88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

So Abbott wants 10 years minimum for you if you don't check the papers of people in your car and somebody happens to be undocumented.  He wants to destroy your life, even if it's a 5-minute car ride.

What a fucking shitty governor, who is trying to make this state as shitty as possible.

I'm telling y'all, this is directly tied to Hispanics passing up whites in the population numbers, and some white BMDs somewhere are pressuring Abbott and the Legislature.

And toss in that Abbott will never compete for the White House.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

This legislation could cause a lot of problems for people who pick up workers at various building stores, day labor pickup sites, etc.

Be a real shame if a bunch of farmers and home builders and commercial builders got busted for picking up some day labor they needed to finish a job, and got 10-year sentences.

Yeah, I’m assuming since Abbott and Dan Patrick aren’t really DIY types…they don’t spend much time at hardware stores or lumber yards.  The people picking up those laborers are not driving electric cars with an equal rights bumper sticker. They’re your base.  And they’re not going down for this so you can toss red meat to their friends and competitors. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So if you’re a cab driver and you unknowingly give a ride to an undocumented nonresident, that’s 10-years in the slammer? 

It's almost like the state lege is trying to create a social underclass by broadly targeting anyone with brown skin and removing due process protections.

It could almost lead one to believe it's the desired outcome for republicans who voted this in and now won't vote it out. At least that's why I've been chirping at @fattyflattie about this so much. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

So if you’re a cab driver and you unknowingly give a ride to an undocumented nonresident, that’s 10-years in the slammer? 

Yes and if you’re driving them across state lines for an abortion then DPS is authorized to destroy the vehicle with a Hellfire fired by the ANG

• Like 1

So yeah, I can already tell since I look brown...I'm gonna schedule a legislator appointment at the Capitol in the next couple weeks.  And bring a folded sign with me that says, "I'm Hispanic and I have no Papers!"  Just to see what happens.  I mean if you're not gonna detain someone in the State Capitol, how can we trust this law will be enforced in rural areas?  

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean…I look at that scenario, and sweet lord, I wish a cop would. I really, really do.

Ok, but if you want "this is how it starts" scenarios for how "Constitutional Sheriffs" and vigilantes become the shock troops of low-medium intensity rural vs urban political violence in Texas, and kick off a multi-year chain of events leading to the fracture of the Republic this would be as good a place as any.  

I'm not saying this one bill, if it passes or not, is somehow the domino or butterfly of whatever metaphor you want to use, it's all just part of the dismal tide. Whether it's climate change or threats to the basic freedom of movement or racial strife or the rise of authoritarianism or the northward march of tropical pathogens and the escape of old gods from the thawing permafrost, it's easy to just say fuck it and live our lives. We all do the best we can.

But as we drift off to the soothing lullaby of normality bias, we glance at the clock and it just confirms what we already know: it's five minutes to midnight.  

watchmenpatchclock.webp

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's almost like the state lege is trying to create a social underclass by broadly targeting anyone with brown skin and removing due process protections.

It could almost lead one to believe it's the desired outcome for republicans who voted this in and now won't vote it out. At least that's why I've been chirping at @fattyflattie about this so much. 

It's not any more complicated than that.  I've read the bill text.  It says an officer MAY cross-reference your identification against publicly available databases....but does NOT require him to do so.  So, let's play out the scenario:

I'm driving three family members from San Antonio to dinner while they are in town visiting.  I have my TDL (because I'm driving).  My identification will be presented and prove my citizenship right away.  But my Tio didn't bring his wallet (cheap bastard, he knows I'll pick up the dinner tab).  Tio is brown.  Has an accent.  Officer Bubba thinks he doesn't sound like a real 'murican.  Tio says "sure I am."  Cop says "I don't think you are, prove it."  Tio tells him his name, all that shit....but the cop doesn't care, and doesn't HAVE to care.  The cop gets to conduct his own deportation right then and there, no hearing, no adjudication, no NOTHING.  All it requires is:

1) cop decides you're an illegal furriner

2) cop drives you to the border and kicks you over the bridge

It's xenophobic fascism.  Pure and simple.  I will guarantee you that nobody with white skin and a redneck accent has anything to fear from this statute.  But millions of Texans with brown skin and a border accent sure as shit do.  BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THIS BILL IS INTENDED TO DO.

