2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

On 9/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, Goo Punch said:

i disagree. i think that a pitcher being named mvp is ludicrous. jacob deform has played 30 times this year. 30 times. he has 8 wins. 30 games played; 8 wins. even if a pitcher wins 20/35 you simply cannot seriously consider nominating him for mvp.

your number of games played argument is valid.  

your number of wins argument is trash.

1 hour ago, Tommy Nobis said:

You’re a fucking liar. You also self banned yourself from shaggys baseball board and welched on the bet. You’re a well known bitch around here.

If the esteemed and knowledgeable Tommy Nobis says so, then it must be true.

I’m done polluting this thread. Back to pennant race baseball. 

On Hawk Harrelson’s last day as the voice of the White Sox, what else can you say but ‘He Gone’:

The man with the biggest ego the South Side has ever seen graced Guaranteed Rate Field on Sunday afternoon. 

No, not Ken “Hawk” Harrelson. I’m actually talking about Kanye West — no relation to Joe — who threw out a first pitch as “Homecoming” played for the crowd.

While West gave the crowd a jolt, the day was really about Harrelson’s last broadcast as the TV voice for the team that adopted him, the team that grew to define the beak-nosed broadcaster from Savannah, Georgia by way of Fenway Park and the 18th green of every golf course in America. 

While Harrelson allowed that there’s a chance he could fill in for Jason Benetti sometime down the road, Sunday marked the end of a very long goodbye tour for the man who has personified White Sox baseball for decades. Hawk said it just kind of hit him that Sunday was the final broadcast. We’ve known this day was coming for years, it seems like, and just this season, he “wrote” another book and participated in another “documentary.” I use air quotes because no one is truly judging Hawk as his time draws to a close, we’re just celebrating him. That’s fine. Impartiality was never his thing. It was fun to watch ex-players like A.J. Pierzynski and Paul Konerko call games with him, for the franchise to venerate him in every way possible. Memory lane is an easier drive these days than the Indiana Toll Road for Hawk.

Some White Sox fans are glad Harrelson is done. Others are wistful. But all should pay some respect to his career.

Even if you hate the Hawk, his verbiage has become our vocabulary in Chicago, beyond the confines of just White Sox fans.

When someone has a no-hitter going, you are required to tweet or say, “Call your sons, call your daughters…”. 

Mercy, can of corn, Kansas City Special, stretch, he gone, you can put on the boaarrdddddd, yessssss! You gotta be bleeping me! What are you doing, Wegner? TWTW. Yaz.

I’m not going to pander and say Harrelson belongs in the broadcast wing of the Hall of Fame, but how many modern announcers have influenced the way we talk about baseball, even if it’s just silly non-sequiturs? It’s fine to talk about analytics and educate the fans or just play it straight. But it’s another thing to create a lingua franca for us to communicate with each other. Hawk had that gift, dadgummit.

GettyImages-1026249528.jpg
White Sox broadcaster Ken “The Hawk” Harrelson acknowledges the crowd during the sixth inning on Hawk Day as he was honored by the White Sox before the Sept. 2 game between the White Sox and the Boston Red Sox at Guaranteed Rate Field. (David Banks/Getty Images)

“I get other players who text me a lot of times, and they’ll use some of those catchphrases when something’s going on,” Harrelson said. “A couple of them when they hit home runs, when they get back in their room they’ll text me, ‘You can put it on the booooooard, yes!’ So it is flattering, there’s no doubt about that.”

It’s probably time for Hawk to hang ‘em up. Maybe past time. But he will be missed like few others. I like Benetti, but “Sox Math” just doesn’t have the panache of a good yarn about the 1967 Red Sox. Steve Stone can teach the game, but he doesn’t live and breathe White Sox baseball.

Hawk — or Ken Harrelson, I suppose — talked to reporters for about 13 minutes before Sunday’s game. Wearing a pink golf shirt and white loafers, Hawk touched on a few topics from the mundane to the weird. He praised Jerry Reinsdorf, he talked about his undiagnosed personality disorder (Hawk and Ken), he mentioned his drink of choice. He didn’t mention his spirit animal Carl Yastrzemski, but he did talk about Mark Buehrle’s perfect game, that moment in time where all was right in his world.

One reporter asked him if he wanted a statue at the park — and why hasn’t that happened yet? — and Hawk responded by giving us a hitting lesson that Ted Williams gave to him in 1967 and reminding us how he was a trend-setter.

“George Brett was not the first guy to get hemorrhoids,” he said. “I was. When I got hemorrhoids, I was leading the league in hitting, I was one behind Frank Howard in home runs, and I did end up leading the major leagues in RBIs that year.”

