2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

11 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I was stunned watching the A&M-Alabama game last year, primarily by how bad Milroe was. 

Likewise. Enjoyed pointing that out to a local aggy who was crowing about almost beating Bama. About as bad as I've seen Bama look in quite a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I did the exact same thing

This is nice throw into a tight window

That's a throw late across the middle that gets the WR destroyed assuming it makes it through the body of the DL and OL that would normally be battling for that space. 

While I can appreciate the placement in the situation, that is not a throw I want the young gunslinger getting into his mind. 

In other words... F the preseason. 

14 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You don't want me calling plays.

If we don't have a high level QB, you might as well. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Slacks said:

That's a throw late across the middle that gets the WR destroyed assuming it makes it through the body of the DL and OL that would normally be battling for that space. 

Why wouldn't it make it "through the body of the DL and OL" considering it was released from a three quarters arm slot?

How do you know it was late? It looks like a timing route hitting the WR in stride. Was the WR late too? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

While I can appreciate the placement in the situation, that is not a throw I want the young gunslinger getting into his mind. 

Just curious what you think the "situation" was and how you deduced that the throw was late....you know...based on the :02 gif.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

That is a little bit of camera trickery, that is a throw out to the left flat on a slant. 

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT team notes

Reveal hidden contents

Thursday Defensive Notes

There was another team portion on Thursday with the focus being the run game and play-action passing. In previous practices the defense had a little trouble with the run game but they tightened up on Thursday and things were pretty even overall with a slight edge towards defense.

I hesitate to type this but Alfred Collins was the first name mentioned. As a source said, “he’s had good camps before, but he’s getting drafted at this rate, and not late in the draft.” Consume that responsibly.

Collins’ fellow defensive tackle, Byron Murphy, was the second player named.

Ethan Burke continues to look solid at Buck Edge. Sources indicate he’ll be the starter though that may not be official yet. Behind him, at least based on the most recent practice, is fellow Westlake alum Colton Vasek. Vasek was included in the recent ‘must-get’ post and he’s certainly looking the part. The sentiment is Vasek has an NFL future. Buck is going to be young this year, but it won’t lack for baseline talent, length, and motor.

Another note on Burke, his ability to drop into coverage has given the quarterbacks some trouble. He’s forced a number of check downs. 

At Jack you’ll find Barryn Sorrell followed by Justice Finkley. Kristopher Ross is figuring into Jack and Buck. 

It came to light through a Jaylan Ford availability that freshman linebacker Liona Lefau had an interception in practice. That stemmed from a heady, athletic coverage drop where Lefau got the depth the coaches were seeking. 

Terrance Brooks still looks like the starter at field corner. He’s athletic, strong in man coverage, and confident. He’ll stick his nose in there and mix it up, too. Malik Muhammad might actually be the third corner. We know portal transfer Gavin Holmes is a quality starter so what does all this tell you?

I don’t recall if it was publicly or privately but someone asked about Jerrin Thompson. Between he and Jalen Catalon, Texas might have two boundary safeties, though each are capable of playing field. Thompson’s doing his thing and looking good.

I don’t expect much from him this year, beyond maybe special teams, but Jelani McDonald is a pup that’s biting in practice. He’s very active despite still being confused at times. He plays at 100 MPH and the coaches love him.

Thursday Offensive Notes

While the defense might have gotten the better of the offense in team, the offense did make its share of plays in 7 on 7.

As I’m writing this I’m realizing I failed to ask enough offensive-minded questions. I did ask about the interior O-line, however. Cole Hutson and DJ Campbell are still splitting reps. One player will go with the ones in one drill and then switch for the next drill.

Jake Majors is going to be the center this year. There are guys working behind him but that seems more to solidify No. 2. Hayden Conner, Hutson, and Connor Robertson are repping behind Majors.

Jonathon Brooks is still the safe bet to start at running back and log the most carries, at least early in the season. CJ Baxter is coming along but still getting comfortable. I’d expect to see him a lot against Rice. Same with Jaydon Blue who is looking good. Interestingly some think Tre Wisner could lend a hand on special teams this year. As we’ve noted, he’s picked things up quickly but now we’re hearing he’s a high effort player that translates well to the third-phase. 

I was hoping Red would show up and show out, but all I've seen is that he was in a dog house. He seemed last season like he might be one of those angry people who win games.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

I was hoping Red would show up and show out, but all I've seen is that he was in a dog house. He seemed last season like he might be one of those angry people who win games.

I think it was mentioned he missed some workouts and every other running back in the room made the most of their summer. That room is too close to be giving anyone an advantage if you really want PT. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think it was mentioned he missed some workouts and every other running back in the room made the most of their summer. That room is too close to be giving anyone an advantage if you really want PT. 

Aha. I hadn't seen that. Apparently suffering from rectal-cranial inversion. Hope for removal in near future.

Is this still accurate? Worthy, Mitchell and Neyor on the field together would create some tough matchups.

