2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

One of the things I have heard is that Pierce is a raging dick to play for/work with. That shit may work if you are winning and people can go "It is worth dealing with asshole HC because I am getting better/team is winning etc". Once you start losing the wheels quickly come off. Love reading he had a post game meeting last night. The Tuesday night loss to fucking Corpus Christi wasn't cause for alarm? Getting beat by BYU just passed him by but the TX State loss was the bridge too far for Pierce?? WTF?
CDC can't fall for the sunk cost fallacy with DP. DP is not the coach to head into the SEC with. Fire his ass and bring in someone that can energize the team and fan base. If you think this season has been shitty, ride this clown car into the SEC next year and just watch Texas fall to all time lows in terms of series wins/execution.
Fire this shitty HC, It has been 8 years and team is regressing and getting worse as season progresses. Compare to Softball which is ascending, women's BBall same. It is a coaching problem.
So we got Tom Herman as a baseball coach.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have been on teams like that. Once you start losing, it becomes contagious, you start finding ways to lose and choking in the big moments. Really easy to lose the locker room after that unless you are an amazing coach. There are always a couple of guys who give 1000% but the majority of the team just quits and starts looking forward to next season. 

iScr3q.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:
One of the things I have heard is that Pierce is a raging dick to play for/work with. That shit may work if you are winning and people can go "It is worth dealing with asshole HC because I am getting better/team is winning etc". Once you start losing the wheels quickly come off. Love reading he had a post game meeting last night. The Tuesday night loss to fucking Corpus Christi wasn't cause for alarm? Getting beat by BYU just passed him by but the TX State loss was the bridge too far for Pierce?? WTF?
CDC can't fall for the sunk cost fallacy with DP. DP is not the coach to head into the SEC with. Fire his ass and bring in someone that can energize the team and fan base. If you think this season has been shitty, ride this clown car into the SEC next year and just watch Texas fall to all time lows in terms of series wins/execution.
Fire this shitty HC, It has been 8 years and team is regressing and getting worse as season progresses. Compare to Softball which is ascending, women's BBall same. It is a coaching problem.

image.gif.f01ab84bb40de396f102d742a408c7bb.gif

This is an easy decision. Recruiting has been a disaster. The only reason our bats seem like good pickups is because we see it juxtaposed against the absolutely terrible talent on the mound.

We're Texas. Our recruiting should never be based on a foundation of projects and "might be". That's fucking Tulane thinking. 

It's time to get someone back in here who is relentlessly pursuing greatness.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This is an easy decision. Recruiting has been a disaster. The only reason our bats seem like good pickups is because we see it juxtaposed against the absolutely terrible talent on the mound.

This is what I have seen this season. The pitching staffs’ of several of the teams we have played this year are as good or better than what we are trotting out on the field. Of course, how much of that is a result of our “pitching coach”?

That’s not the expectation or the norm at Texas.

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Fun fax

cdc did not hire Connie clark

cdc did not hire Shaka 

cdc did not hire Herman 

CDC did not hire Karen Aston either

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

iScr3q.gif

Hadn't seen The Natural since I was a kid. I watched it a few night ago with my 10 YO who loves baseball. He pushed to watch Alien again but I thought he'd like The Natural and, sure enough, he did and it was a fun watch for me too. I have a buddy who read the book awhile back and said that Roy Hobbs actually strikes out in that last at bat. That's fucking nuts, if true.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hadn't seen The Natural since I was a kid. I watched it a few night ago with my 10 YO who loves baseball. He pushed to watch Alien again but I thought he'd like The Natural and, sure enough, he did and it was a fun watch for me too. I have a buddy who read the book awhile back and said that Roy Hobbs actually strikes out in that last at bat. That's fucking nuts, if true.

It’s the worst book I’ve ever read. He doesn’t just strike out, he takes the bribe to lose. 
He’s also not particularly likeable in the book overall. 

18 games left:

Home (12):

3 v. TCU (RPI 32)

3 v. OSU (RPI 23)

3 v. KU (RPI 93)

Non-con v. Sam (62), UTA (133) & UTRGV (250)

Away (6)

@ OU (RPI 19)

@ UCF (RPI 14!)

We have 7 Q4 losses. I had to go down to RPI 174 Seton Hall to find a team with more than that. Ouch.

Edited by zlavydra

13 minutes ago, petscii said:

So I have a shitty question,  do we think Tanner Witt came back because he probably could not pass a MLB physical for draft purposes?

No idea on that, but supposedly he received a ton of NIL money to return. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Witt still had a higher stock than LBJ last year despite the injury based on my understanding. Most teams saw LBJ as a reliever and his underlying metrics (extension, spin rate, ride on his fastball, etc) were not great. Witt had great underlying metrics on his stuff pre injury. Witt could have probably gone somewhere in rounds 3-5 if he dropped his price. LBJ was probably more 5th-8th round but once it got to that point I think he was set on returning and trying to prove he could be a starter and move up.

