2023 Houston Texans thread

Macklemore

33 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Lucky that Tomlin is a moron.

You serious? 

GM can't build an offense (Kenny Pickett and Trubisky?!) to save his life, and the coach that has never had a losing season is a moron?

You think he's calling the offense? 

• Hook 'Em 2

CJ Stroud is just terrific. A player’s success is due a degree based on where they land, and believe it or not Stroud landed in a fantastic environment. Ryans is outstanding and Bobby Slowik is a great OC. This team is actually fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Bobby Slowik is well on his way to becoming an elite offensive play caller. Pair that with a proven elite defensive play caller in Demeco with a franchise QB and we are in uncharted territory as Houston NFL fans. We have NEVER had a franchise QB with elite play calling going back 60 years of pro football in Houston. This is fucking exciting.

• Like 4

Houston appears to have a rookie who's already an above average QB. They need to go all out in the next three years to try to win it all since they'll potentially (assuming he doesn't regress or get figured out) have a good starter on a rookie contract, which should allow them to stack the roster 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, APMP said:

So what's the proper Surly etiquette in terms of waiting before bringing receipts? A few of us were Stroud truthers while others were worried about some bullshit pre-draft intelligence test lmao...

My asshole brother is one of those and I remind him frequently with a screenshot of a text he sent saying Stroud would be a bust on draft day. We can take it easier on @HtownHorn than I do my brother :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, APMP said:

So what's the proper Surly etiquette in terms of waiting before bringing receipts? A few of us were Stroud truthers while others were worried about some bullshit pre-draft intelligence test lmao...

An Ohio State QB once said, "We ain't come here to play SCHOOL!"

40 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

We have NEVER had a franchise QB with elite play calling going back 60 years of pro football in Houston. This is fucking exciting.

Whoa now...  In the 70s and 80s there were good QBs and passing was less of a thing. The offense was good.they just happened to run up against the best offenses and defense in the league in PIT.

In the 90s, there was this HoF QB1 and an unstoppable Run and Shoot offense. 

I will yield on 'Elite' playcalling if we can reserve elite and not say Slowik is that yet. 

But he damn sure schemes dude wide open. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don’t care if the Steelers are bad. That was a fucking clinic. I’m choosing to be very excited about Demeco and the staff. 

CJ is for real. 

The Steelers offense may be bad, but their defense is still very good with quality players at every level. They got bitched slapped today.

• Like 1

Just now, Slacks said:

Whoa now...  In the 70s and 80s there were good QBs and passing was less of a thing. The offense was good.they just happened to run up against the best offenses and defense in the league in PIT.

I will yield on 'Elite' playcalling if we can reserve elite and not say Slowik is that yet. 

But he damn sure schemes dude wide open. 

Bum was our best coach ever but I don’t think he was considered an elite play caller or very innovative. Jack Pardee and Gilbride were married to Run N Shoot inflexibility of having 4 WR every down instead of having more formation versatility. Glanville’s red gun offense was better IMO. Demeco can be our first elite head coach - in all facets from playcalling, to motivating the players, assembling a great staff, etc. Pardee was so blah as a personality and had to be forced to hire Buddy Ryan by Bud because his DC sucked.

Thank God that Demeco decided to come home. It would have been par for the Texans course before to have ended up with a Jonathan Gannon or Jake McCown. Those days are over. We have Demeco and CJ to take us to the promised land.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

Whoa now...  In the 70s and 80s there were good QBs and passing was less of a thing. The offense was good.they just happened to run up against the best offenses anddefense in the league in PIT.

I think that team is in Tennessee

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

They just showed Ryans talking to the team, and you can see that everyone in that room believes in what he is saying. When you believe in what the coaches are doing, you are a better player.

He was a leader as a player and a leader again as a coach 

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

They just showed Ryans talking to the team, and you can see that everyone in that room believes in what he is saying. When you believe in what the coaches are doing, you are a better player.

Ryan’s could slap some pads on and damn he’d scare some players on that field 

I thought 7 wins was ceiling for this team and I still think that is where they will end up mostly because they just aren’t deep enough yet. But I live where they are heading. They absolutely could win the division if they stay healthy, but it’s a long season. One good draft and a few good FA signings and they will be in the playoffs.

11 hours ago, Hate said:

I thought 7 wins was ceiling for this team and I still think that is where they will end up mostly because they just aren’t deep enough yet. But I live where they are heading. They absolutely could win the division if they stay healthy, but it’s a long season. One good draft and a few good FA signings and they will be in the playoffs.

The win ceiling was always higher than many thought, in large part due to a relatively easy schedule. Heading into the season, there appeared to be a lot of winnable games, and Houston just won two of what appeared to be the tougher games on it

• Like 1

Looking ahead to the draft, I'd expect the Cleveland pick to probably end up somewhere in the late teens to early 20s. There's a clear WR1, and then about a half dozen candidates for WR2* with no clear consensus. Over the past decade or so, there have been a lot of great WRs drafted in the mid-first to early second round, so Houston could have an opportunity to draft their WR1 with that pick. 

* Keon Coleman, Malik Nabers, Rome Odunze, Xavier Worthy, Emeka Egbuka

^^^

The more wins the Texans get, the less painful the trade capital they gave up to Arizona for the 3rd pick will look. There doesn’t seem to be an edge close to Anderson in the 2024 draft, or for that matter, a QB, besides Williams, with as much potential as Stroud. The Texans got 2 bulwarks at the most important positions 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Can we please just hold CJ out of practice until the Astros win the WS again? Some of us are old enough to remember what happened the last time a rookie QB for the Texans was tearing it up in October....

Does this story involve handies?

20 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Hopefully the worst of the injuries are behind them and they get healthier throughout the season. I am interested to see if the OL can gel without Tunsil, because they need to trade his ass and clear the $28M in cap room if they can get a 3rd round pick for him.

Bro you should probably lay off of player evaluations for a bit….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

All Pro and Pro Bowl are two separate things. He's never been an All Pro.

Good left tackles don’t grow on trees. There’s no reason to trade him right now, it’s not like houston needs to cut salary, and houston is no longer tanking 

• Hook 'Em 1

All Pro and Pro Bowl are two separate things. He's never been an All Pro.

Yeah, I thought he was All pro last year but he wasn’t. He was the best pass blocker last year. At any rate, there is absolutely no reason to trade him.
  • Hook 'Em 1