Future OOC Schedules - What should they look like?

DFW Horn

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I think so. I have no idea why CDC said 8 unless he was counting a home game in Dallas. 

In a year with 5 home games, it would be 4 at DKR, 1 in Dallas. 

At least 2, maybe 3 OOC home games. 

Best case scenario, 7 home games at DKR, 1 in Dallas. 

If it’s a 9 game SEC schedule, they have to make the 5th home game every other year be the “home” team in Dallas, otherwise the “home” team would only have 4 conference home games and only 3 in their actual stadium. That would give UT and OU 4 true home games per year. Even if all 3 OOC games were at home, that would only be 7.

In the opposite scenario where the road team in Dallas had 5 home games at their stadium, plus 3 OOC at home, you could have 8. But that means the odd years when Dallas counts as one of your 4 home games, you’d only have 3 at DKR  + 3 OOC = 6 home games. I don’t think there’s a permanent method for 8 home games at DKR annually under a 9 game SEC schedule. If it was an 8 game conference schedule, you could do 4 home OOC games and 4 conference home games to get to 8; but that will only be when you are the road team in Dallas. The home team in Dallas would only have 7 games at their stadium. Conclusion: if you went home only for OOC, you will either alternate 6/8 true home games per year, or have 7 every year, or alternate 7/8 per year. CDC is high. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I think so. I have no idea why CDC said 8 unless he was counting a home game in Dallas. 

In a year with 5 home games, it would be 4 at DKR, 1 in Dallas. 

At least 2, maybe 3 OOC home games. 

Best case scenario, 7 home games at DKR, 1 in Dallas. 

He said 7 home games, which means all of the out of conference games have to be home games, so I doubt it is a realistic goal every year.

The only OOC away games we will do are to the marquee/Power 5 teams we play. We're not going to Houston to play Rice or El Paso to play UTEP. We'll always have the lower tier FBS teams to Austin. Probably will be a lot of one off matchups like we're doing with San Jose State and Colorado State going forward. Teams that are okay with coming to Austin for a payday but not expecting a return trip from us. This way we maximize our amount of home games each season. The preference is all 3 OOCs are home games but that's not realistic if we want to get decent teams on the schedule. Those teams want Texas coming into their stadium once. 

I believe the UTEP/UTSA deal runs through 2031 but I'd imagine we'll re-up with that and maybe trade one of them out for Rice. 

Edited by mdmost

If we're scheduling top-tier opponents in a 4-team playoff why the hell would we decide to not schedule them in a 12-team playoff? 11-2 Big 12 champion UT with a loss at Bama & a conference loss somewhere still gets in the 4-team playoff. 9-3 UT with a loss at OSU & 2 conference losses probably gets in on most years depending on how exactly everything shakes out. No FCS teams because fuck that. Only Big 12 teams that'll come to daddy & not require a return trip because fuck that (and fuck playing a Big 12 team in general for several years anyways but eventually playing TCU, OSU, & BYU as a one off in an interesting neutral site or only at home may be okay). Really last years schedule is optimal & you just have to figure out how to schedule the weak OOC home schedule with the strong conference home schedule (a&m, LSU, Bama, etc.) when we play the away leg of the home & home.

2 hours ago, n64ra said:

We better continue the one big name P5 school each year like we did last and this decade - ND, USC, LSU, Bama, Michican, and tOSU come to mind. We better NOT start scheduling FCS teams like aggy.

Well, we had to bail on the Georgia and Florida series since we'll meet up with them eventually so we'll have openings in 2028-2031. We have Arizona State in 2032 and 2033. Not a marquee name but a good home and away for our fans. I'd imagine we'll start seeing some matchup announcements after the SEC future schedules get finalized. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

Going forward, at least for good B1G and SEC teams, I think there will be less focus on "We have to play at least X home games per year to make the financials work" and more emphasis on scheduling big games against peer programs.  With the ungodly amounts their media contracts are reaching these teams can afford to make a tradeoff to improve the quality of their schedule at the expense of quantity.  The entire sport, from the top to the bottom, is having a harder time every year selling season tickets and getting asses in seats.  Replacing games against Eastern Who Gives A Fuck State with CFP contenders or at least teams people have heard of is an effective way to combat that.  Some teams are already embracing this strategy.  Here are games scheduled from 2024-2034 (starting at that date because it's when the B1G and SEC reach 16 teams).  All home and home unless otherwise noted.

Georgia: Georgia Tech every year, Clemson 5 times (2 H&H 1 neutral), UCLA, Louisville, Florida State, Ohio State, NC State.  In 2030 they're playing Clemson and Ohio State.  Georgia also had to cancel games in this timespan with Texas and Oklahoma due to realignment.

