2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 hours ago, Scraps said:
5 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:
Hey at least you have this statue outside Globe Life Barn in memory of making it to the World Series once...

image.thumb.png.e149a196d20e84cd290bd4e7515e84a5.png

Is that for making the WS or is that commemorating their minor league hazing?

Good question.  That does kind of look like my brother Roughned and my other brother Roughned.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But he’s been back for 47 team games and has only appeared in 35 of them. Julks is getting more PT than Chas. Over the last 7 games Chas has sat twice and that’s not atypical. 

Sure but you can't just say Meyers has more ABs than Chas, end of story.

Julks is right after Maldy in getting too much pt.  We should be going Chas, Meyers, Tucker left to right the majority of the time.

• Hook 'Em 2

I missed the last two innings for work and followed on my phone, never thinking we'd win that game.

Crazy stupid game. Despite the Astros blowing it open early and leading for every inning but two, that game sucked for us watching at home. Felt like we were bleeding out, and not slowly.

I'll take the W even if the moral loss tastes a bit sour.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

This team is at about 55%. We need Yordan and urquidy back, in a very and way 

need to trade for another BP arm

probably going to 6 man rotation in august 

not sure if we get another bat, it’s going  to be a tough market 

I feel like you picked 55% meaning we're not even close to full strength...but then again, our winning percentage is .553, so maybe that's what you meant.  Either way, the Brantley news should make it easier for Brown to get Crane on board with adding offense.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Julks is right after Maldy in getting too much pt.  We should be going Chas, Meyers, Tucker left to right the majority of the time.

I still don't think Jake is an MLB centerfielder with his routes and not throwing to second when he should.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

For the month after Chas came back from his injury and up until Yordan's injury (May 8th-June 8th) Meyers had more PAs. It has been more balanced now with Yordan out, but if Yordan was healthy I'm not sure that would be the case.

We'd probably see a starting outfield of Meyers, Tucker, Yordan or Tucker, Julks, and Meyers way more than we should (while also starting Maldy over Yanier 75% of the time).

I do agree with your sentiment of Julks playing too much though... I just think it should be Chas as a starter 90% of the time with Meyers/Julks splitting time

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Podcast last night. Reviewof the last week. Dive into maldonado and Diaz numbers at catcher, talked about what’s going on with Chas, and break down the pitching we’ve received from our untouted rookies. Give it a listen, subscribe, rate and review:

spotify:

apple:

Amazon:

• Hook 'Em 2

Deals that I would like to see that would solidify the team. I would trade Myers and top prospects for the below

Stroman

Gioloto

Hader

Juan Soto

Kyle Hendricks/ Happ 

Verdugo / Paxton

Relievers that shouldn’t cost a ton

Julks and C grade prospects

Amir Garrett

Kyle Finnegan

Keynan Middleton

Jordan Weems

Chris Martin

1 hour ago, APMP said:

We need a bat and an arm. Nobody said they can't be the same roster spot. Offer the Angels everyone they want for Ohtani.

The guy might welcome it. Assuming we get healthy and stay that way through October, he'll never have a better shot at a ring. Then, he can happily sign with Houston for the rest of his career. I know it's all fantasy, but what laughs we'd all have watching the media try to reconcile a celebration of Ohtani's every blink with continuing to rip our franchise. 

The guy might welcome it. Assuming we get healthy and stay that way through October, he'll never have a better shot at a ring. Then, he can happily sign with Houston for the rest of his career. I know it's all fantasy, but what laughs we'd all have watching the media try to reconcile a celebration of Ohtani's every blink with continuing to rip our franchise. 
Even if he doesn't stay, he'd still be the GOAT rental.

1 hour ago, APMP said:

We need a bat and an arm. Nobody said they can't be the same roster spot. Offer the Angels everyone they want for Ohtani.

