FAFO?

statsman

How do you feel about this?

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/nation-world/98-year-old-german-man-charged-as-accessory-to-murder-at-nazi-concentration-camp/507-317572e3-a7e3-42fd-a55f-81397098df2e

Me, personally? I enjoy seeing the authorities catch up to ancient ex-Nazis who perhaps thought they had escaped their crimes, or maybe thought no one cared and it didn’t matter any more. 

I also like when they catch ancient murderers and rapists, who similarly thought they were in the clear. 

Do you think they believe that staying out of trouble for a few decades cleaned their slate?

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

How the fuck has he remained free/alive for 70 years without previous arrest?

from about 1955 (after the last of the Stalingrad prisoners returned - btw 200k captured, 5k returned) until 1985 or so, German basically stopped their investigations.

They figured the Allies got the really bad nazis, kept a lot of them in jail for 5-20 years (life in the case of Hess) and that the world had moved on, Germany said they were sorry and there was no need for prosecutions.

It wasnt until '85 or so that German prosecutors realized they still had all the investigation files along with the assigned soldiers to each camp.  Took the Germans years to cross ref which soldiers lived, where they ended up, were in they in a position of power over prisoners at all, and then finding specific examples of when the guards/soldiers/officers/random SS guys gave the kill order of someone and it was acted upon.   and then finding enough living witnesses to testify.

so many of the jewish witnesses moved to Israel, it wasnt until they returned on visits 30,40 years later that the Germans even knew they had survivors of confirmed atrocities that hadnt already been investigated.  

More of that research started happening after John Demjanjuk got deported to Israel in 86 ( that trial lasted 18 months)

• Hook 'Em 3

I think humans have a tremendous ability to forgive…themselves. 

Im sure a lot of these dudes convinced themselves at the time that they were patriots, that they were following orders like good soldiers, that they could make up for it by living good lives. 

Sorry. Those were innocent people that were tortured and killed. Part of truly repenting is wanting to atone. In light of that, arresting this dude is doing him a favor. 

That said, Germany really struggles processing the Holocaust. Over 30 years ago, when “Hitler’s Willing Executioners” (a history book that laid out how popular the Holocaust actually was with most Germans, and not just something that senior Nazis pushed through on their own), the nation had a fit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, statsman said:

I think humans have a tremendous ability to forgive…themselves. 

Im sure a lot of these dudes convinced themselves at the time that they were patriots, that they were following orders like good soldiers, that they could make up for it by living good lives. 

Sorry. Those were innocent people that were tortured and killed. Part of truly repenting is wanting to atone. In light of that, arresting this dude is doing him a favor. 

GettyImages_1294943388.0.webp

Interesting - so if he was 17 or 18 in 1943 when he perpetrated the crimes, then he was 7 or 8 when Hitler rose to power. The article states that he would be tried as a juvenile due to his age at the time.

So this guy knew nothing but Hitler during his childhood and adolescence. I wonder if his parents were Nazis?

One of my fears about MAGA is how parents are poisoning their children’s minds.

My childhood babysitter was Walter Cronkite; sadly a whole generation of toddlers had one of Rupert’s talking heads programming them during the pre-supper hour.

• Hook 'Em 1

For a 98 year old who was pushed into this as a juvenile, I support trying him in open court. Germany doesn’t execute people and prison might kill him too early. 

I would let him stay at home or hospice or the old folks home under the condition that he must wear this, 24/7. The triangle or star of Judah replaced by a swastika badge. Let that be how family and friends see you and remember you. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a55a1d82dbe1674868782636580c2eb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

from about 1955 (after the last of the Stalingrad prisoners returned - btw 200k captured, 5k returned) until 1985 or so, German basically stopped their investigations.

They figured the Allies got the really bad nazis, kept a lot of them in jail for 5-20 years (life in the case of Hess) and that the world had moved on, Germany said they were sorry and there was no need for prosecutions.

It wasnt until '85 or so that German prosecutors realized they still had all the investigation files along with the assigned soldiers to each camp.  Took the Germans years to cross ref which soldiers lived, where they ended up, were in they in a position of power over prisoners at all, and then finding specific examples of when the guards/soldiers/officers/random SS guys gave the kill order of someone and it was acted upon.   and then finding enough living witnesses to testify.

so many of the jewish witnesses moved to Israel, it wasnt until they returned on visits 30,40 years later that the Germans even knew they had survivors of confirmed atrocities that hadnt already been investigated.  

More of that research started happening after John Demjanjuk got deported to Israel in 86 ( that trial lasted 18 months)

The Catholic church was also very helpful in diaspora'ing the Nazis to S. America (Brazil/Argentina, etc.) and other safe havens to lay low and reinvent themselves for some weird reason.

Edit to add links, because people who are ignorant think it's conspiracy anti-catholic to call them out for their pro-Nazism:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/25/nazis-escaped-on-red-cross-documents

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/pope-pius-xii-negotiation-hitler-catholic-church/639435/

https://www.dw.com/en/the-ratlines-what-did-the-vatican-know-about-nazi-escape-routes/a-52555068

Edited by animaltobacco11
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, animaltobacco11 said:

The Catholic church was also very helpful in diaspora'ing the Nazis to S. America (Brazil/Argentina, etc.) and other safe havens to lay low and reinvent themselves for some weird reason.

Edit to add links, because people who are ignorant think it's conspiracy anti-catholic to call them out for their pro-Nazism:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/25/nazis-escaped-on-red-cross-documents

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/pope-pius-xii-negotiation-hitler-catholic-church/639435/

https://www.dw.com/en/the-ratlines-what-did-the-vatican-know-about-nazi-escape-routes/a-52555068

I wonder how much stolen art is in the Vatican archives. 

• Haha 1