Advice on where to live in between Austin and Houston?

My mom (70 yo) is wanting to move away from Schertz where she lived with my dad before he passed away a couple of years ago. She'd prefer to either live within 30 minutes of Austin, where I live, or 30 minutes of Houston, where her sisters live.

Just taking a quick glance, if she chose to live closer to Austin, the best options to look into seem to be Bastrop or Smithville. Is that accurate? I know both of those are more than a 30 minute drive, but still about an hour or less.

If she chose to live closer to Houston, what are some cities or towns that y'all would recommend?

Her only real requirements are it be a house with a fenced backyard for her two dogs, and she doesn't want to live in too small of a town where she has to drive another 20 minutes or something to go to an HEB or a Walmart.

Any thoughts or advice?

Your equidistant stuff would be like sealy or Columbus- neither of which seem all that great as you drive through them. 

I’ve barely made the drive on 290, no clue what’s there. 

closer to Houston- I’d look at Rosenberg. It’s easy to get to while avoiding all the Katy or Houston traffic. Just turn south at Sealy.  It’s probably suburban hell by now though. 

Bastrop isn't a bad town. A little redneck/MAGAy but the amenities are pretty nice and convenient for a place it's size and (if she's buying a house) the real estate is getting fairly trendy. 

All I got. 

Maybe tell us more about your mom? Is she a home body? Is she active and fit for her age? What does she like doing? Like someone else asked - why doesn't she just move within the Austin or Houston immediate metro? Pics?

Bastrop isn't a bad town. A little redneck/MAGAy but the amenities are pretty nice and convenient for a place it's size and (if she's buying a house) the real estate is getting fairly trendy. 
All I got. 
Maybe tell us more about your mom? Is she a home body? Is she active and fit for her age? What does she like doing? Like someone else asked - why doesn't she just move within the Austin or Houston immediate metro? Pics?

She's a homebody, but still in good health and independent. She still goes on a couple mile walks with the dogs in the morning and evening. She likes to sew and other crafty stuff, so trips to Hobby Lobby or the fabric store are a normal occurrence.

I think she doesn't want to move into Austin proper because of the increased home prices and it feeling like too big of a city for her. The suburbs of Houston might be a better option in that sense. I'll have to talk to her more to get a sense of her reasoning of not wanting to live in Austin or Houston proper. I plan on taking her out to Bastrop and just looking around so she can get a sense of the place and see what she thinks.

As for pics, just imagine a stereotypical short Hispanic woman.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

She's a homebody, but still in good health and independent. She still goes on a couple mile walks with the dogs in the morning and evening. She likes to sew and other crafty stuff, so trips to Hobby Lobby or the fabric store are a normal occurrence.

I think she doesn't want to move into Austin proper because of the increased home prices and it feeling like too big of a city for her. The suburbs of Houston might be a better option in that sense. I'll have to talk to her more to get a sense of her reasoning of not wanting to live in Austin or Houston proper. I plan on taking her out to Bastrop and just looking around so she can get a sense of the place and see what she thinks.

As for pics, just imagine a stereotypical short Hispanic woman.

She might dig Bastrop. It's generally pretty spread out and outdoorsy and has a fairly unique geography considering where it is in Texas with the tall pine trees and elevation changes. Their downtown area has improved noticeably in past years and there are a couple nice parks right on the river. And it looks like they do have a Hobby Lobby (as well as a big-ass HEB and Gual Mar and Bucees).

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

All I got. 

they don't allow gestapo there.       

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Brenham?

Yeah, Brenham's a pretty nice town with plenty of shopping, plus it also has a pretty vibrant downtown. Obviously, it's closer to Houston and on 290. Smithville is great but she'd have to do all her shopping in Bastrop, which still might be worth it on housing costs since Bastrop is basically becoming a suburb of Austin and I'm sure getting more expensive. Elgin, I think is also a good possibility if an increasingly revitalized downtown is a priority. Buda is also really getting its act together and is clearly closer to home since it sounds like you're in South-ish Austin.

• Like 1

Brenham if closer to Houston is an option is definitely good for an older person, small but plenty to do.  Heb, Walmart, downtown area is very nice, always events going on and everyone is very friendly.  I worked for a company based out of there for a couple years and would stay a few nights a week when I had to actually go there.  

