2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:
  • LT Banks
  • LG Conner OR Neto
  • C Majors
  • RG Hutson OR Campbell
  • RT Jones

But that will be Campbell and Neto by midseason, IMO.

Cam Williams is the 8th player that will also be heavily involved in the OL rotation this season...

Pun intended 😂😂😂 😂😂

Edited by LTtxfan

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

LT Banks

LG Conner OR Neto

C Majors

RG Hutson OR Campbell

RT Jones

But that will be Campbell and Neto by midseason, IMO.

Neto and Campbell represent the upside. I don’t doubt they are the 2 best run blocking guards on the roster. The question will be consistency. They will start, if they they are assignment sound. We saw the good and bad of that, when Campbell entered the Baylor game. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Neto and Campbell represent the upside. I don’t doubt they are the 2 best run blocking guards on the roster. The question will be consistency. They will start, if they they are assignment sound. We saw the good and bad of that, when Campbell entered the Baylor game. 

Yep.  Was it his first play in that Campbell whiffed on a stunt for a sack?  But go back and watch the 4th quarter, Campbell was pushing a Baylor DL around full of upperclassmen with lots of starts/playing experience.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yep.  Was it his first play in that Campbell whiffed on a stunt for a sack?  But go back and watch the 4th quarter, Campbell was pushing a Baylor DL around full of upperclassmen with lots of starts/playing experience.

I don't think Conner or Hutson have done enough to be bonafide starters. If they're close in camp go with a little bit of consistency but more upside.

• Like 1

Was hoping J'Mond Tapp could have been someone to emerge as a pass rusher, and I know it's early, but I don't think I've seen his name mentioned yet.

PK mentioned him in his press conference with Ethan Burke and Finkley as D ends that are emerging around Sorrell.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's not really a bad idea either tbh and we must find a way to get him a touchdown catch lol

"Murph" outgrew being a RB but has a little past experience there... you can tell he really wants a shot to be the Horns version of "The Fridge" and score a TD

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Campbell will be an All American his junior year and you’ll still be driving by on the preseason thread of 2024 or 2025 to remind us that he did some dumb shit in his first meaningful minutes as a true freshman. It’s part of your raison d’etre on this board at this point.

The guy didn’t enroll early and then didn’t get many early practice reps due to an injury. It’s simply folly to be worried about the guy not getting dramatically better over the last 8 months with more maturity, reps, and coaching.

He’ll be the starter against Rice at RG in a few weeks and he’ll be a substantial upgrade. If he fucks up an assignment or two in each of the first few games, let’s call it a given. That will spare us reading entire pages with you dorks dissecting it and lamenting that, while Hutson or Robertson might have been ragdolled into the backfield, by God, they would have at least known where they should have been on that play. 

One thing that Bobby mentions about DJ Campbell is that when he hits someone or puts his hand on someone, especially at the second level they move. Said he’s 6’3 340 right now as well with very long arms. 

They say they don’t see that at all with Hutson or Conner 

28 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m careful of what I post, simply because you would be surprised who lurks on these forums. But DJ Campbell is your starting RG. Hutson started camp with the ones out of respect that he was a returning starter, but it’s pretty known/expected that Campbell will start. That’s what the coaches want and are planning around. LG is where the true battle is. 

LG

Edge

CB 

Those are the real camp battles and CB is starting to appear clearer even though the 3rd and 4th CBs are coverage studs. 

I’ve heard Brooks is starting to take over one of the corner spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There were a few moments during Greg Davis’ insipid reign of banality in which I became an honest to goodness threat to the guy and those around me. That was one. I had visions of climbing up to the press box, fighting my way through multiple levels of security and throwing him off the ledge in front of a horrified crowd below. Like, seriously considering it. 

Horrified? Is it a crowd of OU fans?

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’ll be the starter against Rice at RG in a few weeks and he’ll be a substantial upgrade. If he fucks up an assignment or two in each of the first few games, let’s call it a given. That will spare us reading entire pages with you dorks dissecting it and lamenting that, while Hutson or Robertson might have been ragdolled into the backfield, by God, they would have at least known where they should have been on that play. 

I think the main thing holding back both Campbell and Umeozulu is pass blocking. If they know their pass pro assignments and pick up stunts and blitzes they will be starting. If not, Conner and Hudson will both be starting at least through the Alabama game. No matter how frustrating it is to see interior offensive linemen get stonewalled or pushed into the backfield on running plays, protecting the QB is a bit more important. Keeping Ewers healthy is the biggest priority for the offensive line.

