Texans, but they have generally been boring and the fact that they passed on Vince made me feel even more meh about them. If they pass on Bijan with their second pick it will give me one more reason to not care about them.

Except I don't think any draft experts have Bijan drafted before the 15th pick. And the Texans have decent running backs and they are relatively plentiful through FA. Left tackle on the other hand is valued much more and most if not all tackles will still be on the table at 11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

#2 to Seattle for #5 and #20 and a mid-round pick.  Damn near perfect match on the "value" chart.

Leave the first round with whatever defensive player Demeco wants between Anderson/Wilson/Carter, JSN, and BPA @ 20.  My completely unbiased opinion would love to snag Bijan there and continue gathering pieces for the QB of the future.

If you aren't going to get a QB, then it's tough to be too pissed at this scenario.

I think Bijan will go before 20, but JSN should be there. I love this idea.  Texans need as many skill position players as possible.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Except I don't think any draft experts have Bijan drafted before the 15th pick. And the Texans have decent running backs and they are relatively plentiful through FA. Left tackle on the other hand is valued much more and most if not all tackles will still be on the table at 11.

I know a running back is not normally a first round pick.  I'm saying most people in Texas are apathetic to the Texans and Bijan would be an unbelievable asset for the organization. How much was Earl worth to the Oilers? I'm glad he played for Houston and not Philly or Washington or any other team back then. If Earl had played for the Cowbays, how many people would have been upset when they moved to Nashville?

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

They just signed Tunsil to a huge extension so left tackle isn’t really a need. Their interior line could use a bolster but that’s for later rounds. QB, WR and D-line should be top priority. 

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

They just signed Tunsil to a huge extension so left tackle isn’t really a need. Their interior line could use a bolster but that’s for later rounds. QB, WR and D-line should be top priority. 

Usually, you draft a left tackle and put him somewhere else to develop until he is ready.