2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

43 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Atlanta.  I thought about going with the Dodgers, but fuck them.

This. Atlanta is the correct answer. As far as the spin the FO gives the media and fans, its frustrating but does not mean its a bad FO. We can have a well run organization, which we do, and be shitty in media relations. And it all stems from Crane, who I think is an awesome owner. Even Dusty's inability to provide an accurate explanation on Diaz and Chas ABs starts with the culture Crane created. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, texashorne said:

This. Atlanta is the correct answer. As far as the spin the FO gives the media and fans, its frustrating but does not mean its a bad FO. We can have a well run organization, which we do, and be shitty in media relations. And it all stems from Crane, who I think is an awesome owner. Even Dusty's inability to provide an accurate explanation on Diaz and Chas ABs starts with the culture Crane created. 

exactly

I like Crane the owner, I dislike Crane the person, because he's not a good person. He fostered the cheating and threw Luhnow and Hinch under the bus when it bit him in the ass. He should have said he takes personal responsibility for the culture fostered where cheating was accepted. Since the cheating scandal, he and Dusty are Jerry Jones and Switzer. It scares me that he can't see that he needs to go back writing checks and telling the GM it's ok to trade Josh Rojas for Greinke. He should have nothing to do with FA moving forward. Dusty and the coaching staff for the most part need to be let go, because this could go stale quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

There isn't a single GM in all of sports that ever tells the full truth or even half of it.  This weird expectation that they do, or will, bottles my mind.  

And Dana isn't really lying about any of that.  He's telling you what the present answer is or what he needs someone else to believe to get what the team needs. Example: saying we're likely out of the Starting Pitcher market before getting Verlander.  He said that to drive the Mets to pay more of the contract.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Shit changes, especially with injuries and trade deadlines.  Luhnow never told the truth about injuries either, and Click was even worse.  There is zero advantage to the FO telling anyone their business.  He's telling the other GMs what he wants them to hear.  

I really don't get why anyone cares what the GM has to say.  It's his job to do, not say.  So far I think he did just fine with Graveman and Verlander in his first real chance to do.  And he said we were looking for RPs and SPs from the beginning, we got both.  Saying we might want a bat too is smart business so people know to come ask.  

Brantley probably has been close to coming back multiple times.  He's doing what he can with a bad hand dealt to him.  He doesn't control Dusty, but will the next guy once Dusty retires after the season.  I mean what's he supposed to do?  Throw Dusty under the bus?  How idiotic would that be to do that to a legend in your first year as a GM?

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

Not to mention that they weren't really that bad with the media before getting caught sign stealing.  And given the bullshit that was made up, and the scapegoat they made, and are still making, the Astros into I don't blame them.  

4 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Not to mention that they weren't really that bad with the media before getting caught sign stealing.  And given the bullshit that was made up, and the scapegoat they made, and are still making, the Astros into I don't blame them.  

Counterpoint - the Taubman fiasco.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

There isn't a single GM in all of sports that ever tells the full truth or even half of it.  This weird expectation that they do, or will, bottles my mind.  

And Dana isn't really lying about any of that.  He's telling you what the present answer is or what he needs someone else to believe to get what the team needs. Example: saying we're likely out of the Starting Pitcher market before getting Verlander.  He said that to drive the Mets to pay more of the contract.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Shit changes, especially with injuries and trade deadlines.  Luhnow never told the truth about injuries either, and Click was even worse.  There is zero advantage to the FO telling anyone their business.  He's telling the other GMs what he wants them to hear.  

I really don't get why anyone cares what the GM has to say.  It's his job to do, not say.  So far I think he did just fine with Graveman and Verlander in his first real chance to do.  And he said we were looking for RPs and SPs from the beginning, we got both.  Saying we might want a bat too is smart business so people know to come ask.  

Brantley probably has been close to coming back multiple times.  He's doing what he can with a bad hand dealt to him.  He doesn't control Dusty, but will the next guy once Dusty retires after the season.  I mean what's he supposed to do?  Throw Dusty under the bus?  How idiotic would that be to do that to a legend in your first year as a GM?

Nobody is arguing for them telling the truth all the time or full transparency.  It the astros take it to another level and it’s not necessary or helpful to fans. 
I’m not living or dying over it just responding to scraps on a message board. It’s clearly a choice and I think an odd one. 