I asked him if he regretted his decision to retire at any point of this truncated final season.

“No, let’s reframe that,” he said. “Last week was the first time it popped into my mind. I told my wife, I said honey this retirement issue might be overrated. All I’ve been doing is watching ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ and turning a lot of Smirnoff into urine.”

I didn’t have a follow-up.

Reporters always enjoyed a friendly relationship with Hawk — well, except that one guy — who was always good for a story and a “Hey there big guy.” We enjoyed his personality and his never-ending optimism for the White Sox. We all have our Hawk impersonations.

One year he’s excited about Brett Lawrie and Todd Frazier, the next he’s thrilled the team is finally rebuilding. Before the game, Hawk said, “Right now, the only thing I want to do is take this game and kick the Cubs’ ass.” So it was fitting the Cubs did the ass-kicking, given the way the Sox have continually let him down over the years. 

In fact, as Harrelson was getting some city council resolution in the second inning, Kyle Schwarber hit a 444-foot homer. He gone, indeed.

It would have been fitting for Hawk to sit in silence all game. Only Hawk, by the way, could make angry silence a calling card.

Hawk sounded kind of downcast late in his penultimate broadcast Saturday. It had something to do with the White Sox not being able to catch, I imagine, mixed in with the emotions he felt about retiring. It was kind of depressing to remember he’s made friends with Joe West. When Tim Anderson went off on West and got tossed, the old Hawk would’ve flipped his shit. This Hawk, the one who’s golf buddies with the country-singing umpire, reiterated his two rules for clean living: catch the ball and don’t mess with Joe West. He even blamed Anderson for arguing a play that was already adjudicated in review.

Harrelson will continue to have some kind of ambassadorial role with the White Sox in future years so he can continue on his quixotic quest to “have been in professional baseball for parts of eight decades.”

“Not many guys get to do that,” he reminded us.

Not many would think of that, either. But Hawk and Ken Harrelson do. 

Harrelson has had many interests over his colorful life — golf; fashion; golf fashion; ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ reruns — but baseball defined him. He is a lucky man to have lived this life for as long as he did.

Harrelson used to say he wanted to die in the booth and again Sunday, he gave us an impression of what that would sound like. Fortunately for his family, he out-lasted Konerko’s run with the White Sox and so Ken Harrelson, at least, will live on.

“Hawk’s gone,” he said. “In fact that’s what I want on my grave, I told you that. I want to be known as, ‘Here lies a man who adored his family, here lies a man who adored his White Sox, and he gone.’ So that’ll be that.”

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

On Hawk Harrelson’s last day as the voice of the White Sox, what else can you say but ‘He Gone’:

Reveal hidden contents

The man with the biggest ego the South Side has ever seen graced Guaranteed Rate Field on Sunday afternoon. 

No, not Ken “Hawk” Harrelson. I’m actually talking about Kanye West — no relation to Joe — who threw out a first pitch as “Homecoming” played for the crowd.

While West gave the crowd a jolt, the day was really about Harrelson’s last broadcast as the TV voice for the team that adopted him, the team that grew to define the beak-nosed broadcaster from Savannah, Georgia by way of Fenway Park and the 18th green of every golf course in America. 

While Harrelson allowed that there’s a chance he could fill in for Jason Benetti sometime down the road, Sunday marked the end of a very long goodbye tour for the man who has personified White Sox baseball for decades. Hawk said it just kind of hit him that Sunday was the final broadcast. We’ve known this day was coming for years, it seems like, and just this season, he “wrote” another book and participated in another “documentary.” I use air quotes because no one is truly judging Hawk as his time draws to a close, we’re just celebrating him. That’s fine. Impartiality was never his thing. It was fun to watch ex-players like A.J. Pierzynski and Paul Konerko call games with him, for the franchise to venerate him in every way possible. Memory lane is an easier drive these days than the Indiana Toll Road for Hawk.

Some White Sox fans are glad Harrelson is done. Others are wistful. But all should pay some respect to his career.

Even if you hate the Hawk, his verbiage has become our vocabulary in Chicago, beyond the confines of just White Sox fans.

When someone has a no-hitter going, you are required to tweet or say, “Call your sons, call your daughters…”. 

Mercy, can of corn, Kansas City Special, stretch, he gone, you can put on the boaarrdddddd, yessssss! You gotta be bleeping me! What are you doing, Wegner? TWTW. Yaz.

I’m not going to pander and say Harrelson belongs in the broadcast wing of the Hall of Fame, but how many modern announcers have influenced the way we talk about baseball, even if it’s just silly non-sequiturs? It’s fine to talk about analytics and educate the fans or just play it straight. But it’s another thing to create a lingua franca for us to communicate with each other. Hawk had that gift, dadgummit.

