2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

31 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Watching this Rangers parade on TV it dawned on me that Jerry Jones, while publicly happy and celebratory as he should be with this sports brother here in town, has to also be wrestling with some jealousy and despair. I don't think he's going to be someone you want to be around the next day or so, especially if we lose to the Eagles.

Jerry doesn't give a shit about winning. He pretends to. If he really cared, he'd hire a GM and step out the way. Jerry only cares about his brand and his billions. He knows his team is one of the most popular franchises in the world of any sport. All his games get high ratings. While the other teams are winning since him, he can say he has as many in 4 years in the 90s and the other 3 have combined in the nearly 30 years since is. Jerry only wants to win one way and that's him being the GM with his hillbilly son. Otherwise, he wouldn't get the credit.

Nothing is ever going to change with his approach or mindset. "We love our players" is our motto. This 2023 draft is looking as bad as that special teams draft awhile back.

• Hook 'Em 1

All the other franchises have won a title since 1995. The Rangers also turned it around with a badass GM Chris Young. It has to be driving him crazy that DFW is talking about him since he has to know that the fans are clamoring for him to hire a GM.

Jerry is telling himself we won 5 since they came about in 61. 3 on my watch. Glad they finally did something.

If Jerry steps aside the GM will be Stephen. He’s got the most valuable franchise on earth. Draws more eyeballs on TV than an other team. He’s planning on a ring. He’s got the greatest qb he ever saw right now.

I don’t get the call for a GM. Most teams have shitty football GMs. I’d put Will McClay against anyone and he’s running personnel and scouting. Stephen grew up in the business and knows it; you might not like some of his decisions but they don’t come from a lack of experience.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jerry doesn't give a shit about winning. He pretends to. If he really cared, he'd hire a GM and step out the way. Jerry only cares about his brand and his billions. He knows his team is one of the most popular franchises in the world of any sport. All his games get high ratings. While the other teams are winning since him, he can say he has as many in 4 years in the 90s and the other 3 have combined in the nearly 30 years since is. Jerry only wants to win one way and that's him being the GM with his hillbilly son. Otherwise, he wouldn't get the credit.

Nothing is ever going to change with his approach or mindset. "We love our players" is our motto. This 2023 draft is looking as bad as that special teams draft awhile back.

Nothing would make Jerry more money faster than winning a Super Bowl.

55 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Nothing would make Jerry more money faster than winning a Super Bowl.

But he makes a ton of money regardless. It's one of those brands that is relevant and popular no matter what. He only wants to win with his hands all over the team, not sick back like real owners do and hire a real GM. That stadium also makes him money year around with all the big events that go there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

But he makes a ton of money regardless. It's one of those brands that is relevant and popular no matter what. He only wants to win with his hands all over the team, not sick back like real owners do and hire a real GM. That stadium also makes him money year around with all the big events that go there.

True, but none of this invalidates the fact that (aside from selling the team) nothing would make Jerry more money than winning a Super Bowl.

Is he 100% incompetent?

Yes.

Lacking drive/want to win? No

Cowboys talk all offseason about how they want to run the ball, but they have less of a running game than they did last year, Pollard can't carry any kind of load, there's no dawg leading the pack. 

They are way too dependent on Lamb. It's nice to see Ferguson get more action, and Tolbert started showing up a bit. But they really need a clear number 2 to draw a lot more attention, preferably a bigger receiver to compliment Lamb. 

Silly, sloppy mistakes cost them dearly over and over again, poor attention to detail. They aren't very creative, not enough tools in the box. Offensive line continues to be overrated.

Decent effort on the road, but sloppy as fuck. Penalties took over the second half. At least they didn't melt down like they did a couple of times before in big games. 

Edited by DougO

You can blame Dak all you want and i wouldnt blame you. But as always the question is who you gonna replace him with. QBs dont grow on trees. Look around the league right now, a good quarter of the teams are starting backups and third stringers. There isnt even enough QB talent to fill out all 32 NFL rosters right now. But sure, throw your starting QB overboard and start over blind. I'm sure it'll work.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:12 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Agree w/ Jerry's desire to make money hand over fist but I disagree with the premise that he doesn't want to win.  He desperately wants to win with all his being.  But he wants to make sure HE gets the credit, that's why he's still GM.  This goes all the way back to Jimmy leaving in the 90s.  Jerry doesn't want to share his glory hole with anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Bills didnt find a way. Should they get rid of Josh Allen?

The point was that Minnesota lost their QB they couldn't live without and won.  You make it sound like Dallas can't live without Dak.

