2024 NBA draft - Bronny in the top ten?

closetohumping

On 4/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, Royal Horn said:

Every time I saw Bronny play this year, all I saw him do was stand around on both ends of the floor without much intensity whatsoever.

Rarely do the kids of legends come even remotely close to what their dads did.  Nobody would even be talking about Bronny if he had a different last name.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I've ever seen an NBA draft as messy and unpredictable as this one. I suppose there will be a little more clarity once the lottery goes down, but probably not much.

Iin the meantime here is a consensus draft that takes input from the Athletic, ESPN, The Ringer, Tankathon, Yahoo, and a bunch more of them.

image.thumb.png.aced9e56cc74c702ed686d3b479181ea.png

I do think it's most likely that Sarr ends up number 1. I think that scouts will look at all the other guys and say fuck it, let's default to drafting the biggest most athletic dude with the highest upside. But who knows? Each guy has some serious flaws, including Sarr.

• Risacher was thought to be maybe the safest prospect who at worst case would be a serviceable three and D guy, but his shooting has gone into the toilet over the past several weeks. And people are wondering which part of his season is the aberration.
  • Topic got hurt just when his team stepped up in class and has been slow to recover from something that was perceived to be minor. Another guy with suspect outside shooting. You also wonder if he can guard anybody.
  • Dillingham is undersized and a poor defender.
  • Clingan is not really built for the modern game.
  • Sheppard is undersized and white athletically limited.
  • Buzelis can't shoot.
  • Castle can't shoot, either.
  • Cody Williams was injured, often invisible, and has a sketchy 3 point shooting projection.
  • Ron Holland is yet another guy who can't shoot.

One guy who I kinda have my eye on is Jared McCain from Duke. He's one of the better shooters in the draft, a surprisingly decent rebounder for his size, and probably a better athlete and defender than given credit for. I think he's going to shoot up the board as we get closer to the draft.

I'm interested to see where the older guys like Dalton Knecht, Devin Carter and Terrance Shannon go. In this draft in particular, teams may opt for more established prospects earlier in than we've seen in the past.

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't know that I've ever seen an NBA draft as messy and unpredictable as this one. I suppose there will be a little more clarity once the lottery goes down, but probably not much.

Iin the meantime here is a consensus draft that takes input from the Athletic, ESPN, The Ringer, Tankathon, Yahoo, and a bunch more of them.

I do think it's most likely that Sarr ends up number 1. I think that scouts will look at all the other guys and say fuck it, let's default to drafting the biggest most athletic dude with the highest upside. But who knows? Each guy has some serious flaws, including Sarr.

• Risacher was thought to be maybe the safest prospect who at worst case would be a serviceable three and D guy, but his shooting has gone into the toilet over the past several weeks. And people are wondering which part of his season is the aberration.
  • Topic got hurt just when his team stepped up in class and has been slow to recover from something that was perceived to be minor. Another guy with suspect outside shooting. You also wonder if he can guard anybody.
  • Buzelis can't shoot.
  • Cody Williams was injured, often invisible, and has a sketchy 3 point shooting projection.

One guy who I kinda have my eye on is Jared McCain from Duke. He's one of the better shooters in the draft, a surprisingly decent rebounder for his size, and probably a better athlete and defender than given credit for. I think he's going to shoot up the board as we get closer to the draft.

I'm interested to see where the older guys like Dalton Knecht, Devin Carter and Terrance Shannon go. In this draft in particular, teams may opt for more established prospects earlier in than we've seen in the past.

Cody Williams was really coming into his own right before he got hurt and was never right for the rest of the season.  He's going to be a good one but does need to work on his 3.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Reed Sheppard being projected #6 overall just blows my mind.  He doesn't even look like a guy who should be in the first round.

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Figured he lost money after his ncaat performance. 

Well, I'll be damned. Sheppard actually declared and forwent his remaining eligibility. I did not expect that to happen. I wonder how much the coaching change influenced it?

The pre-draft workouts and scrimmages (G League Elite Camp) and the following combine in May are going to really alter these mocks - much more so than many years, I'd bet.

Regarding Sheppard, it's also a matter of next year's draft class being much deeper/better, so it probably pushes him down a few slots if he comes back. But anytime you can go first round, much less projected in the top 15 -- or even better top 10 -- you gotta go. You're an idiot if you don't.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Cody Williams was really coming into his own right before he got hurt and was never right for the rest of the season.  He's going to be a good one but does need to work on his 3.

He's one of the guys I'm really high on but I do wonder how much of his projection is based on his brother. I mean, a 2-3 inch taller version of Jalen Williams is an extremely enticing prospect. He was also playing on a veteran team so he wasn't featured as much as you would probably like to see. So just like the rest of them, it's a difficult evaluation. The interviews and workouts will be critical for him but it's probably going to come down to how much you believe in his shooting.