I really want to see how we do against Alabama with a healthy starting QB the entire game.

Edited by BornOrange

14 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This cracks me up. Your top two dudes sit. Your 3rd guy is less than 100%. The bowl game didn’t mean much in the bigger picture. Whoever else you have has not played in games.

Now it’s an early season practice. The top dog is out. It’s a practice.

Here’s a shocker. Even if Keilan is 3rd team, he’s likely getting meaningful snaps with the first unit. He’s earned them in productive moments, gadget plays or not, but Sark giving him an additional nod is ok too. And those gadget plays will be more productive if Keilan can diversify the plays he can run. So practice those. With the guys that’ll be on the field with him.

Now, if he gets the majority of carries and averages 2.5 per carry in the season, we got a problem. Who gives a damn who technically starts the games. We need each guy put in places and situations to produce. No need to worry about who runs out first.

You don't seem to understand. This is Surly and this is what happens at this point of camp: The coaches are idiots and are horribly mis-managing the depth chart, dooming our season.

One thing that Bobby mentions about DJ Campbell is that when he hits someone or puts his hand on someone, especially at the second level they move. Said he’s 6’3 340 right now as well with very long arms. 

They say they don’t see that at all with Hutson or Conner 

This is a play where Bijan gets caught from behind because Hayden Conner lightly shoves the safety. Notice Kelvin Banks demolishes his guy.

32 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Bobby seems to think that Burke and Bledsoe both have the pass rushing ability to be quality edges, and can get people on the ground rather than just hurry them. His concern about them is how they will hold up against the run. 

Can you pull up the video again? Burke obviously needs to add strength. But, that makes no sense with regard to Bledsoe. Bledsoe was recruited as a defensive lineman (and was ranked #21 in the state). If a 270lb defensive lineman can't hold up against the run when playing edge, that's a problem. He didn't play his senior year in high school and he is learning a new position - that learning curve would be the most likely limitation to his play.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Can you pull up the video again? Burke obviously needs to add strength. But, that makes no sense with regard to Bledsoe. Bledsoe was recruited as a defensive lineman (and was ranked #21 in the state). If a 270lb defensive lineman can't hold up against the run when playing edge, that's a problem. He didn't play his senior year in high school and he is learning a new position - that learning curve would be the most likely limitation to his play.

I listened to the podcast yesterday, but as I recall, Bobby’s explanation was that Bledsoe’s issues come from his level of competition in high school (2A) and learning to recognize the complexities of college running games (he specifically mentioned trap blocking). I think the edge position in our system may be different that what he was used to as well. It’s not that Bledsoe won’t get there eventually, it’s more of a learning curve issue as I understand his concern. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Bobby seems to think that Burke and Bledsoe both have the pass rushing ability to be quality edges, and can get people on the ground rather than just hurry them. His concern about them is how they will hold up against the run. 

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

25 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I listened to the podcast yesterday, but as I recall, Bobby’s explanation was that Bledsoe’s issues come from his level of competition in high school (2A) and learning to recognize the complexities of college running games (he specifically mentioned trap blocking). I think the edge position in our system may be different that what he was used to as well. It’s not that Bledsoe won’t get there eventually, it’s more of a learning curve issue as I understand his concern. 

Christian Jones says Bledsoe is the 2nd toughest edge to go against in practice behind Sorrel. Also Bledsoe didn't play his senior year of high school...so his adjustment from small school with no senior year to FBS is a huge leap. In a few of the IT lives they've raved about his athleticism at the edge position.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

This is a play where Bijan gets caught from behind because Hayden Conner lightly shoves the safety. Notice Kelvin Banks demolishes his guy.

I’ll gladly take my guard 20 yards downfield making contact against a DB that’s giving a little ground. As for the Banks block, that S basically sacrificed himself albeit for nothing.

Newsflash: Banks is better than Conner. This isn’t really a play I’d use to highlight that.

This is best an example of a great play call given what the defense is running. Everybody’s job was easy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Campbell will be an All American his junior year and you’ll still be driving by on the preseason thread of 2024 or 2025 to remind us that he did some dumb shit in his first meaningful minutes as a true freshman. It’s part of your raison d’etre on this board at this point.

The guy didn’t enroll early and then didn’t get many early practice reps due to an injury. It’s simply folly to be worried about the guy not getting dramatically better over the last 8 months with more maturity, reps, and coaching.