Alabama: Wisconsin, Florida State, West Virginia, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Arizona, Boston College, Minnesota, Virginia Tech.  In 2025 they're playing at FSU and hosting Wisconsin.  In 2026 they play at WVU and host FSU.  In 2027 they host WVU and go to Ohio State.  Considering Alabama refused to schedule H&Hs with P5 teams for almost all of Saban's tenure and more than 1 P5 team per year ever under Saban this is a pretty dramatic change in scheduling philosophy.  I know Saban has bitched before about fans not showing up against cupcakes and leaving blowouts early.

Some of these games will be canceled after the SEC moves to 9 conference games, but some of these years only have 2-3 noncon teams on the schedule so adding a 9th conference game won't bump anybody then.

• Hook 'Em 1

So with the Michigan/Texas home and home switch with us going to Ann Arbor in 2024, Michigan will have played continuous home OOC games from 2018 to 2025 when they go to Norman to play OU. Granted, an away game at Washington was called because of Covid and was rescheduled to 2028. That's CDC's dream. 

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

So with the Michigan/Texas home and home switch with us going to Ann Arbor in 2024, Michigan will have played continuous home OOC games from 2018 to 2025 when they go to Norman to play OU. Granted, an away game at Washington was called because of Covid and was rescheduled to 2028. That's CDC's dream. 

It can be done.  Especially if Oregon, UW, 4 Corner schools get desperate enough for a marquee game to pump up their strength of schedule. I’d get in front of it soon and tell Arizona State to go screw on a home and home series. Give them the game in Austin and that’s it. 

Had this in another topic, but I think the CFB Playoff needs to require a more standardized scheduling.   It's never going to be perfect, but at least get close:

1. 9 conference games
  2. 2 H-H series with another P5 conference, so every year you have a home and away, next year swap, then get a new team (unless its a rivalry)
  3. 1 - FBS group of five home game for cash and exposure.
  4. ZERO FCS allowed, outside scheduling one in a spring game.

That gives everyone 12 FBS games and 11 P5 games and should provide 6.5 home games a year.  The consistency should also provide a larger value to tv contracts and put a lot more losses on crappy teams who feed on weak schedules.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Had this in another topic, but I think the CFB Playoff needs to require a more standardized scheduling.   It's never going to be perfect, but at least get close:

1. 9 conference games
  2. 2 H-H series with another P5 conference, so every year you have a home and away, next year swap, then get a new team (unless its a rivalry)
  3. 1 - FBS group of five home game for cash and exposure.
  4. ZERO FCS allowed, outside scheduling one in a spring game.

That gives everyone 12 FBS games and 11 P5 games and should provide 6.5 home games a year.  The consistency should also provide a larger value to tv contracts and put a lot more losses on crappy teams who feed on weak schedules.

Yeah, it's the SEC team's habit of scheduling November FCS cupcakes that really piss you off. Including their own fans and especially their season ticket holders.

Soon all P5 conferences will adopt a 9-game league schedule to maximize their media contracts. I'm surprised ACC is still at 8. TV should give them a pro rata increase for this consideration. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Yeah, it's the SEC team's habit of scheduling November FCS cupcakes that really piss you off. Including their own fans and especially their season ticket holders.

Soon all P5 conferences will adopt a 9-game league schedule to maximize their media contracts. I'm surprised ACC is still at 8. TV should give them a pro rata increase for this consideration. 

I think the ACC is still following the SEC on this one, because of games like FSU/Florida, Clemson/SC, Kentucky/Louisville.    As soon as the SEC moves, the ACC will as well, and you're right, they'll see a programming bump - to the tune of about a 12% revenue increase.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/24/2023 at 5:17 PM, mdmost said:

Well, we had to bail on the Georgia and Florida series since we'll meet up with them eventually so we'll have openings in 2028-2031. We have Arizona State in 2032 and 2033. Not a marquee name but a good home and away for our fans. I'd imagine we'll start seeing some matchup announcements after the SEC future schedules get finalized. 

Bailing because you're joining the same conference is quite different. I'll take at Wisconsin in '28 and vs in '29. If those four years end up being full of less than marquee matchups, it is what it is, but the '32 and beyond years better not be continual mid-tier and lower junk.

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 1

Easy enough:

One home G5 walkover from nearby: Rice, UT system school, LaTech or Tulsa because they have cool uniforms

One marquee matchup - full college football pageantry weekend: Blueblood, near-blueblood, or a great away trip like Washington, Arizona/ASU, or Wisconsin

One higher-tier G5 as a warmup for conference play: UTSA (at least for now), Fresno State, USF

Gets you the balance of 8 home games, only one game that's pure dogshit (and since it's the season opener that's fine), and awesome new travel experiences every other year.

