Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

8 hours ago, utfan87 said:

So now just making the tournament is the barometer for a successful season. Out of the transfers we took outside of weaver who would you consider a positive addition? I am totally basing this off of RT not knowing how to construct a team 

Max Abmas 

I have no idea whether these players are good or bad. But I do remember the same group here being excited about the acquisitions last year too, and none of those additions met or exceed expectations except Weaver. 

Abmas was a positive addition but did not meet expectations.  So while 87’s argument doesn’t make sense, we should all be a bit skeptical until we see some success on the court. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It’s debatable if he’s better than Garrison. They’re totally different players though. 

Preferably you would like both but seems unlikely. 

I'm just meme'ing but that dude has the best nicknames of recent memory. He was a lot of fun to watch too.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have no idea whether these players are good or bad. But I do remember the same group here being excited about the acquisitions last year too, and none of those additions met or exceed expectations except Weaver. 

Abmas was a positive addition but did not meet expectations.  So while 87’s argument doesn’t make sense, we should all be a bit skeptical until we see some success on the court. 

Why do you irrationally hate RT?

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Texas didn’t meet expectations last year because of returning players like Hunter and Mitchell being average to below average players. 

Abmas was 2nd team All Big 12 in the best conference in the country. It’s not his fault Hunter and Mitchell didn’t meet expectations. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Let’s go get the guys from a team that didn’t make the tournament. Yippee 

Ah, takes me back. Remember the 1977-8 Texas team Abe coached to the NIT title over an NC State team built around David Thompson? We got screwed out of the NCAAs and then proceeded to wreck shop. Most teams that made the NCAAs that year would have lost to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Why do you irrationally hate RT?

Yep.  He has been out on RT and maybe he’s right.  I’m still “time will tell” guy.  Dbeasy isn’t quite the mouth breather the other haters are though

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It’s debatable if he’s better than Garrison. They’re totally different players though. 

Preferably you would like both but seems unlikely. 

This will eventually spiral down to “is disorganized” and “not a leader.”

The idea Texas “didn’t meet expectations” last year because of the portal makes zero sense to me.

Two of our best 3 players were from the portal (Abmas and Weaver). Last year’s roster didn’t hit their ceiling because they relied too heavily on returning players to be good (Hunter and Mitchell) and they simply aren’t.

The miscalculation last year was not recruiting over returning players like Mitchell with better players in the portal like Kaluma. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Abmas was a nice player, but his size was an issue when we ran in to teams with big athletic guards.  Weaver was a great addition though.  I think Terry is done with undersized guards.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Personally, I think we need Garrison more than Avila. 

Avila and Shedrick together at the 5 will have some athleticism issues and especially on the perimeter. We need a more athletic mold like Garrison. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think he’s pretty much pivoted from the argument these are bad players to “RT doesn’t know how to construct a roster.”

moving-goalposts-goalposts.gif

None of these players made the tournament, who cares.

Actually it's because RT cant construct a roster

We'll see what today's argument is 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

It has been quite the while since utfan87/urinal cake was able to rile this board up with one of his dismissive, brief, negative drive-bys. He’s like the OG 6thStreet. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Avila and Shedrick together at the 5 will have some athleticism issues and especially on the perimeter. We need a more athletic mold like Garrison. 

I’m not saying Garrison isn’t coming to Texas, but you guys are starting to place a premium on him that only he and his handlers believe should be there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Eh, I frankly am much less concerned with the athleticism as much as rim protection. There's not many college centers that can take advantage of that and you can get away with both issues for the most part with athletic wings which we'll have more of and less 6' nothing guards. 

Good place to add that Florida has a 7'6 dude coming in though.

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Team will be better by not having dog shit ass Brock Cunningham on the team costing them.

Biggest upgrade will be a PG who can handle the ball and has an offensive game + a forward who can actually shoot the ball 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  He has been out on RT and maybe he’s right.  I’m still “time will tell” guy.  Dbeasy isn’t quite the mouth breather the other haters are though

Yeah, I agree. It’s completely rationale to have both some excitement and trepidation about all of this. That’s how I feel @Dbeasy is operating. 

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Abmas was a nice player, but his size was an issue when we ran in to teams with big athletic guards.  Weaver was a great addition though.  I think Terry is done with undersized guards.

I hope so, unless they’re an absolute badass at both ends like Augustin was. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I agree. It’s completely rationale to have both some excitement and trepidation about all of this. That’s how I feel @Dbeasy is operating. 

I think 80% of the board is in wait and see approach. 

however I think these recent adds are a sign that Rodney can pivot and can learn from his mistakes. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I think the biggest issue was moving Abmas to PG out of necessity. Hunter was so bad at PG that RT was forced to make a change. While Abmas was clearly an upgrade over Hunter he was better utilized as a 2/scoring guard.

I have a hard time hating on Abmas. He was a 2nd team All Big 12 player in a season he was forced to change position/roles because Hunter was so fucking awful. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I hope so, unless they’re an absolute badass at both ends like Augustin was. 

53 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The little guys have to have elite quickness.  DJ had that, but Abmas doesn't.  DJ was also a real point guard, which Max also isn't.

Even complete badasses like Augustin and Abrams fell apart against taller foes. Memphis, with Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts, used their length and athleticism to completely shut them down. 