WR-X 1 Worthy, Xavier JR 2 Cook II, Johntay FR            
WR-Z 5 Mitchell, Adonai JR/TR 8 Cain, Casey RS SO 9 Neyor, Isaiah RS SR/TR        
WR-H 13 Whittington, Jordan RS SR 11 Moore Jr., DeAndre FR 18 Niblett, Ryan FR

One of the aspects of Bama under  OC Sark was that there were multiple receivers wide open on so many plays. It seems reasonable to think we may see that this season. With decent protection from the OL and accurate throws from QB we should have an offense that scores more than last season. Rush 3 and drop 8, and we'll run all over you; stack the box to  stop the runs, and we'll have at least two receivers free. It could happen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

One of the aspects of Bama under  OC Sark was that there were multiple receivers wide open on so many plays. It seems reasonable to think we may see that this season. With decent protection from the OL and accurate throws from QB we should have an offense that scores more than last season. Rush 3 and drop 8, and we'll run all over you; stack the box to  stop the runs, and we'll have at least two receivers free. It could happen.

No excuses... 2023 Texas offense must be higher scoring than last year.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rush 3 and drop 8, and we'll run all over you;

I imagine this, or something in the same vein, will be the approach deployed against Texas early in the year. Everyone knows they can pass block and have a stacked group of pass catchers. Don’t play into their strengths, play a lot of dime dropping 7-8, and make them consistently execute down the field.

They’ve struggled with the “run all over you” answer to that despite having two freak, NFL RBs. Bijan and RoJo aren’t walking through that door so the OL is going to have to improve big time in the ground game to make that happen. There are reasons for optimism - another year of physical maturity across the board, inserting Campbell and removing the weakest link in Hutson - but the baseline they’re starting from with regard to run blocking is actually pretty low and it’s not at all a given they’ll be able to do that consistently.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Sounds like he missed some workouts and etc over the summer.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

No excuses... 2023 Texas offense must be higher scoring than last year.  🤘

It only takes one additoinal score, for the most part, to overcome those one-score losses. I think we lost games by 1, 3, 7, 7, and 7. 

We need to start working on those 2-point conversions.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

Thursday Defensive Notes

There was another team portion on Thursday with the focus being the run game and play-action passing. In previous practices the defense had a little trouble with the run game but they tightened up on Thursday and things were pretty even overall with a slight edge towards defense.

I hesitate to type this but Alfred Collins was the first name mentioned. As a source said, “he’s had good camps before, but he’s getting drafted at this rate, and not late in the draft.” Consume that responsibly.

Collins’ fellow defensive tackle, Byron Murphy, was the second player named.

Ethan Burke continues to look solid at Buck Edge. Sources indicate he’ll be the starter though that may not be official yet. Behind him, at least based on the most recent practice, is fellow Westlake alum Colton Vasek. Vasek was included in the recent ‘must-get’ post and he’s certainly looking the part. The sentiment is Vasek has an NFL future. Buck is going to be young this year, but it won’t lack for baseline talent, length, and motor.

Another note on Burke, his ability to drop into coverage has given the quarterbacks some trouble. He’s forced a number of check downs. 

At Jack you’ll find Barryn Sorrell followed by Justice Finkley. Kristopher Ross is figuring into Jack and Buck. 

It came to light through a Jaylan Ford availability that freshman linebacker Liona Lefau had an interception in practice. That stemmed from a heady, athletic coverage drop where Lefau got the depth the coaches were seeking. 

Terrance Brooks still looks like the starter at field corner. He’s athletic, strong in man coverage, and confident. He’ll stick his nose in there and mix it up, too. Malik Muhammad might actually be the third corner. We know portal transfer Gavin Holmes is a quality starter so what does all this tell you?

I don’t recall if it was publicly or privately but someone asked about Jerrin Thompson. Between he and Jalen Catalon, Texas might have two boundary safeties, though each are capable of playing field. Thompson’s doing his thing and looking good.

I don’t expect much from him this year, beyond maybe special teams, but Jelani McDonald is a pup that’s biting in practice. He’s very active despite still being confused at times. He plays at 100 MPH and the coaches love him.

Thursday Offensive Notes

While the defense might have gotten the better of the offense in team, the offense did make its share of plays in 7 on 7.

As I’m writing this I’m realizing I failed to ask enough offensive-minded questions. I did ask about the interior O-line, however. Cole Hutson and DJ Campbell are still splitting reps. One player will go with the ones in one drill and then switch for the next drill.

Jake Majors is going to be the center this year. There are guys working behind him but that seems more to solidify No. 2. Hayden Conner, Hutson, and Connor Robertson are repping behind Majors.

Jonathon Brooks is still the safe bet to start at running back and log the most carries, at least early in the season. CJ Baxter is coming along but still getting comfortable. I’d expect to see him a lot against Rice. Same with Jaydon Blue who is looking good. Interestingly some think Tre Wisner could lend a hand on special teams this year. As we’ve noted, he’s picked things up quickly but now we’re hearing he’s a high effort player that translates well to the third-phase. 

I don't see anyway Lefau isn't the main backup to Ford....IT always mentions Jett Bush for that role. I also don't see anyway that Ant Hill isn't the starter opposite of Ford.

I think a combination of Thompson/Catalon would be best for the team.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I also don't see anyway that Ant Hill isn't the starter opposite of Ford.

It's pretty easy to see considering Gbenda is getting pretty much all the reps with the ones.

Maybe as the season goes on Hill overtakes him, but I think they want him in a pretty defined role this year coming off the edge and will slowly introduce more traditional LB things to him over time.