2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Hmmmm.  Who to believe, Nahlin or Thamel? 

Murph's a California kid.  Maybe San Diego State or UNLV or similar? 

UNLV had a pretty good season from their RS Freshman QB.  San Diego St has a 5th year senior with one more season of eligibility.  Maybe he understudies there for a year?

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Please show me the post. 

Either way, it's a huge stretch to think Murphy looked anything like Ewers did last year. They are nowhere similar from a developmental stage. Ewers was a much more advanced passer. 

You want me to find “the post” on surly where people were ripping Ewers as an overrated failure? Nah, you can do that or go on believing it didn’t happen. Makes no difference to me. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

If you think Ewers looked anything last year like Murphy did this year you should probably stop evaluating QBs. 

In Ewers 2nd start he was dicing up Alabama while Murphy was turning the ball over against K-State. Now that isn't to say Murphy is incapable of developing but this is a god awful comparison. Ewers was 20X more advanced as a passer last year. 

People forget how good Murphy looked in the first half of K-State. Yes, he made some mistakes and was a massive liability in the 4th. But he started strong. He played well enough to give us a cushion, at least. Lots of teams wouldn't get that from their backup. Hell, many won't even get that from their starter. 

Ewers that game against Alabama: 9/12, 134 yards

Maalik's first 12 throws against KSU: 8/12, 159 yards, 1 TD

As a prospect, Maalik has some very clear issues. But I think anybody that thinks significantly differently about him now compared to August got caught up in the spring game koolaid. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You want me to find “the post” on surly where people were ripping Ewers as an overrated failure? Nah, you can do that or go on believing it didn’t happen. Makes no difference to me. 

1) I thought you were referencing me? 

2) No, I don't really care. It's a straw man. Whether Ewers is "overrated" or not is beside the point. He was a much more developed passer last year compared to Murphy this year. 

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

People forget how good Murphy looked in the first half of K-State. 

He started strong when the plays were scripted. After that it was all down hill. 

I'm not going to hate on him anymore because he was a good teammate and a good Longhorn. Just saying, I think people are drastically overvaluing his projected value. 

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Yes they are. My gf is a gorgeous Dutch woman. The Dutch women and the women from the Baltics (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) are tied for the most beautiful women per capita on the planet. I think Riga, Latvia has the most insanely amount of gorgeous women per capita but Vilnius, Talinn, Amsterdam etc... are right there. 

Yes, all of the Baltic women are gorgeous, from Polish, Swedes, Estonia, and you named the others. They're on another level of gorgeous. The Dutch as well. My god Dutch and Swedish women are just all 10's.

1) I thought you were referencing me? 

2) No, I don't really care. It's a straw man. Whether Ewers is "overrated" or not is beside the point. He was a much more developed passer last year compared to Murphy this year. 

Talking about opinions regarding Ewers at times last year vs. now is not a strawman. It’s evidence that players can improve. 

Trying to make this about the relative levels of Ewers and Murphy… now that is a strawman. 

• Like 1

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

He is already ahead of Manning so I don't think he is running away from competing for the job against Arch. This is likely more about Ewers coming back which I hope remains true if we are going to lose Murphy. 

Everything from behind the scenes was over the last portion of the season Manning was starting to overtake him as the 2 spot as far as practice reps go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Acropora said:

Have you seen him in high school?  I know that he's playing college now but I want you to look at him in high school and tell me he's not better then prime John Elway.  We know high school is a higher level than Appalachian State and they beat us so the only explanation is Jimbo held him back.  Also injuries.  This Will Howard sucks.  He played in the BDF.  And lost to TU.  Good thing we have a real OC in Optimus Klein.  He comes from a real conference and never lost to TU.  With him and Moffitt we're gonna have the most physical team in the SEC. His offenses were the most physical in his conference, which was in the Midwest so probably the big10.  

I just wish TU wouldn't drop so many bags so more kids could appreciate and experience what it is to be a Texas Aggie!   Whoop!   Gonna squeeze my nuts extra to prepare for next year!   

Optimus Klein is fucking hilarious. Pod rep, and I wish I could give more. Homy shit lol 

He started strong when the plays were scripted. After that it was all down hill. 

I'm not going to hate on him anymore because he was a good teammate and a good Longhorn. Just saying, I think people are drastically overvaluing his projected value. 

Yeah, I was typing up another response - I agree with you that Quinn was clearly a more developed prospect than Maalik two games into their career. My original point was just about comparing their game 2 performances. Quinn never got past the script against Alabama. We don't know what would have happened there (I think he would've continued to ball). 

I just hope Maalik's performance this year - which helped us reach the CFP - isn't going to cost him opportunities. 

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Yeah, I was typing up another response - I agree with you that Quinn was clearly a more developed prospect than Maalik two games into their career. My original point was just about comparing their game 2 performances. Quinn never got past the script against Alabama. We don't know what would have happened there (I think he would've continued to ball). 

