Collecting Longhorn Sports Memorabilia

statsman

I was hesitant about starting a new thread, but the card collecting and watches thread’s don’t seem to cover this topic, really. 

Anyone collect Longhorn-sports memorabilia- programs, magazines, jerseys, bowl swag, etc.?

I focus on watches and paper (programs, magazines and books), but will occasionally branch out. I’ll also pick up general SWC stuff, if it’s old and cool. Anyone else?

One of the things I collect are Bowl Game watches. Here are my”dupes” (1946 Cotton Bowl Elgin, 1960 Cotton Bowl Hamilton, 1984 Cotton Bowl ladies watch, 1996 B12 CG Seiko, 2003 Cotton Bowl Fossil and 2010 Rose Bowl Fossil). Anyone have any to trade?

C02236D3-50D5-4D38-A012-532218AA012A.jpeg

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

Football signed by Earl Campbell (his wikipedia page pic is him signing my ball), a few framed pics of team signatures from a spring game during the Herman era. I need to take a look at them again and see who's all on them. Also a #2 jersey picked up at he fire sale that I plan on framing eventually. My son was 4 when we got it, hopefully I can somehow manage to get a Roschon signature on it.

SpringGame.jpg.024bb6af72560f92c7a27809664cef40.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6594e66aa080f71e523e734d566ea40c.png

Hook’em!!

Dad’s roughed up watch and multiple bands/bracelets later over the decades. He wore it until the little spinner/dial came out. I told him that we should send it to Omega for refurbishing.

‘62 Cotton Bowl vs LSU.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 7

• 2 weeks later...

Armybrat, those are awesome. The artist for the covers is John Chase, and as far as iconic program cover artists go, he may be second to Georgia’s Jack Davis (of EC comics and Mad magazine fame). 

(I would love to buy the original art for one of Chase’s Longhorn covers). 

I’m sure you know that the Arkansas game program is from one of TMS’ most legendary games. 

• Like 1

I like those old programs, especially those with cover art by Chase. Do you collect significant games, or just ones that come as opportunities?
I had a chance to buy quite a few at once so I did. Veggie that just piecemealed a few here and there. The people I bought the largest part of the collection from kept the most significant games for the most part. So I focused on the NC seasons and anything pre-1984. I do have two copies of the Texas Navy Cotton Bowl. And some other important games as well.

I have my tickets from the 2006 NC game framed with a photo of the Tower lit up. The AS and LAT front pages framed. I also have a UT football signed to me from Vince Young right after the 2005 Big XII championship and a helmet signed by Colt McCoy.

I love the cover art on the programs though. Just phenomenal.

I need to get a better setup for my longhorn room so I can display everything properly.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Armybrat, those are awesome. The artist for the covers is John Chase, and as far as iconic program cover artists go, he may be second to Georgia’s Jack Davis (of EC comics and Mad magazine fame). 

I’m sure you know that the Arkansas game program is from one of TMS’ most legendary games. 

I too love the old game day programs. It’s a shame the we got away from printing game programs around 10-15 years ago and went to the smaller game “booklets” that are free.

I used to always purchase a program, as besides the ticket stub, that was your “proof” that you were there. I still have many of those boxed up in the garage, against my wife’s opinion.

Hook’em!!!

9 hours ago, statsman said:

BE4A4FC7-1CA6-4D1B-BF1D-D61818408995.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have an "autograph panel" football with hand procured sigs by...
~ James Brown
~ Richard Walton
~ Major
~ Mack
& Ricky

I also have a fitted ballcap that is signed by Mack, Coach Royal & Ricky. I don't wear that one as much anymore because I don't want the sigs to suffer sun damage.

I sorta had to chase Major down for the football when he was doing afternoon radio for AM 1300 (on Lamar just N of 6th).

Waited in the parking area under the building, got there around 1 hour prior to his daily air time & sure enough, he was driving a freebie vehicle from Apple Leasing.

I also have a pair of season ticket stubs that were signed " W I D E "by Chris Simms & Major on the whole piece prior to bei g separated.
The idea is to reassemble them as a single piece (the way they were mailed) & have that professionally framed up.

2 hours ago, CatManDo said:

I’ve been lurking on shag and surly going back to about 2015.  As a 64 year old guy, I was finally inspired to make my first post earlier today on the “getting old sucks” thread, providing some advice on afib and cardio ablation.  So, I thought I would continue to introduce myself and share some photos of a couple of my favorite pieces of Longhorn memorabilia: my personalized M. Brown and D. Royal autographed photo, and my 1969 National Champs mini-helmet with autos of Royal, Worster, Koy, Speyrer, and Street.  Another hobby is collecting autos of Baseball HOF members, I’ve also attached a photo of part of that collection.

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

That is an impressive collection and nicely displayed. How many HOF autographs are you up to?

Thanks mininghorn88.  I have a total of 667 autographs of 220 different HOFers, which obviously means that I have multiples of most.  There are 117 HOFers that I don’t have yet, primarily because they’re too expensive and/or very rare.

Edited by CatManDo
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Here’s some more of my Longhorn memorabilia:

-Huston Street ROY batting helmet, signed at a Coop signing in 2005 or so;

-Press Pass auto cards l bought on eBay, which I then framed myself;

-photo signed at 2004 fan appreciation day with Mack, Chance Mock, Tony Jefferies, Vince Young, Derrick Johnson, and Cedric Benson;

-mini-helmets: upper left, Mack on the 2006 Rose Bowl helmet, obtained thru the athletic office; upper right the 1969 helmet that I posted previously; lower left, Mack, Vince, R. Wright, & L. Dibble from 2005 fan day; and lower right D. Johnson, C. Benson, Mack, & Vince from 2004 fan day.

IMG_5303.jpeg

IMG_5302.jpeg

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of random stuff, including a set of white national championship highball glasses just like armybrat's upthread.

But my most cherished item is an autographed football signed by Darrell Royal, Earl Campbell, Mack Brown, and Ricky Williams. My aggie father-in-law knew the equipment manager at UT back in the '98 timeframe and got them all for me.  Earl signed in a massive gold paint pen, it's awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

My aunt came to Texas on a basketball scholarship but got hurt and ended up being a trainer for the football team. One day in one of the big trash bins outside the locker room was a an earl Campbell helmet with a cracked face mask. Had is name written in marker inside the ear hole, athletic tape around the bottom middle of the face mask, different color paint marks on the outside. Looked just like one that you see in all his pics. She grabbed it and gave it to me when I was little. It was my prized possession. When I was in my twenties in the early 2000’s I had to spend some time at MD Anderson. My head and neck cancer surgeon was a UT grad and a huge Texas fan - really cool young doc from Cuba. He successfully performed a life saving surgery on me and, after many trips back over the next few years and getting the all clear, I gave him the helmet. He loved it and it was a great feeling to celebrate with him when that particular section of MD doesn’t have a ton of all clears. I now have a boy of my own who is crazy about UT. I wish I had it to give to him but am still ok with what I did. It was a cool helmet though!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

There is some great stuff here.  Very impressive.  At one time we had discussed a remodel of the living room with vintage college football items.  The idea was to shadow box a player's uniform, official's uniform and cheerleader from the day.  Then accent it all with vintage pennants, programs, concessions, etc.  Sometimes it is more about the hunt than the kill.  Anyhoo, about the only thing I can add of value is don't forget to check around for some Texas Monthly or SI magazine covers.  Both printed many articles on TEXAS sports and would be an easy way to get a collection going. 

• 4 weeks later...