Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

On 9/4/2023 at 8:35 PM, mdmost said:

It's such a thoroughly depressing place. After we had lunch at a terrible chain restaurant, we drove to the "downtown" area so she could see the old Main Post Office that her dad worked at. It is so dead and depressing. Just a ghost town. There's about a 3 block radius of life but everything else is just abandoned. It reminded me of Amarillo's downtown where there's the dead zone not too far outside of it. I think the mesquite trees and red dirt are really what makes it so damn hot. Just no break in that miserable, desolate plain. All the rotting buildings and former oil refineries probably doesn't help. It's just a bleak place. Those mud falls don't make it any prettier.

I

I drove out to Amarillo last week and took the W/NW route traveling through the sprawling metropolises of Meridian, Eastland and Aspermont among many others.   You want to talk about depressing?   In one small town (I don't remember which one) even the liquor store is permanently closed.    How bad does shit have to get for that to happen?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

A. Tomasco is a Westlake grad. I hear he posts here as @TreatyOak

What are you saying? That's completely inaccurate. I don't know why you would think that, cause it's not me. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Who told you that? Was it my wife? It's not true, so please pull this down ASAP. Again, not me. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I drove out to Amarillo last week and took the W/NW route traveling through the sprawling metropolises of Meridian, Eastland and Aspermont among many others.   You want to talk about depressing?   In one small town (I don't remember which one) even the liquor store is permanently closed.    How bad does shit have to get for that to happen?

Probably a Twin or something on I-20 close by that killed them in pricing.  Shit happens like that a lot out there.  

Those are some familial stomping grounds out that way (Rochester/Rule/Aspermont/Haskell).  

30 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Wait....you went through Eastland, and didn't stop to see the memorial to Old Rip?  You some kinda commie or sumpin'?

52 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I get married next Friday. It will rain. You all can thank me in advance, or send condolences. 

It's cool.  I'm sure he's a great guy, and y'all will be very happy together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't judge, man.  Love is love.  Even when I find it icky.

Careful, she will push you off that damn ledge. Don't fuck with a woman who can weld, hunt gators AND looks damn good at a cocktail party. 

Damn lawyers.... Always playing to the jury but we know they are all evil and drive teslas at 50 MPH in the far left lane. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
MIA caught the error.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Careful, she will push you off that damn ledge. Don't fuck with a woman who can weld, hunt gators AND looks damn good at a cocktail party. 

Damn lawyers.... Always playing the to the jury but we know they are all evil and drive teslas at 50 MPH in the far left lane. 

Ahem...

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, Kavinsky said:

My grandmother resides in WF. Went to visit her for her 96th birthday early last month. Left town at 9pm. Phone showed 103°. 

I recall reading sometime ago that wf is the hottest city outside of the American sw. I'm sure one of the meteorology guys on board could provide an explanation.

Hotter than Comanche? Not sure what it is but Rick Mitchell pointed it out earlier this summer. They've been consistently been the hottest DFW-adjacent city/town most of this summer. Has something to do with the topography, or something. (Just rolled back NBCDFW's 4pm opener and Comanche is 110. Sherman is the hottest place on the map at 111.)

It's such a thoroughly depressing place. After we had lunch at a terrible chain restaurant, we drove to the "downtown" area so she could see the old Main Post Office that her dad worked at. It is so dead and depressing. Just a ghost town. There's about a 3 block radius of life but everything else is just abandoned. It reminded me of Amarillo's downtown where there's the dead zone not too far outside of it. I think the mesquite trees and red dirt are really what makes it so damn hot. Just no break in that miserable, desolate plain. All the rotting buildings and former oil refineries probably doesn't help. It's just a bleak place. Those mud falls don't make it any prettier.

I remember the minister who married us  gave me some great advice at one of the pre-marriage counseling sessions we had to do. He was her minister growing up and had moved to DFW.  He knew my wife really well. I got to the session about 20 minutes before her so we had plenty of time to chat about things. He told me to never take her back to Wichita Falls as there's nothing for her there outside of trips to see her parents and that it would be better if I just made her parents come to us. He said she had outgrown that place a long time ago and he could tell she was one of the lucky ones that was going to make it out of there and onto better things. All that was left in WF was depression for her. And boy, he's right. Whenever we go back there to visit her family, she's really down for the next few days. Almost like survivor's guilt. 

Somebody posted some pretty good-lookin' enchiladas on the Food board that came from somewhere in Wichita Falls last week or something. Should've gone there.

