2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The funny part of the 18 wheeler question is because we all know it was asked because Maalik is a big black dude.

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

The Kool Aid is extra sweet this year. Watched the CBS inside college football show and Danny Kanell and Brian Jones both picked Texas in the playoff as 4th seed playing against Georgia.  

Aaron Taylor did not. 

Also of note Taylor and Kanell both picked Aggies as surprise SEC West winner. Wtf. 

Every national podcast I've listened to has had Texas winning the conference 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Also of note Taylor and Kanell both picked Aggies as surprise SEC West winner. Wtf. 

Kannell is wrong often enough that he's useful in trying to predict the season. You'll win money just betting the opposite of whatever he thinks. 

I still enjoy him on Cover 3 but he doesn't know shit. 

3 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Kannell is wrong often enough that he's useful in trying to predict the season. You'll win money just betting the opposite of whatever he thinks. 

I think he's pretty annoying on there, but yes he's a useful idiot for inverse betting

36 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Should someone tell him that Kannell picked us to go to the CFP? 

1 hour ago, Boss Hogg said:

The Kool Aid is extra sweet this year. Watched the CBS inside college football show and Danny Kanell and Brian Jones both picked Texas in the playoff as 4th seed playing against Georgia.  

Aaron Taylor did not. 

When did he do that?  On D&D in the morning he wasnt too high on them last week. Guessing this was on HQ? 

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

More team stuff from IT

Reveal hidden contents

After a late night practice the team will take today to rest and recover before a couple of lighter practices on Thursday and Friday. With Saturday comes another scrimmage that will go a long way towards setting the initial depth chart.

Below are notes we’ve gleaned from Tuesday’s practice and more.

Quarterbacks

There’s been a lot of focus on freshman sensation Arch Manning of late but he’s the future, the present is Quinn Ewers. Ewers looked “great” during Tuesdays practice and to continue his strong camp. He’s much further along than this time last year. Ewers is the most versed when it comes to checks at the line and he’s done well with pre-snap reads. His comfort and composure in the offense remain an advantage.

The second-year Texas QB looks really good on RPO’s with Jordan Whittington his prime beneficiary. He also has very good rapport with AD Mitchell.

Manning took more second team reps than ever last night and he looked good doing it. By now you know about the long bomb touchdown to Isaiah Neyor. That probably wasn’t even his best throw of the day. He also threw a ball on a line between the corner and safety to freshman receiver Ryan Niblett during team exercises. 

Team Drills

Steve Sarkisian has mentioned numerous times the team would focus on 3rd and 4th down offense and defense this August. Ever true to his world, that continued last night. The offense’s goal was to convert 3rd and 8 with a 4th down at their disposal if they didn’t convert. The offense didn’t convert a single 3rd down but converted each 4th down.

So, there was some give and take which has become a hallmark of this camp.

Defensive Personnel

Jaray Bledsoe is essentially the third string 3-tech. Last year Vernon Broughton had over 200 snaps in that role. This year Broughton moves up to second string. You can expect Bledsoe to see a good amount of snaps this year. He’s still an interior lineman but has lined up at 5-tech when in a three-man front similar to Alfred Collins. The staff likes Bledsoe inside because he can just pin his ears back and play.

J’Mond Tapp appears set to be the third-team Jack. He’s getting better, which for him means more consistent. He’s getting to the quarterback some and is more versed at staying home rather than drifting out of position against the run. 

True freshman Billy Walton is still learning the ropes but he’s been pretty productive. We’ve said this numerous times but he was much higher up the Big Board than people realized. He wasn’t viewed as Malik Muhammad’s cousin. So far he’s justifying their pursuit.

Defensive Back Health

Both Jahdae Barron and Jalen Catalon have been on pitch counts. The coaches already know what Barron can do so they have no reservations resting him. That said, he’s been a full contact participant since his latest ailment. Sources don’t have concerns regarding his availability as it relates to the current issue.

Catalon has a minor issue that’s not shoulder related. He was still out on the field tackling last night. Said one bystander, “he’s the last guy on the team you want to get hit by. He’s a muscled up cannon ball.” We’ll see if he scrimmages this Saturday. As comfortable as he is out there, I’m not sure he needs the work.