The Bills game had fuckall to do with YOUR context of the conversation.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

The point was that Minnesota lost their QB they couldn't live without and won.  You make it sound like Dallas can't live without Dak.

The Bills game had fuckall to do with YOUR context of the conversation.

Minnesota played the Falcons.....they are starting Taylor Heinecke....im not sure what that has to do with the Cowboys honestly. Good for Minnesota. Go bet on them to make the playoffs.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Minnesota played the Falcons.....they are starting Taylor Heinecke....im not sure what that has to do with the Cowboys honestly. Good for Minnesota. Go bet on them to make the playoffs.

I just never agreed with the mindset of "we have to pay Dak.  It's the best we can do."

It still doesn't make a lick of sense.  Cowboys are getting their rightful payoff in that strategy, as well.  Jack shit.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

I just never agreed with the mindset of "we have to pay Dak.  It's the best we can do."

It still doesn't make a lick of sense.  Cowboys are getting their rightful payoff in that strategy, as well.  Jack shit.

It is what it is. I hate how QBs are paid too. It makes no sense that "well this guy got a great contract, so the next guy deserves even more. And they both make more than Mahomes". It's wacky shit.

Im still waiting for the first smart team that says "we'll pay you 15% of the cap, whatever that number is". 

Edited by Pam Cummings

The league is really showing its problems with the lack of development at the college level for QBs and offensive linemen.

The real path to a ring is defined with a decent QB on a rookie deal enabling a team to spend money on linemen and playmakers. Houston is perfectly situated with CJ and a wealth of Watson draft picks combined with a dynamic young coach.

Dallas is a complete mess. Dak is a $59m hit next season because when written they expected he’d be great and they’d roll into a new contract. They won’t cut him and Jerry will extend him at a $50m plus number. They have CeeDee and Micah 2nd contracts coming which will be monsters, but they have lots of other contracts that are money wasters. Terrence Steele’s extension was a big waste and he’s here two more seasons. Brandin Cooks, Demarcus Lawrence, Malik Hooker and others have big contracts eating money vs production. Pollard is likely gone. The team was built to win this year and needs to do it as it gets ugly next season.

It’s problematic for other teams. Giants paid big money to Daniel jones. He’s likely out for the season with a knee. Rams are dealing with it.

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Agree w/ Jerry's desire to make money hand over fist but I disagree with the premise that he doesn't want to win.  He desperately wants to win with all his being.  But he wants to make sure HE gets the credit, that's why he's still GM.  This goes all the way back to Jimmy leaving in the 90s.  Jerry doesn't want to share his glory hole with anyone. 

Yeah for sure. He wants to win ONLY with him calling the shots. But there in lies the never ending cycle we have. We can't win with his circus family running the roster construction and management. This is why owners are usually separate from the rosters. It's why GM's exist. And they answer to the owners so their job is tied to how successful they are in handling the roster. But we don't have that here.

So that is why I say Jerry isn't really serious in winning. If he was, he would give up all GM responsibilities. His son, too. Any of his family. This guy calls his grandson and asks him for advice on a draft pick. Not even The Onion can make up this shit we deal with as Cowboys fans.

There was absolutely no reason to extend Terrence Steele. He's getting paid as a very good OL. And he's not. He's pretty bad. Slow, soft and weak. He's a big reason why this OL is subpar these days. Our QB has zero protection on that side.

Year by year, my give a fuck meter for this franchise goes down. I watched the 2nd half of the game, they blew it in Cowboys fashion, I shook my head and turned off the tv. Their wins don't give me as much joy and their losses don't really phase me as much. Jerry has ruined my Cowboys fandom. Still enjoy watching the NFL, though. He won't ruin that because the league produces a very good product.

Edited by Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

You can blame Dak all you want and i wouldnt blame you. But as always the question is who you gonna replace him with.

This is what I keep saying. Dak is a top 12-15ish starting NFL qb. Not many teams can get that transformative qb that carries a team on his back to championships. The only way to get one is basically get lucky. The top drafted qbs more often than not end up being that kind of qb, some completely suck, some end up being JAG qbs, some pretty good. Some get traded to Dallas for a 4th round pick a couple of years later to start over. Some start out looking like one of those, get loads of hype, then end up looking like Carson Wince bouncing around the league as a bust. Some have a couple of good years, tons of hype, win a few big epic games and then start resembling Carson Wince a little, then who the fuck knows

Teams can win a lot and even Superbowls without those trannsformative qbs. 

