Texas Longhorns - 2024 Schedule with a few SEC dates

Pancho

Fucking-A, that is a salty road schedule even with the bullshit consideration of OU as a 'home' game.  v. Oklahoma, @ Ohio State, @ Florida, @ Georgia, @ Miss State.  The home rivalry games with Arkansas and A&M will be a fun callback and should make up for Vanderbilt, San Jose State, and UTEP making for an overall 'bleh' home slate.  

I'm guessing they'll announce the basketball rotation later next month?  I mean, the whole schedule doesn't usually come out until July or August, but I would assume at least the rotational basis could be figured out and announced before school's out?  

Our current OOC for 2025 is OSU, SJSU, and UTEP. Then we've got our 8 conference games. So we need another cupcake. 

I'd prefer to play an interesting team, because an OOC home slate of UTEP and SJSU kinda blows. Maybe Oregon State or Wazzu? They're definitely going to need help filling out their schedules. 

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Our current OOC for 2025 is OSU, SJSU, and UTEP. Then we've got our 8 conference games. So we need another cupcake. 

I'd prefer to play an interesting team, because an OOC home slate of UTEP and SJSU kinda blows. Maybe Oregon State or Wazzu? They're definitely going to need help filling out their schedules. 

My first call would be to either. We can't return the trip to either until 2027 at the earliest. That's a hell of a lot better than a directional Louisiana or former FCS Texas program. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Fuck that

Let me guess. You’re stupid and think they’re FCS, right?

anyone thinking we’re going to schedule tough OOC moving forward that isn’t already scheduled is brain dead. We’re going to have potentially 1-4 games at the end of the season in the new playoff vs those kinds of teams. OOC going to be like preseason football. Where you get young guys and depth experience for the longer post season 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

My first call would be to either. We can't return the trip to either until 2027 at the earliest. That's a hell of a lot better than a directional Louisiana or former FCS Texas program. 

The 4th game as long as there are 8 conference sec games should ALWAYS be a home game. No home/aways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, it's going to be a buyout game.  Hopefully not FCS, but a mid to low tier FBS team.  Because, and check  my maths, we only have 5 home games on the slate then for 2025 (2 non-conf. and 3 SEC).  We're not leaving money on the table by doing a home/home and can't risk it being a morning game on TV with little concession revenue.  It's gotta be something worthy of an afternoon or evening kickoff with no return date.  

I know we insist on playing OU every year (as do the Sooners). Arkansas will insist on playing us every year. The only way an eight game schedule works is if we schedule OU as a non-conference game, when the schedule requires it. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The 4th game as long as there are 8 conference sec games should ALWAYS be a home game. No home/aways. 

2027 only has 2 OOC games so far: Michgan and UTEP which are both at home. 

Just now, statsman said:

I know we insist on playing OU every year (as do the Sooners). Arkansas will insist on playing us every year. The only way an eight game schedule works is if we schedule OU as a non-conference game, when the schedule requires it. 

Arkansas can insist on whatever it wants. We don't "insist" on playing OU every year, we are playing OU every year as they are our biggest rival. It will always be our protected rivalry. But given we don't know what 2026 will hold, we could go to 9 games with 3 protected games (OU, aggy, Arkansas) or a rotation with 1 protected rivalry. 

Well check out the big brain on BurntOrange&White ;)  

It's a little low on the FBS pecking order, but still checks some boxes.  But our fancy SEZ & new NEZ scoreboard/seating configuration aren't gonna pay for themselves.  2025's San Jose State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, and Vanderbilt...that's 2/3 of our schedule that's not gonna get favorable TV coverage and likely kick-off in the morning on ESPNU or some shit like that and kill concession/catering revenue and TV eyeballs.  Ah well, gonna be some growing pains in the new format.  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's a little low on the FBS pecking order, but still checks some boxes.  But our fancy SEZ & new NEZ scoreboard/seating configuration aren't gonna pay for themselves.  2025's San Jose State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, and Vanderbilt...that's 2/3 of our schedule that's not gonna get favorable TV coverage and likely kick-off in the morning on ESPNU or some shit like that and kill concession/catering revenue and TV eyeballs.  Ah well, gonna be some growing pains in the new format.  