Oh, and they already don't fit into this but never Baylor or UH. No one needs those fanbases in our lives.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Home away with Miami, fsu, UW level schools 

2-1 with rice forever 

2-1 rotate with utep, utsa, sfa, etc so we can help fans across the state see us and give our little sister schools some “exciting” buzz 

You want the University of Texas to play a road game at SFA? Are you fucking high?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Same level as at Wyoming and ucf Back in the day 

Wyoming seats 30k and I can’t believe DeLoss made that deal for a 2-1. He must have killed an hooker and owed someone a favor or lost a game of poker or something.

UCF had a brand new 44k seat stadium in the heart or Florida.

SFA’s stadium seats less than 15,000, there is no way we would play there…maybe if they hosted it at NRG in Houston.

21 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Home away with Miami, fsu, UW level schools 

2-1 with rice forever 

2-1 rotate with utep, utsa, sfa, etc so we can help fans across the state see us and give our little sister schools some “exciting” buzz 

Boy, am I glad you aren't in charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2023 at 3:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Texas should explore a FCS game. Especially after the SFA acquisition. I’m sure that program needs every red cent they can find.

I think we’ll see SEC teams like aggy and Auburn try to sneak in 2 FCS games if they’re forced into 9 conference games + an ACC game. I think Sankey will shut it down, but the compromise is probably 1 FCS game a year. 

Negged for the stupid fucking FCS take. Don't even speak shit like that into existence. Christ. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Count me in with those who want to continue to play marquee match-ups in the OOC. I'm fine if that is occasionally Stanford or Iowa or Washington to go along with the USC/ND/PSU/OSU/Michigan type mix. ACC teams are fine as part of that. 

After that, mix in also-ran FBS schools or great location schools (not Hawaii) on either a single game basis or a 2-1 trade. I know people whine about UCF and Wyoming, but those are trips donors/boosters and LHF lower levels had made clear they'd like to make. The same is true regarding Tulane before that. I'd have no problem with a 2-1 with SDSU, Tulane, UCF (guessing they wouldn't do that these days), UNLV (ducks), or a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. 

Anyone mentioning a 1-1 with SMU is an imbecile. 

I would be fine never playing a 1-1 with the Texas Big 12 and legacy Big 12 schools ever again. Particularly, UH, Baylor, TCU and KU. They're all lose-lose scenarios for UT. I wouldn't like a 1-1 with Tech, but it doesn't sound like Texas is very interested in that anyway. The rest, like WVU, OSU, KSU, and ISU are just meh. 

No FCS, ever. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Until this past season, we had never.  But played a HBCU as a gesture of our wokeness.

IIRC Texas played Sam Houston back in 2008 as an emergency makeup game when Arkansas canceled on us due to the hurricane. Why this tweet only goes back 15 years.

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

IIRC Texas played Sam Houston back in 2008 as an emergency makeup game when Arkansas canceled on us due to the hurricane. Why this tweet only goes back 15 years.

Pretty sure that was 2006 and due to Utah canceling a series with us very late in the cycle. Dodds grossly miscalculated the UT booster and fan reactions to doing it and swore Texas would never do it again.

According to people who know their shit, Texas has emphatically argued against the continued practice of the SEC requiring their conference members to schedule FCS teams. Georgia, LSU, and Alabama also allegedly hate it. I am interested to see how this goes directionally, and I suspect we'll know a lot more about it by the end of this month.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/23/2023 at 3:00 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Tech might do a 2 for 1, maybe, but probably not. I’d tell them to call us back in 2034-2035. They need to get plenty desperate to go for that. Let ‘em stew. 

Schedule schools within the UT system and schools like Rice, Texas St, SMU, etc OOC. 

Fuck Tech, Fuck the Big 12.

We don't owe big 12 shit, we're literally paying to leave so we don't have to so fuck them.

Schedule 1 Texas based school as described above in the first sentence.

Schedule 1 directional school from Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, etc from g5 to a home game only.

Schedule home/home series with mid to low tier ACC or PAC school in pivotal recruiting grounds such as California, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia types.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pretty sure that was 2006 and due to Utah canceling a series with us very late in the cycle. Dodds grossly miscalculated the UT booster and fan reactions to doing it and swore Texas would never do it again.

According to people who know their shit, Texas has emphatically argued against the continued practice of the SEC requiring their conference members to schedule FCS teams. Georgia, LSU, and Alabama also allegedly hate it. I am interested to see how this goes directionally, and I suspect we'll know a lot more about it by the end of this month.

