2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The Astros are so vague about injuries. I guess the Altuve news is good. Status quo on Brantley. 

Chas seems to be nailing down the everyday CF gig. He still has a pop gun arm, but Tucker and Yordan’s canons protect him a little bit. He’s growing on me. His emergence will probably keep me from looking up Gilbert’s stats 30 times a week. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Chas seems to be nailing down the everyday CF gig. He still has a pop gun arm, but Tucker and Yordan’s canons protect him a little bit. He’s growing on me. His emergence will probably keep me from looking up Gilbert’s stats 30 times a week. 

Objectively, he nailed it down way before this season. So I’m not holding my breath on him suddenly being a fixture in the lineup based on previous playing time trends. I’d love to be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah all saying 3 weeks for him after always dreaming. I mean, he will probably best Altuve back but I wouldn’t bet a ton of money on it. 

So far, they’ve gone from Opening Day to a couple of weeks later to by the end of April to now early May.

If all goes well, Altuve could be back before the end of May. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brantley is still out at this point.

Edited by formermav43
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

So far, they’ve gone from Opening Day to a couple of weeks later to by the end of April to now early May.

If all goes well, Altuve could be back before the end of May. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brantley is still out at this point.

It was a stupid signing that just continues to get worse. They had no business signing him at 36, after that surgery, when they clearly had no timetable for when he’d be back and what he’d look like when he did come back. It’s not just the money- it’s turning over a spot to him that was dogshit terrible last year and could have cost us bigtime in the playoffs instead of making what you’d know is an actual upgrade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I thought it would go Dusty, Dusty, Dusty, Dusty, Dusty, Dusty

They have 2 bullpen meltdowns and 2 crummy SP outings.  That’s all over the backdrop of Bregman starting in a slump with Altuve/Brantley out.  I think Dusty probably could’ve managed another win if he’d played Diaz more but otherwise it’s pretty standard shit aside from Bregmans slump.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It was a stupid signing that just continues to get worse. They had no business signing him at 36, after that surgery, when they clearly had no timetable for when he’d be back and what he’d look like when he did come back. It’s not just the money- it’s turning over a spot to him that was dogshit terrible last year and could have cost us bigtime in the playoffs instead of making what you’d know is an actual upgrade. 

Wait... are you saying you aren't a fan of the Brantley signing?  Your stance on this issue has been unclear, to this point.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Wait... are you saying you aren't a fan of the Brantley signing?  Your stance on this issue has been unclear, to this point.

Me- we’ll be lucky to see him by june

Bosrd/ fuck off- they said opening day 

me- we have no idea what his health will be

Board- wtf are you talking about- they have his medicals 

Me- we need a bat there- we can’t have gaping black hole 

board- Especially @Hank Chinaski calm down we are fine- we don’t need to make any upgrades at all and we sure don’t need an overarching plan led by a competent Gm. Bagwell has this bro. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Brantley is printing out all of the surly posts about him 

He gonna print them out, roll them up and hit a soft line drive over the second baseman’s head with them ?  

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So- when Dusty said this lineup is going to get some starts he didn't mean 2-4 Diaz who had some good looking AB's he meant the one with Maldy that sucks (dick- or shit through a straw- it's a choose your own adventure post- finish the sentence how you want).  

Greatness.  It's like the groundhog seeing it's shadow but instead of 6 more weeks of Winter it's 6 more weeks of strugglebus lineup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Me- we’ll be lucky to see him by june

Bosrd/ fuck off- they said opening day 

me- we have no idea what his health will be

Board- wtf are you talking about- they have his medicals 

Me- we need a bat there- we can’t have gaping black hole 

board- Especially @Hank Chinaski calm down we are fine- we don’t need to make any upgrades at all and we sure don’t need an overarching plan led by a competent Gm. Bagwell has this bro. 

He gonna print them out, roll them up and hit a soft line drive over the second baseman’s head with them ?  

I was on the record of it being a horrible sign because he was already a declining player (can't hit lefties or play the OF better than Alvarez) and he had major shoulder surgery. So, Wulaw wasn't the only person on that ledge.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I was on the record of it being a horrible sign because he was already a declining player (can't hit lefties or play the OF better than Alvarez) and he had major shoulder surgery. So, Wulaw wasn't the only person on that ledge.

Yeah.  I wanted him to be in a strict platoon with Chas for most of 2021 and 2022 and to upgrade in CF.  I now believe that selling Chas short.  

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That is absolutely spectacular. I'm bummed I've never been to a game there. 

Went a couple of times when we lived there. It is a nice stadium. Went to the last game played at three rivers stadium before they tore it down. 

10 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I don’t know how you pitch to Alvarez with the bases loaded.

I’d walk in the one run and take my chances.

The old Barry Bonds treatment. Yordan isn’t that good to my way of thinking but it would probably cross my mind for at least a second. 

• Hook 'Em 1