2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

Beebe is solid, high floor, but probably won't be a pro bowl type. Solid pick, but I'm not feeling this draft at all. Edge guy has high grades, but the Cowboys seem to draft an edge early every year that never pans out and is gone in a couple of years. OT is drafted on potential more than being a proven guy. It doesn't seem like they are checking off needs the way they need to. They're gonna have to have a big post-draft free agency bargain period. 

51 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This organization doesn't have a good track record when they reach for picks. Taco, Mazi, Schoonmaker, Kelvin Joseph, Nashon Wright, Trysten Hill, etc

If feels like every draft they have when they pick about 24 instead of something like 17 or higher. They tend to be shitty.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

They don’t have a 4. So it’s a ways until next pick unless they trade up. All that matters is their board built on their evaluations and interviews. Who gives a shit what Mel kiper says. And draft position only matters if they are busts. If they can play no one talks about it.

The reality is most of these players will be out of the league in three years.

The issue is this front office has a lousy track record in drafting LB's (last decade) -- Damien Wilson (he was okay for backup), Nzeocha (who), LVE (okay), Covington (nada), Smith (poor), Cox (nothing), Clark (maybe), Harper (gone), Overshown (TBD).  For whatever reason, they're pretty good at OL picks but terrible at LB in any round, so when you "reach" for a LB with this group, its natural, and frankly smart to have reservations..... that's all.  Parson was an edge, so let's not try and reimagine.  This front office group is above-average at WR and DE's/Edge but struggles with interior line.  Not sure who the evaluators are there.  Regardless, He has good height, and looks like he can move some.  It's weird, he didn't give up a TD in coverage in college but isn't considered great in coverage (good in zone, mediocre in man).  He's supposedly a good blitzer.  He has some natural skills with his hands where they played him at Edge some on 3rd downs, but not considered stout against the run.  To me, it looks like this is a 3rd down LB who may develop into more, but reservations are fine.  He's part oft he squad so we'll all hope he's the best LB since Sean Lee..... probably not.  Reads like he knows he can make an instant impact on ST:

May be nice to trade back into the 5th to get a RB.  Nobody wants to go in the season with Rico, Zeke and 3rd day guy.... They may have to sign a guy like Dalvin Cook.

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

This organization doesn't have a good track record when they reach for picks. Taco, Mazi, Schoonmaker, Kelvin Joseph, Nashon Wright, Trysten Hill, etc

The hit rate on selecting players that are projected around where Dallas takes them has been pretty good. Getting Beebe for free made this a pretty good draft so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The issue is this front office has a lousy track record in drafting LB's (last decade) -- Damien Wilson (he was okay for backup), Nzeocha (who), LVE (okay), Covington (nada), Smith (poor), Cox (nothing), Clark (maybe), Harper (gone), Overshown (TBD).  For whatever reason, they're pretty good at OL picks but terrible at LB in any round, so when you "reach" for a LB with this group, its natural, and frankly smart to have reservations..... that's all.  Parson was an edge, so let's not try and reimagine.  This front office group is above-average at WR and DE's/Edge but struggles with interior line.  Not sure who the evaluators are there.  Regardless, He has good height, and looks like he can move some.  It's weird, he didn't give up a TD in coverage in college but isn't considered great in coverage (good in zone, mediocre in man).  He's supposedly a good blitzer.  He has some natural skills with his hands where they played him at Edge some on 3rd downs, but not considered stout against the run.  To me, it looks like this is a 3rd down LB who may develop into more, but reservations are fine.  He's part oft he squad so we'll all hope he's the best LB since Sean Lee..... probably not.  Reads like he knows he can make an instant impact on ST:
May be nice to trade back into the 5th to get a RB.  Nobody wants to go in the season with Rico, Zeke and 3rd day guy.... They may have to sign a guy like Dalvin Cook.

The change to the kickoff rules is going to change the makeup of those squads. ST is the usual path to the bottom of the 53. It will be interesting to see what Fassel comes up with for KO returns and coverage.

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I guess we're just going to throw the ball 90% of the time.  No RBs needed

Carson was probably a better prospect than any of the RBs remaining on the board.  As pointed out Pacheco was a 7th rounder, Fournette for Tampa was an in season FA, Damien Williams was a nobody, Blount for two teams was undrafted.  Literally, your running back room can be pieced together.  Is it optimal?  No, but it's better than trying to piece together a secondary or offensive line.  Now, will Dallas be smart enough to bring together one they need?  Probably not.... But literally, for a lot of teams, RBs don't matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Breaking news: Fat Mike announces eminent release of his new "Barnstorm Offense" which will feature schemes so sophisticated and unstoppable that it won't require good players to implement. He developed the offense back when he was unemployed and evaluating trends, but has waited to "unleash" it until the time was right. "Who wants to watch a bunch of primadonas anyhow," he was quoted as saying... by someone... "It's more fun to watch a bunch of average players led by average players pulling together as a hard-working team... Kinda like a team of oxen or horses..." Also, "Put on your workboots. Next season gonna be a real hoe-down."

