2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

46 minutes ago, The Dog said:

seriously, all of this ^.

my father in law and i almost got into a fist fight with some random drunks at fucking epcot center last year right after the world series.  they were trying to call us out as fans for "supporting the astros after the scandal".  i yelled back "what kind of shitty fans abandon their team after 35 years?"  epcot center.  never again.

no dogpiles until omaha.  no stupid dugout props after homers.  no popping bottles until the division is won.  let's go.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 6

14 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I can't argue with your premise. It's always a long road to a title. But on the surface, it's pretty hard to spin finishing the regular season 16 games worse than a year ago as a banner season. We're pretty fortunate to have overcome all the injuries and other obstacles and be in the position we're in. Of course, what lies ahead will ultimately define how we see 2023. 

16 games worse AL West Champions again has a ring to it. 

14 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'll agree that championships aren't won in April, but you can sure as hell lose one in April.

Go back and look at the last four seasons of Surly April bitching and moaning about Astros in April... Then go look at 2023 Rangers in April. 

And tell me where you'd rather be. 

they're not favored, but the rangers should win that series.  tampa has a great bullpen but a shit-ton of injuries + wander franco situation.  they were 30 games up in early june and have basically been .500 since holding it together with duct tape.  maybe arozarena will go crazy again but his season was kinda shitty.  pretty weak field in the a.l. bracket outside of balt, and i'm still not sure how they'll hold up.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they're not favored, but the rangers should win that series.  tampa has a great bullpen but a shit-ton of injuries + wander franco situation.  they were 30 games up in early june and have basically been .500 since holding it together with duct tape.  maybe arozarena will go crazy again but his season was kinda shitty.  pretty weak field in the a.l. bracket outside of balt, and i'm still not sure how they'll hold up.

what do you think of Glasnow tomorrow? 6.5 K more or less? 16.5 pitching outs more or less? Asking for a friend.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

what do you think of Glasnow tomorrow? 6.5 K more or less? 16.5 pitching outs more or less? Asking for a friend.

it's tricky.  they've had him on a short leash lately - throwing 4-5 innings, knowing how important he'll be in the playoffs for them.  can you imagine a rotation with mclanahan, springs, rasmussen, and glasnow?  fuck all that.  civale was a smart trade.  i think glasnow will go 5 strong, 0-2 er allowed.  right around 7-8k, he'll be fired up, but don't know about the 16.5 outs.  any hint of trouble and they'll yank him in a short series.  honestly if he went 4.2ip, 7k, 0er, that wouldn't surprise me.  they have the arms.

the guy who's been killing it has been montgomery.  like most lefties he's streaky, and he's on one right now.  and like i said, the rays are very hit or miss because of all the replacement guys on offense.  i think this could be 1-1 or 1-0 after 5, which is why i like 1st 5 under/4 (-120).  i exclusively take 1st 5 bets.  ranger 1st 5 runline could be interesting +0.5 runs.

semien has great numbers against him, but not many other rangers do.  he'll have the adrenaline pumping which could mean loss of command.  i don't feel good about the rays tomorrow.  i might take rangers +140 for the series and jostle back and forth accordingly.  i think it definitely goes 3.  this series will come down to corey seager and the rangers pen.  that's my prediction anyway, for entertainment purposes only.

they just had a nightmare scenario play out, so it's better that they get right back on the field.  sucker bettors will assume a rangers hangover, long travel, quick turnaround, and bet big on tampa.  time to zig when everyone else zags.  i predict montgomery goes 6.2ip, 2er, keeps them in it.

• Like 1

Where we recap the last week of the season- make fun of people that think exactly winning the division on the last game of the year in a fluke proves Dusty right, and predict the WC round. 
Spotify:
https://spotify.link/dTF8hYfZADb

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...st-champs?ref=dm_sh_1HkKFhSLKgamLMBpC2Ba5HLBo

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Where we recap the last week of the season- make fun of people that think exactly winning the division on the last game of the year in a fluke proves Dusty right, and predict the WC round. 
Spotify:
https://spotify.link/dTF8hYfZADb

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...st-champs?ref=dm_sh_1HkKFhSLKgamLMBpC2Ba5HLBo

I wanted the Astros to hire Mike Shildt when the Cardinals let him go a couple years ago.  He turned them around pretty significantly in 2018 when he took over for Matheny then got them to the NLCS in his first full season (though admittedly that series went shitty as fuck).  He did finish 2nd in the division the following two years but at least qualified for the playoffs but never did those teams have the talent that the Astros had/have.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The team handled qualifying for the playoffs properly, short speech from a team a leader and champagne toast. 

The Astros popped champagne and celebrated in 2015 win they secured the wild card. I thought it was dumb.

Just now, uoftorange said:

Sincere question:  Didn't the Rangers ALSO win the division?  I mean it's a tie.  So I'm assuming they are raising a banner for it next year, right?

And I don't really care how anyone chooses to celebrate.  Hope they had a great time.  Glad they lost the next day.  

Again, it would be aggy.  Without game 163 to break ties, it goes H2H.  They can claim it, but they ain't division champs in the eyes of MLB. 