Both are obviously going to have to take haircuts this year assuming they sign. The good news for LBJ is he still has leverage as a redshirt junior so he should still get a 6 figure bonus but he’ll be in a minor league bullpen. I’m not even going to pretend to know what is going to happen to Witt. Such an odd situation with him.

Edited by Hookem2147

18 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Witt came back because he knew his draft stock was lower than he wanted for obvious reasons, he figured he could show some good shit this year to get that stock back up, and he loves Texas. Pretty obvious IMO

Is he broken beyond repair? It’d be really nice if a new coach could come in and make Witt and Harrison at least serviceable again. 

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Is he broken beyond repair? It’d be really nice if a new coach could come in and make Witt and Harrison at least serviceable again. 

I think he's done here. Unfortunately I think he fucked up his draft stock by a ton by trying to make a comeback, but I love that he tried. At this point he needs to take his time getting back into form so he can eventually try to do something in the minors. If he ever gets back to his old stuff he can still make the bigs. I don't wanna see him ruin that by trying to do this shit all over again. I hope he realizes that he's still got a ton of time to get it back - a lot of guys his age think their time is running out, but it's really not. I hope he has some smart people telling him what to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is it really physical at this point?  How long ago was the TJ surgery?

Well, he was set to pitch against ucla before he got scratched from the start in the whatever tournament it was that year. That was March 2022. So yeah it shouldn’t be anything physical unless he’s just having trouble finding his old mechanics. 

Edited by Fletch

RPI Needs report updates at 8:30am each day. Before the win yesterday, here was the roadmap.

Texas

Remaining: 12 home, 7 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 67
ROWP: 0.576

Top 45:

7 home wins, 7 road wins
8 home wins, 6 road wins
9 home wins, 5 road wins
10 home wins, 4 road wins
11 home wins, 3 road wins
12 home wins, 1 road wins

Top 32:

9 home wins, 7 road wins
10 home wins, 6 road wins
11 home wins, 5 road wins
12 home wins, 4 road wins

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Well, he was set to pitch against ucla before he got scratched from the start in the whatever tournament it was that year. That was March 2022. So yeah it shouldn’t be anything physical unless he’s just having trouble finding his old mechanics. 

You hear a lot about guys who had TJ coming back with as much or more velo as before.  Well, for us you would never know it.   I believe we have four guys who had it (Duplantier, Harrison, Witt, Shaw) and not a single one has come back with the same velo.  Velo isn't everything but for those four guys it was a big part of their effectiveness.  Only Duplantier has figured out how to get people out consistently with different stuff and that has taken him over a year.  If Witt wants a career in baseball he's going to have to learn how to pitch a different way than he did before.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

RPI Needs report updates at 8:30am each day. Before the win yesterday, here was the roadmap.

Texas

Remaining: 12 home, 7 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 67
ROWP: 0.576

Top 45:

7 home wins, 7 road wins
8 home wins, 6 road wins
9 home wins, 5 road wins

Top 32:

9 home wins, 7 road wins

….yea….and aggy is #1….put that monkey on their back.

3 hours ago, Balcones said:

Top 45:

7 home wins, 7 road wins
8 home wins, 6 road wins
9 home wins, 5 road wins

Top 32:

9 home wins, 7 road wins

That's not very encouraging.  We got road win #1 yesterday, and have 6 road games left.  Say we split, which is probably do-able but certainly not set in stone.  That puts us at 4 road wins for this analysis.  For Top 45, we'd need to take 10 of 12 games at home.  For Top 32, we'd have to take every home game.

Of course, their analysis could be screwed up, too.

Edited by jimmyjazz

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's not very encouraging.  We got road win #1 yesterday, and have 6 road games left.  Say we split, which is probably do-able but certainly not set in stone.  That puts us at 4 road wins for this analysis.  For Top 45, we'd need to take 10 of 12 games at home.  For Top 32, we'd have to take every home game.

Of course, their analysis could be screwed up, too.

Which is unfortunately what happens when you've already lost 7 Q4 games. Unbelievable....

Posted (edited)

Our 7-3 road record is good, especially considering that 4 of the 7 are against teams currently in the top 40 of RPI (Tech and KSU). We actually have more road wins than 12 of the top 20 RPI teams, including teams like FSU, A&M, Vandy and OU.

It's the home losses that are weighing down the boat. We win 1 of any of the 7 Q4 games we lost, we are right around 50 in RPI right now and are not sweating as hard. The A&M Corpus loss in particular might be the difference in playing postseason baseball or not. 224 in RPI, 5-7 in the Southland and just lost a series to Houston Christian, who we hung 20 runs on.

Edited by Hookem2147

13 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

No idea on that, but supposedly he received a ton of NIL money to return. 

It depends on what you'd classify as "a ton" but it was nothing close to the expectation had he entered the draft. At the time, I'm not talking about it now that we've seen he wasn't able to come back, we thought his decision to come back was a mistake but the guy wanted to be at Texas working his way back.

On 4/11/2024 at 3:15 PM, Mother mopar said:
On 4/11/2024 at 1:17 PM, BrazilHorn said:

At this point I think we'd be better off with the actual Tom Herman as our baseball coach.

• Haha 1