GettyImages-1026249528.jpg
White Sox broadcaster Ken “The Hawk” Harrelson acknowledges the crowd during the sixth inning on Hawk Day as he was honored by the White Sox before the Sept. 2 game between the White Sox and the Boston Red Sox at Guaranteed Rate Field. (David Banks/Getty Images)

“I get other players who text me a lot of times, and they’ll use some of those catchphrases when something’s going on,” Harrelson said. “A couple of them when they hit home runs, when they get back in their room they’ll text me, ‘You can put it on the booooooard, yes!’ So it is flattering, there’s no doubt about that.”

It’s probably time for Hawk to hang ‘em up. Maybe past time. But he will be missed like few others. I like Benetti, but “Sox Math” just doesn’t have the panache of a good yarn about the 1967 Red Sox. Steve Stone can teach the game, but he doesn’t live and breathe White Sox baseball.

Hawk — or Ken Harrelson, I suppose — talked to reporters for about 13 minutes before Sunday’s game. Wearing a pink golf shirt and white loafers, Hawk touched on a few topics from the mundane to the weird. He praised Jerry Reinsdorf, he talked about his undiagnosed personality disorder (Hawk and Ken), he mentioned his drink of choice. He didn’t mention his spirit animal Carl Yastrzemski, but he did talk about Mark Buehrle’s perfect game, that moment in time where all was right in his world.

One reporter asked him if he wanted a statue at the park — and why hasn’t that happened yet? — and Hawk responded by giving us a hitting lesson that Ted Williams gave to him in 1967 and reminding us how he was a trend-setter.

“George Brett was not the first guy to get hemorrhoids,” he said. “I was. When I got hemorrhoids, I was leading the league in hitting, I was one behind Frank Howard in home runs, and I did end up leading the major leagues in RBIs that year.”

I asked him if he regretted his decision to retire at any point of this truncated final season.

“No, let’s reframe that,” he said. “Last week was the first time it popped into my mind. I told my wife, I said honey this retirement issue might be overrated. All I’ve been doing is watching ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ and turning a lot of Smirnoff into urine.”

I didn’t have a follow-up.

Reporters always enjoyed a friendly relationship with Hawk — well, except that one guy — who was always good for a story and a “Hey there big guy.” We enjoyed his personality and his never-ending optimism for the White Sox. We all have our Hawk impersonations.

One year he’s excited about Brett Lawrie and Todd Frazier, the next he’s thrilled the team is finally rebuilding. Before the game, Hawk said, “Right now, the only thing I want to do is take this game and kick the Cubs’ ass.” So it was fitting the Cubs did the ass-kicking, given the way the Sox have continually let him down over the years. 

In fact, as Harrelson was getting some city council resolution in the second inning, Kyle Schwarber hit a 444-foot homer. He gone, indeed.

It would have been fitting for Hawk to sit in silence all game. Only Hawk, by the way, could make angry silence a calling card.

Hawk sounded kind of downcast late in his penultimate broadcast Saturday. It had something to do with the White Sox not being able to catch, I imagine, mixed in with the emotions he felt about retiring. It was kind of depressing to remember he’s made friends with Joe West. When Tim Anderson went off on West and got tossed, the old Hawk would’ve flipped his shit. This Hawk, the one who’s golf buddies with the country-singing umpire, reiterated his two rules for clean living: catch the ball and don’t mess with Joe West. He even blamed Anderson for arguing a play that was already adjudicated in review.

Harrelson will continue to have some kind of ambassadorial role with the White Sox in future years so he can continue on his quixotic quest to “have been in professional baseball for parts of eight decades.”

“Not many guys get to do that,” he reminded us.

Not many would think of that, either. But Hawk and Ken Harrelson do. 

Harrelson has had many interests over his colorful life — golf; fashion; golf fashion; ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ reruns — but baseball defined him. He is a lucky man to have lived this life for as long as he did.

Harrelson used to say he wanted to die in the booth and again Sunday, he gave us an impression of what that would sound like. Fortunately for his family, he out-lasted Konerko’s run with the White Sox and so Ken Harrelson, at least, will live on.

“Hawk’s gone,” he said. “In fact that’s what I want on my grave, I told you that. I want to be known as, ‘Here lies a man who adored his family, here lies a man who adored his White Sox, and he gone.’ So that’ll be that.”

Good fucking riddance. 

• Like 8

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/comerica-park-food-vendor-fired-after-video-appears-to-show-him-spitting-in-food

Spoiler

DETROIT - A Comerica Park food vendor was fired after video appeared to show him spitting into a pizza he was preparing.