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

How many years eligibility does Mark have left? I've seen different numbers online.

Looks like Larry and Kent only have 1 year.

Yeah I don’t know either. It looks like 1 (COVID season from 2020-21) but does he also have a medical shirt for the year he only Played 7 games?

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The idea Texas “didn’t meet expectations” last year because of the portal makes zero sense to me.

Two of our best 3 players were from the portal (Abmas and Weaver). Last year’s roster didn’t hit their ceiling because they relied too heavily on returning players to be good (Hunter and Mitchell) and they simply aren’t.

The miscalculation last year was not recruiting over returning players like Mitchell with better players in the portal like Kaluma. 

Oh come on. You are starting to sound like an unnecessary sunshine pumper rather than an objective evaluator. Here were the incoming transfers:

shedrick - underperformed; sure blame it on injuries but even when he was relatively healthy he didn’t meet expectations

Horton - totally underperformed, no debate whatsoever 

Cheaver - good pick up, exceeded expectations

Onyema- non factor

Abmas - wasn’t bad, but most people would agree he didn’t have the impact expected. 

And the existing guys failed to improve, but it wasn’t just the existing guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The biggest issue with the 2023-2024 season is that Terry let Mitchell's faction bully him into giving Mitchell a featured role at a position he had no business playing. They should have let him walk last year and signed other transfers that were interested in coming to Texas and were much better, you know, basketball players. That shit sent everything else spiraling. The team never looked like a cohesive unit. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The biggest issue with the 2023-2024 season is that Terry let Mitchell's faction bully him into giving Mitchell a featured role at a position he had no business playing. They should have let him walk last year and signed other transfers that were interested in coming to Texas and were much better, you know, basketball players. That shit sent everything else spiraling. The team never looked like a cohesive unit. 

This was the biggest problem. 

All the players listed above by @Dbeasy were recruited as role players other than Abmas.  They were expecting Disu, Hunter, and Mitchell to be starting caliber players and only 1 of those was truly a starting caliber player. 

If you add just 1 transfer that was an above average Big 12 starter in place of Hunter and Mitchell, this Texas team would have been much better. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This was the biggest problem. 

All the players listed above by @Dbeasy were recruited as role players other than Abmas.  They were expecting Disu, Hunter, and Mitchell to be starting caliber players and only 1 of those was truly a starting caliber player. 

If you add just 1 transfer that was an above average Big 12 starter in place of Hunter and Mitchell, this Texas team would have been much better. 

Yeah, you said it many times, but if we have taken Kaluma and told Mitchell to pound sand, this team would have been much better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, kevwun said:

Shedrick looked pretty good by the end of the year.  He will be solid next season.

I want to see fully healthy, no coming off offseason surgeries + sore back Shedrick. 

Jamie Shaw (On3 national basketball guy)

C Aaron Bradshaw, Kentucky

INTEL: I wrote last week, after Aaron Bradshaw went into the Transfer Portal, that Ohio State and USC were two programs I was immediately told to watch with the 7-footer. Bradshaw went on a visit to Ohio State this weekend. Sources close to the recruitment tell me that the visit went well and that Ohio State likes where things are at. Naturally, the recruitment is not done. UNC and Texas are two other programs sources suggest to monitor here. The Tar Heels are in on a couple of big men with Yale transfer Danny Wolf scheduled to come in this weekend. Even with some Buckeye momentum, the timeline of things is worth paying attention to.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The biggest issue with the 2023-2024 season is that Terry let Mitchell's faction bully him into giving Mitchell a featured role at a position he had no business playing.

This wasn't even remotely the biggest issue with the team last season. I'm amazed you comment on basketball at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, you said it many times, but if we have taken Kaluma and told Mitchell to pound sand, this team would have been much better. 

I had some funny arguments about this last offseason. I knew this Mitchell > Kaluma decision would haunt us. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I don’t know either. It looks like 1 (COVID season from 2020-21) but does he also have a medical shirt for the year he only Played 7 games?

Burnt Orange Nation report said 1 but the Arkansas reports when he entered the portal all said 2, so yeah idk

edit: looks like he did get a medical redshirt - Tramon Mark - Men's Basketball - University of Houston Athletics (uhcougars.com)

Edited by Tex-19

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Burnt Orange Nation report said 1 but the Arkansas reports when he entered the portal all said 2, so yeah idk

I think it would be 2 and Texas would apply for the medical RS for 2025-26.  He's only played 2 full seasons that count (22-23 and 23-24) with 20-21 not counting and 21-22 only 7 games due to injury. 

2024-25 would be his fourth season that counts, but he gets one back due to medical RS

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jamie Shaw (On3 national basketball guy)

C Aaron Bradshaw, Kentucky

INTEL: I wrote last week, after Aaron Bradshaw went into the Transfer Portal, that Ohio State and USC were two programs I was immediately told to watch with the 7-footer. Bradshaw went on a visit to Ohio State this weekend. Sources close to the recruitment tell me that the visit went well and that Ohio State likes where things are at. Naturally, the recruitment is not done. UNC and Texas are two other programs sources suggest to monitor here. The Tar Heels are in on a couple of big men with Yale transfer Danny Wolf scheduled to come in this weekend. Even with some Buckeye momentum, the timeline of things is worth paying attention to.

Guess not