What do y'all do with used personal electronics?

Due to the personal nature of computers, tablets, and phones, if it's something old I've often just put them in a drawer when I upgrade. I'd like to finally get rid of this stuff.

At this point, much of it is so outdated that it's of no use to anyone, so donating isn't really an option. As well, who knows what stuff I have left on there. Is there a place that has an industrial shredder for disposing of it in a secure way? 

What do y'all do with that laptop from 2008 or that phone from 2012?

For computers, I remove all disk drives, and at least try to destroy them, mainly by removing all the screws so I can open up the drive and see the nice shiny (and sharp!) platters inside. Maybe I will try and break the platters. At that point, I figure that reading any data is beyond anybody who really cares and has special equipment, and then the drive goes in the trash. The rest of the computer goes in the trash.

just delete all your shit before you shut them down.  or take a hammer to them (with batteries removed).

my office has e-waste disposal we can use for personal purposes.  all of the large retail stores and especially electronic ones have to accept them, too.  not great to just drop it off at the regular dump because theres lots of valuable and/or toxic material still on them.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m sure they appreciate your 10 year old Jitterbug.

giphy.gif

I’m old, I ain’t that old.  I’ve probably given them 4 or 5 over the years.  As long as they hold a charge they can use them for watching YouTube videos during their allotted screen time.

hard drives you can used dban to erase.  SSDs should have a secure erase mode.  phones/tablets do a factory reset.  amazon often gives coupons for trading their old stuff back (20% + $20 off a kindle scribe for trading in an old fire tablet recently).  lots of stores recycle electronics, as do various governmental/ngo types. 

Edited by elfenix

My name is Francisco, and I'm a tech collector hoarder.

I still have my first computer from 1994.  At this moment, I probably have in the house somewhere around 75-100 computers and laptops.  I've not seen many of them in years, as they are in the attic, or stored in a spare bedroom closet.  iPads? Probably around 15-20 or so between me, my wife and kids.  I still have Blackberrys (hell, I have two Blackberry Storms, for those of you who know what a piece of shit those were) around from the 2005-10 time range.   

Why?  Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not using all of this stuff, yet I can't part with it.  In the den, there are two laptops (the one I'm typing on and my wife's).  In the office upstairs, there's a 2019 Mac Pro and an iMac, and that's it for computers that are visibly on display, being used daily, etc.    The kids each have an Ipad, so they don't have a lot of stuff out.  I've handed down older phones, watches, tablets and laptops to other family members, so I've done that before.

Lotta words to explain that yeah, I need to start culling.