Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

I love Dogus; he can immediately impact (🤞) the team defense and ball distribution.  And to piggyback on earlier observations, get in the tournament and who knows?  Hunter struggled last year and had us all calling for his head, then in the post-season he pulled it together.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

His best attributes (hustle and athleticism) can't be taught, though, so hopefully there are other lessons he can impart. Very interested to see how it shakes out.

Athleticism can't be taught, but it can be improved with conditioning.  Hustle can absolutely be taught and then reinforced through playing time.  

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Athleticism can't be taught, but it can be improved with conditioning.  Hustle can absolutely be taught and then reinforced through playing time.  

Going to ignore your first statement since it was unnecessary. However, I would counter the same applies to hustle--a coach can improve it, but without that outside pressure, the athlete who didn't hustle on his own will return to his roots and start to slack again, i.e., you can affect it but you can't really teach it.

as it relates to D, which is what Balbay really excelled at, positioning, keying, film work/tendencies, working within the team defense, absolutely can be taught.  

the will to play high effort D can't really be taught but it can be encouraged.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Abmas at 2,955 points

I'd love to see him get 20 ppg to finish the regular season (180 points) to get him to 8th.  Then Big 12 tournament + NCAA tournament (say 4 games) would get him another 80 points and 6th all-time

Come on Max, time to fucking go off and get into the top 5

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Abmas at 2,955 points

I'd love to see him get 20 ppg to finish the regular season (180 points) to get him to 8th.  Then Big 12 tournament + NCAA tournament (say 4 games) would get him another 80 points and 6th all-time

Come on Max, time to fucking go off and get into the top 5

I was looking at this earlier too.  He should easily get to 8th but beyond that means he went crazy or we play several more games.  I'm good with both!

Horton being unplayable has just forced us into some horrific lineup combinations. Seeing Cunningham, Mitchell and Shedrick out there together makes me almost wish Devin Askew was back on this team. 

We are effectively playing 7 guys right now and 3 of them are zero threat from deep (Shedrick, Mitchell, Weaver), with Hunter being pretty bad as well of late.

Some of this of course falls on the coaches because they constructed this thing and missed on some of their primary portal targets, but damn it needs to get fixed this offseason. Weaver, Onyema, Pryor, Johnson, Shedrick (I think he has a covid year) and maybe Mitchell (if he somehow wanted to return) are the only returning dudes I would want to see on next year's roster. Everybody else with eligibility remaining should be processed.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think Texas will win out at home, probably win at tech and lose the rest. 

I’m not sure what going 1-4 at home to date leads you to conclude we win out at home.

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

3-5, finish 7-11, NIT or some bullshit 

Seems like it.

10 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think Texas will win out at home, probably win at tech and lose the rest. 

I think you’re misusing “probably” and “possibly.” We could possibly win at tech, but it’s not probable. They’re favored using ESPN metrics 65-35. They’ll be hype as it’s out last time playing in Lubbock for the foreseeable future. Sure, we’ve been better on the road than at home, but Lubbock is a tougher place to play than FW or Norman.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

kenpom currently projects Texas to be tied with BYU for 10th in the league at 8-10. only UCF, WVU, and OSU predicted to finish with a worse record.

maybe the same media that told us to hire Terry can help him get in the tournament. I mean how can you leave an EE coach out of the tournament?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think you’re misusing “probably” and “possibly.” We could possibly win at tech, but it’s not probable. They’re favored using ESPN metrics 65-35. They’ll be hype as it’s out last time playing in Lubbock for the foreseeable future. Sure, we’ve been better on the road than at home, but Lubbock is a tougher place to play than FW or Norman.

Yeah this team is weird. They could win or lose all remaining games tbh. I have a feeling they will squeak into the tourney and win a game before losing in boneheaded fashion to a team we couldve beaten if we had a higher basketball IQ.  

Yeah, I'd take a 7 seed right this second.

But I hate hate HATE regular season rematches before the Sweet 16. 

Also let's be real, IF that was the bracket, I see 2 different things happen:

• aggy and Miss St. trade spots so we can face aggy in round 1 and Shaka in round 2
  • They flip us into Charlotte with Tech so we face Barnes in round 2

They love nothing more than to pit us against aggy in the postseason - volleyball, softball, etc. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We've got "stars" committing terrible turnovers, bouncing balls off their own feet when they dribble, falling down when they start a drive toward the basket, and get pushed around all over the place.

I'll be happy with one win in the tournament.  

251.png?w=110&h=110

Texas Longhorns
With a home loss to Iowa State dropping Texas to 4-6 in the Big 12 and 15-8 overall, the Longhorns appear to be following a path we've seen before from at-large-quality teams in the Big 12. Picture a group that looks great in the NET rankings and at KenPom but is yet to string together sustained runs of victories. Rodney Terry's team owns road wins against TCU and Oklahoma, but UT is now 1-4 at home in Big 12 play. While the Horns were showing up in mock brackets as high as the No. 7 line prior to the loss to the Cyclones, we at Bubble Watch feel safer keeping this group in "Work to do" for just a bit longer. (updated Feb. 7)

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree wholeheartedly that there's work to do.

A W last night would have done a good bit of that work but we pissed it away in the 1st half. By my count in the first half Hunter missed 2 wide open layups, Abmas missed 2 or 3 wide open 3s, and Disu missed a wide open 3 as well.

