2023 Texas High School Football

On 9/1/2023 at 6:59 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Duncanville playing my sons old highschool Rockledge Fl tomorrow. It will be running clock by half time. I wanna know who the F scheduled that lol 

Coach Samples is proficient at managing the score.  He complains frequently about not being able to find non-district foes, so I imagne that he does not want to embarass a team that has the gumption to play them.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Houston Wisdom (formerly Houston Lee) is 2-0. It’s their 2nd two-win season since 1998.

That's awesome.  As many of you probably know, for a period of time in the early 2000s, they dropped football due to a lack of interest in getting players to play.  The students are almost entirely first generation and come from literally all over the world.  Very good soccer team.  The LA Times featured the school in an article on Houston's diversity a few years ago.

How Houston has become the most diverse place in America - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

I used to play in a basketball league in their gym when I was just out of college and found the place to be fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

That's awesome.  As many of you probably know, for a period of time in the early 2000s, they dropped football due to a lack of interest in getting players to play.  The students are almost entirely first generation and come from literally all over the world.  Very good soccer team.  The LA Times featured the school in an article on Houston's diversity a few years ago.

How Houston has become the most diverse place in America - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

I used to play in a basketball league in their gym when I was just out of college and found the place to be fascinating.

I don't know Houston demos that well, but Lee/Wisdom not too long ago (the 80s) was the HISD high school, with Bellaire and Lamar somewhat close on its heels.  And, it would seem to still have that "quasi-Memorial" attendance zone, but maybe things are all chopped up now.  But, AFAIK, Bellaire and Lamar are now the HISD high schools.  And, white flight seems to have been mostly complete before this happened.  So what happened?

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know Houston demos that well, but Lee/Wisdom not too long ago (the 80s) was the HISD high school, with Bellaire and Lamar somewhat close on its heels.  And, it would seem to still have that "quasi-Memorial" attendance zone, but maybe things are all chopped up now.  But, AFAIK, Bellaire and Lamar are now the HISD high schools.  And, white flight seems to have been mostly complete before this happened.  So what happened?

They opened Westside high school in the early 2000s and Lee/Wisdom was left with Gulfton/Westchase apartment land.  It's crazy that the high school that produced Peter Gardere dropped football about 10 years after he graduated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dave Campbell's Texas Football Texas state high school football rankings for Sept. 4, 2023

CLASS 6A — 1. Duncanville (2-0), 1; 2. Galena Park North Shore (2-0), 2; 3. DeSoto (1-0), 3; 4. Austin Westlake (2-0), 4; 5. Austin Vandegrift (2-0), 7; 6. Southland Carroll (2-0), 8; 7. Humble Atascocita (2-0);,10; 8. Lake Travis (2-0), 12; 9. Prosper (2-0), 14; 10. Katy (1-1), 5; 11. Denton Guyer (2-0), 9; 12. North Crowley (2-0), 15; 13. Klein Collins (2-0), 16; 14. Humble Summer Creek (2-0), 18; 15. Cibolo Steele (1-1), 11; 16. McKinney (2-0), 19; 17. Trophy Club Byron Nelson (2-0), 20; 18. Pflugerville Weiss (2-0), 21; 19. Alvin Shadow Creek (2-0), 24; 20. Fort Bend Hightower (2-0), NR; 21. Houston Lamar (2-0), NR; 22. Cypress Bridgeland (2-0), NR; 23. Spring Westfield (1-1), 6; 24. Highland Park (2-0), NR; 25. Midland Legacy (2-0), 25

CLASS 5A DIVISION I — 1. Aledo (2-0), 1; 2. Longview (1-1), 3; 3. Mansfield Timberview (2-0), 4; Port Arthur Memorial (2-0), 5; 5. Fulshear (2-0), 6; 6. Frisco Reedy (2-0), 7; 7. Denton Ryan (1-0), 8; 8. Smithson Valley (1-1), 9; 9. Abilene (2-0), NR; 10. PSJA North (2-0), 10

CLASS 5A DIVISION II — 1. Melissa (2-0), 1; 2. South Oak Cliff (1-1), 2; 3. Fort Bend Marshall (2-0), 3; 4. Frisco Emerson (2-0), 4; 5. Lovejoy (2-0), 5; 6. Montgomery Lake Creek (2-0), 6; 7. Midlothian Heritage (2-0), 7; 8. Texarkana Texas High (2-0), 8; 9. Port Neches-Groves (1-1), NR; 10. Liberty Hill (1-1), NR

CLASS 4A DIVISION I — 1. Tyler Chapel Hill (2-0), 2; 2. Anna (2-0), 3; 3. China Spring (1-1), 1; 4. Boerne (1-1), 4; 5. Celina (2-0), 5; 6. Stephenville (1-1), 6; 7. Kilgore (1-1), 9; 8. Brownwood (2-0), NR; 9. Lubbock Estacado (2-0), NR; 10. Somerset (2-0), NR

CLASS 4A DIVISION II — 1. Carthage (2-0), 1; 2. Silsbee (2-0), 2; 3. Texarkana Pleasant Grove (2-0), 3; 4. Cuero (2-0), 4; 5. Wimberley (2-0), 5; 6. Bellville (2-0), 6; 7. Waco Connally (2-0), 7; 8. Jasper (2-0), 8; 9. Hamshire-Fannett (2-0), 9; 10. Graham (2-0), NR

