Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

I don't give a damn what the odds say.  I still feel like we're 50/50 at best to win this series.  Hope the squad has the same mindset - still playing with house money!     Really need the bats to wake up and have a couple of big games.  I would be pretty shocked if we hold them to 4 or less again.  
We haven't faced any real adversity this whole playoffs. We were streaky the entire season. Either we were in the midst of winning a lot of games or losing a lot. It's how we kept going from big division leads to giving it to, got it back and built it back up to blowing it. I'm curious how we perform the first time we lose or get down early in a game. It will happen at some point. Hope we can bounce back and go win the next one.

I'm jaded as a DFW sports fan. I'm always waiting for the wheels to come off at any given time.

Game 3 is going to be huge. Win that and you get 2 more in a row to close it out at home and move on. Lose game 3 and my nerves will start to kick in and game 4 becomes massive.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Why wouldn’t Holland be the one throwing the pitch /nohomo?

Dutch still has the #1 postseason start in Rangers history, edging out Cliff Lee’s masterpiece in Yankee Stadium…

I replay and reread about the 2010 postseason all the time and never about 2011 so I hardly remember it at all. 

26 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Dutch still has the #1 postseason start in Rangers history, edging out Cliff Lee’s masterpiece in Yankee Stadium…

Probably because Dutch just had Tommy John about 7 weeks ago.  

I was at that game 4 to tie the Cardinals. Absolute masterpiece. Too bad he couldn't complete the game but that standing ovation he got when he was pulled was incredible. I really thought after this game, it was his coming of age and he was going to be our ace for years to come. But just didn't work out for various reasons.

Was Cliff Lee game 3 or 4 of that Yankees series? Don't forget about his brilliant outings in games 1 and 5 against Tampa, too.

31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Was Cliff Lee game 3 or 4 of that Yankees series? Don't forget about his brilliant outings in games 1 and 5 against Tampa, too.

3.  Four was the Holland and Hunter combined game that was the source of the great Nolan laughing at blowing out the yankees gif. 

image.gif.54bfabb4495747e896a9aff8239e9c0e.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

I don't give a damn what the odds say.  I still feel like we're 50/50 at best to win this series.  Hope the squad has the same mindset - still playing with house money!     Really need the bats to wake up and have a couple of big games.  I would be pretty shocked if we hold them to 4 or less again.  

Still have Montgomery and Eovaldi in games 5 and 6 if necessary 

49 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Still have Montgomery and Eovaldi in games 5 and 6 if necessary 

Oh I'm aware.  And I hope I'm wrong and we can continue to shut down their lineup.  But I just feel like both offenses are about to wake up in Arlington after a couple of pitching duels.

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

3.  Four was the Holland and Hunter combined game that was the source of the great Nolan laughing at blowing out the yankees gif. 

image.gif.54bfabb4495747e896a9aff8239e9c0e.gif

I was randomly in NY for a deal closing as a young attorney and a NY colleague I just met scored me tix to that game from a vendor.  Was amazing.

Edited by Skipper

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Reports are that Scherzer has about 70 pitches in him tonight. 

We need to close this out in Arlington. I don’t want any part of going back to Houston at 3-2. 

What do you mean? I've been told that their real advantage is on the road. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Reports are that Scherzer has about 70 pitches in him tonight. 

We need to close this out in Arlington. I don’t want any part of going back to Houston at 3-2. 

Yep. This is why the Scherzer start makes me nervous. No idea what he will give us after a month off. And now we know he only has about 70 pitches, I expect Houston to try and drive his pitch count up and get to our bullpen. Another quick start like game 2 would be awesome. And this time, keep adding onto it over the game instead of fizzling out. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. This is why the Scherzer start makes me nervous. No idea what he will give us after a month off. And now we know he only has about 70 pitches, I expect Houston to try and drive his pitch count up and get to our bullpen. Another quick start like game 2 would be awesome. And this time, keep adding onto it over the game instead of fizzling out. 

I think your apprehension is fair but the way I look at it, at the end of the day, we brought in two pitchers at the trade deadline for this exact scenario and reason, for an extended playoff run to win. One of those pitchers in Jordan Montgomery has absolutely understood the assignment. Scherzer is a veteran who knows his role and responsibility here and has enough pride in his work, and the game of baseball, to want to compete and contribute. I think he shows up tonight and we put the series to bed, more or less. Let's go.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

That's fair.  But it's also a good thing that we have 5 "starters" in the pen that could give us anywhere from 2-5 innings...because we're absolutely going to need it at least twice if not 3 times in the next few days.   Hopefully we can get 4-5 solid from Scherzer today.  If it's 4 and we're up, bring in Bradford.  If it's 4 and we're close, bring in Heaney.  Tomorrow, Dunning and whomever didn't relieve Scherzer get the bulk of the day.  If we make it to Friday, Montgomery gets the bump.  

• Like 2

jonah, marcus, nate, and corey (what) are all gold glove finalists.  no josh.  mauricio dubon of the astros is also a finalist at 2nd base. what's the minimum number of games you gotta have at that position to qualify?  i thought it would have been more than 50% of total games. 

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I tweeted this a second ago and wanted to get y'alls thoughts here.  I'm just now watching Jung a lot.  Surprised by how weak his arm is.  Is this a thing or am I just getting some skewed view from a few bad throws or something?

Fangraphs called his arm "plus" in their 2022 scouting report on him. Didn't mention it in the 2023 report. His 2022 shoulder injury was on his non-throwing shoulder.

28 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

jonah, marcus, nate, and corey (what) are all gold glove finalists.  no josh.  mauricio dubon of the astros is also a finalist at 2nd base. what's the minimum number of games you gotta have at that position to qualify?  i thought it would have been more than 50% of total games. 

You didn't mention Adolis and I about shat my drawers.

He's there of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I tweeted this a second ago and wanted to get y'alls thoughts here.  I'm just now watching Jung a lot.  Surprised by how weak his arm is.  Is this a thing or am I just getting some skewed view from a few bad throws or something?

This is an...interesting...take. 

I thought his arm was a cannon. I sat behind 3rd base this year at Globe Life and seeing it firsthand POV, was impressive.

18 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

He definitely has a different arm delivery which makes the ball coming out look a little different, but his arm is plenty strong.  

19 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

From what I can tell against non-speedsters he takes a few MPH off his throws to make a more accurate toss. 

Early in the playoffs when Carter was getting on base every time he was coming up I joked that he'd be telling the other guys, "Why not just get on base every time....it's not that hard."

This is an actual quote from Carter about his approach at the plate. 

"The pitcher is trying to paint the black. Why do I want to swing at pitches he's going to get me out on?"

Just let the close pitches go by that are designed to get you out. Easy.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38674614/mlb-playoffs-2023-evan-carter-texas-rangers-alcs-breakout-star

• Haha 1