That is funny. I was going to qualify that statement with "it isnt fair, since it was last season, but it is an example of young OL", because I figured someone would get their panties in a wad and twist the comment for the sake of hearing themselves.  I should have known. Consistency is king on the OL (you can add safety also). That was for Neto, Campbell, and pretty much every young talented offensive linemen in the program. Both likely would have started last year, if Flood trusted them to pick up stunts and blitzes. Its been almost a year, so you assume they are better. How much better is the question. 

Edited by Codaxx

9 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m careful of what I post, simply because you would be surprised who lurks on these forums. But DJ Campbell is your starting RG. Hutson started camp with the ones out of respect that he was a returning starter, but it’s pretty known/expected that Campbell will start. That’s what the coaches want and are planning around. LG is where the true battle is. 

LG

Edge

CB 

Those are the real camp battles and CB is starting to appear clearer even though the 3rd and 4th CBs are coverage studs. 

Edge- Burke and Bledsoe? 

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Edge- Burke and Bledsoe? 

I think Bledsoe is working behind Sorrel with the other side being Burke, Finkley, Baby Bosa's Bible Bonker.

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is funny. I was going to qualify that statement with "it isnt fair, since it was last season, but it is an example of young OL", because I figured someone would get their panties in a wad and twist the comment for the sake of hearing themselves.  I should have known. Consistency is king on the OL (you can add safety also). That was for Neto, Campbell, and pretty much every young talented offensive linemen in the program (you can add safety to that also).  Both likely would have started last year, if Flood trusted them to pick up stunts and blitzes. Its been almost a year, so you assume they are better. How much better is the question. 

I'd listen to what Freehorn says....

I'd bet LG Conner/Hutson start there to begin the year but Neto takes over.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Bledsoe is working behind Sorrel with the other side being Burke, Finkley, Baby Bosa's Bible Bonker.

I'd listen to what Freehorn says....

I'd bet Conner/Hutson start there to begin the year but Neto takes over.

I expect Campbell to start vs Rice and I hope Neto joins him. Neto seems a bit behind Campbell in development, but he is very talented. Saying they will play when they can show consistency, is not the same as saying they wont play. It was a pretty obvious statement and one that should be dear to your heart. It is the reason Major will start this year. 

I expect Campbell to start vs Rice and I hope Neto joins him. Neto seems a bit behind Campbell in development, but he is very talented. Saying they will play when they can show consistency, is not the same as saying they wont play. It was a pretty obvious statement and one that should be dear to your heart. It is the reason Major will start this year. 

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is funny. I was going to qualify that statement with "it isnt fair, since it was last season, but it is an example of young OL", because I figured someone would get their panties in a wad and twist the comment for the sake of hearing themselves.  I should have known. Consistency is king on the OL (you can add safety also). That was for Neto, Campbell, and pretty much every young talented offensive linemen in the program. Both likely would have started last year, if Flood trusted them to pick up stunts and blitzes. It’s been almost a year, so you assume they are better. How much better is the question. 

Between the three team focused threads following the 2022 season, I think you’ve walked the board through your DJ Campbell freshman cautionary tale at least 10 times. Yeah, you should have known. And yeah, guys get better and ratchet way up the learning curve with reps and coaching. It’s not an open question.

Mack Brown did the same shit about freshmen. Had like three anecdotes about why playing them is bad and then repeated them for a decade. My favorite was the one he clearly made up about a freshman vomiting in the tunnel of the TX/OU game.  

Wait. Mack? That you?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Between the three team focused threads following the 2022 season, I think you’ve walked the board through your DJ Campbell freshman cautionary tale at least 10 times. Yeah, you should have known. And yeah, guys get better and ratchet way up the learning curve with reps and coaching. It’s not an open question.

Mack Brown did the same shit about freshmen. Had like three anecdotes about why playing them is bad and then repeated them for a decade. My favorite was the one he clearly made up about a freshman vomiting in the tunnel of the TX/OU game.  

Wait. Mack? That you?

Campbell example just highlights the truth about OL. It is handy to bring up, when BurntOrange&White is on his 132nd rant about how a young player needs to replace Majors. It is simply the truth about OL.  It is not the same for RBs. That is where Mack and I disagree. 

Yeah, with NIL and the transfer portal, it sure seems like the "better freshman" will start playing a lot earlier now in CFB.

Play them while you've got them on your roster... better get a good return on the investment for your shareholders.

Campbell example just highlights the truth about OL. It is handy to bring up, when BurntOrange&White is on his 132nd rant about how a young player needs to replace Majors. It is simply the truth about OL.  It is not the same for RBs. That is where Mack and I disagree. 

Want to make it a 133rd rant buddy?