2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Versus LHP in 2023:

Maldonado: 66 PA, 4 HR, .254 BA, .849 OPS

Díaz:  69 PA, 1 HR, .185 BA, .494 OPS

No go quote the expected stats.  Once upon a time DIaz stats in all of his PA looked like they do against lefties and his expected stats look like what his slash line looks like now. IT's small sample size bullshit. There is almost no such thing as reverse splits.  It's not real as a thing going forward.  
you might as well be quoting games played on a Monday night or when Jupiter is in the 7th house and Mercury is in retrograde.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

When he catches on Tuesday and Wednesday as well, Diaz (who might get a chance to catch friday) will have caught 2 games in the last 14 or 15 days.  

It all makes perfect sense.  

Maybe the Dustinator is slyly using Maldy as an "innings eater" during the dog days, so Diaz will be fresh for his extended stretch of starts in September and October. No, I'm not being serious. 

• Haha 1

any day now .....

Dusty Baker says Michael Brantley isn’t on this trip, but noted Brantley’s dad is currently with Michael in Houston.

“That’s a pretty good sign when dad comes to town, especially when your dad is former pro Mickey Brantley. Means you’re probably close.”

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Dusty Baker says Michael Brantley isn’t on this trip, but noted Brantley’s dad is currently with Michael in Houston.

“That’s a pretty good sign when dad comes to town, especially when your dad is former pro Mickey Brantley. Means you’re probably close.”

youtube name GIF

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

any day now .....

Kim Kardashian No GIF by E!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

10/300 makes sense on both sides imo. Not sure he’d do 9/244 or whatever was mentioned. Seriously doubt he’d be open to 6/175 like Altuve took. That seems to put him pretty in between. Might he do 4/125?  Maybe. That’s buying out 2 years at 45M apiece and young enough to still get another 9 figure contract if he doesn’t fall off a cliff. 

I'll believe someone will take a shorter deal at higher AAV when someone does it.  As long as you're getting enough to be set for life, I don't know why guys won't bet on their production/health to try to maximize but no one ever does.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

any day now .....

Interesting 

I thought when they called the family in to town it meant death was imminent….e.g. younger Brantley’s career

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'll believe someone will take a shorter deal at higher AAV when someone does it.  As long as you're getting enough to be set for life, I don't know why guys won't bet on their production/health to try to maximize but no one ever does.

Yeah I said might and I doubt it- but agreed it’s unlikely. 
trevor Bauer did it. Worked out well for him. 

• Haha 1

Just now, elfenix said:

Martin Maldonado is the worst batter in the history of baseball

Probably not quite, but this season is probably top 20 most awful seasons with a guy with 400+ PA’s. It’s truly astounding. Awe inspiring job by Dusty. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It actually seems worse than having a pitcher there.

It is. Occasionally they PH for a pitcher before the 9th inning. 

• Rage+1 2

Probably not quite, but this season is probably top 20 most awful seasons with a guy with 400+ PA’s. It’s truly astounding. Awe inspiring job by Dusty. 
The stat they've been mentioning on the radio is that he is the worst hitter in terms of average with 1,000 games played and 3,000 plate appearances. I have not dug into baseball reference to see if that's actually correct.

So yes, that does eliminate a lot of people who are actually are terrible at batting, because most people who are this bad at offense don't last five years in the league.
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of you guys who are into advanced metrics tell me how Meyers does in "no excuse for not getting a run in right here" situations. Because I have a feeling he needs that excuse...often. I don't see him as being much (if any) better in the clutch than Maldy is. If the opposing pitcher really needs a K, he'll usually get one with Meyers up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Singleton may be a one time back-to-back HR wonder.  I'd rather go with Dubon permanently replacing Abreu until a better prospect shows up.  Where the hell is Diaz?

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

The stat they've been mentioning on the radio is that he is the worst hitter in terms of average with 1,000 games played and 3,000 plate appearances. I have not dug into baseball reference to see if that's actually correct.

So yes, that does eliminate a lot of people who are actually are terrible at batting, because most people who are this bad at offense don't last five years in the league.

it's been discussed in this thread about a week ago. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It is. Occasionally they PH for a pitcher before the 9th inning. 

And pitchers bunt every time there's someone on base

• Drool 1

Julia's on vacation.  And although it should easily be Abreu I'm not sure it will be.
To be fair i caught very end so went to twitter or X or whatever to double check it. I thought i saw on TV Tucker 100 homers.....meaning he would need 5 lol. Thats why I thought it was idiotic.

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Yeah- beyond that he does walk some and does have a little pop. BA isn’t the greatest measure to call someone the worst hitter ever. But he’s up there man, he’s up there. 

13 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

One of you guys who are into advanced metrics tell me how Meyers does in "no excuse for not getting a run in right here" situations. Because I have a feeling he needs that excuse...often. I don't see him as being much (if any) better in the clutch than Maldy is. If the opposing pitcher really needs a K, he'll usually get one with Meyers up. 

This is all for fun, clutchness isn't a thing, sss, etc but of course Maldy has been way worse.  Meyers has actually been really good.

Career with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs

Meyers - 40 PA, .429/.425/.829, 34 RBIs, 3 SFs, 6 Ks, 1 GIDP

Maldonado - 159 PA, .210/.285/.274, 69 RBIs, 10 SFs, 32 Ks, 16 GIDP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=meyerja02&year=Career&t=b

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=maldoma01&year=Career&t=b

Cool, cool, gave away a free run

1 minute ago, WBT said:

This is all for fun, clutchness isn't a thing, sss, etc but of course Maldy has been way worse.  Meyers has actually been really good.

Career with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs

Meyers - 40 PA, .429/.425/.829, 34 RBIs, 3 SFs, 6 Ks, 1 GIDP

Maldonado - 159 PA, .210/.285/.274, 69 RBIs, 10 SFs, 32 Ks, 16 GIDP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=meyerja02&year=Career&t=b

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=maldoma01&year=Career&t=b

Cool, cool, gave away a free run

Thanks. I suppose I just have assumed constant offensive failure by Maldy for so long that it no longer even imprints on me when he falls short. But other guys I expect more from and thus tend to recall their failures. Makes no sense, I guess.