I just hope Maalik's performance this year - which helped us reach the CFP - isn't going to cost him opportunities. 

I think a good fit for Maalik would be somewhere like Iowa. 

A good run game, a good defense, and a place where there's not a ton of pressure from the QB. Plus, it sounds like they may be hiring Chryst so there's familiarity with Maalik.  

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If you don't look like a Heisman candidate in your first two college starts where you're stepping in for the injured starter, you'll never amount to shit. 

Nobody ever changes or improves.

How about this, dudes that lack athleticism, shy away from contact, aren’t accurate and don’t read through their progressions quickly don’t generally make good QB’s? Mike Leach and Bill Walsh both felt accuracy wasn’t something that gets improved and my 45 years watching football confirms this. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How about this, dudes that lack athleticism, shy away from contact, aren’t accurate and don’t read through their progressions quickly don’t generally make good QB’s? Mike Leach and Bill Walsh both felt accuracy wasn’t something that gets improved and my 45 years watching football confirms this. 

I guess you’ve not followed Josh Allen’s career at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

He is already ahead of Manning so I don't think he is running away from competing for the job against Arch. This is likely more about Ewers coming back which I hope remains true if we are going to lose Murphy. 

I don't know why you guys are sleeping on Charles Wright.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

100% agree. This is spot on.

Also, username checks out.

Man I miss Augie. RIP, legend. I like Pierce, but unless he surprisingly gets elite, I don't see him winning us a NC. I don't expect him to win 5 NC's like Augie, but he leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe this crop he's bringing in 2024 (No. 3 class) and 2025 will get us one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Everything from behind the scenes was over the last portion of the season Manning was starting to overtake him as the 2 spot as far as practice reps go. 

"Behind the scenes" has been saying that since fall camp. Yet when Ewers went down it was Murphy out there, with back issues, and he wasn't on a short leash. The only reason Arch played vs Tech was because Murphy got hurt on the sideline. In the Big 12 CCG, Murphy was the next man up. So I'll go based on what we actually saw vs some imaginary reports on what's happening "behind the scenes".

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Two. Games.

I don't give a shit about having a tiresome argument about this. He was accurate in high school. He hit some nice passes in the games this season. Rag on him all you want. Maybe he will be bad. My point was and remains that evaluation on such narrow evidence is likely to be no more accurate than you imagine his passing to be.

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

"Behind the scenes" has been saying that since fall camp. Yet when Ewers went down it was Murphy out there, with back issues, and he wasn't on a short leash. The only reason Arch played vs Tech was because Murphy got hurt on the sideline. In the Big 12 CCG, Murphy was the next man up. So I'll go based on what we actually saw vs some imaginary reports on what's happening "behind the scenes".

IDK what to tell you bud, Maalik had no future here.

48 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So wtf is Quinn waiting for at this point? All these reporters are essentially saying he's coming back, MM must think so, but QE is playing it quiet..

Because although he may be planning to come back, if he goes nuclear in these next two games like the B12 CCG then everything changes.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought the same and then Josh Allen proved that that was bullshit. 

Josh is still an idiot, but his completion percentage definitely improved.

I think that VY’s did over his 5 years in Tennessee as well.

Maalik needs lots of reps vs lower level competition so that he can improve his technique and allow the game to slow down for him.

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

"Behind the scenes" has been saying that since fall camp. Yet when Ewers went down it was Murphy out there, with back issues, and he wasn't on a short leash. The only reason Arch played the entire 4th quarter vs Tech was because Murphy got hurt on the sideline. In the Big 12 CCG, Murphy was the next man up. So I'll go based on what we actually saw vs some imaginary reports on what's happening "behind the scenes".

Murphy would have gotten the first reps and then Arch would have come on. 

Arch hadn’t taken a snap in his college career when Maalik ended up starting two games. Sark was not going to shit on Maalik and start a kid who had never taken a snap. Sark also wanted to preserve Arch’s redshirt.

But after Maalik threw 4 INTs over 2 games (and had 2 more sure INTs somehow dropped), Quinn was rushed back before he was healthy.

Once Arch got into a game, it was immediately obvious that he was the better backup and in the playoffs, you play your best players.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

It doesn’t matter what Murphy could become, big time programs aren’t looking for developmental project QBs as starters in the portal. 

He doesn't need to go to a big time program. If he can ball, the NFL will find him. I AM NOT SAYING HE'S A NFL QB. Josh Allen came from Wyoming.

Haynes King looked like dogshit at aggy. GaTech gave him a home. Not one dude on this board would've said with as much certainty as some of yall are dismissing Murphy that King would be a decent starting QB. I'm sure some of you would've said the same shit about King, myself included.

Sometimes strange things happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.