2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 minutes ago, texashorne said:

You guys discussing most hated players are leaving off Tyler White. Maybe your brains forced his memory out of your conscious as some sort of self defense mechanism. 

Tyler white is good for me. He was a fat piece of shit slob that made it to the bigs and even won a POTW award, but it was obvious he was not going to make it b/c look at that dude waddle while he walked.  As a fat dude at the time it brought me endless joy.  I never did understand how a guy could eat himself out of professional sports, but I guess he was even more of an addict than I was.  Good for him for making the show. No hate at all. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Tyler white is good for me. He was a fat piece of shit slob that made it to the bigs and even won a POTW award, but it was obvious he was not going to make it b/c look at that dude waddle while he walked.  As a fat dude at the time it brought me endless joy.  I never did understand how a guy could eat himself out of professional sports, but I guess he was even more of an addict than I was.  Good for him for making the show. No hate at all. 

+1  I have a similar affinity for Bartolo Colon.  Was never a fan until he turned to a tub of goo and then became the oldest active player in MLB (who happens to be the same age as me).  He became a symbol of hope and perseverance to an aging fat guy.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

+1  I have a similar affinity for Bartolo Colon.  Was never a fan until he turned to a tub of goo and then became the oldest active player in MLB (who happens to be the same age as me).  He became a symbol of hope and perseverance to an aging fat guy.

PItchers almost don't count.  But when he hit that HR man, it was on!

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

PItchers almost don't count.  But when he hit that HR man, it was on!

Honestly... baseball players almost don't count.  Fat guys and baseball are a natural mix.  One of the most revered players ever is a fat guy.  Kruk, Astudillo, Vogelbach, Kirk.  Hell, Miguel Sano got sent to fat camp mid-season.      

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, texashorne said:

My 9 year old son is obsessed with the Astros. He watches the games, plays with them on MLB the Show, youtube highlights every morning, ect... 

When he acts up, wife punsihes him by taking away all Astros media for a week. I'm working with her to try to find a consequences that don't punish me as well.

Like he can't even watch the games?  Fuck that

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

after the 1986 heartbreak, gave up on baseball until 2005 , then gave up again until 2017.  Glad I have no idea about the guys mentioned in the above posts.  I'm into MLB now, fuck the NFL and especially the bitches of the NBA. 

You seem like a bitch

• Like 3

No, Angel Sanchez. He was the Grae Kessinger of the Ed Wade years.
Ah yes the first search on baseball reference didn't even come up with him but the other loser angel sanchez who played for pitt. After seeing his picture on there i remember him

My apologies @Hornsbay22

I thought you really hated a dude for 4 games lmao

7 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

singleton only has 4 hits in 8 games as an astro, but he also only has 4 Ks compared to 7 BB. 11 times on base in 32 PA for a .344 OBP.

He's done better than anyone should have expected.

Spoiler

It won't last.

If we're going to keep playing Maldonado, we could at least be playing Yainer at 1B

• Hook 'Em 1

For me, Gomez is very worthy. 

Going back in history, in addition to most relievers generally I hated any Astro whose main claim to fame was stolen bases.  This is probably less an indictment on them than on the Astros management or beat writers talking up the value of an Eric Yelding, Gerald Young, Brian Hunter, Roger Cedeno, and Willy Taveras as if the steals count somehow made the 30% on base average acceptable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For me, it's guys that negatively impacted the culture of our clubhouse.  Topping the list would be: Odorizzi, Gomez, Osuna and Giles.  A nod also goes to Biagini...although his tenure was relatively brief, he was a complete tool that tried to hard to be funny and came off as a douchebag.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Going back in history, in addition to most relievers generally I hated any Astro whose main claim to fame was stolen bases.  This is probably less an indictment on them than on the Astros management or beat writers talking up the value of an Eric Yelding, Gerald Young, Brian Hunter, Roger Cedeno, and Willy Taveras as if the steals count somehow made the 30% on base average acceptable. 
I feel that way about "defensive" players who can't fucking hit for shit

1 hour ago, Bregs said:

For me, it's guys that negatively impacted the culture of our clubhouse.  Topping the list would be: Odorizzi, Gomez, Osuna and Giles.