Head-to-head record

The first and simplest tiebreaker is the result of the season series between the tied teams. If Team X and Team Y tie for the top spot in the division and Team X went 10-8 against Team Y, then Team X is the division champion.

30 minutes ago, mycox said:

The Astros popped champagne and celebrated in 2015 win they secured the wild card. I thought it was dumb.

It was fitting in 2015 given the depths of hell the team had been surveying the previous years.  They hadn't made the playoffs since 2005. They had 6 straight losing seasons (2009-14) including a 3 year stretch of 100+ loss seasons (2011-13) along the way.

We laugh at the Rangers not making the playoffs from 2017-2021 and rightfully so but that skid is child's play compared to the abyss the Astros were in until 2015...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

It was fitting in 2015 given the depths of hell the team had been surveying the previous years.  They hadn't made the playoffs since 2005. They had 6 straight losing seasons (2009-14) including a 3 year stretch of 100+ loss seasons (2011-13) along the way.

We laugh at the Rangers not making the playoffs from 2017-2021 and rightfully so but that skid is child's play compared to the abyss the Astros were in until 2015...

Yeah 2015 was different. That team legitimately needed to celebrate making the playoffs after the prior decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah 2015 was different. That team legitimately needed to celebrate making the playoffs after the prior decade. 

Yeah now if we could only go back in time and get nimrod Abbot to not tweet out his congratulations to the Astros for winning the ALDS vs the Royals mid game #fml

• Rage+1 4

13 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah now if we could only go back in time and get nimrod Abbot to not tweet out his congratulations to the Astros for winning the ALDS vs the Royals mid game #fml

Bruh I skipped work to go to that game and this is the first I'm hearing about Abbot tweeting...let me guess prob did it right after bottom of the 6th right after I got done high fiving and fist bumping all the strangers in the section around me and just before that epic meltdown...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Bruh I skipped work to go to that game and this is the first I'm hearing about Abbot tweeting...let me guess prob did it right after bottom of the 6th right after I got done high fiving and fist bumping all the strangers in the section around me and just before that epic meltdown...

Yup :(

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/10/12/astros-royals-texas-governor-congrats-twitter

32 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

That and the 2015 Astros didn't have a chance to win the division the next day. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, mycox said:

this season played out in a pretty unusual way.

typically the division winners clinch first, then the wild cards are sorted out.  i have no issue with any team that clinches something wanting to celebrate.  this was a unique situation that could've easily been handled by some veterans on the rangers taking charge and saying, "our work is not done yet - if we clinch a playoff spot tonight, we will have a moderate celebration, but let's stay focused and wait until tomorrow for the champagne goggles." 

they didn't, and now it's funny.  you just can't tempt the baseball gods that way.

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Don't care. Name another sport when a team celebrates backing into the payoffs. Neither NY or Houston won their division that year. The playoffs begin after the wildcard game. Sucks if you have the #3 seed now.

I'm sure NY was laughing at us celebrating until they got their ass kicked.

Edited by mycox

Damn, 22 former Astros in the playoffs this year. We can almost field two teams
Off the top of my head

DH- JD Martinez
1B - Yuli
2b - kike hernandez
3b- i got nothing
SS- Correa
LF- Robbie Grossman ugh
CF- Siri
RF- Springer
C- Vasquez
SP- Gerrit Col.....oh wait.....Keuchel (although he may be hurt)....so Charlie Morton...shoutout to Wade Miley
Closer - Will Smith
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's tricky.  they've had him on a short leash lately - throwing 4-5 innings, knowing how important he'll be in the playoffs for them.  can you imagine a rotation with mclanahan, springs, rasmussen, and glasnow?  fuck all that.  civale was a smart trade.  i think glasnow will go 5 strong, 0-2 er allowed.  right around 7-8k, he'll be fired up, but don't know about the 16.5 outs.  any hint of trouble and they'll yank him in a short series.  honestly if he went 4.2ip, 7k, 0er, that wouldn't surprise me.  they have the arms.

the guy who's been killing it has been montgomery.  like most lefties he's streaky, and he's on one right now.  and like i said, the rays are very hit or miss because of all the replacement guys on offense.  i think this could be 1-1 or 1-0 after 5, which is why i like 1st 5 under/4 (-120).  i exclusively take 1st 5 bets.  ranger 1st 5 runline could be interesting +0.5 runs.

semien has great numbers against him, but not many other rangers do.  he'll have the adrenaline pumping which could mean loss of command.  i don't feel good about the rays tomorrow.  i might take rangers +140 for the series and jostle back and forth accordingly.  i think it definitely goes 3.  this series will come down to corey seager and the rangers pen.  that's my prediction anyway, for entertainment purposes only.

they just had a nightmare scenario play out, so it's better that they get right back on the field.  sucker bettors will assume a rangers hangover, long travel, quick turnaround, and bet big on tampa.  time to zig when everyone else zags.  i predict montgomery goes 6.2ip, 2er, keeps them in it.

@Gourmand i don't know what you ended up with, but i feel like i nailed this.  my rangers 1st 5 already cashed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1