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no issues with the picks they made. I think they made yesterday’s picks and hit the bar and slept in since they didn’t have a 4. That was a long spell and if they were working the phones no one knows about it. Stephen said after being asked if he’d look at some more moves to get more picks. He said “you don’t want to get too cute.” Of course you don’t want your trade up and then reach like the falcons. But eagles and lions have been working hard and got their players or moving to add picks for next year.

This is the issue with the FO. I think he spent so much of his youth seeing Jerry make bad decisions that he is totally risk averse on drafts, trades, FAs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

While they’ve drafted to the positions of need, the only pick I like of the entire draft is the KSU pick. I’m going to predict massive busts. They got too enamored with athletic measurables.  Hope I’m dead wrong. 

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

While they’ve drafted to the positions of need, the only pick I like of the entire draft is the KSU pick. I’m going to predict massive busts. They got too enamored with athletic measurables.  Hope I’m dead wrong. 

Exactly what I discussed with a friend at breakfast today.  Beebe is only guy with a shot to start at some point this season. 

Opportunities were on the board for 2024 contributors in first 3 Rds that Cowboys ignored.  Went for higher potential and upside but also risks of low floor -- not the way to build a quality roster. 

Bust potentials are much higher...

Fuk

Edited by LTtxfan

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Exactly what I discussed with a friend at breakfast today.  Beebe is only guy with a shot to start at some point this season. 

Opportunities were on the board for 2024 contributors in first 3 Rds that Cowboys ignored.  Went for higher potential and upside but also risks of low floor -- not the way to build a quality roster. 

Bust potentials are much higher...

Fuk

Uhm..... unless injury, Guyton is 80% most likely your starting LT for game 1.  Beebe is probably your starting Center.  From there, they just didn't have many picks.  The 2nd rounder plays hard.... he'll be in the rotation most likley.  The rest of the guys or prove or lose it as most day 3 picks are.  The LB I'm sort of meh on but I think the Corner and WR are nice value, buy again, you're not expecting starter level contribution from day 3 picks unless it's s speciality player (punter, kicker, etc), it's amazing if they just contribute.  The issue for the Cowboys is they've had such an extraordinarily bad draft, that they needed almost a miracle in the draft to build confidence again.  Feels like a pretty solid draft.... it's just on the heels of one of the worst offseasons in recent memory.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Justin Rogers.  Didn’t we used to have a Jacob Rogers?  This version is a horrible athlete, even for the position.  This seems like a camp body play because we have no DTs on the roster currently.  

Yeah, since 1 technique guy Cowboys probably didn't want to outbid others as UDFA.  Not a ton of 1 tech players out there.

Not a fan of this pick... take a flyer on a different player.  

Just now, DougO said:

UDFA signings need to be fun. Not thrilled with this draft.

Don't get this take at all. Nothing flashy, but picked solid players at positions of need. No huge reaches. Sure, some might not make it, but everything is really a crapshoot. Will it be the greatest draft in team history? No. But I think it's really a solid, reasonable, draft. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We have no clue as to what calls are made and not. For every trade there’s probably 10 that fizzle. And I’m not one that whines about “reaching” within reason. Go get your guy. I remember there was so much whining about Frederick going late first when some folks had him high 2. Woiuld have been in HoF had he not gotten sick. Ravens take their guy.

That Trey Lance 4 pick really hurt this draft. So look at this draft as is plus Trey Lance. Jerry quit drinking.

Uhh zeke can be our center. If you take this draft and add a Rb in one of the picks
It probably feels better.

Go get some UDFAs.

All teams have a UDFA game. They’ll usually sign more of them than have draftees.

With only 7 rounds now it’s critical. Wasn’t that long ago there were 12 rounds. When I was a kid there were 17. So there are udfas that will be starters. Same as early picks that will fail quick.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

All teams have a UDFA game. They’ll usually sign more of them than have draftees.

With only 7 rounds now it’s critical. Wasn’t that long ago there were 12 rounds. When I was a kid there were 17. So there are udfas that will be starters. Same as early picks that will fail quick.

Time is relative but the Draft moved to 7 rounds 30 years ago. I’m getting up there myself, and 1994 doesn’t seem like a long time ago, but the math says otherwise. 😂

• Like 1

17 rounds?? When was this?

2 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

Think a lot of people are sleeping on Rico Dowdle, I like the way the kid runs.

He'll probably be part of the committee, but he breaks down a lot..... He needs to show he can handle 175 touches in a season, because he's never even had 150 touches in a season (maybe in HS)..... probably his upside right now.

Dallas 2024 draft gambling again on players upside potentials -- likely won't help the 2024 Cowboys' performance that much.  Seems like it's time for Dallas to just tear it down and rebuild

Sports Illustrated write-up:

Screenshot_2024-04-28-06-07-02_kindlephoto-4835071.thumb.png.fc11d2c7c39e3f878f5d2e519f0a6f29.png

Screenshot_2024-04-28-06-07-12_kindlephoto-4864184.png.e34f93448c78483093fc4582b7ed5042.png

Edited by LTtxfan