Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Source: Disu 'still being evaluated' (247)

Source: Disu 'still being evaluated'

12319374.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Ron Jenkins, Getty)

Texas 6-foot-9-inch senior forward Dylan Disu, the Longhorns’ second-leading scorer this season, averaging 16.1 points per game, was “still being evaluated” after suffering a knee injury with 10:50 left in a 93-85 loss at Baylor on Monday, a source close to the situation told Horns247 on Wednesday night.

The source said Disu was getting a second opinion for what was reported by ESPN sideline reporter Kris Budden Monday night as a left knee sprain. A knee sprain is a micro tear of a ligament, which usually recovers on its own in anywhere from a week to six weeks, depending on the extent of the micro-tear.

The source said they’re “cautiously optimistic” regarding the status of the injury.

Texas coach Rodney Terry said of Disu after the Baylor game, “We think he’s going to be OK.” Terry added in an update on Tuesday that Disu “is trying to push through it.”

Texas (19-11, 8-9 Big 12), which is still fighting for its NCAA Tournament life, plays its regular-season finale on Senior Day at home against Oklahoma (20-10, 8-9) on Saturday (1 p.m., ESPN).

The Longhorns won the first meeting against OU this season - 75-60 - in Norman on Jan. 23.

As of Wednesday night, most bracketology has Texas in the NCAA Tournament field of 68 ranging from a No. 8 to No 10 seed.

Next week, Texas will head to Kansas City for the Big 12 Tournament, where the Longhorns could land anywhere from the No. 7 seed to the No. 10 seed, depending on the outcomes of regular-season finales this weekend.  — CHIP BROWN

18 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Typically knee sprains are month long injuries at minimum. But very minor tweaks can be pretty quick turnarounds. Also sometimes people like Disu are just built different. lol

Someone who would know indicated that it was a freakish kind of lockup with no further ramifications. Do they bench him for OU as a precaution? I can see it, but they're daring the selection committee if they lose to OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone who would know indicated that it was a freakish kind of lockup with no further ramifications. Do they bench him for OU as a precaution? I can see it, but they're daring the selection committee if they lose to OU.

Shedrick and Onyema are going to have career days vs. OU. /ducks

Edited by UTEE97

With Disu's knee and Cunningham's thumb, we are basically a 6 man rotation that adds some 7th man minutes for Onyema.  If we'd been able to get a couple other scholarship guys in for a few serious developmental minutes in prior games, we might have a little more to lean on.  As it stands, Shedrick will need to be very good and Hunter and/or Horton will likely need a solid scoring game for us to prevail against OU.  I am more confident in Shedrick (unless his back problems flare up) than Hunter and Horton.  Abmas needs to play under control and look to pass rather than throw up the off-balance, half court shit if they choose to take him out of the game with double teams and press defense.  He went from amazing to wtf when Disu went down in the last game.  A lot of that was because Baylor decided to take him out and our offense devolved to him forcing up bad shots in the final 1/4 of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

i’ve had this happen with my injured knee a couple of times. it feels more “wrong” than it does painful, and you kinda of go into a panic over it. you get that same shot of adrenaline and fea that you get when you tear something, but there is no new injury. i really really hope that’s what this is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve had this happen with my injured knee a couple of times. it feels more “wrong” than it does painful, and you kinda of go into a panic over it. you get that same shot of adrenaline and fea that you get when you tear something, but there is no new injury. i really really hope that’s what this is.

I’ve had this happen too except I was getting off the recliner to head to the fridge. Hoping disu has the same courage I did that day to keep on pushing.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

When do we play next?  Wednesday?

Yep, no way to fall low enough to play Tuesday or rise high enough to get a bye until Thursday. Looks to me like we’re locked into playing OU again no matter what, which would be 2:00 on Weds….

Edited by Ignatius

On 1/19/2024 at 12:22 PM, closetojumping said:

The only time I ever rooted for Texas to lose at anything was in the second half of the KU game that Chuckles lost. Everything was so fucked at that point and the guy was coming back if he won that game, even if he lost to TCU the following week. Once it was obvious that Texas was truly at risk of losing to that clown program, I was like "Okay, fuck it then, pull the bookshelf on top of yourself, you fucking idiot" and I still felt dirty witnessing it. 