Lulz at Brenham. Fuck that place. Cops, blue bell, cops, Blinn, traffic tickets and, oh yeah, fucking cops. 

Bastrop? Meh. Could do a hell of a lot worse (see above.)

Hockley, Fulshear, Brookshire to the west/ northwest side of Houston are pretty much your only options, depending how far away from Houston she wants to be. 

• Like 1

30 miles away from a big city is definitely what an older person might say. They think of a idyllic small town with a cute downtown. 30 miles from a big city is a big city.

70 probably isn't at a point that she needs frequent assistance yet but those days may not be far away. Within 10 years be prepared that she may need you to come over without notice. And I don't mean in I've fallen and I can't get up (those can occur) but not understanding why the TV won't come on. If she's near Houston, you're looking at a 5 hour day to turn on a TV. You discover that she's hitting the wrong remote button.

30 miles away from a big city is definitely what an older person might say. They think of a idyllic small town with a cute downtown. 30 miles from a big city is a big city.
70 probably isn't at a point that she needs frequent assistance yet but those days may not be far away. Within 10 years be prepared that she may need you to come over without notice. And I don't mean in I've fallen and I can't get up (those can occur) but not understanding why the TV won't come on. If she's near Houston, you're looking at a 5 hour day to turn on a TV. You discover that she's hitting the wrong remote button.
I've definitely been considering that. She has a clear mind and is healthy now, but who knows how fast that can change. I thought she was set on East of Austin or West of Houston, but then she mentioned that she googled Kyle yesterday. I know a lot more about Buda and Kyle, and that would be a lot easier for me to get to since I live basically in the Southern most part of Austin already.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I don't think she's in a rush to move, but just looking at options at this point, so this helps.

Joking aside, she needs to be looking 30 minutes from doctor's offices.  Most of the people that age that I know need to see one of their many doctors every week or two.  With bloodwork and other diagnostics, appointments can end up being several in any given month.  If I'm 70, I'm not moving any farther from Austin than Bastrop.  My in-laws have all of their doctors in Austin - where they lived up and till two years ago.  Now they live in Rockport with the same doctors.  Their schedule is a shit show, which involves them staying with us or other relatives while in Austin for appointments.

20 hours ago, deadshank said:

La Grange.  They gotta lot of nice girls.  

Damn, there's that song again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Isn't 30 minutes from Houston, well, Houston.

Came to post this.

30 minutes from Houston you're talking suburb city, which maybe she is fine with. 

If it were me and was still healthy and active, I'd pick central Texas 10 out of 10 times and I'm a born/raised Houstonian.

OP if you’re her primary caregiver, I’d suggest Bastrop and tell your sisters to deal with it. 

It sounds like you’d prefer the I 10 side of your sisters are looking after her in Houston. Richmond and Rosenberg are nice, but are a pain in the ass to get to from I 10. A shit ton of lights on a bunch of 50 mph farm to market type roads. Simonton and Fulshear have similar issues. 

I hate to say, but if it’s going to be Houston I’d put her up in Katy. Plenty of hospitals, things to do, easy to get around, and it’s cheap outside of the gated communities. 

• Like 1

Lots of good suggestions here. My parents are about 70 and live in a 55+ community called Heritage Grand in Cinco Ranch. They love it. Lots of social neighbors that take care of each other. I’d consider looking for a similar development in your target area.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 12:58 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Joking aside, she needs to be looking 30 minutes from doctor's offices.  Most of the people that age that I know need to see one of their many doctors every week or two.  With bloodwork and other diagnostics, appointments can end up being several in any given month.  If I'm 70, I'm not moving any farther from Austin than Bastrop.  My in-laws have all of their doctors in Austin - where they lived up and till two years ago.  Now they live in Rockport with the same doctors.  Their schedule is a shit show, which involves them staying with us or other relatives while in Austin for appointments.

Depending on the mom’s health, the convenience of the care-giver/nearby child should be a deciding factor on where parents live. I get wanting to give parents the autonomy of a decision but they’re not the ones that will be asked to drive over perhaps 1-3x per week.

For my 70 year old parent I can get onboard with letting them decide even if it’s a good drive but I would want them to rent. Once they hit 75 or 80, it can go downhill quickly. You will want less barriers to moving them closer.

also as people get to be much older, their world shrinks. Living in that small town doesn’t matter as they don’t drive or get out much anyway.

• Like 1