Get one? OK. Win a lottery while you're at it. Or put the best team together possible to support your halfway decent qb and fix everything you can around him.

• Hook 'Em 1

An the thing about Jerry only caring about money is bullshit. He cares about his legacy. He wants to win more than any GM in the league, but he can't get past his own ego, the need to be the one responsible for the wins. He spends money trying to win, and makes money gorging his ego, largely in attempt to try to win. But he wants to win for himself. He just sucks at it. He's a mediocre fantasy football owner with a real NFL team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, DougO said:

This is what I keep saying. Dak is a top 12-15ish starting NFL qb. Not many teams can get that transformative qb that carries a team on his back to championships. The only way to get one is basically get lucky. The top drafted qbs more often than not end up being that kind of qb, some completely suck, some end up being JAG qbs, some pretty good. Some get traded to Dallas for a 4th round pick a couple of years later to start over. Some start out looking like one of those, get loads of hype, then end up looking like Carson Wince bouncing around the league as a bust. Some have a couple of good years, tons of hype, win a few big epic games and then start resembling Carson Wince a little, then who the fuck knows

Teams can win a lot and even Superbowls without those trannsformative qbs. 

Get one? OK. Win a lottery while you're at it. Or put the best team together possible to support your halfway decent qb and fix everything you can around him.

Yeah there are definitely like 10 QBs id take over Dak. The problem is that it isnt realistic. I like when there's a plan. I like having things mapped out. "Get rid of Dak Prescott" isn't a plan.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

As a life long Cowboy fan it hurts me to say this. But the Cowboys are the NFL aggies. Pretending to be relevant. Achingly recalling championships from decades ago. Greatest "facilities". Massive and loyal fan base. Hiring a coach because he had won a Super Bowl with another team. Touting the talent level. Coming up "just a few inches short" in crucial moments. 

Oh well, we'll be great next year. 

• Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Horndog said:

As a life long Cowboy fan it hurts me to say this. But the Cowboys are the NFL aggies. Pretending to be relevant. Achingly recalling championships from decades ago. Greatest "facilities". Massive and loyal fan base. Hiring a coach because he had won a Super Bowl with another team. Touting the talent level. Coming up "just a few inches short" in crucial moments. 

Oh well, we'll be great next year. 

This is false. Cowboys are NFL Longhorns. aggy can only point to one championship and this was in the 1930s. 

Cowboys don't have to pretend to be relevant. They are relevant nationwide. They still get a huge allotment of primetime games. You have people say if they networks had their way, Dallas would play in every slot of the primetime games. Their games get monster ratings no matter what. They are never absolutely terrible unless they have a QB injury. 

What you described exactly describes the Texas Longhorns football team. Their most recent prime has been more recent than the Cowboys but that's it. As often as I see Cowboys mention the good times, we see Longhorns fans talk about the 2005 national championship game and memories. And all the what if games that could have changed the course of history. 2008 Texas Tech  = Dez Caught It playoff game. Both teams have a habit of finding creative ways to lose. Both fanbases think way higher of their teams and have unreasonable expectations so often. And it's always "just wait until next year". 

Cowboys and Longhorns both have a very strong brand and are hated nationwide, both in the media and fanbases. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah there are definitely like 10 QBs id take over Dak. The problem is that it isnt realistic. I like when there's a plan. I like having things mapped out. "Get rid of Dak Prescott" isn't a plan.

Right, even a  top 10 qb is hard to come by. But a lot of top 10 qbs probably aren't so much top 10 qbs, but they play for a team that knows how to use them to their effectiveness.

I'm not convinced that Hurts is any great shakes as a qb, but the fecals figured out a system that can take advantage of his unique qualities and cover up his weaknesses. I hate to say it, but their meathead coach is doing a good job figuring that out. Really good coaches are about as hard to find as elite qbs. The Cowboys aren't good at getting those, either, obviously.

Dak was a great value 4th round pick. Put him in San Fran and the fans there would probably be complaining that he can't get them past the NFC championship game.

Jerry is a great owner. And he has given most personnel power to Stephen who has grown up in the league as a personnel exec. Will McClay is the “professional” personnel guy that is courted every off
Season by teams needing a GM. The idea that hiring a completely outside personnel staff and expecting better results is ludicrous. Jimmy failed at it in Miami, Belichik is failing now. And every other team that has the professionals generally has worse results.

Dallas has had generally good drafts in recent years.the failures are usually their overreliance on homegrown free agents but Jerry killed the team with bad splashy fas that Stephen had to dig out of thru the years.