By the way....I'm never showing my fucking papers to a random-ass cop to prove my citizenship.  I will identify myself by name, as I am required to do.  But I don't live in the land of "papers, please" or "Ihre Papiere, bitte."  I grew up grateful that I didn't live in some totalitarian shithole that acted that way.  I'm not going to change my way of being in this country.  Nobody should.  Fuck authoritarian fascism, and fuck every single one of you fuckers who votes for Republican politicians who want to subject us to it.  Y'all may masturbate furiously to your vision of a fascist authoritarian state.  I'll do what my grandfathers did: fight, to the death, against it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's not any more complicated than that.  I've read the bill text.  It says an officer MAY cross-reference your identification against publicly available databases....but does NOT require him to do so.  So, let's play out the scenario:

I'm driving three family members from San Antonio to dinner while they are in town visiting.  I have my TDL (because I'm driving).  My identification will be presented and prove my citizenship right away.  But my Tio didn't bring his wallet (cheap bastard, he knows I'll pick up the dinner tab).  Tio is brown.  Has an accent.  Officer Bubba thinks he doesn't sound like a real 'murican.  Tio says "sure I am."  Cop says "I don't think you are, prove it."  Tio tells him his name, all that shit....but the cop doesn't care, and doesn't HAVE to care.  The cop gets to conduct his own deportation right then and there, no hearing, no adjudication, no NOTHING.  All it requires is:

It's xenophobic fascism.  Pure and simple.  I will guarantee you that nobody with white skin and a redneck accent has anything to fear from this statute.  But millions of Texans with brown skin and a border accent sure as shit do.  BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THIS BILL IS INTENDED TO DO.

By the way....I'm never showing my fucking papers to a random-ass cop to prove my citizenship.  I will identify myself by name, as I am required to do.  But I don't live in the land of "papers, please" or "Ihre Papiere, bitte."  I grew up grateful that I didn't live in some totalitarian shithole that acted that way.  I'm not going to change my way of being in this country.  Nobody should.  Fuck authoritarian fascism, and fuck every single one of you fuckers who votes for Republican politicians who want to subject us to it.  Y'all may masturbate furiously to your vision of a fascist authoritarian state.  I'll do what my grandfathers did: fight, to the death, against it.

The real tragedy in this scenario is that you're still having to pick up the dinner tab.

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 6

Just now, South Austin said:

The real tragedy in this scenario is that you're still having to pick up Tio's dinner tab.

Oh, in my scenario, it happened on the way TO dinner.  So, I at least got out of that.  Which is good, because my Tio always orders a buncha drinks, too.  His dinner tab gets pricey.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is also nothing to prevent a county/ sheriff in deputizing citizens to take on this specific immigration task. And while that may seem far-fetched, I wouldn't have guessed that counties are now making it illegal to use their roads to drive to an out-of-state abortion.

As for cops driving suspected undocumented people to the border, I have to guess the next step is for Border Security to stop Texas law enforcement in driving ANYONE over the border, or at least question everyone in the vehicle if they want to drive over the border.

Finally, I would think this will fall under kidnapping or human trafficking for law enforcement in moving people without their permission or without due process. And while Texas state law might protect them, the border isn't Texas' jurisdiction.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is also nothing to prevent a county/ sheriff in deputizing citizens to take on this specific immigration task. And while that may seem far-fetched, I wouldn't have guessed that counties are now making it illegal to use their roads to drive to an out-of-state abortion.

As for cops driving suspected undocumented people to the border, I have to guess the next step is for Border Security to stop Texas law enforcement in driving ANYONE over the border, or at least question everyone in the vehicle if they want to drive over the border.

Finally, I would think this will fall under kidnapping or human trafficking for law enforcement in moving people without their permission or without due process. And while Texas state law might protect them, the border isn't Texas' jurisdiction.

Sounds good.  Think the Fifth Circuit will buy it?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

ill go a step further .....

cop pulls over a young attractive female with no status or DACA. cop threatens the female with instant arrest and deportation, per his discretion. fuck it, he just rapes her and moves one. what can she do ?   nothing 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ill go a step further .....

cop pulls over a young attractive female with no status or DACA. cop threatens the female with instant arrest and deportation, per his discretion. fuck it, he just rapes her and moves one. what can she do ?   nothing 

fortunately, hot wheels eliminated rape from the state of Texas, no problems there

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What a horrible state we live in …..

See this is the kind of ass-chewing Texas woman Democrat we need running for Governor. Listen to that accent. If she wasn't an attorney who served in the House she would be waiting tables at the cafe on the square  across from the courthouse and not putting up with any smartass shit from you, neither 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

See this is the kind of ass-chewing Texas woman Democrat we need running for Governor. Listen to that accent. If she wasn't an attorney who served in the House she would be waiting tables at the cafe on the square  across from the courthouse and not putting up with any smartass shit from you, neither 

Greg Abbott : He's Pro Rape 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/27/2023 at 7:17 AM, Captainant said:

It could almost lead one to believe it's the desired outcome for republicans who voted this in and now won't vote it out. 

