Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

49 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I think we can officially retire this fucker

Uh, no. Maybe for folks in the Panhandle or Far West Texas, but the DFW, Austin/SA and Houston surly contingent still have plenty of unpleasant days ahead. 

Still seeing plenty of highs in the mid-90's forecast through the end of the month and we haven't even sniffed a legit cool front yet ( i.e. 2-3 days in a row with lows of 65 or less). We're basically just now catching up to where temps should be in late August.

2022 and 2021 threads both lasted until early November. We're probably done seeing any triple digit scorchers, but, based on recent precedent we've got at least a half dozen stints ahead where it's 8-12 degrees above average for several days. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Uh, no. Maybe for folks in the Panhandle or Far West Texas, but the DFW, Austin/SA and Houston surly contingent still have plenty of unpleasant days ahead. 

Still seeing plenty of highs in the mid-90's forecast through the end of the month and we haven't even sniffed a legit cool front yet ( i.e. 2-3 days in a row with lows of 65 or less). We're basically just now catching up to where temps should be in late August.

2022 and 2021 threads both lasted until early November. We're probably done with 100+ degree scorchers, but, based on recent precedent we've got at least a half dozen stints ahead where it's 8-12 degrees above average for several days. 

Yep. Proclaiming it to be over means enjoy the 98F TX-OU game next months 

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Is it safe to go into the back yard and rub one out to these temps? That is legal right? Or does it have to get into the 70s with low humidity first?

Asking for a friend.

Back yard?  Sure.

Gotta wait till we hit the pleasantly brisk 60s before it's okay to do in the front yard, though.

• Haha 1

Between 95-100 for the next 5 days without a drop of rain, and barely a cloud in sight.  I'm glad y'all can enjoy a pumpkin spiced tampon and wear your company Patagonia vest on your way from your seat warmer Tahoe to the club locker room.  But I got a dozen trees looking like they have malaria.  And I'm trying to find ways to give both A/C units a break during the school day.  This shit ain't over for several more weeks.  We're where we should be if it was the 18th.  (Checks Calendar, we are on the 18th).  Of fucking August.  

It's a ways out but aggregate of three best long-term models show Kansas kickoff on 30 September to be 93 degrees.  And peaking at halftime before settling back to a balmy 88 by end of game.  so yeah, gotta go take my soaker hose off South Austin's mom and put it on my monterrey oaks instead. /nojudgement

• Rage+1 1

Despite the pleasant weather the last few mornings, it seems almost a lock that this will be one of the years where we have to wait until well into October to get our first "fall cold front" (i.e. sustained temps at or below 85/65 for a couple days) in Houston. Over the last 125 years, 9/17 has been the average day of arrival, with 10/13 being the latest. Last year it showed up on 9/27.

GFS models seem to think there might be a mass of cool air moving down towards Texas around 10/5, but that's way too far out to have any kind of confidence. Until then, gonna continue to feel like Late Summer through the first few days of October.

9 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Despite the pleasant weather the last few mornings, it seems almost a lock that this will be one of the years where we have to wait until well into October to get our first "fall cold front" (i.e. sustained temps at or below 85/65 for a couple days) in Houston. Over the last 125 years, 9/17 has been the average day of arrival, with 10/13 being the latest. Last year it showed up on 9/27.

GFS models seem to think there might be a mass of cool air moving down towards Texas around 10/5, but that's way too far out to have any kind of confidence. Until then, gonna continue to feel like Late Summer through the first few days of October.

We hit 65 yesterday morning in our neck of Austin but I wouldn't call it a cold front... and I know Houston follows those "guidelines" (Space City Weather yo) but I'm hoping we get something sooner than that but not one single person is signaling anything before 10/5 that I know of.  I remember going out to dinner in September 2020 in Austin and wearing a jacket to dinner.  That was a miracle straight out of the book of Matthew.  

Look at this... ( https://world-weather.info/forecast/usa/austin_1/september-2020/ )

image.thumb.png.014ca74dfd0e428324b3347cc3152e23.png

Hot and muggy AF again. No lows below 77 through Sunday. Forecast for First Day of "Autumn" on Saturday is 96/78 and humid as shit. Average temps on Sept 23rd are 88/68, so about 9 degrees warmer than it should be.

"Less bad" weather next week, but still no sign of any cold fronts making it down through the first week of October. In fact, currently not a single number starting with a 6 anywhere on the 15-day forecast. Anything after 10/13 would be a new record for latest first cold front. Still a long ways to go, but setting a new record becomes easier to imagine with each passing day.