2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

IT projecting the defensive depth chart

Spoiler

Normally we wait to release our unofficial Inside Texas depth chart until the Monday the week of the first game, but we have a pretty decent of where the order currently stands so felt it was time to go with a rough draft. 

This is not the official depth chart, and even if it was, it wouldn’t be in cement. The scrimmage tomorrow will play a factor in where players land on the chart as the coaches look to start game planning next week for the first game.

Nose Tackle

JR Byron Murphy: Locked in starter. 

SR T’Vondre Sweat: Can play nose and defensive tackle. 

JR Trill Carter: Expect 20 snaps a game. 

RS FR Aaron Bryan: Will play this year.

FR Sydir Mitchell: Will play this year.

Defensive Tackle

SR Alfred Collins: Huge camp, plus being a better fit for the position, puts him above Sweat. Can also play defensive end.

JR Vernon Broughton: Solid camp, will play a lot this year. Can also play defensive end.

RS FR Jaray Bledsoe: Could see 15 snaps a game. Can also play defensive end.

RS FR Zac Swanson: Probably a year away but solid player. 

Jack Defensive End

JR Barryn Sorrell: Locked in starter. 

SO Justice Finkley: Primary backup. Can play Jack and Buck.

RS FR Kristopher Ross: Can play Jack, Buck, and defensive end. 

RS FR J’Mond Tapp: Having a solid camp. Should play this year. Opportunity for more snaps is there.

Buck Outside Linebacker 

SO Ethan Burke: Pretty much a locked in starter.

FR Colton Vasek: Will play a lot this year, particularly as the season wears on.

FR Billy Walton: Expected to play more as the season wears on. Showing promise.

FR Tausili Akana: Expected to play more as the season wears on. Showing promise.

Mike Linebacker

SR Jaylan Ford: Locked in starter.

SR Jett Bush: Primary backup. 

FR Liona Lefau: Will play this year. Showing promise.

FR S’Maje Burrell: Probable redshirt unless he plays special teams. 

Will Linebacker

SR David Gbenda: Pretty much a locked in starter.

JR Morice Blackwell: Likely primary backup.

FR Anthony Hill: Will play a lot this year, likely on third downs. Impact will outweigh number of snaps.

FR Derion Gullette: Probable redshirt unless he plays special teams.

Sam Linebacker

JR Morice Blackwell: Likely starter when facing 12-personnel (two tight end teams).

FR Anthony Hill: Will play a lot this year. This could become his position.

Star/Nickel

SR Jahdae Barron: Locked in starter.

SO Jaylon Guibeau: Primary backup. 

SO Austin Jordan: Can play Star and corner.

FR Jelani McDonald: Showing promise, will likely play special teams.

Boundary Corner

SR Ryan Watts: Locked in starter.

FR Malik Muhammad: Can play field or boundary. Likely No. 3 corner. Will play a lot.

SO Austin Jordan: Can play Star and corner.

FR Warren Roberson: Learning coverage techniques, future is likely at Star.

Field Corner

SO Terrance Brooks: Probable starter.

JR Gavin Holmes: Likely No. 4 corner. Will play a lot.

RS FR X’avion Brice: Solid player, lots of bodies ahead of him. 

Boundary Safety

SR Jalen Catalon: Locked in starter.

SO Michael Taaffe: Primary backup. 

RS FR B.J. Allen: Will play this year. 

RS FR Larry Turner-Gooden: Possible special teamer. 

Field Safety 

SR Jerrin Thompson: Locked in starter.

SR Kitan Crawford: Primary backup. 

FR Derek Williams: Will play this year, including special teams.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So what I've gathered from the last couple of pages is that this is the best we've looked in camp since 2005 and all the skill positions are 3-4 deep and everyone is great, but also we suck and Ewers is going to suck and this is the suckiest bunch of sucks that has ever sucked.

Homer!!

Sorry, Moe, I gotta go. My damn wiener kids are listening. 

• Hook 'Em 5

[mention=411]ousux[/mention]is into something. Interceptions downfield are like punts- who gives a fuck?  go long. Check downs and shuffle (shuttle?) passes are for pussies. 
I just really hate turtling up and taking a sack. (sorry Card fan clubbers) Throwing it deep you have a chance at PI, moving the chains/TD if caught or incompletion. Going deep also has the side effect of keeping the D from stacking the box all day. Yes an INT is also possible, but most DB's become DB's because they suck at catching the ball consistently.

Worthy isn't our only deep threat this year we now have at least two other dudes who can track the ball and fight for it in the air

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

I just really hate turtling up and taking a sack. (sorry Card fan clubbers) Throwing it deep you have a chance at PI, moving the chains/TD if caught or incompletion. Going deep also has the side effect of keeping the D from stacking the box all day. Yes an INT is also possible, but most DB's become DB's because they suck at catching the ball consistently.

