2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What a shitty baseball team we are right now. 

It's really just a clearer, sadder picture of what we've been for much of the year. Which is why in June I said I feared a July "rally" that might convince the FO that we were WS material. The Rangers' return to earth further baited the trap. We're roadkill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Name the 2023 manager, make the argument for your pick  ….

I mean that ship has already sailed, no?

As for 2024 - let’s just get back to having an aligned and analytically-savvy front office/manager combo. I don’t want to hear another goddamned thing about “intangibles” and “there’s no way to measure it.” Bullshit. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Missed the game, and happy I did. At least the rangers are losing big. Mariners are up early. There's a reason why very few teams repeat, and we are seeing it play out. There's still time to, but they need to go on a run. 

this roster has been crap since day 1, it’s a miracle we’re in the playoff chase 

• Like 2

I don’t get not letting Framber keep going.

How many pitchers have thrown 2 no hitters in the span of a month? I can think of Johnny Van Dermeer.

114 pitches? Big deal. It’s not like his arm is going to fall off. The Rat Mike Fiers threw 132 in his no hitter for the Astros.

And, of course, Nolan Ryan went over 175 in one of his. In the ‘70s. Only pitched very effectively for 20 more years  

Could have maybe helped an overworked bullpen and made history. If Framber was too worn out afterwards, give him an extra day.

Fight me

Edited by Victor Lazlo

How many pitchers have thrown 2 no hitters in the span of a month? I can think of Johnny Van Dermeer.
114 pitches? Big deal. It’s not like his arm is going to fall off. The Rat Mike Fiers threw 132 in his no hitter for the Astros.
And, of course, Nolan Ryan went over 175 in one of his. In the ‘70s. Only pitched very effectively for 20 more years  
Could have maybe helped an overworked bullpen and made history. If Framber was too worn out afterwards, give him an extra day.
Fight me
Baseball players are pussies these days.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

All right.  Had a sleep on it and I’m over it.  Only a game back with over a month left in the season. LFG.   

let the dogs out this morning.  "hey, the sun still came up..."

Not sure how many more resets are left, but our heroes need to get their shit wired straight.

LFG!!!

7 hours ago, cabowabo said:
7 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:
Fight me

Baseball players are pussies these days.

It's not up to them.

No give up on my side.  Happy playing the cello while going down with the ship.
Yep same. Too many quitters here.

Shits not going great at the moment, but we are still right there.

Will we win the WS? Most likely not(ATL seems destined), but just get in and weirder shit has happened

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yep same. Too many quitters here.

Shits not going great at the moment, but we are still right there.

Will we win the WS? Most likely not(ATL seems destined), but just get in and weirder shit has happened

You mean like 2019?

And yeah, a month plus is a loooong time in baseball.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

In late April this team looked like it was destined for 90-ish wins and a dogfight for the last WC spot. Nothing has really changed. 

I mean macro sure.

But the inputs are different. Since then we’ve gotten Yordan and Altuve healthy, Chas has taken a superstar turn, we’ve discovered a revelation at catcher and we got JV back. In April we were missing like 5 pieces.  Now, I would argue, we have all the pieces necessary, we are just intentionally holding ourselves back by being stupid- and the starting pitching has shit the bed. 
If we have 3 credible starters going into the post season that’s enough. You know, if we make it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean macro sure.

But the inputs are different. Since then we’ve gotten Yordan and Altuve healthy, Chas has taken a superstar turn, we’ve discovered a revelation at catcher and we got JV back. In April we were missing like 5 pieces.  Now, I would argue, we have all the pieces necessary, we are just intentionally holding ourselves back by being stupid- and the starting pitching has shit the bed. 
If we have 3 credible starters going into the post season that’s enough. You know, if we make it. 

Disagree. The 90-ish win forecast back then accounted for Altuve and Yordan coming back (without them it doesn’t resemble a 90-win team at all), and I always thought Chas was good. Diaz is better than we thought, sure, but the 90 win forecast also accounted for bad managing, which is why we haven’t taken advantage of Diaz being good. 

We’ve added JV, which sort of offsets the fact that Javier isn’t good anymore (which we didn’t know in April). We’ve added Graveman, which means we have an extra mediocre middle reliever, which is fine but doesn’t meaningfully change much.

• Haha 1