Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Almost time. 68 in H Town when I went to the gym this morning, but lots of moisture still in the air and it has warmed up quickly as the morning progresses. Gonna be warm and muggy until the drier air finally arrives late tonight. 

Heading up to my deer lease up near Rayburn tomorrow  to do some work setting up a new stand and feeder. Gonna be in the high 40's when I wake up out there on Sunday morning. That's a temperature I haven't experienced in probably 7 months. Can't wait. 

Looks like we'll get just maybe 3-4 days of cool weather out of this first front before high 80's and humidity return around the middle of next week. On the bright side, looks like a second, longer-lasting front is expected to roll in next weekend. Lot of really nice days on the forecast for 10/14-20. 

Had windows down to/from the gym. Walking the dog now, probably best walk weather since April 

21 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

There's an autozone that I can walk to from my house.  Headed up there after I get home this afternoon.  

Does your serp belt run the timing set too or something, such that the truck couldn’t go 2 blocks?

that happened to me on both a Nissan frontier and 90s bronco, and in both cases the motor ran fine and I only lost accessories like power steering and lights got dimmer with no juice from the alternator. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does your serp belt run the timing set too or something, such that the truck couldn’t go 2 blocks?

that happened to me on both a Nissan frontier and 90s bronco, and in both cases the motor ran fine and I only lost accessories like power steering and lights got dimmer with no juice from the alternator. 

It must have been starting to break earlier on the way home as the power steering started going wonky.  Once it broke, the computer programming basically shuts down since the alternator is offline.  I made it about 2 blocks after the break (mostly downhill) but it shut down completely as I hit the bottom of the hill and started uphill.  Just annoying 'timing'.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It must have been starting to break earlier on the way home as the power steering started going wonky.  Once it broke, the computer programming basically shuts down since the alternator is offline.  I made it about 2 blocks after the break (mostly downhill) but it shut down completely as I hit the bottom of the hill and started uphill.  Just annoying 'timing'.  

Ha.  Yeah, this happened in my 99 F-150.  Ain't no "computer shutdown" function in that ancient beast.   I just drove it without power steering, carefully and slowly, to the mechanic.  That was.....interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Ha.  Yeah, this happened in my 99 F-150.  Ain't no "computer shutdown" function in that ancient beast.   I just drove it without power steering, carefully and slowly, to the mechanic.  That was.....interesting.

I drove a 05 Sierra without power steering for 3 years. I could crush coconuts with my biceps.

Now not so much.

• Haha 1

Good news, bad news:

GN: After a historic drought, we got a shitload of rain the last 3 days, and it's about to start cooling down and drying out in Houston.

BN: Hasn't happened yet. Still mid 70's and muggy. The only fringe benefit of not getting any rain for 90 days was the complete lack of mosquitos. Apparently several trillion were laid during this past rainy stretch and every last one hatched within the past 30 minutes in my backyard.  

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

you have grass? you a wizard?

Speaking of grass, which is best for sustained 100+F heat for months on end with little to no rain? I don't want Bermuda.  Zoysia? St augustine is not the answer.  I've lost it both in 2011 and 2022/2023. I'm looking to replace again. Preferably seeded with little watering required to start.  Is there such a grass? Maybe I should develop one...

On 10/7/2023 at 9:02 AM, South Austin said:

I woke up thinking my AC was broken because it wasn’t running.

No kidding, it's been weird when I'm up late or up earlier and the AC isn't running - I'm not used to that much silence.

I'm also not used to setting it to say 77 or 78 and then having it turn off and stay off because the house is actually staying at that temp.

• Hook 'Em 1

Weather all over the map this week in Houston.

Dreary days in the 70's today and tomorrow. Good chance at some rain late tonight/tomorrow morning.

Sun comes out for a warm, muggy day in the mid-80's on Thursday. 

Summer pops its head out again for maybe 12 hours on Friday, getting up to low 90's before another front rolls in overnight. 

Seemingly perfect Fall days on tap from Saturday thru next Wednesday. Sunny, around 78/58 and low humidity. 

Light freeze in the Hill Country overnight tonight.  95 degrees on Friday.  I appreciate the variance the semblance of Autumn.  But there's also zero fucking rain our near future.  Lost in all the "this is just part of a broader cycle we know nothing of..." rhetoric is that October has historically been Austin's third highest precip. month by major metrics (days with precip, inches of rainfall, etc.).  And for the last 25 years, October/November Autumnal precip. has ground to a fucking halt ( hurricanes, etc. notwithstanding).  Our flora is supposed to go into dormancy having gotten a good (non-Mormon) soaking.  That's why here on the edge of the desert with harsh rock 6" down, we still manage to have lush arbor growth, beautiful flowers, and healthy creeks.  Why spring pops so wonderfully here, because of robust rainfall in October/November.  Now, not only are we compressing the temperature mildness and going from 95 degree days in late October to freezes just one month later, we are seeing dramatic decreases in rainfall.  Seasons are out of whack all over our state.  I know we're all enjoying the cooler mornings and evenings.  But our plants & animals are not digging this non-existent, dry-ass Fall bullshit anymore.  

49 outside when I woke up this morning. That's the lowest temp that Houston has seen since mid March. Was 67 inside the house.

Looks like today will be pretty much perfect. Tomorrow and Thursday 10 degrees warmer, but still nice. Even Friday, when it's supposed to hit low 90's again, looks to be pretty low humidity and will cool down to 60's after sunset. Rest of weekend is pretty unremarkable. High 80's and overcast. Stays warm with decent rain chances next week.

All in all, pretty typical October weather for SETX. A handful of days that remind you of late summer, a handful of perfect Autumn days, and the rest are just average "warmer than you'd prefer but at least it's not in the mid-90's anymore..."

A man from Andorra here for USGP just asked me if it was really going to be 37* C for Saturday.  I tried answering him in Spanish. He mumbled something in catalunyan and is not pleased.  I knew they were a mountain people but yeah, this is gonna be some bullshit

Let's not pretend like 95 with as dry as it is and as much as the sun up is uncomfortable or anything. We just did 2 months of 105.

Is it not a good sign for the future? Yes. But hi 95 lo 60-65 with as much daylight as we have is honestly pretty pleasant. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The heat will go away after a few days. What we need is rain and it is never going to rain again. 

Halloween floods...... 

Yeah this is worse. It's so dry right now and my allergies are murdering me. 

• Hook 'Em 1