2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

4 hours ago, futureman said:

He's absolutely right, but that defense is soft too.   Dak is what many of us said he was, and the folks who said he was "the guy" were just lying to themselves.  The defense has looked generational at times, only to turtle like a motherfucker when they play physical teams.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

there’s a zero percent chance jerry lets micah get away and he will do whatever it takes to keep him.  I expect him to get $40MM/year this off-season. 

You know it’s fucking brutal when futureman doesn’t say anything bad about Dak.

when Dallas gives Dak $60MM/season in a couple years, that’ll slam the door on this playoff cycle for the next 10 years.

Dak ain’t the guy. Time to move on.

there’s a zero percent chance jerry lets micah get away and he will do whatever it takes to keep him.  I expect him to get $40MM/year this off-season. 
Micah encompasses what this defense is about. Bully the shit teams but disappears against the good ones. It's all fun and games when you are winning by 4 scores or more. Last night showed that it was all fools gold. Had they lost a close one, you could write it off and at least pointed to competing. Last night's performance as a whole just put a dagger in this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Micah encompasses what this defense is about. Bully the shit teams but disappears against the good ones. It's all fun and games when you are winning by 4 scores or more. Last night showed that it was all fools gold. Had they lost a close one, you could write it off and at least pointed to competing. Last night's performance as a whole just put a dagger in this season.

He’s a great accessory for the defense to have, hell for any defense he’d be a valuable asset. But he can’t be the corner stone you build your defense around. He’s an elite speed rusher and can play sideline to sideline, but when matched up against a physical opponent he gets overpowered pretty easily. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dak shows no fire, no leadership. (Gotta disagree with Jerry Jones calling him the greatest leader he's ever seen. LOL). He shoulda been sidelined mid-third quarter. Let him ride the bench, or better yet, put Jerry's sybian on the sidelines and let him ride that. Cut him off season. Tired of watching this goofball.

Of course the real problem is Jones and his elf, Fat Mike. McCarthy is just a bullshitter. Maybe that's why Jones likes him so much. He obviously convinced Jones that he should call plays. When he comes up against a good coach, he looks as though he doesn't know what he's doing. We need a real coach who can give direction to a real offensive coordinator. This fuck is a substandard after-market cog in Jerry's third rate football factory.

• Hook 'Em 1

Among all the other stuff, the OL situation is fucking insane. There are exactly 5 OL on this team that deserve to be on an NFL roster and like 4 of them have significant injury histories.

How the fuck did Jerry, Stephen, and McCarthy not understand that they must have a 6th and 7th guy that aren’t useless bums?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

That was brutal. Dak was never worth the money they gave him but according to posters like Drew, “it was his turn.” Fuck that. He’s even more limited than he was before his horrible ankle injury and his weapons aren’t good enough to mask his inefficiencies. CeeDee isn’t good enough as a #1 and Pollard will never be as good as Zeke’s first couple of seasons.

When he was effective his rookie year and well at any time he's been really effective it was because of his legs. When the defense had to account for him running it simplified the coverages and fronts he saw in the passing game. Now that the injuries have slowed him to the point he doesn't have to be accounted for they can run whatever coverage and rush schemes they want at any time and he isn't good enough to beat it. 

Honestly, they'll never do this, but the best thing I think would be to just go with Lance and get in the best possible draft position to grab one of these 1st round 2024 QBs and start over. They'll never be able to win with Dak taking up as much cap as he does and being as limited as he is now so go ahead and do a soft rebuild to get another rookie contract QB in here and go from there. This window is shut closed and boarded up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

When he was effective his rookie year and well at any time he's been really effective it was because of his legs. When the defense had to account for him running it simplified the coverages and fronts he saw in the passing game. Now that the injuries have slowed him to the point he doesn't have to be accounted for they can run whatever coverage and rush schemes they want at any time and he isn't good enough to beat it. 