The video surfaced over the weekend and instantly racked up thousands of shares. The employee, who has not yet been named, was quickly fired, and now he’s expected to face charges.

“He was angry because the supervisor kept yelling at him, and he said, 'I’m going to spit in the customer’s pizza,' and I said, 'What?'" Quinell May said.

May said that was just the beginning of a crazy Friday night.

“I’m, like, 'You sure you want to do that?' He said, 'Yeah,' so I pulled out my phone just in case he did it," May said.

His co-worker did what he said he was going to do, officials said. May recorded it on camera.

Minutes later, May said, he went to a manager to report what had happened, but said he was sent home for taking too long to use the bathroom. So he posted the video on social media.

“They contacted me and made me delete it, and then I reposted it," May said. "They said, 'Oh, we have to let you go because we have to investigate,' and I never heard nothing back."

The food company, Detroit Sport Service, sent Local 4 the following statement:

The employee who filmed and posted the video was sent home from the game Friday evening on an unrelated uniform violation prior to us learning about the food tampering via the video being posted on social media. Our only subsequent communication with that employee was to let him know that he would not be working Saturday or Sunday. No one acting in an official work capacity asked him to remove the video. We referred information regarding the video to the Detroit Police Department and they have told us it is an active investigation.”

Meanwhile, May has some questions of his own.

“Why should I be fired for showing the truth?" May asked. "I feel like they wanted me to sweep it under the rug by not telling anybody, but no. What if it was my mom or somebody you know who ate the pizza? You would want them to know what’s going on."

I wouldn't be surprised if the A's beat the Yankees and give the Red Sox a good run. The A's have the offense and essentially three closers though innings 7 - 9.

The A's starting rotation is injured, but they can win this series if they get to the Red Sox bullpen.

Edited by mycox

32 minutes ago, mycox said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the A's beat the Yankees and give the Red Sox a good run. The A's have the offense and essentially three closers though innings 7 - 9.

The A's starting rotation is injured, but they can win this series if they get to the Red Sox bullpen.

This A’s team looks a lot like their predecessor moneyball teams.  They have the offense to get it done in a single game or maybe even a short series (BTW they are 1-6 in five game series since 2000), but they will really be tested to win 4 out of 7 against a pitching staff like the Astros or Indians.  

The A's have proven they can hit against anyone and they don't lose at home. I think they are over 21 games over .500 since the all-star break and peaking at the right time. They will go a long way if their starting pitching can hold up.

It will be a five game series A's vs Sox.

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The A’s also don’t have the YankeeMagic needed to compete in the AL playoffs. Boone has already hinted that he’s open to using a different pitcher every 2 innings or so for the WC game. No one sees the same hitter twice. Advantage Yankees in that kind of game.

A’s can go toe to toe in a bullpen game with anyone.    Yankees have no advantage here and “Yankee Magic” does not exist.    

23 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

A’s can go toe to toe in a bullpen game with anyone.    Yankees have no advantage here and “Yankee Magic” does not exist.    

It sure as hell does in Yankee Stadium, where the WC is slated to be played if the season ended today. Yankees went 6-0 at YS in the playoffs last year. 

41 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

And they lost the WC game there in 2015, sooo...

Very true, that 1 game 3 years ago is far more relevant than 6 games less than a year ago. 

I know we got "revenge" on him in game 4 or 5 last year, but I still hate Keuchel for that WC game. I was so stoked for the first Yankee playoff game in 2 years and he made the whole offense look like they were swinging underwater. I was more frustrated watching that game than any of the 4 ALCS losses last year /csb. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Very true, that 1 game 3 years ago is far more relevant than 6 games less than a year ago. 

I know we got "revenge" on him in game 4 or 5 last year, but I still hate Keuchel for that WC game. I was so stoked for the first Yankee playoff game in 2 years and he made the whole offense look like they were swinging underwater. I was more frustrated watching that game than any of the 4 ALCS losses last year /csb. 

None of the 7 games are relevant to this wc game. 

• Like 1

959acfd305e0eed0b31d84b22c13adbe.png

Cubs: vs. Pirates (Wednesday, Thursday), vs. Cardinals (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Brewers: at Cardinals (Wednesday), vs. Tigers (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Cardinals: vs. Brewers (Wednesday), at Cubs (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Dodgers: at D-backs (Wednesday), at Giants (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Rockies: vs. Phillies (Wednesday, Thursday), vs. Nationals (

Advantage....Braves? (2 games back of Chicago for best record) at Mets (Wednesday, Thursday) at Phillies (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

So Cubs have the best record in the NL entering play on Wednesday, September 26 and it’s not inconceivable they could be packing their bags for the offseason end of play Wednesday, October 3.

• Like 1