Yep, 2008 was hurricane Ike moving the Arkansas game but you’re right Sam was in 2006.

and good, playing FCS is dumb

On 4/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, Helobious said:

All the “never play a tough OOC game again” folks are bringing some serious beta energy to the thread.

I'm not against playing a tough OOC opponent but there are zero benefits to playing one moving forward. Need to be ranked 5, 6, 7, 8 if we do not win the conference. Playing the regular SEC schedule is enough for that.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not against playing a tough OOC opponent but there are zero benefits to playing one moving forward. Need to be ranked 5, 6, 7, 8 if we do not win the conference. Playing the regular SEC schedule is enough for that.

I mean I think testing your mettle against a tough team that you might meet in the playoffs is a benefit, but go off sis. Bama isn’t scared of tough OOC games, hasn’t seemed to ruin their program. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I mean I think testing your mettle against a tough team that you might meet in the playoffs is a benefit, but go off sis. Bama isn’t scared of tough OOC games, hasn’t seemed to ruin their program. 

Bama currently also benefits from 8 conference games. I don't think 8 conference games will be the standard moving forward in the new landscape. It will be interesting to see if they, along with other SEC teams, changes their OOC scheduling as well.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

2026 Georgia Football Schedule

UCLA Bruins Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 5

UCLA

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

WKU Hilltoppers Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 12

WKU

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Louisville Cardinals Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 19

atLouisville

Time TBA ET | TV Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Football Schedule

SATURDAY, NOV 28

Georgia Tech

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

2027 Georgia Football Schedule

Florida State Seminoles Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 4

atFlorida State

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Louisville Cardinals Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 18

Louisville

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Football Schedule

SATURDAY, NOV 27

atGeorgia Tech

2030 Georgia Football Schedule

Clemson Tigers Football Schedule

SATURDAY, AUG 31

Clemson

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

North Carolina A&T Aggies Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 7

North Carolina A&T

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Ohio State Buckeyes Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 14

Ohio State

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Football Schedule

SATURDAY, NOV 30

Georgia Tech

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Edited by TKthunder2

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Plus, there's the fan experience. Playing Michigan or Washington or Florida State is just fun. This is the weirdest, most regionally unique, tradition based sport in the country. The only big games being your conference mates is fucking boring. We're all doing this to make memories as well as just win.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No one knows what the future holds in regard to how playoff participants (that don't win their conference) get ranked and win entry. Every person opining that tough schedules in the non-con is assuming that past behaviors predict future outcomes. I see it on threads here, hear it on XM84, and read it in various articles. They're all as declarative as you. 

That isn't how chaos works. The realignment upheaval, the emergence of an expanded playoff, and the new assertiveness of programming platforms are all variables that did not exist in the past. We may very well discover that strong schedules overall that lead to a 9-3 record with 3 "quality" losses is able to overcome another school's 11-2 record in which the team lost the conference title match and had another one to a mediocre opponent and then otherwise played no one of merit. 11-2 with a difficult non-con loss and conference title loss is likely to get in every single time if coming from a P5.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Bama isn’t scared of tough OOC games

Bama has no problem playing teams in Atlanta in a de facto home game and calling it a "neutral site".

Wasn't their trip to Austin last year the first time they played a true road non conference road game in like 12 years?

Edited by Hookem2147

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No one knows what the future holds in regard to how playoff participants (that don't win their conference) get ranked and win entry. Every person opining that tough schedules in the non-con is assuming that past behaviors predict future outcomes. I see it on threads here, hear it on XM84, and read it in various articles. They're all as declarative as you. 

That isn't how chaos works. The realignment upheaval, the emergence of an expanded playoff, and the new assertiveness of programming platforms are all variables that did not exist in the past. We may very well discover that strong schedules overall that lead to a 9-3 record with 3 "quality" losses is able to overcome another school's 11-2 record in which the team lost the conference title match and had another one to a mediocre opponent and then otherwise played no one of merit. 11-2 with a difficult non-con loss and conference title loss is likely to get in every single time if coming from a P5.

Looking back at past CFB playoff rankings

image.png.7087f630da21e7cb7232e71f30ec4389.png

The CFB committee put this out a few weeks ago as to what the playoff would have looked like in 2022 using criteria

FuvFVHIWAAEkNL7.jpg

3 loss Utah was ranked ahead of 3 loss Kansas St, both won their conference but due to Utah's ranking ahead of Kansas St they get the 4 seed and bye. Kansas St being ranked 9th even though they won their conference doesn't get to host a home game. I think a 3 loss SEC team winning the conference will be rare moving forward so it is pivotal to finish in that 5-8 range to ensure home field advantage for the first round. I would wager that that scenario becomes rare moving forward. 

A complete different thought is a team like Utah with 3 losses shouldn't be awarded a bye just because they won a shit conference. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White