When they extended Dak he looked like he was moving into the top 5 range. He has declined in his thinking since his brother died and he broke his leg. Without a cap Jerry would spend every dime on player she.

After personnel the issue is coaching. Garrett was family. Mike is the veteran who’s been there. The team needs a younger voice with new visions like DeMeco.

It’s not going to change until the man dies.

Jerry is a great owner. And he has given most personnel power to Stephen who has grown up in the league as a personnel exec. Will McClay is the “professional” personnel guy that is courted every off
Season by teams needing a GM. The idea that hiring a completely outside personnel staff and expecting better results is ludicrous. Jimmy failed at it in Miami, Belichik is failing now. And every other team that has the professionals generally has worse results.

Dallas has had generally good drafts in recent years.the failures are usually their overreliance on homegrown free agents but Jerry killed the team with bad splashy fas that Stephen had to dig out of thru the years.

When they extended Dak he looked like he was moving into the top 5 range. He has declined in his thinking since his brother died and he broke his leg. Without a cap Jerry would spend every dime on player she.

After personnel the issue is coaching. Garrett was family. Mike is the veteran who’s been there. The team needs a younger voice with new visions like DeMeco.

Jerry is great at making money, but he is not a great owner. What part of the last 28 years of him being fully in charge tells you he is a great owner?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I wish we had a "random football thoughts that don't merit a thread" thread, but throwing to the sticks on 4th down is something that is kind of confounding to me. If Ferguson is a few inches further downfield we probably win the game. It happened on stoops jr's last play of bedlam too. And it seems like every week there are multiple examples of a 4th down play that gets thrown at the line and not beyond it.

Of course the obvious thought is "if you need 5 yards the route should be 6 yards deep." But there has to be a reason we seemingly see the routes come up short every week. My theory is that the plays are designed on timing of a certain distance and require a quick release that can't really be altered for an extra yard. The plays also are designed for a quick catch and to allow the receiver to turn up field immediately while on the run and hopefully with the defender a step or half step behind so you can at least get around and stretch for the first. I think maybe it works often and we only focus on when it fails. There just has to be a reason that "just run the route past the sticks" isn't the default for all of these teams in those situations. 

Edited by 'stache

He is a great owner. I somehow forgot the fact he is a less than mediocre GM. He changed the NFL financial model with the Fox TV deal, has shown the other owners how to monetize their brands, and made his franchise the most valuable on earth, even without a meaningful playoff game. He deserves his gold jacket for that.

His blind spot is he hasn’t fired himself.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

He is a great owner. I somehow forgot the fact he is a less than mediocre GM. He changed the NFL financial model with the Fox TV deal, has shown the other owners how to monetize their brands, and made his franchise the most valuable on earth, even without a meaningful playoff game. He deserves his gold jacket for that.

His blind spot is he hasn’t fired himself.

But there lies the conundrum. He is a great owner in that he maximizes the money for the franchise. He is a terrible owner in that he doesn't address the GM problem. Which is what an owner should do. He has already admitted Jerry the owner should fire Jerry the GM but he doesn't. Because his ego. Which do you equate more for being a great owner? I will call him a terrible owner because he allows the GM to keep cycling the same mediocre product without any accountability. He also hires shitty coaches. Jerry might have been a good owner in the 90s but he is no longer that person. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Last couple of minutes of any game where we are behind look like the fire drill in Kindergarten Cop. It’s pathetic. It’s doesn’t instill much confidence. Play a mediocre team with a lead we roll. Play a team with playoff aspirations and it’s a mixed damn bag. I never really feel “we got this and will win.” I no longer care if Jerruh “developed” the Cowboys into an even bigger brand. They were basically “America’s team”before he bought them. 27 years running with fuck all to show for it. Because Double J’s ego is in the way. Glory hole. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Last couple of minutes of any game where we are behind look like the fire drill in Kindergarten Cop. It’s pathetic. It’s doesn’t instill much confidence. Play a mediocre team with a lead we roll. Play a team with playoff aspirations and it’s a mixed damn bag. I never really feel “we got this and will win.” I no longer care if Jerruh “developed” the Cowboys into an even bigger brand. They were basically “America’s team”before he bought them. 27 years running with fuck all to show for it. Because Double J’s ego is in the way. Glory hole. 

More brotherly-hate-homecookin' ref fuckery happened on great plays (phantom-holding calls as soon as they saw Dallas made a great play, DPIs not called, etc.) that Dallas made yesterday, and if you listened to the Brad & Babe radio call of the game with the TV muted you'd be livid about it, too.