Edited by C-Man

I remember the minister who married us  gave me some great advice at one of the pre-marriage counseling sessions we had to do. He was her minister growing up and had moved to DFW.  He knew my wife really well. I got to the session about 20 minutes before her so we had plenty of time to chat about things. He told me to never take her back to Wichita Falls as there's nothing for her there outside of trips to see her parents and that it would be better if I just made her parents come to us. He said she had outgrown that place a long time ago and he could tell she was one of the lucky ones that was going to make it out of there and onto better things. All that was left in WF was depression for her. And boy, he's right. Whenever we go back there to visit her family, she's really down for the next few days. Almost like survivor's guilt. 

If he's not getting married in Austin, I see no big issue with it.  Next day, when everybody is hungover.  Do a cool brunch, let people lounge by a pool or hotel, and then have a UT gamewatch informal deal that night.  Not a bad setup.  

Last weekend, my wife's grad school friend was in town for the first time in like 15 years and they met up for a drink.  They ran into a bachelorette party 15 years younger than them.  Almost everyone was from outta state and dying in the heat.  Bride is a UT grad and lives here in Austin.  They're all coming back tomorrow for the Saturday afternoon wedding so that they can have the reception with the UT/ALA game on in the background.  Wedding is some new events venue out in Hill Country, reception back downtown at some hotel.  Anyway, I'm guessing to have the ceremony and some photos 'n shit and then head back into town, wedding probably starts around 2pm or so.  My wife can pinpoint an accent pretty well.  Most of these ladies are from the midwest and she said a few of them look "sturdy."  So 1-3pm outdoor wedding?  Saturday?  Heat index around 105-110.  Maybe some water respite in Town Lake after hitting the bars of Rainey Street?  

During football season? Dafuq is the matter with you?
Pussy is undefeated?

We are having our wedding reception in the Bay Area on Saturday (we eloped in June). Then watching the game after the party with friends. Big TV set up outside and it will be in the low 70s. I'll take it, not sure if my liver survives.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If he's not getting married in Austin, I see no big issue with it.  Next day, when everybody is hungover.  Do a cool brunch, let people lounge by a pool or hotel, and then have a UT gamewatch informal deal that night.  Not a bad setup.  

Last weekend, my wife's grad school friend was in town for the first time in like 15 years and they met up for a drink.  They ran into a bachelorette party 15 years younger than them.  Almost everyone was from outta state and dying in the heat.  Bride is a UT grad and lives here in Austin.  They're all coming back tomorrow for the Saturday afternoon wedding so that they can have the reception with the UT/ALA game on in the background.  Wedding is some new events venue out in Hill Country, reception back downtown at some hotel.  Anyway, I'm guessing to have the ceremony and some photos 'n shit and then head back into town, wedding probably starts around 2pm or so.  My wife can pinpoint an accent pretty well.  Most of these ladies are from the midwest and she said a few of them look "sturdy."  So 1-3pm outdoor wedding?  Saturday?  Heat index around 105-110.  Maybe some water respite in Town Lake after hitting the bars of Rainey Street?  

You invite Nicole? 

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Don't get me started on the fucking outdoor weddings from June-September in central Texas.  Remember, that's my wife's gig - marrying these people.  Used to be, everyone had a lick of sense; if you got married in summer in Texas, you got married inside, because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IT'S HOT.

Now, all of these brides have seen a shitload of Instagram posts about how gorgeous outdoor summer weddings are, skipping right past the fact that every one of those posts comes from someone in New England, or SoCal, or the UP of Michigan or some shit, WHERE IT'S NOT 1,000 DEGREES FOR FOUR FUCKING MONTHS STRAIGHT.  So, she's had multiple outdoor weddings this summer, and another one coming up.  She has had people actually pass out at them.  Other guests give up after 15-20 minutes, and leave the wedding to go someplace indoor with AC.  Bride and groom standing up front, drenched in sweat.  Hell, she's had some of them ask her to perform in her vestments -- she has answered (politely) "fuck that shit, I'll be wearing a little black dress."  She is ripshit pissed at all the wedding coordinators who put up with this shit and don't tell their brides not to do it.  It's stupid, selfish, fucking dumb, and dangerous.

Imagine if a fucking bride in Fargo said "ya know, I really want to have an outdoor wedding, you betcha.  I was thinking January 15th, right next to the river in Orchard Glen Park.  Ya know, I saw some pictures of that place, with the trees all in bloom, and it looks soooooo pretty!"  The wedding coordinator would just look at her and say "Outside?  On January 15th?  No."

