Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, Felix said:

Yeah I know Surly thinks if you aren't great as freshman you'll never be any good, but that was a big loss.  That guy is going to be a star IMO.

Choosing to rely on a straw man makes your argument appear weak. People have unrealistic expectations for 5 stars, sure, but that’s not limited to Surly. Go back and you’ll find some disappointment along with acknowledgment of the flashes and recognition that Arterio was competing with a stacked, experienced backcourt. 

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

I made no argument.  I simply stated an opinion, and a throwaway line poking fun at some of our overly negative reactions, as you pointed out.  It sounds like you may have taken it personally but it was intended as self deprecating humor as I too am "Surly". 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was nice knowing you, Poke fans.

I will never, ever, understand how this was possible, and that nobody gave enough of a shit to change anything. Just another reason my interest in college sports, my alma mater included, wanes more and more each season.

In ruling on FBI-related infractions cases involving Arizona, LSU, Louisville and North Carolina State, the IARP set a precedent of not applying sanctions that banned any of those programs from postseason play. The only school that was caught up in the federal investigation and received a postseason ban was Oklahoma State in 2021, for seemingly lesser violations that some of the other schools had committed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I will never, ever, understand how this was possible, and that nobody gave enough of a shit to change anything. Just another reason my interest in college sports, my alma mater included, wanes more and more each season.

In ruling on FBI-related infractions cases involving Arizona, LSU, Louisville and North Carolina State, the IARP set a precedent of not applying sanctions that banned any of those programs from postseason play. The only school that was caught up in the federal investigation and received a postseason ban was Oklahoma State in 2021, for seemingly lesser violations that some of the other schools had committed.

It’s some of the biggest bullshit I’ve ever seen

lulz...

In a decision announced Wednesday, the NCAA’s Independent Accountability Review Process (IARP) led to a downgrade in the severity of the five Level I allegations against the program, ultimately judging this a Level II case. The Independent Resolution Panel gave Kansas a three-year probation, with no effect on the program’s postseason status. Head coach Bill Self, who was initially charged with a Level I violation and was suspended for four games last season, was instead charged with a Level III violation and no additional penalties. Assistant coach Kurtis Townsend, who was suspended four games last year as well, also had his charges reduced from Level I to a Level II and a Level III violation, with no additional penalties. Neither coach faces a show-cause order, which could have been applicable for Level I violations.

• Rage+1 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:01 PM, 'stache said:

On 10/10/2023 at 6:56 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s some of the biggest bullshit I’ve ever seen

For real, I'm still mad about it and I'm not even affected by it. Utter bullshit.

It's not even "seemingly lesser," Lamont Evans did nothing to help the program, what he did was solely to enrich himself. And he was brought here by Brad Underfuck who was here for only a year and has zero repercussions at Illinois. We also cooperated fully for that, among other, reasons. The rule book literally says that cooperation will be considered in determining the punishment. KU did not cooperate, at all, yet no repercussion. Even if we were still good at basketball, shit like this makes me care less and less. 

Edited by 'stache

Yes, how dare anybody try to play defense. Players on offense, whether they have the ball or not, should get to do whatever they want.

This was the inevitable once the "restricted arc" was established. Imagine not being able to defend your own goalline in football, yet that's the equivalent of the "restricted arc" and now this intent on wiping out charges altogether.

Fucking stupid.

And get off my lawn!!!

"My message was always, with what they are saying now, is that they did the wrong thing to us," Boynton told ESPN at Big 12 media day on Wednesday. "My only issue at this point is I still haven't heard anybody call and say, 'You know what? We screwed up.' Accountability is a big deal to me. It's something I preach in our program every day.

"If somebody would call and just say, 'You know what, Coach? I get it. We did the wrong thing. That shouldn't have happened. We can't change it but I want you to at least know we acknowledge that.' Because that's all that can be done at this point."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38691484/oklahoma-state-coach-mike-boynton-says-ncaa-owes-apology-postseason-ban

You're got dammed right, coach. Fuck KU and fuck the NCAA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 6:50 PM, Brian Fantana said:

Tech takes down aggy 89-84 in an exhibition in Dallas today. Just a preseason game, but bodes well for us considering they're a veteran, preseason top 15 team.

Plenty of foul trouble and a couple of foulouts on Tech's side but we were still able to close it out.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Question about the aggy exhibition...where did they play the exhibition?

That’s rough.  I really like Boynton but it seems like he’s up against it a bit this year.

We rolled against a hapless Wisconsin-Green Bay 85-44.  Of our two Top 100 freshmen, Momcilovic was by far the star last night.  Hit 85% (6/7) from 3.  I feel like he’s going to become the kind of guy everyone else hates.  Tre King was very efficient in the post, and Keshon Gilbert (combo guard transfer) did a great job driving to the hoop and drawing contact.  Lipsey was in complete control running the offense, and even hit both of his 3 point attempts.

Defensive intensity didn’t seem to match the last couple years.  They were slow off a few rotations. I’m not sure anyone on this team will harass opposing back courts the way Gabe Kalscheur did.

Obviously hard to take much from a game like that, but my expectation that we’re top half of the league and a tournament squad seems quite intact.