2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm surprised they are letting him pitch the 7th, he was at 88 pitches going into the inning, seems a bit dicey to let him continue. Probably will relieve him this inning. 

Just talking about this with a buddy- Hunter Brown seems like he's done a pretty shitty job of finishing games, almost like the anti-JV (JV can smell the barn and gets you there with another gear).  I don't know if the stats hold true but I think this is the case- I remember a couple starts against the A's, the Rockies, now this one.  He seems like an 80 or 90 pitch 6 inning guy to me.  Maybe I've pulled that out of my ass, but I think he ought to be treated as such in the playoffs.  

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yainer just took one to the wall.  i don't care if he ever catches again (obviously i do) but he needs to be our everyday dh.  we need his bat in this lineup 8 days a week.  a blind man could tell you that.

But Dusty said he has the same stats as Maldy

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just talking about this with a buddy- Hunter Brown seems like he's done a pretty shitty job of finishing games, almost like the anti-JV (JV can smell the barn and gets you there with another gear).  I don't know if the stats hold true but I think this is the case- I remember a couple starts against the A's, the Rockies, now this one.  He seems like an 80 or 90 pitch 6 inning guy to me.  Maybe I've pulled that out of my ass, but I think he ought to be treated as such in the playoffs.  

Judging by the stats of his last 8 or so games, he's good for about 88-95 pitches or so, then you have to replace him. That's pretty standard for most starters, their arms get tired and lose a bit of control around 90-100.  Inning count shouldn't matter, just gotta know when to pull them. It's a guy feeling thing, but maybe Maldy should make the call since he knows everything about pitchers.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

i want him to be justin verlander when he grows up, but if he's a 90 pitch / 6 inning guy right now (allowing ~2er and getting 5-7k) then i'm fucking stoked.  he's our sp4 at best, assuming javier ever pulls it together.  most teams would kill for that profile.

in the playoffs, i'd like him to be a flamethrower who can get 3-6 big outs in the middle/middle-late innings.  i've only been begging for such a piece for half a decade now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i want him to be justin verlander when he grows up, but if he's a 90 pitch / 6 inning guy right now (allowing ~2er and getting 5-7k) then i'm fucking stoked.  he's our sp4 at best, assuming javier ever pulls it together.  most teams would kill for that profile.

in the playoffs, i'd like him to be a flamethrower who can get 3-6 big outs in the middle/middle-late innings.  i've only been begging for such a piece for half a decade now.

Oh absolutely no doubt. 

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

So it goes, I guess. One way better hitter than him crashed and burned in the 9th as well.

No, Jake, not you. 

no Chas , not you

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

So it goes, I guess. One way better hitter than him crashed and burned in the 9th as well.

No, Jake, not you. 

no Chas , not you

Same old bitches back in the thread after a close loss.   Astros are 7 of last 10 and just took 2 of 3 from the team with the best record in the AL.  Singleton did the same thing in his 9th inning AB as Yordan did and reached base the same number of times as Yordan today.  It's baseball.

Get some perspective, dumbasses. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Same old bitches back in the thread after a close loss.   Astros are 7 of last 10 and just took 2 of 3 from the team with the best record in the AL.  Singleton did the same thing in his 9th inning AB as Yordan did and reached base the same number of times as Yordan today.  It's baseball.

Get some perspective, dumbasses. 

Yordan also has a history of dropping his  nuts in big games and singleton has a history of not making it so yea not the same thing. But I see your point.

this game wasn't about the 9th.  it was about the 7th and mountcastle hitting that homer.  coming back from 3 down again late was going to be a problem against arguably the best bullpen in the league.

(i know the nyy have the best bullpen era but not sure there's a better tandem of cano and felix back there)

• Hook 'Em 3