2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

Guys like Rasheen Ali were available in the fifth round. Not sure what their plan is when you could have taken a quality back that late in the draft. Outside of not taking a RB everything else seemed fine. No big reaches and trading down to get Beebe for free was solid. 

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Dallas 2024 draft gambling again on players upside potentials -- likely won't help the 2024 Cowboys' performance that much.  Seems like it's time for Dallas to just tear it down and rebuild

Sports Illustrated write-up:

Screenshot_2024-04-28-06-07-02_kindlephoto-4835071.thumb.png.fc11d2c7c39e3f878f5d2e519f0a6f29.png

Screenshot_2024-04-28-06-07-12_kindlephoto-4864184.png.e34f93448c78483093fc4582b7ed5042.png

Draft grades in general are fucking stupid. And this hot take is stupid even for draft grades. He is penalizing Dallas for taking high upside infrastructure pieces because the head coach is trying to win now to save his job. Would it have been a good draft for the Cowboys then to act desperately and mortgage away their future to fix one or two immediate holes? By this logic the Vikings must have had an amazing draft. 

Well run teams don’t take WR’s and RB’s in early rounds. They take infrastructure pieces. Unless you point out where Dallas reached in taking these players, I don’t see how it’s that low of a grade. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Sporting News grades...  Cowboys 25th

Grade: C

Draft picks: OT Tyler Guyton, EDGE Marshawn Kneeland, G Cooper Beebe, LB Marist Liufau, CB Caelan Carson, WR Ryan Flournoy, OT Nathan Thomas, DT Justin Rogers

Analysis: The Cowboys settled for Guyton in the first round after some more plug-and-play blocking-ready players were taken ahead of him. He likely will need time to be groomed as Tyron Smith's replacement. Beebe has a better chance to start. Kneeland and Liufau fit their schemes, but they did reach a little for both.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2024-best-worst-classes/95666a96709d1d94631633f5

There were a ton of RBs taken between their 3rd and 5th round picks. Guessing they liked one or more of those guys and when they were taken they just said fuck it.

I remain skeptical of the claim that you can just grab practice squad-level bodies and cobble together a decent running game. The Cowboys seem determined to test that theory for a second year in a row and I expect the same results. 

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Beebe is only guy with a shot to start at some point this season. 

Not only does Guyton have “a shot to start at some point this season,” but, both he and Beebe WILL start probably every game this season. Take a lap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

There were a ton of RBs taken between their 3rd and 5th round picks. Guessing they liked one or more of those guys and when they were taken they just said fuck it.

I remain skeptical of the claim that you can just grab practice squad-level bodies and cobble together a decent running game. The Cowboys seem determined to test that theory for a second year in a row and I expect the same results. 

Why are you skeptical when the theory has been tested and proved by several organizations year after year.  Now, if you don't think Dallas is smart enough or cunning enough to pull it off, then that's something else, but it can and has been done.  Again, it's not optimal but good front offices with veteran QBs can do it.  And I do agree with you, the sweet spot for RBs this year were in the rounds they didn't have a pick because they gave them up for Gilmore and Cooks.  When no one dropped, they followed their board.... Sucks, but that's what happens when you mismanage the front end of the offseason.  A good front office would wait until round 2 and then snatch up someone who may not be part of the future plans of another team for real cheap.... like Pierce or Raheem Mostert or Jeff Wilson in Miami.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Free Agent TE signed by Cowboys...

Brevyn Spann-Ford Highlights 🔥 - Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys

Supposedly a monster blocker.  I would say the TE room is taken care of.  Someone is probably out of a job.  I'm gonna guess Hendershot.

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm not sold Guyton will be a starter in 2024... may need at least a year to develop.

hope he proves me wrong.

I absolutely understand this concern, but I think they've put themselves in a corner.  I guess you could put Lang at C, Beebe at guard and throw Smith out at tackle, but they seem very reluctant to do so since they have an All-Pro with Smith at OG.  If Guyton is just terrible in pre-season, then this is probably what you get though.  I think Guyton will be given every opportunity to win the LT job, even if he may not be ready.  

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

"NFL Draft winners & losers 2024: Vikings part of strong NFC North showing, Cowboys among disappointments"

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-winners-losers-2024-vikings-nfc-north-cowboys/cf58bfec2216459017920e04

The Vikings depleted a lot of draft capital to take a QB who has limited game film. An act of pure desperation. But that’s “winning” the draft? If JJ is not a sure fire starter, that’s going to be one of the biggest flops in recent memory. But by all means, go ahead and call them a draft winner without even knowing if the future they just mortgaged was worth it. 

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

we have no LT and we just spent a 1st round pick on one.  Guyton is starting for better or worse. 

of course it won’t matter because Dak fucking sucks. 

Not true. The guy who posts the same gifs over and over and randomly bolds words said Guyton has no “shot to start at some point this season.”

The guy we took at the 29th pick, which most services had projected as a first round pick was not a reach. Our second round pick was projected to go in the second round. Our third pick was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. This wasn’t a classic Jerry Jones special taking guys before their projection because he just fell in love with them. 

I wish we had taken a RB with our second pick in the third round and found a linebacker somewhere else through free agency or trade. That’s my biggest critique. But we all knew OL was a bigger priority so I cannot complain about the first and third pick. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

43 minutes ago, futureman said:

we have no LT and we just spent a 1st round pick on one.  Guyton is starting for better or worse. 

of course it won’t matter because Dak fucking sucks. 