5 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

One guy being an asshole doesn't make them bad with the media on the whole.  Before that the Astros were an absolute media darling

It wasn't just the one guy being an asshole.  The FO initially came out in defense of him and created a false narrative to counter the reporters' stories.  They fumbled that football big time.  I still believe that the sign stealing story would not have played out like it did without having the media turned completely against the Astros after the Taubman flub.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Maldonado catching again today, and Diaz sitting. JFC 

I mean, it is known. Maldy will catch JV, Framber and Javier every time out. Maybe urwuidy every time out or maybe only when the other pitcher is left handed. 
diaz get to play 2X a week. It’s absurd but hey, offense and defense and run prevention don’t matter. It’s intangibles. 

As long as we are discussing Brown I’ll go ahead and say that I give him a D- for his first year so far. He did nothing to improve the offense even when there were cheap veteran left handed bats available like Moustakos. Yes he doesn’t have a big pot to deal from but there were definitely players better than Bligh and Julks available for little. At least throw some shit against the wall. All they have done is pick off the waiver scrap heap. The trade for Graveman is meh and the Verlander thing was all Crane. Dana had little or nothing to do with that deal. I honestly don’t think Dana would have traded Gilbert and Clifford on his own because he values young players. So at best it’s a very shitty incomplete and we will wait to see what he does at the winter meetings and the off-season. There are contracts to do and holes to fill. It may not even be up to him. I fear he was hired as a mouthpiece for the same regime that signed Abreu and Montero. Nothing has changed the perception to me that Crane is Jerry Jones.

• Hook 'Em 1

not to distract from...whatever this is, but it was pointed out to me last night that alex bregman has 14 doubles this season.  in 501 pa.

that's almost impressive from a pure statistics perspective.  it also sucks shit through a straw from every other perspective.

dubon has 18 in 150 fewer pa.  even abreu has 16.  julks has 13 in 175 fewer pa.

embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Huge day for Presley :

Astros closer Ryan Pressly reaches 10 years of major-league service time today. It's one of the most celebrated milestones in a big league clubhouse. The Astros now have five players who've reached 10 years of service: Pressly, Altuve, Verlander, Maldonado and Brantley

Got pimped out

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'ASTROS H T H'

May be an image of fishing rod, boots and text

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, uoftorange said:

One guy being an asshole doesn't make them bad with the media on the whole.  Before that the Astros were an absolute media darling

It set the stage, and Taubman was defended while the accusations were flying in from multiple women. He should have been fired on the spot. Alysson Footer is not someone the Astros should try to alienate considering she earned her chops on the Astros beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

I for one celebrate the Astros treatment of the media. I actually think its not harsh enough. They all are on the money train making them out to be the villians, and they all get to eat shit sandwich after shit sandwich... the latest coming when Tucker squeezed that foul bowl of Castellanos's bat last November. 

Seriously its the same media keeping Sosa, Bonds, Clemens out of the HOF when they capitalized on the enhancements themselves. Then they capitalized again when it was time to tear them all down. Then they sweep the Yankees and Red Sox Apple watch scam under the rug and crucify the Astros whn we have the trash can thing. 

Its the same media thats going to keep Altuve from being a 1st ballot HOF because of his alleged "role."

Fuck them. Fuck them all. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I for one celebrate the Astros treatment of the media. I actually think its not harsh enough. They all are on the money train making them out to be the villians, and they all get to eat shit sandwich after shit sandwich... the latest coming when Tucker squeezed that foul bowl of Castellanos's bat last November. 

Seriously its the same media keeping Sosa, Bonds, Clemens out of the HOF when they capitalized on the enhancements themselves. Then they capitalized again when it was time to tear them all down. Then they sweep the Yankees and Red Sox Apple watch scam under the rug and crucify the Astros whn we have the trash can thing. 

Its the same media thats going to keep Altuve from being a 1st ballot HOF because of his alleged "role."

Every bit of this

7 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I'm down with this take, because being compliant and polite gets you jack shit, unless it's the local folks.  Correa had the proper attitude.

Fuck em.   Let em hate.

33 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Cool. That’s not Sean Salisbury or Robert ford lobbing you softballs on team controlled platforms for the benefit of the fans. I’d be absolutely fine with this line of thought to national press and chandler the choad. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Maldy will be catching the majority of games so I don’t understand why people still get upset. Diaz should be the dh though. 

We're upset at the maldy catching the majority of the games part

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3