Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

I think most of us are over complaining about being in the cusp of end of humanity heat and draught.  Some of us adults who take care of their own flora and trees and garden are still worried sick about this means going forward.  Sure 95 is better than 105.  But nature here cannot do this 4+ months of this shit year in and year out.  

35 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Centext will be a savanna in 10 years.

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think most of us are over complaining about being in the cusp of end of humanity heat and draught.  Some of us adults who take care of their own flora and trees and garden are still worried sick about this means going forward.  Sure 95 is better than 105.  But nature here cannot do this 4+ months of this shit year in and year out.  

IMG_1725.webp.56c4886197cfaf81a430cfd1f352e4af.webp

Texas has experience in this sort of thing. 

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I'm betting you're wrong... but don't take it personally... anyone who wrote that would get the same derision.

"I think we're done with hundreds y'all!?"

yeah

I could be, but the last few other terrible summers has ended by the end of September.

On 9/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, Biff Tannen said:

In case anyone is wondering if it’s still too hot to hike, yes it is. Went out to pedernales and it was ok until about 10 and then it was an oven. Dogs can’t get in the water because of algae. God dammit. 

Were the dogs like "nope, not getting there" or did you just keep them away from the water?

On 9/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, Biff Tannen said:

In case anyone is wondering if it’s still too hot to hike, yes it is. Went out to pedernales and it was ok until about 10 and then it was an oven. Dogs can’t get in the water because of algae. God dammit. 

The other day I overheard a guy at McBride's bitching about how he's tired of people in Austin blaming climate change, fertilizing golf courses and zebra mussels (i.e. the consequences of human actions) for algae in the water when we should be blaming homeless camps, i.e. Greg Cesar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The other day I overheard a guy at McBride's bitching about how he's tired of people in Austin blaming climate change, fertilizing golf courses and zebra mussels (i.e. the consequences of human actions) for algae in the water when we should be blaming homeless camps, i.e. Greg Cesar.

I can’t even…

35 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Were the dogs like "nope, not getting there" or did you just keep them away from the water?

Oh they would’ve gone in had I let them. Not worth the risk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hope he was really old

Now this is the time of year I really wish I was in Denver or somewhere similar. Sunny, 80/50 pretty much every day for the next 2 weeks. That'd be heaven on earth. 

Shit, the CO mountain towns are already basically in Late Fall, getting to where it never makes it above 70 and drops to high 30's when the sun is down.  They'll start getting snowfall before too long.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, YGIFS said:

4 months? Are we in an ice age? I believe you mean 5-7

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Now this is the time of year I really wish I was in Denver or somewhere similar. Sunny, 80/50 pretty much every day for the next 2 weeks. That'd be heaven on earth. 

Shit, the CO mountain towns are already basically in Late Fall, getting to where it never makes it above 70 and drops to high 30's when the sun is down.  They'll start getting snowfall before too long.

I'm heading out to Utah/Wyoming/Montana for a couple of weeks  for some national park action. Its about two weeks later than I wanted, but shit came up delaying my departure. Checking the lows at night, I expect mostly high 20's/40's with highs in the 50's/60's. Should be ideal hiking weather. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Casarpocalypse 2024!  "YOU WILL BELIEVE!"  

but yeah seriously, I walked our creekbelt from Bee Caves to Walsh Tarlton near the mall this evening.  Hold on to your  buttholes.  Those brown leaves you see, sadly, are not signaling yoga pant latte season.  I mean, that'll happen also-thank god.  It means the trees are dead-they just don't know it yet.  First precip accumulation below 40 degrees and it's game over.  

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

it feels even warmer during the day if you're in the sun, and the shade is absolutely heavenly... and at night we open the windows. glorious.

only a few more weeks of this though i bet, but a cold front not in the forecast yet.

i was thinking the other day about Indian Summer and how i never got to experience that in Texas bc it's just endless summer and then fall lasts like 2 weeks and then it's Christmas.