So, to each their own, but I'm praying for a miracle and and something resembling a 9-9 conference finish. 

Had it the whole way. 

On 1/19/2024 at 12:33 PM, Pancho said:

We play in the hardest league in America. We aren’t finishing 9-9.

Oh, Pancho. Ye of little faith, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

MADISON BOOKER NAMED BIG 12 PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Texas freshman Madison Booker became the first freshman in Big 12 women's basketball history to earn the player of the year award, the league announced on Tuesday. Booker was also named the Big 12 Freshman of the Year and a unanimous selection on the All-Big 12 First Team. The awards were selected by a vote of the conference head coaches. 

• PLENTY OF LONGHORNS HONORED BY BIG 12: DeYona Gaston was selected the Sixth Player Award honoree. Aaliyah Moore was selected to the All-Big 12 Second Team and the trio of Shaylee Gonzales, Shay Holle and Taylor Jones earned All-Big 12 Honorable Mention. Holle earned placement on the Big 12 All-Defensive Team and Booker was a unanimous selection to the Big 12 All-Freshman Team. 

• MORE ON BOOKER: Booker is showing why she is one of the best players in the country. Booker has earned seven Big 12 weekly honors and three national weekly honors this season. Against ranked opponents this season Booker is averaging 21.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 5.6 assists over seven games. Only Caitlin Clark and Hannah Hidalgo have better averages against ranked opponents. Booker has 11 games scoring 20 or more points this season and has scored in double figures in 20 straight games. In Big 12 play Booker is shooting 48 percent from the field and 91.6 percent from the free-throw line. 

• 400/100 FOR VIC SCHAEFER: On Feb. 14 at Houston, Texas head coach Vic Schaefer recorded his 400th career victory as a head coach. Schaefer, the 2X national coach of the year, has 20 wins over AP top-25 teams in his time at Texas and 19 wins over AP top-10 teams in his career. With the Texas 81-60 win over Iowa State on Saturday, Coach Schaefer recorded his 100th win at Texas. Schaefer was selected to the Naismith Coach of the Year Late Season Watch List. 

https://texassports.com/news/2024/3/7/womens-basketball-no-6-womens-basketball-preview-big-12-championship.aspx#:~:text=MADISON BOOKER NAMED BIG 12,the league announced on Tuesday.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I definitely didn't think we would finish 9-9 after the UCF loss. 

Also, RT should get some credit. Moving Hunter off ball, playing Horton fewer minutes, and almost completely eliminating Onyema's minutes were key adjustments. 

Today's rotaiton is what we will see in the post-season. Onyema is probably the 9th guy that gets minutes if Disu and Shedrick get in early foul trouble.

33 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I definitely didn't think we would finish 9-9 after the UCF loss. 

Also, RT should get some credit. Moving Hunter off ball, playing Horton fewer minutes, and almost completely eliminating Onyema's minutes were key adjustments. 

Agreed, but I'd give RT more credit if he hadn't been throwing Horton so many minutes from the get-go. It was pretty obvious from the season's start that he wasn't consistently productive enough on offense to offset the defensive liability.

Anyway, gruntled that the team clawed back to 9-9 and swept the Sooners. It was a good day.

tumblr_mxr0t6Vkif1slo405o1_500.gif

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

UCF up 72-71 over TCU. A win there moves us to the 7 seed 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

76-74 UCF. 26 seconds left. Come on, get us the 7 seed 

I could never bring myself to watch UCF/TCU. 

Then again I don't really like college hoops.

3 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Even if BYU loses tonight, we cannot take the #7 spot from them because they beat us, right?

image.png.7f5eb4d556eac62d960efa698d67fe35.png

image.png.e5378f61aaca7d7a4cd912f9325d5d0a.png

For Big12 conf tournament

We can't take the 6th spot from them, we are locked in at 7. Since BYU beat both us and TCU, they would win the 3-way tiebreaker if BYU lost.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We can't take the 6th spot from them, we are locked in at 7. Since BYU beat both us and TCU, they would win the 3-way tiebreaker if BYU lost.

Correct 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Oh geez I can't count tonight. Thanks

#7 it is!

Was hoping for the evening game.