I think with the LHN folding into the SEC Network, that opens up a lot more options for game times. So I don't think all our OOC games will be morning kicks. I believe the SEC Network has multiple channels. SEC Network, SEC Network 2. Our games with Rice always seem to be on ESPN2. 

Part of the announcement today was the SEC Network was pushing start times back 45 minutes. ESPN/ABC have more leeway now to exchange games.

The conference schedule model isn’t changing, but the start times will be as soon as 2024. 

Desiring an all-day SEC football feel, SEC Network game start times can now be pushed back 45 minutes to lead to more staggered finishes, i.e. moving from 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. CT. kickoff time. A typical SEC Network slate would now look like 11:45 a.m. CT, 3:15 p.m. CT and 6:45 p.m. CT while ABC and ESPN games would keep their typical start times. The SEC and ESPN will have the ability to flex ABC and ESPN afternoon and night games a limited amount of times per school. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

Ah, didn't see that.  That's some good news, I suppose.  I guess with now there being a majority CT v. ET number of teams in the league, makes sense.  Of course will probably lead to more and more 6-day windows which make planning on family trips to games 'n shit harder, but again---growing pains in the new league and all that.  Plus we can have fun challenging some Alabama/Auburn fans to a contest of who can read an analog clock and then subtract one hour from it to see kick-off times in Austin.  I know football, and to a large extent basketball, will be televised just as well-if not better-than we're used to.  My worry is getting to see more SEC baseball in 2025.  There's a bunch of good product there and only a few platforms on which to see it.  To be continued...

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Ah, didn't see that.  That's some good news, I suppose.  I guess with now there being a majority CT v. ET number of teams in the league, makes sense.  Of course will probably lead to more and more 6-day windows which make planning on family trips to games 'n shit harder, but again---growing pains in the new league and all that.  Plus we can have fun challenging some Alabama/Auburn fans to a contest of who can read an analog clock and then subtract one hour from it to see kick-off times in Austin.  I know football, and to a large extent basketball, will be televised just as well-if not better-than we're used to.  My worry is getting to see more SEC baseball in 2025.  There's a bunch of good product there and only a few platforms on which to see it.  To be continued...

I think there will be less 6 day windows because it's 1 network entity controlling the schedule. No more Fox vs ABC/ESPN for who gets first choice/2nd choice. It will basically be is the SEC matchup better or the ACC matchup better. That's going to be pretty easy going forward.  

For baseball, get an ESPN+ subscription because most of the non-football and basketball content is going there. Non-conference basketball will go there as well if the opponent is meh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

OOC conference games should always include a “premium” matchup of the Big Boys for a week, then the rest should be Texas’ “umbrella” schools (UT Family) and maybe sprinkle Rice in here or there IMO.

Hook’em!!!

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Let me guess. You’re stupid and think they’re FCS, right?

anyone thinking we’re going to schedule tough OOC moving forward that isn’t already scheduled is brain dead. We’re going to have potentially 1-4 games at the end of the season in the new playoff vs those kinds of teams. OOC going to be like preseason football. Where you get young guys and depth experience for the longer post season 

So basically the thing we've been mocking the sec for

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2023 at 8:02 PM, gatormarc said:

Maybe. Florida's 2024 schedule will feature:

UCF
Miami
LSU
A&M
Ole Miss
Kentucky
vs Georgia
@ FSU
@ Texas
@ Tennessee
@ Miss St.

looks like we’ll get a new coach, whether we want one or not

Well it looks like 2024 will be the honeymoon year, and we’ll have to take our medicine in 2025.

A 3 game SEC schedule at DKR was my nightmare scenario, and it will come to pass.

Sigh, I think it’ll take a good SEC team, not aggy, to get snubbed by the CFP to get a 9 game schedule.  

15 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

Some of you guys must be to old or to young…surly posters want to play the fucking Super Bowl champs every week and shit. Oh yeah y’all are all rich tho and bang 10’s 

I don’t know if all of that is correct, but I can say that most of us have at least shown the basic ability to determine the right moments in which we should use to/too/two. Maybe work to get there first, then talk some shit? Might work out better for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know if all of that is correct, but I can say that most of us have at least shown the basic ability to determine the right moments in which we should use to/too/two. Maybe work to get there first, then talk some shit? Might work out better for you. 

