We don't rent pigs

You don’t mind doing a little well digging to pay for your breakfast, do you, Dish?  

( my oft quoted line when the young men show up at my deer camp trailer looking for something to eat after they stayed up too late the night before and there is work to be done)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

You don’t mind doing a little well digging to pay for your breakfast, do you, Dish?  

( my oft quoted line when the young men show up at my deer camp trailer looking for something to eat after they stayed up too late the night before and there is work to be done)

I hope one of them says to the others “The only way to get better food around here is by shooting Deadshank.” 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I didn't read the book until well over a decade after I saw the movie, and it's easily in my list of Top 10 books of all time.  Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon are also very, very good.  Never got around to Streets of Laredo.

Yep all three of those are very good. Fantastic story telling. 

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I didn't read the book until well over a decade after I saw the movie, and it's easily in my list of Top 10 books of all time.  Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon are also very, very good.  Never got around to Streets of Laredo.

A favorite Gus line from the book that I'm not sure made the show was

"My main talents are talkin' and cookin' biscuits and gettin' drunk on the porch"

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

RIP Blue Duck.  Forrest did an excellent job of portraying one of. the all-time great bad guys.

This bump hits close to home. I’m currently re-reading LD for probably the 4th time and am at the part where Gus is tracking Blue Duck and Lorena. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2023 at 10:06 AM, South Austin said:

Streets of Laredo is really good.  A solid cap to all of the character arcs.  Another reminder that Woodrow Call is the baddest mother fucker ever imagined.

I got a little treatment for women that try to run away.  I cut a hole in their stomachs and pull out a little gut and wrap it around a limb. Then I drag them 30 or 40 feet away and tie them down.  Then they can watch the coyotes come and eat their guts.   

gruesome. 

Go onto a McMurtry kick back in ‘21 after his passing. Lonesome Dove, last picture show, and leaving Cheyenne have always been some of my favorites. Rereading never gets old.

I was given a copy of - then stashed and forgot about - All My Friends Are Going to be Strangers.

What do you think if you’ve read it? Plan start it tomorrow to read over the next few days.