• Like 1

Why are people surprised the guy who shot over 50% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game and added 4 rebounds, 4.5 assists, and 2.5 steals in under 30 minutes a game is leaving to be a guaranteed lottery pick with potential to be in the top 5?

10 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

• Buzelis can't shoot.

I'd take Castle ahead of Sheppard all day long. Dude is smoove. 

On 4/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

• Buzelis can't shoot.

i like McCain too.  i'm hoping for one of McCaiin, Williams, or Castle for the Rockets if they end up picking #9.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck it, after being the worst team in the league back to back years and ending up with the 5th pick both years... Draft Bronny at #5, sign Lebron for 2 years, and at least you put fans in the seats while being horrible. 

The Pistons suck, and may be the worst run organization in all of sports, but the fans are being punished and that sucks. Can't get better if you keep picking 5th, and no players want to sign with you. 

50 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Fuck it, after being the worst team in the league back to back years and ending up with the 5th pick both years... Draft Bronny at #5, sign Lebron for 2 years, and at least you put fans in the seats while being horrible. 

The Pistons suck, and may be the worst run organization in all of sports, but the fans are being punished and that sucks. Can't get better if you keep picking 5th, and no players want to sign with you. 

As a father myself, even that has limits. I ain’t going to Detroit 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

the woe is me act from pistons fans is hilarious.  you've had the #1 overall pick followed by the #5 overall pick for three straight years.  if you can't get better with that its 100% on your front office.

The front office is horrible. That is the problem. Troy Weaver is the worst general manager in Detroit sports history, and that is a city that had Matt Millen. It is why I said they are the worst run organization in professional sports. The fans are getting it from both sides, the team is fucking clueless and putting it in our asses, and the dumb ass lottery process is shoving it down our throats. 

We are getting spit roasted, and until Gores sells the team we are just going to keep getting gaped.

• Hook 'Em 2

Per the current thread title, Bronny medically cleared and staying in the draft. He definitely ain't going top 10.

Will the LABrons happen? I'm really hoping they pick him in the first round. Please. Fuck the Lakers.

It's a weak draft but them wasting that pick to appease and cajole LeBron into staying, two days before he decides to opt in or leave, would be amazing.

Or even better, another team trolls the Lakers and picks him before them in the 2nd round. I can't imagine a team that dumb, but anything that fucks the Lakers is delicious.

Did I mention fuck the Lakers...

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

The Phoenix Suns, Atlanta Falcons, Indianapolis Colts and Carolina Panthers all exist.

5 hours ago, Juicy said:

The front office is horrible. That is the problem. Troy Weaver is the worst general manager in Detroit sports history, and that is a city that had Matt Millen. It is why I said they are the worst run organization in professional sports. The fans are getting it from both sides, the team is fucking clueless and putting it in our asses, and the dumb ass lottery process is shoving it down our throats. 

We are getting spit roasted, and until Gores sells the team we are just going to keep getting gaped.

I don't want to pile on, but when I found out today that they're searching for a new president of basketball operations and using Billy King as the lead on the search committee, I almost shit myself laughing. Billy King oversaw arguably the worst trade in NBA history when he traded Boston the picks that turned out to be Jaylon Brown and Jayson Tatum for the rotting corpses of KG, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry. I guess Isiah was too busy fucking up the Suns to help out his old team, but come the fuck on. Billy King? Holy shit.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-big-lottery-moves-of-atlanta-houston-add-another-layer-of-offseason-intrigue-234442947.html

However, there’s as much uncertainty about which executive will have final say over such a major decision as there is about this class’ premier talent. Detroit has already announced the Pistons are looking to bring in a new president of basketball operations above general manager Troy Weaver, utilizing search firm Turnkey, where former Nets and Sixers executive Billy King plays an integral role in all basketball advisory services.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

Is this still the narrative with regard to Bronny?  I don't know how self-aware the James' are, but maybe dad and son got together and decided to float this idea out there to see how high they can get him drafted, knowing that he would never really achieve a 1st round draft projection otherwise. I seriously doubt Lebron is going to pack up and go wherever his son goes, but I guess the timing of the offseason could make it work.  The schedule below shows that the first day of negotiations could begin as early as June 15th in a Finals sweep, or as late as June 24th. The draft is the 26/27th, so there should be about 2-7 days between the beginning of free agent negotiations and the draft. Would a team negotiate with Lebron to pick Bronny and then sign him the next day?  It's a weak draft, so throwing away a 2nd on him probably isn't too much of an issue for a few teams. It would be hilarious if a team thought they could get Lebron by drafting his kid, and then he re-signs with the Lakers the next day. 

June 17: NBA Finals 2024 presented by YouTube TV Game 5 (if necessary)
June 20: NBA Finals 2024 presented by YouTube TV Game 6 (if necessary)
June 23: NBA Finals 2024 presented by YouTube TV Game 7 (if necessary)
Day After Last Game of NBA Finals: Each NBA team may begin negotiating with upcoming free agents who finished the just-completed season on its roster.
June 26: NBA Draft 2024 presented by State Farm (First Round)
June 27: NBA Draft 2024 presented by State Farm (Second Round)

June 30: Each NBA team may begin negotiating with all other upcoming free agents (beginning at 6 p.m. ET).
July 6: Each NBA team may begin signing free agents to contracts (12:01 p.m. ET).