Worthy isn't our only deep threat this year we now have at least two other dudes who can track the ball and fight for it in the air

I know everyone is disagreeing with you but I get what you are saying. I hate the idea if it's double coverage or a safety is back facing the QB so he sees the ball coming the entire way, but if it's single coverage and the CB is turned and running with the receiver then I agree with you- throw it up there and let nature take its course.  We will win more than we lose and the ones we lose won't be all that painful if we are tackling guys 50 yards downfield.  

• Like 1

I know everyone is disagreeing with you but I get what you are saying. I hate the idea if it's double coverage or a safety is back facing the QB so he sees the ball coming the entire way, but if it's single coverage and the CB is turned and running with the receiver then I agree with you- throw it up there and let nature take its course.  We will win more than we lose and the ones we lose won't be all that painful if we are tackling guys 50 yards downfield.  
Exactly this! Throwing it away out of bounds is also ok if used sparingly, (and only when everyone is blanketed) otherwise it's not much better than turtling up and taking a sack.

"I hate turtling up and taking a sack, lets throw deep."
"You know to throw deep you  have to drop back to pass, which exponentially increases your chances of taking a sack."
"You throw the ball before you get sacked, duh!"
"And if the defender is there before the players can even get deep?"
"Duh, they just fucking teleport."

Right.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ousux said:
38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Exactly this! Throwing it away out of bounds is also ok if used sparingly, (and only when everyone is blanketed) otherwise it's not much better than turtling up and taking a sack.

This:

I may be alone in this and I
Understand if I am, but I would rather Quinn (or whoever is QB) throw the fuckin ball and let whatever happens happen instead of taking a sack or throwing out of bounds. Once again, it's just me.

and strategically throwing a jump ball to a WR that you feel has an advantage in a 1 on 1 situation down the sideline are very different things. Keep in mind that Quinn will not have the opportunity to throw the ball to AD Mitchell or Neyor down the sideline every time he gets pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I hate to interrupt this edifying conversation but T'Vondre Sweat had an INT (Twitter embeds are down again, thanks Elon)

F31cFscWwAEg3cI?format=webp&name=medium

https://twitter.com/TexasFootball/status/1692610292079808841

Almost definitely the result of Quinn chucking a bomb instead of taking a sack. Sweat with serious depth dropping into coverage

• Drool 1

"I hate turtling up and taking a sack, lets throw deep."
"You know to throw deep you  have to drop back to pass, which exponentially increases your chances of taking a sack."
"You throw the ball before you get sacked, duh!"
"And if the defender is there before the players can even get deep?"
"Duh, they just fucking teleport."

Right.
You get it

4 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Almost definitely the result of Quinn chucking a bomb instead of taking a sack. Sweat with serious depth dropping into coverage

Close but my sources say that after Connor false started and Jake was called for a snap infraction, Quinn arm was hit by Ant Hill as he beat Jones with an inside move. Sweat finished the play. 

and strategically throwing a jump ball to a WR that you feel has an advantage in a 1 on 1 situation down the sideline are very different things. Keep in mind that Quinn will not have the opportunity to throw the ball to AD Mitchell or Neyor down the sideline every time he gets pressure. 
I think our O-line (for the first time in a long ass time) will be good for an extra second of protection this year vs most defenses we face. I know deep balls won't always be the best strategy and it's better to get rid of the ball than toss it into a crowd while being chased down...but I'd much rather Quinn be a gunslinger playing to win and dominate vs playing to not lose, IE: scared of putting too many picks in his stat line.

Just now, ousux said:
49 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think our O-line (for the first time in a long ass time) will be good for an extra second of protection this year vs most defenses we face. I know deep balls won't always be the best strategy and it's better to get rid of the ball than toss it into a crowd while being chased down...but I'd much rather Quinn be a gunslinger playing to win and dominate vs playing to not lose, IE: scared of putting too many picks in his stat line.

Texas will be a favorite in 11 of 12 games this season. Quinn has generally been pretty solid with the football (throwing 1 pick ~49 attempts). The best way to lose to a shitty team is to turnover the football. Sark will take plenty of planned shots, no need to force throws. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Late to the game . . . wtf is wrong with Catalon?  Am I reading the surly tea leaves correctly?

This is probably the post you are referring to:

Catalon was running with the 3s, which is consistent with what the 9.95s have said.   

My gut tells me that is due to a few things, but I don’t know shit so take it for what it’s worth; they are  likely trying to protect him to a certain degree.  Playing 3rd string when you’re at his level, the game is much slower and he can work into things.  Learning the playbook against  Kai money(eg)  as opposed to X, makes it a little easier  and lastly just getting him reps after coming off reconstructive shoulder surgery 9-10 mos ago , second season lost to injury.  He’ll play and play a lot ,  but smart money is on bringing him along slowly 

Edited by jdhorn92

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That was my expectation . . . maybe I got roped in a page or two back when someone hinted "3rd string".

Balancing keeping him swaddled in bubblewrap with needing to experience the defense. He's probably wearing a green jersey while he does it.

But he's going to start.

SIAP...