This is the right answer, though my least favorite player to ever wear the Astros uniform is easily Mike "Rat Fuck" Fiers.  The greatest moment in Astros history was winning the WS in 2017 for the first time.  For that to be tainted for a long-suffering fan by a bitch-made pussy who ducked us after.  Fuck that guy forever.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I feel that way about "defensive" players who can't fucking hit for shit

Come on man.

adam Everett wasn’t that bad 

36 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

This is the right answer, though my least favorite player to ever wear the Astros uniform is easily Mike "Rat Fuck" Fiers.  The greatest moment in Astros history was winning the WS in 2017 for the first time.  For that to be tainted for a long-suffering fan by a bitch-made pussy who ducked us after.  Fuck that guy forever.

But this is all hindsight/what he did after.

I’m talking about who you hated while wearing the uniform 

I will give you on Fiers he was a bitch for the way he acted getting left off the postseason roster. That moves him up on the list but not to the most loathed Astros ever while wearing the uniform 

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

But this is all hindsight/what he did after.

I’m talking about who you hated while wearing the uniform 

I will give you on Fiers he was a bitch for the way he acted getting left off the postseason roster. That moves him up on the list but not to the most loathed Astros ever while wearing the uniform 

At risk of being negged (in which case I'll blame the fact I've been drinking since 5 pm), I don't think our first championship happens without Fiers pitching major innnings in the second half of the season in 2017. 

I'm not forgiving the other shit but on balance I think it's a net neutral and as a Houston fan I'll accept the boos because the championship stands (and was reinforced last year). 

I'll add another name to the hated list--I hated Carlos Lee and it's not even for his performance.  It was the fact that he was signed off a career year and when it was obvious the team needed starters.  It exemplified all of the worst meddling from McLane and coincided with the then burgeoning understanding of the success cycle and a failure to recognize that the team wasn't an outfielder away from competing for a championship. 

Dammit, this is going to turn into a McLane bashing session (which would be well-earned) but I also hated Greg Swindell even though he's a Horn.  Great in Ohio and then shit in Houston.  At least Drabek gave us a couple of good years and had an awesome mustache.  But really, fuck McLane for all of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Also, as long as I'm in a confessional mood I met Drayton McLane's personal secretary at a business function in (I think) 2019 and I unfortunately unburdened myself of all my stored up distemper upon her.  I'm sure she was like "why is this stranger yelling at me about Tim Bogar?" but I know that deep in her heart she understood. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Also, as long as I'm in a confessional mood I met Drayton McLane's personal secretary at a business function in (I think) 2019 and I unfortunately unburdened myself of all my stored up distemper upon her.  I'm sure she was like "why is this stranger yelling at me about Tim Bogar?" but I know that deep in her heart she understood. 

giphy.gif&ehk=%2BG3NWUmL6OOJxXice%2B3aiF

BlastFromThePast-Cover.png

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

At risk of being negged (in which case I'll blame the fact I've been drinking since 5 pm), I don't think our first championship happens without Fiers pitching major innnings in the second half of the season in 2017. 

I'm not forgiving the other shit but on balance I think it's a net neutral and as a Houston fan I'll accept the boos because the championship stands (and was reinforced last year). 

I'll add another name to the hated list--I hated Carlos Lee and it's not even for his performance.  It was the fact that he was signed off a career year and when it was obvious the team needed starters.  It exemplified all of the worst meddling from McLane and coincided with the then burgeoning understanding of the success cycle and a failure to recognize that the team wasn't an outfielder away from competing for a championship. 

Dammit, this is going to turn into a McLane bashing session (which would be well-earned) but I also hated Greg Swindell even though he's a Horn.  Great in Ohio and then shit in Houston.  At least Drabek gave us a couple of good years and had an awesome mustache.  But really, fuck McLane for all of it. 

I almost tossed Swindell’s name out there as well.  I didn’t because I didn’t hate him so much as being completely and utterly disappointed.  I remember how stoked I was that a Longhorn legend was going to help push the Astros to the next level.  I have an autographed photo of him packed away in a box.   Still can’t bear to display it.