Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Re: parking, we could do more of this... you end up with covered spaces for cars and generate power at the same time...

https://e360.yale.edu/features/putting-solar-panels-atop-parking-lots-a-green-energy-solution

image.thumb.png.8d0ae76c8aba02260908dbb9f8a3dff4.png

I like parking on the roof of the blue parking garage at the Airport.  I get covered parking with an easy to find location and the combined panels generate 1.8 megawatts of power.   When I lived in Houston, I would park on the roof of Terminal E and I would come back to a car that was a furnace.

49 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Re: parking, we could do more of this... you end up with covered spaces for cars and generate power at the same time...

https://e360.yale.edu/features/putting-solar-panels-atop-parking-lots-a-green-energy-solution

image.thumb.png.8d0ae76c8aba02260908dbb9f8a3dff4.png

I like parking on the roof of the blue parking garage at the Airport.  I get covered parking with an easy to find location and the combined panels generate 1.8 megawatts of power.   When I lived in Houston, I would park on the roof of Terminal E and I would come back to a car that was a furnace.

Our froggy amis sont d'accord.

All large car parks in France will be covered by solar panels under new legislation approved as part of president Emmanuel Macron’s renewable energy drive.

Legislation approved by the French Senate this week requires existing and new car parks with space for at least 80 vehicles to be covered by solar panels.

The owners of car parks with between 80 and 400 spaces have five years to comply with the measures, while operators of those with more than 400 will have just three years. At least half of the area of the larger sites must be covered by solar panels.

The French government believes the measure could generate up to 11 gigawatts of power.

11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

95 in early May is 10 degrees above average. I wouldn't say that's fairly common.  It does not bode well for this summer.  

We had a spring a few years ago where 2 days in May were over 100, and they were the only 2 days over 100 the entire summer save 1 day in late august.   

On 4/28/2024 at 10:22 AM, Storm the Field said:

Heading out to Sebastopol, CA on Thursday for a friend's wedding weekend. Gonna be brutal:

Sonoma.jpg.517fe0c5b9367a09c991e93d78039276.jpg

Feel bad for the bride now. Thursday and Friday still look excellent, but cold front rolling in overnight Friday. Rainy and in the 50's on Saturday during the wedding. Literally only day on the extended forecast that isn't sunny and cool.

11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Feel bad for the bride now. Thursday and Friday still look excellent, but cold front rolling in overnight Friday. Rainy and in the 50's on Saturday during the wedding. Literally only day on the extended forecast that isn't sunny and cool.

IMG_1652.gif

May-Jun I’m always like “it’s fine, let’s go swimming”.  By July 4th I’m like “fuck this” and by Aug-Sep I’m openly hostile to every person I encounter 24/7, spending my free time on zillow shopping prices on the west coast.  Then that first front hits in October and I’m like ok f it let’s do another year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

95 in early May is 10 degrees above average. I wouldn't say that's fairly common.  It does not bode well for this summer.  

I think it’s a more common than you’d imagine.  

Not certain when the average 95° day occurs, but I know historically at least, the average first 90° day in Austin is late March/early April.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

7 hours ago, texasdago said:

It sounds counterintuitive but I never had to think about where I parked because there was always space right by the elevator.  I was on "automatic" when I landed... straight to the top floor and my car was right there.

I "get it", but parking at "C brown" is really easy.  I always find a spot on the 3rd floor which is really easy for departing and arriving.

10 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I think it’s a more common than you’d imagine.  

Not certain when the average 95° day occurs, but I know historically at least, the average first 90° day in Austin is late March/early April.  

So I actually pulled some data on this. Using Camp Mabry daily max temp records back to the 1930s, a high of 95 in early May is right at the 95th percentile.  So yes, I'd say it's pretty rare and not common.   

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

So I actually pulled some data on this. Using Camp Mabry daily max temp records back to the 1930s, a high of 95 in early May is right at the 95th percentile.  So yes, I'd say it's pretty rare and not common.   

Historical high temperature talk not going away.  Pretty rare going back 100 years, absolutely.  Pretty rare in these modern end-of-Earth Central Texas times?  Not really.  I went back just a few years and found the following:

2023:  94 degrees April 15th (First 95 or above June 14th)

2022:  First 95 degree day occurred on April 4 (96*).  Interestingly, everyday from May4th to May 21st that year was between 92-101*

2021:  94 degrees on May 4 (95* June 9th)

2020:  95 degrees on April 8

2019:  95 degrees on June 7th (multiple 93s and 93s in April and May)

2018:  97 degrees on May 15th

2017:  95 degrees on April 28th

2016:  95 degrees on June 16th (best Austin summer since 2007)

18 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Historical high temperature talk not going away.  Pretty rare going back 100 years, absolutely.  Pretty rare in these modern end-of-Earth Central Texas times?  Not really.  I went back just a few years and found the following:

2023:  94 degrees April 15th (First 95 or above June 14th)

2022:  First 95 degree day occurred on April 4 (96*).  Interestingly, everyday from May4th to May 21st that year was between 92-101*

2021:  94 degrees on May 4 (95* June 9th)

2020:  95 degrees on April 8

2019:  95 degrees on June 7th (multiple 93s and 93s in April and May)

2018:  97 degrees on May 15th

2017:  95 degrees on April 28th

2016:  95 degrees on June 16th (best Austin summer since 2007)

Negged.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

2023 first day above 95 degrees not being til June 15 is amazing to think about. Felt like the worst Summer I can remember. Probably because the sun was shining through a magnifying glass right on centex for the next 3 months.

Hell, I was pretty sure we hit mid 90's in March last year.