2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

even if we get the 6 seed, does anyone in the al scare you?  go look at the projected bracket. bunch of nancies in this thread. 

I posted it a while back but you want the 6 seed if you aren’t catching the rangers.

6 gets you the trash ass AL Central champ  who will be the actual worst team in the playoffs( which you want in a 3 game series where anything can happen )

then the rangers in a 5 game series (unless they run down the East champ for best record)…rather have them in a 5 games vs 7 with our current pitching staff who would have a helluva time surviving 7 games against their offense

then whoever survives the AL East 

but that said, all of this is nonsense talk until after the trade deadline when multiple teams will look markedly different come august 1

The Astros 2017 draft class was stacked with pitching prospects

1st round - JB Bukauskas
2nd round - Corbin Martin
3rd round - Tyler Ivey
4th round - Peter Solomon
7th round - Parker Mushinski

But the most productive big leaguer has been 11th rounder Brandon Bielak.

• Hook 'Em 1

another solid outing from eduardo rodriguez tonight.  he has an opt-out, so it would essentially be a rental so he can't be that pricey.

the rest of his deal is 3-$49mm, which i think he can beat (he's only 30).  would take on that deal or let him opt-out if the trade is geared that way.  seems like nobody is talking about him, but he would slot in as a nice sp3 right away.

he just seems like he would fit in here.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

another solid outing from eduardo rodriguez tonight.  he has an opt-out, so it would essentially be a rental so he can't be that pricey.

the rest of his deal is 3-$49mm, which i think he can beat (he's only 30).  would take on that deal or let him opt-out if the trade is geared that way.  seems like nobody is talking about him, but he would slot in as a nice sp3 right away.

he just seems like he would fit in here.

People talked about him a lot earlier in the year, then he got hurt, but now he's back.  Expect he'll be traded.

45 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_5890.jpeg

Yeah, I'd rather we find a way to bring Verlander back than trade for Luis Robert based on my expectation of cost.  Jay Jaffe was calling out Crane for being chicken shit about the luxury tax in a chat the other day and I think that's a good point.  You're the defending champion and have a chance to go back to back--why are you sweating a few million in tax liability if it extends the window?

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yeah, I'd rather we find a way to bring Verlander back than trade for Luis Robert based on my expectation of cost.  Jay Jaffe was calling out Crane for being chicken shit about the luxury tax in a chat the other day and I think that's a good point.  You're the defending champion and have a chance to go back to back--why are you sweating a few million in tax liability if it extends the window?

This is what I’ve been saying for a couple years about crane talking a big game but being maddeningly cheap.

he made a great hire in Luhnow. He’s got the right instincts at the trade deadline, he’s pocketing cash that should be spent all the way up to the tax threshold, at a minimum, when the team is in its competitive window. 
go offer the Angels a bag of shag balls for Ohtani and Rendon. If they were smart they would take it. We wouldn’t do that because god forbid we paid 10M in luxury tax one year in the middle of our competitive window. Go get JV and don’t ask the Mets to kick in money- prospect cost would be nil. We’d still be under the tax line this year and would have 1 year- 2024, above the tax line. But we’d have the betting line favorite to win the next two World Series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Do you think the bulls ever told Jordan he couldn’t play a game ?

They did, his first or second year when he had an injury.

He then told them that if they wouldn't let him play he would go down to UNC and play pickup games with the Tarheels.