CLASS 3A DIVISION I — 1. Franklin (2-0), 1; 2. Brock (1-1), 2; 3. Edna (2-0), 3; 4. Columbus (2-0), 4; 5. Malakoff (2-0), 5; 6. Hitchcock (2-0), 6; 7. Winnsboro (2-0), 9; 8. Paradise (1-0), 10; 9. Tuscola Jim Ned (2-0), NR; 10. Yoakum (2-0), NR

CLASS 3A DIVISION II — 1. Canadian (2-0), 1; 2. Gunter (2-0), 2; 3. Tidehaven (2-0), 3; 4. Wall (2-0), 4; 5. Hooks (2-0), 5; 6. Gilmer Harmony (1-1), 6; 7. Newton (1-0), 7; 8. Daingerfield (2-0), 9; 9. Comanche (2-0), 10; 10. Troup (2-0), NR

CLASS 2A DIVISION I — 1. Timpson (2-0), 1; 2. Refugio (1-1), 2; 3. Tolar (2-0), 3; 4. Centerville (2-0), 6; 5. Hawley (1-1), 5; 6. Cooper (1-1), 4; 7. Stratford (2-0), 8; 8. Beckville (1-1), 9; 9. Crawford (1-1), 6; 10. Sonora (2-0), 10

CLASS 2A DIVISION II — 1. Albany (2-0), 1; 2. Mart (2-0), 2; 3. New Home (2-0), 3; 4. Collinsville (2-0), 6; 5. Wellington (1-1), 4; 6. Chilton (2-0), 7; 7. Wink (2-0), NR; 8. Granger (2-0), NR; 9. Falls City (1-1), 9; 10. Sunray (1-1), 10

CLASS 1A DIVISION I — 1. Gordon (2-0), 1; 2. Abbott (1-0), 2; 3. Knox City (2-0), 4; 4. Westbrook (1-1), 5; 5. Rankin (2-0), 6; 6. May (2-0), 7; 7. Jonesboro (1-1), 3; 8. Happy (1-1), 8; 9. Springlake-Earth (2-0), NR; 10. Whiteface (2-0), 10

CLASS 1A DIVISION II — 1. Benjamin (2-0), 1; 2. Oglesby (2-0), 2; 3. Jayton (2-0), 3; 4. Cherokee (2-0), 6; 5. Newcastle (2-0), 7; 6. Klondike (1-1), 4; 7. Whitharral (1-1), 8; 8. Richland Springs (2-0), 10; 9. Rochelle (2-0), NR; 10. Amherst (2-0), NR

Outside of the top 3, I can’t tell who’s good this year in 6A. Rockwall beat the brakes off of Cedar Hill week 1, so I’m thinking, Rockwall is pretty good and Cedar Hill stinks again this year.

But the next week Rockwall loses to Jesuit and Cedar Hill blows out Arlington Martin.

Since Lake Travis barely beat Arlington Martin week 1, I’m thinking they must not be that good this year, but they beat Steele 20-10. Is Steele good?

Also, Katy lost.

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Outside of the top 3, I can’t tell who’s good this year in 6A. Rockwall beat the brakes off of Cedar Hill week 1, so I’m thinking, Rockwall is pretty good and Cedar Hill stinks again this year.

But the next week Rockwall loses to Jesuit and Cedar Hill blows out Arlington Martin.

Since Lake Travis barely beat Arlington Martin week 1, I’m thinking they must not be that good this year, but they beat Steele 20-10. Is Steele good?

Also, Katy lost.

Cedar Hill QB that transfered from Mesquite Horn got hurt in the first game.

Its the top 3 then everyone else in 6A

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Also, Katy lost.

Katy lost to #7 Atascocita by 8, I wouldn't write them off just yet 

Good luck to all involved in one of Texas’ best traditions, Friday Night Lights! To all of those players, coaches, admin, support staff, band, cheerleaders, and everyone responsible for pulling the game off, have a great 2023!

One of the most important aspects is for parents, family, and friends putting their butts in the seats! Over the years I’ve officiated games on the 6-A level, that you could tell that every child participating didn’t have someone in the stands. Sad but true. I’ve experienced better atmospheres in the 2-4A levels than officiating the biggest of classifications.

Friday Nights are a gem in Texas and your child’s time there will go by quicker than anticipated.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Today I learned that Texas has a private high school named Smoking for Jesus and they have a football team.

They had a 10 or 11 win season a couple years ago. It’s a small private school out in Burnet. The makeup of their roster was, uh, surprising though. 

thankfully the sun is setting (who could possibly have seen that coming?), but ambient field temp at our local sports team facility of football is still 110*.  some neighbors asked us to go, we politely declined.  But holy shit, stay safe out there everybody-not just the players but the older fans as well.  What a wonderful Fall Sport.  

Having said that, I hope our local sports team beats the shit out of the opposing sports team that suffers from being on other side of arbitrary map lines.  Fuck 'em.

Just left the Westlake game. Had a sideline pass, which was fun. However, the game wasn't fun cause the opponent was so outclassed. It doesn't help each team when the disparity is so great.

Maybe Texas high school football should form what they tried to form for European soccer; a super league of the biggest and wealthiest clubs. You could group the best South and Central Texas teams, greater Houston, etc. Each week could be a playoff of sorts. 

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Who are you and what have you done with the real TreatyOak?

I felt sorry for the other team. It must have been sad for the families to sit there and see the tremendous imbalance in resources. Just the comparison size of the coaching staffs made it seem so unfair.

Regardless, I don't see us getting past the quarterfinals.