2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

which has fuckall to do with him being the best player in history.

Seriously y'all.  When the Angels come to town, take your kids, take your grandkids.  Go see this motherfucker. It's a once-in-a-lifetime deal.  They won't forget it.  He's Vince Young squared.

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

But only a 2 run lead with 6 outs to get…

Maybe if his team could cheat by beating on a fucking trash can they could score more runs, but they don't do that, because they aren't fucking cheating scumbags.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

In terms of what? I feel like you're after some super exclusive definition of "best player ever" that would result in Shohei being the clear answer. 

in terms of playing baseball. He's the clear answer.   The game of baseball.  All the baseball shit.  Baseball shit.  Have you ever played baseball?  If so, you know what it takes to play baseball.  If you played little league, the best player in your league was probably the best hitter and also the best pitcher.  That's Shohei.   He's THAT GUY from little league.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

But he isn’t the best hitter or best pitcher ever. Or best fielder. And he isn't anywhere close to any of those things. 

That's why I'm saying I think you need to define "best player ever" when you claim someone. 

He does more things well than anyone else has ever done   He's an all-star as a pitcher.  He's an all-star as a hitter.  

He's the best player by a mile on a team that has Mike Trout, who was generally considered the best player in baseball for the last decade or so. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But he isn’t the best hitter or best pitcher ever. Or best fielder. And he isn't anywhere close to any of those things. 

That's why I'm saying I think you need to define "best player ever" when you claim someone. 

So, who's your MVP vote right now? 

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

He does more things well than anyone else has ever done   He's an all-star as a pitcher.  He's an all-star as a hitter.  

He's the best player by a mile on a team that has Mike Trout, who was generally considered the best player in baseball for the last decade or so. 

Yeah I mean that doesn’t make him the best or greatest player of all time for me. He had a position player beat him out for total WAR last season. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, who's your MVP vote right now? 

Obviously Shohei. I didn't know this season's MVP vote also meant we were crowning the greatest player in the history of the game. 

You realize some guys have more than 2 MVPs, right? 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I mean that doesn’t make him the best or greatest player of all time for me. He had a position player beat him out for total WAR last season. 

that's a bullshit stat.  

If you were picking a team today, who's your first pick?

Just now, ztejas said:

Obviously Shohei. I didn't know this season's MVP vote also meant we were crowning the greatest player in the history of the game. 

You realize some guys have more than 2 MVPs, right? 

Stop pussyfooting around.  Grab your balls, and name a baseball player better than Shohei.  Ever.  Ruth, Aaron, Mantle,  Chuck Knobloch, whoever. Pick one.  

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

His overall impact still seems to be in line with the best position players of all time. So why is he automatically better than all of them? 

IMG_5636.thumb.jpeg.e3a2e1700756938f1bac4b2456d56ab6.jpeg

IMG_5637.thumb.jpeg.4bdfcd918ad62bd4689588b24c58202b.jpeg

he has the pitching WAR of nathan eovaldi and Zac Gallen, and the hitting WAR of juan soto and freddie freeman. and he's one guy. what's not to understand? 

*reminder that he's good enough to be one of the better defensive outfielders in the league if that wasn't such an injury risk for a guy who is already one of the 10 best pitchers *and* hitters in baseball. 

The obvious and easy comparison is Ruth since he pitched at the beginning of his career. 

and he was very good. 

http://www.baberuthcentral.com/babe-ruth-statistics/babe-ruth-the-pitcher/#:~:text=Wins (65 career)%3A,the Majors from 1915-17.

lots of great stats and notes there. 

As is always the case, comparing players in different eras adds a level of subjectivity, but compared to his peers, Ruth has the numbers on ohtani.  He didn’t have the longevity as a pitcher, so that comparison will get tougher the longer ohtani continues to pitch and pitch well. 

and btw not bad company to be in if that’s your best and closest comp. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

imagine if freddie freeman was 9-3 with a 2.82 era, 1.00 whip, and 101 k in 105.1 ip (leading the league in cg, so, and ip). that's shohei ohtani. 

And I can already imagine if he called off the other infielders to catch a popup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2