Yep, Dak chokes in the playoffs.  Chokers choke and he’s a proven choker.

The wide range of grades reflects the general stupidity of draft analysts as they all criticize. Yet a lot of them are praising the stupidity of the falcons.

Drafts are only rightfully judged three years out. Lots of folks criticized Frederick, Tyron Smith, and Zack for a variety of reasons. There were local beat writers who thought Jimmy fucked up by taking Aikman over mandarich. Thought Emmitt was a reach.

These days there are very few o linemen, especially tackles, who come in plug in Ready. The college game doesn’t prepare them for the speed, the complexity of blitzes, the multitude of blocking schemes, etc. you have to look at film for basic talent and attributes, brains and aptitude, interviews, attitude. I think Guyton and Beebe are what you look for, but until they play, and any other o lineman plays, you just don’t know.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

The wide range of grades reflects the general stupidity of draft analysts as they all criticize. Yet a lot of them are praising the stupidity of the falcons.

Drafts are only rightfully judged three years out. Lots of folks criticized Frederick, Tyron Smith, and Zack for a variety of reasons. There were local beat writers who thought Jimmy fucked up by taking Aikman over mandarich. Thought Emmitt was a reach.

These days there are very few o linemen, especially tackles, who come in plug in Ready. The college game doesn’t prepare them for the speed, the complexity of blitzes, the multitude of blocking schemes, etc. you have to look at film for basic talent and attributes, brains and aptitude, interviews, attitude. I think Guyton and Beebe are what you look for, but until they play, and any other o lineman plays, you just don’t know.

Interestingly enough, the historical data says you should draft OL in the first round. Those sexy WR picks? 

The guy we took at the 29th pick, which most services had projected as a first round pick was not a reach. Our second round pick was projected to go in the second round. Our third pick was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. This wasn’t a classic Jerry Jones special taking guys before their projection because he just fell in love with them. 
I wish we had taken a RB with our second pick in the third round and found a linebacker somewhere else through free agency or trade. That’s my biggest critique. But we all knew OL was a bigger priority so I cannot complain about the first and third pick. 

Yes cool. But the problem is the team has gotten worse since the playoff loss. If we were adding to that team then this might be all good. But we let Tyron walk and Stephon walk and pollard walk and so on and so fucking forth. We got demolished by Green Bay because we had no diggs and no lbers. We should be getting diggs back, adding cooper, and adding Beebe to last years team. Next year is gonna suck, and we’re “all in” on that for sure. Which is cool, just expect it. Let’s let Dak and McCarthy walk, bring in belicheck, and go to a model where we pay all players but QBs. Keep a qb on a rookie deal then let him walk or trade him for picks when he’s good. Fuck it
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Interestingly enough, the historical data says you should draft OL in the first round. Those sexy WR picks? 

Hit rate based solely on 2nd contract is silly. How many of those players were really good, and left as free agents because they were in demand?

unless there’s also data somewhere that says OL move teams is big free agents as often as wrs do. 

On 4/26/2024 at 7:49 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Draftniks consider this a reach..... 4/5 round grade by most.  I haven't seen enough of him to wage an opinion....

Seems to lack explosion.  Isn't really a hammer.... meh.  

That was the opinion on our boards.  Marist was good in certain situations but would probably still be available in later rounds. 

8 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Yes cool. But the problem is the team has gotten worse since the playoff loss. If we were adding to that team then this might be all good. But we let Tyron walk and Stephon walk and pollard walk and so on and so fucking forth. We got demolished by Green Bay because we had no diggs and no lbers. We should be getting diggs back, adding cooper, and adding Beebe to last years team. Next year is gonna suck, and we’re “all in” on that for sure. Which is cool, just expect it. Let’s let Dak and McCarthy walk, bring in belicheck, and go to a model where we pay all players but QBs. Keep a qb on a rookie deal then let him walk or trade him for picks when he’s good. Fuck it

What does any of that have to do with the draft? My comment was about the draft grade and analyzing what we did in the draft. 

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hit rate based solely on 2nd contract is silly. How many of those players were really good, and left as free agents because they were in demand?

unless there’s also data somewhere that says OL move teams is big free agents as often as wrs do. 

If WR’s are available that often for their second contract, it also supports not drafting them. Even if you assume everyone who is drafted is not a bust but simply leaves via free agency, it still supports the same conclusion. Offensive lineman are harder to find in free agency or they have a higher hit rate for the team drafting them. 

What does any of that have to do with the draft? My comment was about the draft grade and analyzing what we did in the draft. 

My point was that the offseason mismanagement forced the team to approach the draft differently. We took guys where there was some consensus that they belonged, for whatever that’s worth, but we should have been taking other guys if the team hadn’t created additional problems for itself like it did

11 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

The problem is and was the fat tub of shit on the sideline and the band of Jerry’s yes men he hired as assistants. Full stop. The players have been and continue to be in place. 

After 3pm CT Today, 2nd wave of veteran NFL free agent signings starts... 

The Cowboys and all other teams can start signing unrestricted free agents without compromising possible compensatory picks in 2025.  

For the Cowboys, April 29th holds a special significance this year, because they stand to get the maximum four compensatory picks in the 2025 NFL draft. Tyron Smith, Dorance Armstrong, and Tyler Biadasz will likely each bring a fifth-round pick, while Tony Pollard will likely net them a sixth-round pick.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2024/4/29/24143665/dallas-cowboys-second-wave-free-agency-bargains-odell-beckham-carl-lawson-dalvin-cook-trade-rumors