6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Several days ago when we were blowing out someone I asked the what if question, and didn't get any response. If we truly could pull it off, would we be willing to give up what it would take to get him for the rest of the year? I'm sure there is an offer the Angels would deem to good to pass up. I have no idea if he has a list of no-trade teams, but wouldn't be surprised. 

Several days ago when we were blowing out someone I asked the what if question, and didn't get any response. If we truly could pull it off, would we be willing to give up what it would take to get him for the rest of the year? I'm sure there is an offer the Angels would deem to good to pass up. I have no idea if he has a list of no-trade teams, but wouldn't be surprised. 
Ohtani rental likely starts with Gilbert, a couple of MLB ready starting pitchers (France and Blanco?), and a Leon or Pena?

You know, call me crazy but I'd do it.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

😂😂😂😂

99% of this thread was ready to cut him last year and the beginning of this season. 80% of this thread would still cut him today 

Yep. Many posters here are very quick to take a victory lap when right but very slow to take a walk of shame when wrong. 

If you combined Chas and Diaz into 1 player- and their PA are about right for that to make sense (close enough- they’d have the same amount of PA as Bregman) they’d have a 265 average, 294 OBP,  485 slug, 779 ops with 16 HR, 44 rbi, 38 runs, playing 2 of the most important 3 positions on the field. That’s an all star position player that’s just sat on the bench, right?  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Over the last calendar year (since 7/1/22), Chas has a better wRC+ (129) than the following CFs:

Bryan Reynolds

Cedric Mullins

Adolis Garcia

George Springer

Michael Harris

These are guys who play every day, make all-star teams, win ROY awards, play on team USA in the WBC, etc.

And Chas often sits in favor of Corey Julks, Jake Meyers and Bligh Madris.

Is anyone on here willing to defend this? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Over the last calendar year (since 7/1/22), Chas has a better wRC+ (129) than the following CFs:

Bryan Reynolds

Cedric Mullins

Adolis Garcia

George Springer

Michael Harris

These are guys who play every day, make all-star teams, win ROY awards, play on team USA in the WBC, etc.

And Chas often sits in favor of Corey Julks, Jake Meyers and Bligh Madris.

Is anyone on here willing to defend this? 

Chas may have made one of the great defensive plays in recent WS history, but he lacks that special something that winners like Bligh exude.  Something not quantifiable (because there are so many 0s), but you feel it if you're a baseball man.

At some point, it's Brown's fault, which I assume he understands as we get healthier.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and get negged by everyone, but can totally see us shitting the bed today. Home after a long road trip with no day off, coming off a huge series win and even bigger win yesterday, and facing the worst team in the NL. Perfect setup for complete lack of focus. Or, we could ride the high and blow them out. What do I know? Feel free to send me whatever you're paying for any other expert analysis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and get negged by everyone, but can totally see us shitting the bed today. Home after a long road trip with no day off, coming off a huge series win and even bigger win yesterday, and facing the worst team in the NL. Perfect setup for complete lack of focus. Or, we could ride the high and blow them out. What do I know? Feel free to send me whatever you're paying for any other expert analysis. 

dont you say that adam sandler GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

we have an annoying habit of playing down to lesser competition 

35 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Time to get another bat.

I don’t actually think this is a need, assuming Yordan returns after the ASB. If Dusty plays the best players, you have:

2B Altuve

3B Bregman

RF Tucker

LF/DH Yordan

1B Abreu

CF Chas

C/DH Diaz

SS Pena

C/LF Maldy/Meyers/Julks

If Dusty commits to making Chas the everyday CF and Abreu continues what he’s been doing over the last month (121 wRC+ in June), and Diaz is in the lineup as the catcher or DH most days…then this is actually a good lineup. 1-7 should all be above average hitters (with 1-4 being well above-average), and Pena is right at league average.

If they want to go get a LF/DH type like Brantley would have been, ok…but it’s not really necessary if he’d just play Chas and Diaz.

More pressing may be another starter, given whatever is going on with Javier.

Edited by Hank Chinaski