You wouldn't subject people to standing outside for an hour when it's -20, why in the fuck do you think it's okay to do so when it's 105?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

no, thankfully Nicole has a demonstrated pattern and target demographic.  

We crack wise on here about people having weddings during football season, but if it's some away game weekend and you wanna get married in Austin in November for mild weather and to save money for off-peak season, I got no issue with that.  But getting married the second weekend of September in Austin, regardless of football schedules, is fucking insane.  You gotta worry about every obese and/or elderly relative bursting into flames.  Nobody's gonna have any fun or enjoy the city.  It's just a cruel way of saying "Tough it out, it's my day!" 

All that to say, congrats on your pending nuptials.  You know the history better than I do, but please tell me you're making a Peasant Stew in honor of where the Act of Independence was signed.  There is no way anyone can handle your Guatemala-ness:

This is the other kinda heat to be afraid of.

Folks, I DID NOT do it on the Alabama game weekend. I am not a fucking idiot. 

She is a Wildlife Biologist. I spent 7 years in Dubai and SW Asia, a lot of the time wearing a lot of shit. My dad spent 32 years in SF. Her grandmother is from the Valley. Everyone else is under 25. I am sure they can handle 95 degrees and some rain. Plus we got libations for after.  

And BTW, one of the best climates in the world is Guatemala City. Fucking loved it. 

Thanks @YGIFS  

And if we flood, all of you can know I did it for you. Each owes me 3.50 or a beer. 

• Drool 1

Don't get me started on the fucking outdoor weddings from June-September in central Texas.  Remember, that's my wife's gig - marrying these people.  Used to be, everyone had a lick of sense; if you got married in summer in Texas, you got married inside, because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IT'S HOT.
Now, all of these brides have seen a shitload of Instagram posts about how gorgeous outdoor summer weddings are, skipping right past the fact that every one of those posts comes from someone in New England, or SoCal, or the UP of Michigan or some shit, WHERE IT'S NOT 1,000 DEGREES FOR FOUR FUCKING MONTHS STRAIGHT.  So, she's had multiple outdoor weddings this summer, and another one coming up.  She has had people actually pass out at them.  Other guests give up after 15-20 minutes, and leave the wedding to go someplace indoor with AC.  Bride and groom standing up front, drenched in sweat.  Hell, she's had some of them ask her to perform in her vestments -- she has answered (politely) "fuck that shit, I'll be wearing a little black dress."  She is ripshit pissed at all the wedding coordinators who put up with this shit and don't tell their brides not to do it.  It's stupid, selfish, fucking dumb, and dangerous.
Imagine if a fucking bride in Fargo said "ya know, I really want to have an outdoor wedding, you betcha.  I was thinking January 15th, right next to the river in Orchard Glen Park.  Ya know, I saw some pictures of that place, with the trees all in bloom, and it looks soooooo pretty!"  The wedding coordinator would just look at her and say "Outside?  On January 15th?  No."
You wouldn't subject people to standing outside for an hour when it's -20, why in the fuck do you think it's okay to do so when it's 105?

Pics of the Rev in the LBD?

Rules.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like this idiot in the comments.

How do you not notice you have sprinklers?

I think it was like a Forest Gump situation, "And there was this kinda rain that seemed to come up from the ground at us."  

Also, all my bands brokeup over arguments regarding my naming of the group.  However, "Taintlord" should be a strong secondary password after "Muledick" for tailgate access.  Kinda like "Fedalio" and then the mystery second password in "Eyes Wide Shut"  

• Like 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

I think it was like a Forest Gump situation, "And there was this kinda rain that seemed to come up from the ground at us."  

Seriously. I'm picturing him walking outside each morning for 18 months and thinking "man... that's bizarre. The grass is wet again. Honey! You're not gonna believe this..."

I also like the dickhead landlord who runs their sprinklers all the fucking time and makes the tenant pay for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This.  And I meticulously check and adjust all the sprinkler zones each month so we don't waste water on fences, sidewalks, and windows---but those things move on their own and make noise.  There had to have been a time when one of the renters woke up at dawn and thought, "Well that certainly sounds like a large animal or homeless person pissing directly on our bathroom window, and swinging back and forth while doing it.  Best just go back to sleep honey."  

And very dick move by the Landlord not to tell them, "You're going to pay to keep my lawn attractive to market to the next tenants/buyers."  

-Well can we at least have the access code for the system so we can override it, turn it off during rains, time it for when we're outta town?

"No, not at these prices."