That helping-runner Bullshit has to fucking go, while I'm at it.  /rant

4 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

More brotherly-hate-homecookin' ref fuckery happened on great plays (phantom-holding calls as soon as they saw Dallas made a great play, DPIs not called, etc.) that Dallas made yesterday, and if you listened to the Brad & Babe radio call of the game with the TV muted you'd be livid about it, too.

That helping-runner Bullshit has to fucking go, while I'm at it.  /rant

There’s no question the refs have screwed us on occasion. No question. But at the end of the day, it’s not 27 years worth of screwing up our chances. In our presser today, Sark said our team can win in multiple ways. The Cowboys are the mirror opposite. Ref calls are just one facet of how we lose. We are quite content to screw ourselves mostly. But yeah, this season especially the calls in many of the games I have watched in the NFL and college have been nothing short of black out drunk egregious. And highly suspect. 

40 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

There’s no question the refs have screwed us on occasion. No question. But at the end of the day, it’s not 27 years worth of screwing up our chances. In our presser today, Sark said our team can win in multiple ways. The Cowboys are the mirror opposite. Ref calls are just one facet of how we lose. We are quite content to screw ourselves mostly. But yeah, this season especially the calls in many of the games I have watched in the NFL and college have been nothing short of black out drunk egregious. And highly suspect. 

I know Jerruh's schtick -- old hat to us. 

Once he won his drunken bets/boasts about winning a SB with Jimmy and then winning a SB with Bozo-the-Switzer, he decided he just wanted to make money and give lip-service to winning.

The Schoonmaker TD should have counted. The rules say "you have to survive the ground" in order for there to be a catch. So how the hell is the play over before he has survived the ground? He is falling to the ground as he is making the catch. And if he had dropped it at the end, it would have been an incompletion. There would have been no "his knee was down".

That rule was applied incorrectly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dallas trades away Cooper and now doing everything they can to desperately try and fill his void with cheap bullshit WRs. Even guys who haven't played in years lmao. Not to mention, they signed the scrub Gallup to a long term deal.

It don't make a shit. We didnt win when he was here either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

The Schoonmaker TD should have counted. The rules say "you have to survive the ground" in order for there to be a catch. So how the hell is the play over before he has survived the ground? He is falling to the ground as he is making the catch. And if he had dropped it at the end, it would have been an incompletion. There would have been no "his knee was down".

That rule was applied incorrectly.

If I remember the play correctly, it actually was ruled a catch. But the ball was not at or beyond the goal line with possession. He was in the end zone, but the ball was short of the plane. It looked correct after seeing the replay.

Edited by DougO

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

But if the ball comes out at the end it isn't a catch. Make it make sense. It's either one way or the other.

If he catches it at the opponents 40 and stretches the ball ahead to the 39 while in the process of surviving the ground, with knee down, where do they spot the ball? 

On 11/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Jones' biggest failure is hiring shitty fucking head coaches. There have always been good ones out there he could have gone after, but the shitheads he's hired since Jimmy Johnson left are epic failures that almost no one wants. I guess Jason Garrett might be an exception since someone actually hired his sorry ass, but he was still a mediocre coach. Fat Mike, is at best mediocre. You want to win in this league, get a really good coach. Fuck Jerry Jones.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

21 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

But if the ball comes out at the end it isn't a catch. Make it make sense. It's either one way or the other.

It’s two issues. Whether he maintains possession to the ground determines catch or no catch. The spot is a separate issue. What’s the furthest point he had possession while not being down? He had possession short of the goal line and didn’t get it over until after his knee hit. I thought it was an obviously correct call. Unlucky as fuck.

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It’s two issues. Whether he maintains possession to the ground determines catch or no catch. The spot is a separate issue. What’s the furthest point he had possession while not being down? He had possession short of the goal line and didn’t get it over until after his knee hit. I thought it was an obviously correct call. Unlucky as fuck.

It's just a rule that needs to be cleaned up. If the play is over when you have possession with a knee down, the whole "surviving the ground" thing needs to be gotten rid of.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's just a rule that needs to be cleaned up. If the play is over when you have possession with a knee down, the whole "surviving the ground" thing needs to be gotten rid of.

Possession and spot have always been two separate issues. What about a sideline play where the receiver drags two toes in bounds then hits the ground out of bounds? If he has possession when the toes are in bounds he still has to maintain possession through hitting the ground out of bounds. By your theory, since he has to maintain possessions through the ground, he's out of bounds and its not a catch. That's not been the rule as long as I've been watching football. Both situations seem pretty clear and easy to apply.