Steve Sarkisian covers line-play, upcoming scrimmage, special teams and much more

Untitled-design-2023-06-07T172224.544.pn

Eric Nahlin•about 2 hours

Long-time Inside Texas contributor, Bill Frisbie, returns this week to help with team coverage from Austin media availabilities.

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian yet again with the Texas media on Friday after the team’s morning practice. The team will take the field again on Saturday for yet another scrimmage.

Sark detailed what the team will focus on tomorrow as well as many other aspects, including line-play, special teams, and the new clock rules.

On Saturday’s Scrimmage

“There’s a couple of different scenarios that we want to work-on. We want to work on game-like substitutions: you go from red zone, then you go to goal line, and then when you go for two, there are a lot of substitutions that have to happen there, getting those mechanics done from the sideline, things that have to be done in the moment on top of playing the game.” 

On the three turnovers in last Saturday’s scrimmage

“When you run 130 plays, you’re going to have turnovers. What I’m trying to clean up is how those turnovers occur. The defense had a really good segment in the 3rd-down and 4th-down portion of it, but we’ve got to clean up (the defensive lapses against) quarterback-scrambles and in the red area, where I thought the offense was effective last week.” 

On the final weekend of Camp (August 26)

“Next (Saturday) will be a ‘mock game’ (simulation) where we go through the pre-game routine and rituals. There’ll be a lot of situational work and a lot of substitutions (where we get players) into a true, game-like setting with the timing, the clocks and that sort of thing.” 

On naming a starting running back

“We’re not there yet.  To be fair to those guys, they need another (scrimmage). I do know this: we’ve got plenty of guys who can play, but I look for a lot of different things. Like, in today’s practice, we had a heavy two-minute situation (and looked for) how guys responded in that scenario. What do they look like on the goal line or in short yardage? What do they look like on regular plays, or on 3rd-downs in pass protection?  Who are the best at what? Maybe, early on, that’s how we play them.”

On the ‘line’ play

“The defensive line is playing really well. We’ve got some really good players when you’re talking about Byron Murphy and (T’Vondre) Sweat.  Alfred (Collins) is playing at a high level.  (RS-freshman) Jaray Bledson has stepped up, and Vernon (Broughton) is really explosive in there. Inevitably, that’s great for the offensive line.”

“You want to go against good people every day. You want to get pushed.  There’s going to be moments when one side has the advantage over the other. That’s the beauty of having a good team, a team that’s balanced on both sides of the ball. They can push one another, and raise each other’s level of play.” 

On the team’s top pass-protectors

“(Sophomore LT) Kelvin (Banks) is really good. That’s not to take anything away from (RT) Christian (Jones) because he’s done a nice job.  We’ve got three (running) backs right now (doing well) in pass protection, (starting with) Jonathon Brooks. Cedric (Baxter) really has a good feel in pass-protection. Keilan Robinson is really good. He knows how to use his body and his power to protect.”

On Special Teams Coach Jeff Banks

“(Special teams coach Jeff Banks) puts in the time and the effort. He’s very organized. He does a really good job of fitting our personnel to the scheme, of getting the right people to the right spots to do what they do really well. He does a nice job of recognizing players who may not be front-line starters but play with a style on special teams where they find a role (such as) Kitan Crawford and (Morice) Blackwell.”

“I love the attitude and the aggressiveness that (Banks) brings. That’s half of special teams. You’ve got to have players who want to be on special teams, and Jeff creates an environment where guys want to be on special teams. They love what he brings, they love the energy and they love that we’re going to scheme people. He demands maximum effort every time.” 

On the kicking game

“(Ryan) Sanborn’s experience (as a punter) is invaluable for us. He does a really good job with his directional punts. (K) Bert (Auburn), as the year went on, made some big kicks for us. (Lance) St.Lous might be one of the most improved guys we have, having been a true freshman last year. The weight rooms were good for him. Sanborn can kickoff as well.”

“Coverage-wise, I think we have the two best gunners in the country. Kitan (Crawford) and Keilan (Robinson) are phenomenal in the punt game and in our coverage units. Our kick-coverage has been tremendous for the last couple of years.” 

“What we’re striving for is how do we maximize the return game. Where do we find more plays in kick return and in punt return. We know we can go after punts, but the return game has been a point of emphases.”

On changes to the ‘clock’ rules

“We’ve been (practicing) a lot on that. We actually had a good segment on that today. The (new) clock rules really don’t affect the game in the midst of the game. It (results) in less amount of plays.  Where it comes into effect is understanding the two-minute marker (because) they’re going to be slower to start the clock after 1st-down (at the end of) the first half and 4th-quarter.  Players have to understand why efficiency is so important. You don’t want to waste plays because you don’t know how many you’re going to get. You might be in game, and have 50-to-55 plays, and neither team is going fast, so you’ve got to make those plays count.” 

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/1761570-2/

If there a more appropriate thread to discuss tickets, please point me in the right direction.

Family is going to be out of town for the Wyoming game, so I'm thinking about going as a single.  Are there any semi-premium options (more than just space on a bench) I could look at for a couple hundred bucks?