15 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't want to pile on, but when I found out today that they're searching for a new president of basketball operations and using Billy King as the lead on the search committee, I almost shit myself laughing. Billy King oversaw arguably the worst trade in NBA history when he traded Boston the picks that turned out to be Jaylon Brown and Jayson Tatum for the rotting corpses of KG, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry. I guess Isiah was too busy fucking up the Suns to help out his old team, but come the fuck on. Billy King? Holy shit.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-big-lottery-moves-of-atlanta-houston-add-another-layer-of-offseason-intrigue-234442947.html

Not to turn this into tell me about the Detroit Pistons, but the whole situation is insane. Gores is apparently friends with Weaver which is creating a horrible situation due to Weaver being awful at his job. The Pistons have no real plan, and their entire strategy for getting better has been to keep taking fliers on previous lottery busts. Josh Jackson, Marvin Bagley, Weisman, Denis Smith Jr. Shockingly this hasn't worked out. 

Now the Pistons have a few decent young pieces and one good piece. Cade and Ivey can't exist together, but Ivey has no trade value, Duren and Weisman can't exist together and don't space the floor. Ausar could eventually be a poor mans Ron Artest defender with slight offensive game, and then the next guys are Fontecchio, Grimes and Flynn who are deep bench players on any semi decent team. Can't forget about big Beef Stew and the pistons giving him 20 mil a year for a guy who probably doesn't even make the team on a contender.

I honestly have no clue how to fix this team, but maybe in this draft you just take a 3 that can shoot lights out and give yourselves some sort of perimeter threat? Weaver will probably instead pick another one dimensional big man and leave the 3 unaddressed for the 5th straight year. 

No free agents want to come here, but Klay is a shell of himself and the Pistons have a ton of cap space, so maybe you over pay him and let him be a shooter and hopefully mentor Cade? 

I don't fucking know, it is just a completely hopeless situation. Need to full commit to the OKC way and horde assets for the next few years. 

Bronny is performing well at the NBA Combine. He might just find himself being drafted because someone has to be drafted this year. And while better college players might go undrafted, why take a college player who had 18 Ppg when Bronny gives you press and the potential to get LeBron.

and does it change the Lakers win total if they keep the current 12th man or draft Bronny?

(to be clear, Bronny does not deserve to be drafted based on his history but who said the NBA was a meritocracy?)

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bronny is performing well at the NBA Combine.

Minus the part where his actual height will likely prohibit him from ever contributing to an NBA roster. 

I don't think anyone will be shocked if he gets drafted - it's the turning into an NBA player part that most people are out on. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If he wasn't Lebron's son he wouldn't be drafted, period.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Scorching hot take incoming. 

no one is saying that he would be drafted on his own merits. He also wouldn't have been at USC if his last name wasn't James. Not to mention that LeBron can get Bronny the coaching and training to prepare him for the combine. Like with all sports, athletes now hyper-prepare for the combine just to put up incredible numbers.

It's not a stretch to think that LeBron as the all-time best, or at least in the discussion, can get his son into the NBA. The guy at the end of the bench doesn't contribute much during games so why not give that spot to Bronny. Bronny is going to face criticism from the away fans at every stop but I bet that LeBron is pushing him because LeBron is ready to call it quits but wants at least 1 season with his son.

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

no one is saying that he would be drafted on his own merits. He also wouldn't have been at USC if his last name wasn't James. Not to mention that LeBron can get Bronny the coaching and training to prepare him for the combine. Like with all sports, athletes now hyper-prepare for the combine just to put up incredible numbers.

It's not a stretch to think that LeBron as the all-time best, or at least in the discussion, can get his son into the NBA. The guy at the end of the bench doesn't contribute much during games so why not give that spot to Bronny. Bronny is going to face criticism from the away fans at every stop but I bet that LeBron is pushing him because LeBron is ready to call it quits but wants at least 1 season with his son.

There's more to it than just Lebron flexing. Klutch has become one of the most influential agencies in the league. Nobody has leveraged their relationships more than them to get clients overpaid. If they can get someone to select Bronny in the first round with the guaranteed money that comes with it, then hats off to them..  It would be a coup. It would also be a really bad look for the Lakers to blow the #17 pick on him. But the second round has become open season for agents to direct their clients to friendly front offices and favorable circumstances. I could totally see that happening, but not without Klutch/Lebron's blessing. It's not worth the blowback from Klutch for someone like Detroit to select him.

11 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Bronny needs Johnny Football's height trainer to help him temporarily straighten his spine prior to the combine. 2 more inches in height can mean a lot in the NBA Draft.

2 more inches means a lot to South Austin's mom, too.