This is fucking awesome. Well done, sir.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952a2z5v6pssm0za3tucot

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well it looks like 2024 will be the honeymoon year, and we’ll have to take our medicine in 2025.

A 3 game SEC schedule at DKR was my nightmare scenario, and it will come to pass.

Sigh, I think it’ll take a good SEC team, not aggy, to get snubbed by the CFP to get a 9 game schedule.  

Why? We're playing the exact same teams in 2025 as 2024, and Texas has a relatively easy SEC schedule this year.

Sure, we'll play @ UGA and Florida, but Florida will be in year 1 of a new HC coming off a losing record. Otherwise, it's @Kentucky and @MSU. Arkansas and A&M will be rivalry games at home, so that's a plus - especially for breaking in Arch to those games.

Texas misses Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Missouri, and Auburn - teams that are good/you must get up for. 

I just don't see what you're intimidated about here...

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Why? We're playing the exact same teams in 2025 as 2024, and Texas has a relatively easy SEC schedule this year.

Sure, we'll play @ UGA and Florida, but Florida will be in year 1 of a new HC coming off a losing record. Otherwise, it's @Kentucky and @MSU. Arkansas and A&M will be rivalry games at home, so that's a plus - especially for breaking in Arch to those games.

Texas misses Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Missouri, and Auburn - teams that are good/you must get up for. 

I just don't see what you're intimidated about here...

Not intimidated. The home schedule just sucks. Flipping home games with Ohio State was unwise. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not intimidated. The home schedule just sucks. Flipping home games with Ohio State was unwise

It helped get our buyout down to nothing since it made Fox whole. 

Never mind that was the Michigan game being swapped. But having Texas on Fox for two straight years in these big OOC matchups helped get us out of the Big 12 faster. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4

The '25 home schedule sucks, but it should get better from there.  My money is on the 6-3-3 setup starting in '26.  If so, that first year the home schedule will have:

Texas State

UTSA

Ohio State

aggy or Arkansas

And I would guess we get at least one of Auburn/Tennessee/Ole Miss/LSU/Mizzou. Maybe two.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not intimidated. The home schedule just sucks. Flipping home games with Ohio State was unwise. 

We'd probably still be in the Big 12 if we didn't agree to switch the Michigan and tOSU home and homes.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t know if I’m two old or not, but I think we should play at least to quality OOC opponents every year so the team is ready too compete for the conference championship

tu   tow

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You act like this is different than every other SEC team. They have the same schedule configuration and half the teams play Vandy. We are the draw, not the other way around. We got pissed because Fox perpetually put us in their national timeslot at 11AM for over half of our games every season and we were playing Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor. Are you the chair of the concessions committee?

• Haha 1

Yes, I am assistant to the regional concession manager.  I'm in charge of ice.   Yeah, I get it.  It's just that we have a lot of shiny new toys to pay before (admittedly, so do many SEC teams).  I know eventually it's how most SEC teams schedule/get televised.  Was just talking scheduling while scheduling is fresh on the mind.  You're right, if we can survive hosting Kansas and the like, we can profit off this new arrangement no matter the opponent.  

ClubCorp/InviteClubs does most of the heavy lifting in DKR for suites, premium seating areas, catering for both teams, even of some of the new cocktail areas.  It was merely a concern they raised, just shooting the shit.  

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Lmao- I must be too dumb to know I was even talking shit. More like a funny observation about this board and ppl bitchin about schedules. 

I think OU fans are going to have a hard time dealing with the SEC schedules because they're so used to being really good in the Big 12. We've had the built in period of mediocrity to get us possibly used to it but now things are heading up for us. OU never had that in the Big 12 except for 2022. But if that guy wants to complain about OU having Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, and Mizzou all in Norman in 2025 and only 2 hard road games then he's going to be really disappointed long term in this move. Florida and Tennessee always seem to be 1A/1B in terms of their level of play with Tennessee having the current edge. Sometimes they're both really good, sometimes they both suck. If he wants to trade a trip to 2nd year DeBoer's Alabama for Kirby's fully restocked Georgia, he's welcome to that. The home schedule is soft because the SEC gave Arkansas and aggy what they wanted in 2024, the first home game in the return of the rivalries. 

On 3/21/2024 at 10:06 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t know if I’m two old or not, but I think we should play at least to quality OOC opponents every year so the team is ready too compete for the conference championship

200.gif