2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Jesus, I can't believe someone actually knows less about baseball than Helobious.

Come again? Did you think that Michael Jordan thing was some great compliment? MJ was old, and slow, and fat, and could barely even dunk, but he could still put up 20 ppg. Pujols is now old, and slow, and fat, and he can barely round the bases, but he still drops in 28 HR and 98 RBI on an average year. Or do you dispute this?

Edited by Goo Punch

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Come again? Did you think that Michael Jordan thing was some great compliment? MJ was old, and slow, and fat, and could barely even dunk, but he could still put up 20 ppg. Pujols is now old, and slow, and fat, and he can barely round the bases, but he still drops in 28 HR and 98 RBI on an average year. Or do you dispute this?

I don't dispute those are his numbers. I just dispute they're meaningful in any way. In his time with the Angels, he's basically been a poor man's Lucas Duda at the plate.

I don't dispute those are his numbers. I just dispute they're meaningful in any way. In his time with the Angels, he's basically been a poor man's Lucas Duda at the plate.

I must have missed the part where I said anything about his numbers being meaningful. Michael Jordan shot 41% from the field and 19% from three in 2002 when he still put up 22.9 ppg. In other words, Albert Pujols is having a very MJ-like decline- like I said.

If I’m reading the chart right, pujols’ WAR last year was -1.8.  Which is bad. The year before, it was 1.3. It’s 0.2 so far, so for the past 2+ seasons he’s a below replacement level performer. 

Maybe if they moved him to SS or CF those hr and rbi would look good. 

All for the low low price of around $55 million over that span, with another $100 million left thru 2021. 

At least they have all those playoff victories his first 5 years there. 

• Like 2

Goo I can’t believe I’m saying this but I got your Jordan reference.

Lots of stats in a bad fat kind of way. Assuming anyone care about counting stats like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

“Emergency surgery after taking a foul tip to the groin” just doesn’t sound like fun.

emergency surgery to treat a traumatic hematoma that required immediate attention” sounds even worse. No fucking thanks. 

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Needed a change of pants after Torres’ walk off blast. The Yankees are 15-1 in their last 16 games. 

They pulled it out?  Their pitcher had a no-no into the 8th but the Tribe busted out for 4 runs and I stopped watching.

Also Mad Max became the first pitcher to K 15 guys while only going 19 outs. His stuff was stupid today. Throwing balls all over the strike zone- fastballs up, fastballs over the plate, hanging sliders- didn’t matter. Everyone looked late on everything, like it was just taking that long to pick up on what pitch was being thrown.

This is great: https://www.mlb.com/news/kerry-wood-astros-recall-20-strikeout-game/c-274851112

partial:

That day at Wrigley Field, a few Astros players watched Wood warm up in the bullpen and got what they thought was a preview to what they might see that day. They were wrong.

Bagwell: I was like, "OK, he throws pretty hard, he looks all right, 93, 94 [mph] ... he has a curveball, maybe a slider." And then [Biggio] stepped in the box. And I saw the first fastball. And I go, "Where did that extra five, six miles an hour come from?" And it was all downhill from there.

Biggio, Bagwell on Wood's gem

Biggio, Bagwell on Wood's gem 02:30 May 4th, 2018

Moises Alou, Astros outfielder: I was a cocky hitter and I didn't care who was pitching. Bags and [Biggio], they always knew who was pitching the next week. Sometimes I found out who's pitching when I was doing my sprints before the game. I pretty much knew a kid was pitching and that he was a phenom. Then I saw the electric stuff live and I said, "Oh [bleep]."

Wood: I don't think I threw any strikes warming up. I was all over the place. Balls were all over the place. I think I actually shut it down early and flipped the ball to [pitching coach] Phil Regan and said, "We're done. I'm loose. It's only going to get worse. It's time to start save my bullets." It was an ugly warmup.

That part continued -- briefly -- when the game started. Wood's first pitch -- a fastball -- missed catcher Sandy Martinez's glove and hit home-plate umpire Jerry Meals squarely in the mask.

Kerry Wood pitch hits umpire

Meals: I wasn't sure if I needed to eject somebody right there or what. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me at that time. It was shocking more than anything. I couldn't figure out how he didn't catch it. He knew a fastball was coming. He just couldn't get it. It was like the rest of the game -- the Astros couldn't catch up to him, either. It was a weird beginning.

Wood: I'd gone 50 pitches in the bullpen and didn't throw one strike, and the first pitch of the game, I hit the umpire in the mask, and I'm like, "Here we go." It wasn't reassuring for me.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Hoooooooooooly hell:

Small park:

Right Center: 353 feet
Right Field: 306 feet

But still...

And then tonight:

https://instagram.com/p/BigCm2zgGOm/

Man, the sound the ball makes off of his bat (I assume his HR from the other night was posted here? Can’t remember) is something else. 

(You have to actually click the link to see tonight’s HR otherwise I would have embedded the link)

On 5/6/2018 at 9:08 PM, Beau Vine said:

That part continued -- briefly -- when the game started. Wood's first pitch -- a fastball -- missed catcher Sandy Martinez's glove and hit home-plate umpire Jerry Meals squarely in the mask.

That's one way to look at it.  Another way would be to ask wtf the catcher was doing on that pitch.

Rafael Palmeiro will have at least one teammate in his corner when he takes the next step in his against-the-odds comeback at age 54. 

His son.

Palmeiro said Tuesday night that he had agreed to play for the Cleburne Railroaders of the independent American Association where he will team with his oldest son, Patrick. Cleburne is scheduled to open it's season on May 18 against the Winnipeg Gold Eyes. 

"I'm looking forward to it," Palmeiro said via text on Tuesday. "Nobody gave me a chance to go to spring training, so I will just take this path."

That’s a long goddamn road trip from Winnipeg to Cleburne.