Anecdotal, but I’ve seen my Hispanic in-laws talking (and arguing, a MAGA type or two is in the mix) about it, so maybe word is getting out.  I know I’m mentioning it to people.  Everybody needs to be passing this stuff around.  If the Republicans want to declare war on Hispanics, we need this stuff out in the light of ray and not hidden in a special session where the racists pushing it are hoping it doesn’t get noticed.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anecdotal, but I’ve seen my Hispanic in-laws talking (and arguing, a MAGA type or two is in the mix) about it, so maybe word is getting out.  I know I’m mentioning it to people.  Everybody needs to be passing this stuff around.  If the Republicans want to declare war on Hispanics, we need this stuff out in the light of ray and not hidden in a special session where the racists pushing it are hoping it doesn’t get noticed.

‘upper crust’ Hispanics love it. Let the bottom 90% suffer

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/time-running-short-to-approve-texas-school-voucher-plan/

The Texas House of Representatives gaveled in Monday afternoon and adjourned after six minutes, leaving its version of the school choice plan on the table. The Senate approved its plan more than two weeks ago that would create an education savings account program, carrying out one of Gov. Greg Abbott’s main priorities. However, the House held no debate so far on its version of the legislation.

Sherri Greenberg, a former lawmaker and a professor of practice at UT’s LBJ School of Public Affairs, noted the special session wraps next week on Tuesday. 

“I think this bill, the chances at this point are probably slim to none [of it] passing in this special session,” Greenberg said Monday.

The House’s version of the legislation, introduced by Republican Rep. Brad Buckley of Killeen, would bundle an increase in public school funding with establishing a program for subsidizing private education expenses. The Senate would like to tackle these separately. Abbott said he would only add school funding to the call for this special session if and when lawmakers approve vouchers. Greenberg explained this has likely kept the proposal from advancing further. 

“I think it’s going to be extremely tough because the coalition that we have seen in the House remains, and that is a coalition of Democrats and rural Republicans who are not supporting whether you call it vouchers, school choice, various terminology,” she said. “This is historic, and it continues today.”

Until the governor adds public school funding to the special session agenda, the House will likely not be able to take the first crucial step and debate that legislation. The bill has yet to even receive a committee hearing. This sets the likelihood even higher the governor will have to call everyone back a fourth time.

Abbott and Patrick and the Senate are just pissing everybody off in the House.

• Drool 2

On 10/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

She would get her ass kicked. First she’s a she, we ain’t got no time for that shit anymore. Second she loves brown folk downright obsessed, hell she’s probably half Mexican herself. She’s against strong borders obviously. She’s a democrat too and she probably won’t protect children from books and drag queens and isn’t hating on the gays enough. This state is irredeemable imo. The good guys are leaving the bad ones keep moving in.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, troph said:

She would get her ass kicked. First she’s a she, we ain’t got no time for that shit anymore. Second she loves brown folk downright obsessed, hell she’s probably half Mexican herself. She’s against strong borders obviously. She’s a democrat too and she probably won’t protect children from books and drag queens and isn’t hating on the gays enough. This state is irredeemable imo. The good guys are leaving the bad ones keep moving in.

I feel like Texas is on the path of that one friend from highschool that is in a downward spiral but doing ok right now so they won't listen to reason. I fear the rock bottom it's gonna take for people to snap out of it. 

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I feel like Texas is on the path of that one friend from highschool that is in a downward spiral but doing ok right now so they won't listen to reason. I fear the rock bottom it's gonna take for people to snap out of it. 

It’s annoying bc you figured that with some places going redder, like Florida and Wisconsin, that Texas would be ripe to start going bluer, considering it has DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and El Paso. Instead, Georgia and Arizona stole that from us. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It’s annoying bc you figured that with some places going redder, like Florida and Wisconsin, that Texas would be ripe to start going bluer, considering it has DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and El Paso. Instead, Georgia and Arizona stole that from us. 

Wisconsin isn't really getting redder at this point. It's shifting back to blue, and it's going to nuke the extreme gerrymandering that made it seem red. 

Texas isn't fit to wash Wisconsin's balls at this point. 

On 10/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man you know whoever it was that said "move on" must of felt about a foot tall when she started looking over there asking about "whoever mouthed off."

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So the current basic allotment is $6,160 per student. They are going to give private school kids $10,400? 

Wow. That's some bullshit.

Wow what the fuck. My wife and I are newly expecting (woo!) but are seriously talking about GTFO'ing to a state with a less fucked and politicized education system. Absolutely insane that my exorbitant property taxes are going to private religious schools

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

what's worse, racist as fuck or destroying public schools. wait maybe that's the same thing.

I'm close enough to being out of the school system and we are in a nice enough ISD so it won't harm us most likely but wow, GTFO is right.

This state is uber fucked. in part by a fucking Yankee too.

jesus christ.

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Why won’t todays public schools just close and reopen as “private” schools to get the higher funding? Rent the buildings from the school district that now has zero students.

We should not be playing fuck fuck games with our public education to appease a bunch of fucking christofascists. Cmon Jeff.

• Hook 'Em 1