This team is maddening to watch. I keep telling myself we have good individual players who could compete with anybody on any given night, and all we need to do is get on a hot streak. In reality, we have a disjointed, sloppy, inconsistent group who can't seem to figure out how to play together as a team and at times, we play some individuals who give very questionable effort. At this point, we are what we are - that first half last night was absolutely pathetic. I feel bad this is how Dylan and Brock are going to go out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

They love nothing more than to pit us against aggy in the postseason - volleyball, softball, etc. 

Based on results, one could legitimately argue the powers that be like to give Texas an easy match-up with little travel. Kinda how Duke always got matched with a directional school in Greensboro to start the run. Respek.

• Haha 1

We looked incredibly poorly coached last night and Hunter played about as poorly as I’ve ever seen someone with his talent level play.  Why our offense didn’t run thru Disu in the 1st half, I’ll never know.  Kudos to the team for clawing back into the game, but based on my view from last night, the tourney would be a waste of time for this team, and the longer we let Terry hang around the worse off we’ll be.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

We looked incredibly poorly coached last night and Hunter played about as poorly as I’ve ever seen someone with his talent level play.  Why our offense didn’t run thru Disu in the 1st half, I’ll never know.  Kudos to the team for clawing back into the game, but based on my view from last night, the tourney would be a waste of time for this team, and the longer we let Terry hang around the worse off we’ll be.

Terry occasionally makes some good decisions and adjustments but I feel like I’m congratulating a toddler on finally pooping in the potty. There are some fundamental flaws with the “team”. Ugly Texas basketball is witnessed far too often. Not sure the light bulb is coming on for coaching but one can hope, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

*fellow SID interns who fill out those things. Coaches couldn't care less.

It's a preseason poll. We were also picked to finish 2nd in 2021-2022, received two first-place votes and went 10-8. Kansas State was picked to finish dead last a year ago and went to the elite eight. They were picked to finish 6th this season and won't make the tournament. 

Edited by Hookem2147

looking at the schedule i’m seeing us heading into the season finale at 7-10 with a home game against OU being a must-win game, or essentially a play-in game, save us winning 2+ games in the league tourney. if we don’t take a game or two that we shouldn’t between now and then that’s going to be a tough season finale with that much on the line.

7 wins won’t be good enough if the 3 to get there are all home wins.

Now, if we steal one in Lubbock, Waco or Houston? 7 might be enough regardless of what happens in Kansas City considering our NET is respectable when looking at bubble teams of previous years. That would also give us 4 road Q1 wins which would have to be up there with any team in the country.

Edited by Hookem2147

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

looking at the schedule i’m seeing us heading into the season finale at 7-10 with a home game against OU being a must-win game, or essentially a play-in game, save us winning 2+ games in the league tourney. if we don’t take a game or two that we shouldn’t between now and then that’s going to be a tough season finale with that much on the line.

This team could go head-to-head with UCONN again and come within a few possession of an upset which would make us all happy or could also lose to a team like SMU on any given night. 

I can’t predict anything about this time. I’m not sure who could.

well despite this team being deemed unpredictable, i’ll try anyway, because this is how i see it:

wins: wvu, osu

losses: @ houston, @ ku, @ baylor, @ ttu

questionable: ksu, ou

the only one of those that i feel somewhat iffy about is calling baylor an automatic loss because their defense is garbage, but then i ask myself just how many more road wins we can expect in this league. for me the ou game and the k state are tough to predict, but for the rest of our schedule, i’d be very surprised if the results didn’t pan out the way i expect them to. 

Edited by shadow_operative

I think Massey's odds are pretty reasonable.  Odds are 78% that we will beat ONE of Baylor, Tech, Kansas, or Houston.  But... the odds are only 28% that we will win out at home.   

So my guess is that we go 4-4 to close the year with a surprise win on the road and a surprise loss at home.

image.png.8307ba4376b30872339cd6b1aef6c32e.png

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I think Massey's odds are pretty reasonable.  Odds are 78% that we will beat ONE of Baylor, Tech, Kansas, or Houston.  But... the odds are only 28% that we will win out at home.   

So my guess is that we go 4-4 to close the year with a surprise win on the road and a surprise loss at home.

image.png.8307ba4376b30872339cd6b1aef6c32e.png

Naked And Afraid Xl Jungle GIF by Discovery

i’m bringing this over from the game thread. i’m done with this team. and i don’t blame the players at all. but this team isn’t going anywhere as long as this coaching staff is in charge.

x/post-

(on this play disu got a dunk, ended up out of bounds, screamed at his teammates to get back on D, then sprinted down the court, passing all of his teammates in the process, and ended up being the first guy back on defense, just in time to watch wvu get an easy dunk)

IMG_8303.thumb.jpeg.410a55544ea54092cf30418030f4ab8d.jpeg

there are singular plays where a team shows you crystal clear what their identity is, and this was one of those plays. how do you look at this photo and reconcile that dylan disu ended up passing up every single one of this teammates getting back on defense, not to mention that wvu got an easy dunk out of it. who gives a shit if he was actually with the photographers or a full three feet closer to the court? this complete lack of effort and competence from our team is bullshit. i’m out on this team. this coaching staff has undone every single bit of what their predecessors built. i cannot abide by that lack of effort. period.

Edited by shadow_operative