H-Town Burgers

Fudge Nuggets

We got threads on the usuals, but I scrolled the first page and didn't see a dedicated burger thread like they have over on the Austin board.  My bad if this has already been covered.

I'll start it off with my favs near my downtown office...

1.  Stanton's City Eats.  Best in the city I've ever had

2.  Lankford's, for me tied with #3 Champ Burger, but a buddy of mine broke the tie and gave a slight edge to them over Champ Burger.  Can't go wrong with either.

3.  Champ Burger

4.  I might get roasted for this one, but I like Wimpy's because it's only a 5 minute walk from the office and Señor Wimpy has some of the best onion rings you will ever eat.

My limited experiences outside of DT,

Beltway 8 / Westpark Tollway area... Texas Hamburger Palace

For us in North aggy... aka The Woodlands @Hate,

Honey Bee Ham in the Cochrans Crossing shopping center is absolutely top notch.  Voted best burger in Montgomery County for a few years in a row and it's legit.  If you order a double burger, better eat it there because if you take it more than 5 minutes away the juice will soak through the bun.

• Hook 'Em 1

Slithered into the new Lankford’s on Bissonnet for Friday lunch.  

Appearance-wise it is galaxies away from the original.  Burger-wise it was good but didn’t seem the same.  It was a quality cheeseburger but lacked something unquantifiable.   

The now defunct Bellaire Broiler Burger, a mere sand wedge away, was superior in all aspects.  

Always liked Southwells when we lived over in Spring Branch. Off the beaten path a little, Itty Bitty Burger Barn makes a damn good burger in NW Oak Forest. I realize how rarely I eat burgers that I don’t cook myself, because I’ve still never been to Stanton’s or Lankford after being here for 7 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I went to a trill burger pop up, would eat again ….

Trill Burger just opened a brick and mortar at the old James Coney Island location. Lines are ridiculous so I'm waiting a month or so to check it out.

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Alison Cook gave trill burger the thumbs up 

Spilling forth from the grill-toasted Martin’s potato bun, my first glimpse of the Trill Burger’s extravagantly lacy, burnished edges was extremely promising. I discovered if I tipped the burger upward, I could actually see through the smashed edges in places. It smelled inviting, and the wrinkly square of melted cheese crawling down the topmost patty practically screamed “bite me!” 

So I bit, and bit again, and in no time had scarfed my way steadily through a burger that I definitely liked a lot. First, for its lively play of crispy frizzle against crispy frizzle. Second, for its clear beefy flavor, thanks to the sourcing from regional ranch player 44 Farms. Third, for the delightfully sweet savor of the grilled onions — more wilted than caramelized, but perhaps that is to be expected when you have been besieged by customers since Hour One. 

While I really enjoyed my OG Trillburger, it did not provide me with that eyes-rolling-back-of-my-head moment I experienced sampling Abbas Dhanani’s similar double-double smashburger at Burger Bodega. And for a woman who is not fond of soda, a Dr Pepper is a poor substitute for Burger Bodega's splendid milk shakes made with Houston-friendly flavors from Craft Creamery.

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1045. Ordered at 1105ish. Had my meal by 1115. Back in the car before 1130

That's what I need to do. I live close by so I drive by quite a bit, but never that early. Everytime I go by, even at a random time like 3 in the afternoon, there's a super long line and the parking lot looks like a nightmare.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

That's what I need to do. I live close by so I drive by quite a bit, but never that early. Everytime I go by, even at a random time like 3 in the afternoon, there's a super long line and the parking lot looks like a nightmare.

parking sucks 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Correct assessment. And when that was, they had the best burger in town.

Cross posting from the Oak Forest thread. Mytiburger is struggling:

Is it "as good as  it used to be" or have the latest (11 years in not so new) owners changed things?

On 8/17/2023 at 7:57 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Mytiburger is struggling:

On 8/17/2023 at 12:31 PM, deadshank said:

Is it "as good as  it used to be" or have the latest (11 years in not so new) owners changed things?

I have been there a handful of times in recent years, including once in the past year or so.  Mytiburger remains a solid old school hamburger joint.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/19/2023 at 9:25 AM, Tonesky said:

I have been there a handful of times in recent years, including once in the past year or so.  Mytiburger remains a solid old school hamburger joint.

They need to up their social media game. Loooot of good burger places around town.

I agree, it’s still a great burger 

On 8/19/2023 at 9:25 AM, Tonesky said:

Myti reminds me of old school Whataburger goodness. Well seasoned grill. Even their Buffalo burgers taste like good Whataburgers I’ve eaten. 

Trill Burger slams. Very quick line even after 11 am today. Parking was pretty easy, but you must enter the lot on the South Shepherd. 

The line moves so fast because the menu is so simple. Choices include: a double or triple with sautéed onions, pickles, cheese, and sauce. Fries are the only side. They don’t serve beer or wine. 

The patties are pretty similar to Freddy’s. Good bun. Sauce is kind of unique. I’d say it’s a cross between remoulade and whipped McDonald’s Big Mac sauce. Whatever it is, it works. I crushed a Triple OG in under 5 minutes. 

30 minutes in and out at 11:10am on a Thursday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 1:55 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Champ Burger, 2nd ward. Call in your order 

IMG_6545.thumb.jpeg.f201813b357a2e024d9a4b3e62a8ef0f.jpeg

im going to start ordering the kid burger or something. I finished half. Always good 

IMG_6547.gif.1ffbc83949bc67e7aeba050a84451774.gif

My son and his family live relatively close, but he wasn’t aware of Champ Burger. I took him there for lunch today and it slammed.

Thanks for the rec.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

One of my fave coffee shops has a burger, who knew. Looks damn good and Alison cook from the chron just blew it up today. I’ll have to try it soon. Place has great coffee and pastries too 

EaDough on Polk St 

IMG_6901.jpeg

That doesn't look appetizing at all. It looks like something my dog barged up and put a pickle and bun on top of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 3:32 AM, Enchubben said:

The burger at Paradigm Brewery up in Tomball was fantastic if you’re ever up that way. Tons of outdoor space for the kids too. 

Haven’t had the burger there but will have to try.  Their food is really good overall.

• 2 months later...