Ryan Niblett

The Aldine Eisenhower product with 10.4 speed is making some plays lately. He’s learning to transfer his elite speed and quickness to the field better while also showing good hands. On top of the aforementioned play from Arch he also made a few quality receptions to the surprise of some onlookers who expected it to be someone they were more familiar with.

At this point, it looks like Texas hit on all three 2023 wide receiver takes.

Miscellaneous 

“Texas has sooooo much more SEC size than before.” 

“Baxter has more lateral agility that I anticipated. Cuts much quicker than I thought.”

“Malik Muhammad ran some with the first-team D.” 

“Terrance Brooks is muscled up. No longer wiry.” 

“AD Mitchell had a regular 7 yard hitch route that he just whipped around and housed. He just blew by his guy.”

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This right here is the entire thing. Texas was a top 10 quality team last year before major roster upgrades in the offseason. Tom Herman also had some top 10 quality teams but the program has been held back by some really poor game day coaching recently. First it was a coach who was a narcissist who wasn't 10% as smart as he thought he was. Now it's a coach who goes straight deer in the headlights and admits to "writer's block" during games. 

The bad news is that rapid adaptive problem solving is largely an inherent trait. The good news is that the current coach seems to recognize his shortcomings and works to improve on them. Now we all get to find out if he has. 

Herman's disdain for 3 points and/or field position (particularly very early in a game or very late) was maddening.  Hubris, over-confidence , whatever it was , I really hope Sark doesn't fall in to that trap this year.  He had tendencies last year that way and that's how you let shitty teams hang around

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The offense’s goal was to convert 3rd and 8 with a 4th down at their disposal if they didn’t convert. The offense didn’t convert a single 3rd down but converted each 4th down.

Capture.PNG.09d44b01447158c6c7beed0d79899fc7.PNG

30 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This defense is going to try and kill me again.

200.gif

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

Jaray Bledsoe is essentially the third string 3-tech. Last year Vernon Broughton had over 200 snaps in that role. This year Broughton moves up to second string. You can expect Bledsoe to see a good amount of snaps this year. He’s still an interior lineman but has lined up at 5-tech when in a three-man front similar to Alfred Collins. The staff likes Bledsoe inside because he can just pin his ears back and play.

I'm assuming the 3-tech order is Collins-Broughton-Bledsoe and that'd make the 1-tech Murphy-Sweat-Mitchell, then where is Trill Carter?  Unless im wrong on something.

39 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

They just announced Nelly as the halftime act for the Big 12 Championship Game. Hopefully we make it

Yormark taking advantage of his "Roc Nation" contacts.  Guess the B12 is about to really turn into a WWE/Ringling Bros Barnum Bailey Circus production... 

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jaray Bledsoe is essentially the third string 3-tech. Last year Vernon Broughton had over 200 snaps in that role. This year Broughton moves up to second string. You can expect Bledsoe to see a good amount of snaps this year. He’s still an interior lineman but has lined up at 5-tech when in a three-man front similar to Alfred Collins. The staff likes Bledsoe inside because he can just pin his ears back and play.

I'm assuming the 3-tech order is Collins-Broughton-Bledsoe and that'd make the 1-tech Murphy-Sweat-Mitchell, then where is Trill Carter?  Unless im wrong on something.

Murphy will start at 3 tech with Sweat at 1 tech. Collins is a 3 - 5 tech. Murphy is 3 or 1 tech. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Someone just asked the IT livestream if we might see an 18 wheeler package with Maalik. The next question was about if it is realistic that Texas reaches out to Demas after the season. Society is doomed.

i understand that the super chats pay the bills, but those livestreams would be so much better if they took fewer questions from the peanut gallery.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I am pretty sure that Carter and Collins are the second group of DTs, with Murphy and Sweat the starters. Then depending on how they deploy Collins, that can make room for Broughton, Mitchell, or Aaron Bryant in the second group. Bryant and Mitchell would be more run pluggers while Broughton is the better pass rusher from inside.