Honestly, they'll never do this, but the best thing I think would be to just go with Lance and get in the best possible draft position to grab one of these 1st round 2024 QBs and start over. They'll never be able to win with Dak taking up as much cap as he does and being as limited as he is now so go ahead and do a soft rebuild to get another rookie contract QB in here and go from there. This window is shut closed and boarded up. 

Can't disagree with that. Seems like Dak's window closed with his gruesome ankle injury three years ago. I hesitated to state as much since he posted a pretty good statistical season in 2021 (4500 yards passing, 37-10 TD/INT ratio and 11-5 record) but lost to Jimmy G/SF at Jerry World in the first round. Losing Amari Cooper can't be understated. In hindsight, that's proven to be a pretty substantial loss. And the o-line isn't what it was. HOF QB's produce no matter the supporting cast -- in fact, they MAKE their supporting cast. Dak has never been that guy. He's paid like it, though. Time for the Cowboys to cut bait on #4 or prepare to suffer the perennial yo-yo from 8- to 11-win seasons with ZERO playoff success.

So what do you do to fix the Cowboys? Say Jerry and Gene have been abducted by aliens and Stephen has given you carte blanch as the GM to run the team while he and sibs look for mom and dad. No strings to keep Sterling or Roosevelt around.

I am taking a scorched earth policy to solve all big issues in 24.

1. Dak. He hasn’t been the same since his brother died or his injuries. He now plays very tentative and is just sucking worse each season. He counts $59m in 24 playing or $62m in dead cap. This was built because they thought they bury it in the third contract. I say cut him and eat the salary.

2. Parsons. He’s the closest we have to Hershel Walker. Trade him to someone like Carolina for their 1 overall with obvious other bits. They have a qb, need a defensive monster. He’s not worth a $36-40m contract.

3. Draft Caleb williams using his cheap rookie deal to cover the Dak contract.

4. Fix the o line.

5. Let Pollard leave.

First thing is fire the head coach/OC/play caller. McCarthy was always a system guy and got away with having Aaron Rodgers make him look good. He's a bloated, outdated fat fuck. His own "Texas Coast" offense has looked shitty from day 1, just recycled crap from yonder day.

They talked about running the football, but they don't seem to have followed up on it except when shortening the game in blowouts. 

Defense got exposed big time, as did the O-line. Not so effective when the hapless opponent doesn't hand you a three TD lead early.

First thing is fire the head coach/OC/play caller. McCarthy was always a system guy and got away with having Aaron Rodgers make him look good. He's a bloated, outdated fat fuck. His own "Texas Coast" offense has looked shitty from day 1, just recycled crap from yonder day.
They talked about running the football, but they don't seem to have followed up on it except when shortening the game in blowouts. 
Defense got exposed big time, as did the O-line. Not so effective when the hapless opponent doesn't hand you a three TD lead early.

While I agree they need a new coach, you have to address the contracts. No one in my view can fix Dak. Are you dumping him and his massive cap hit or extending him? There are really no other options. It has to be addressed first.

I would certainly fire McCarthy and Quinn. I’d want a coach in the DeMeco Ryan mold with an excellent OC and a proven QB coach for Williams.

6 hours ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

He’s a great accessory for the defense to have, hell for any defense he’d be a valuable asset. But he can’t be the corner stone you build your defense around. He’s an elite speed rusher and can play sideline to sideline, but when matched up against a physical opponent he gets overpowered pretty easily. 

SF was pretty masterful using Juszczyk to grind him down all game. He looked beat in the 4th quarter. 

SF was pretty masterful using Juszczyk to grind him down all game. He looked beat in the 4th quarter. 
That seems to be what Parsons does a lot in these games. He wears down pretty quickly. Not sure if he doesn't know how to pace himself or what.

He's due a massive contract. We give him that and we are going all in on this core. Which will never be better than SF.

Defense set the tone for this game. They took the ball and showed that we had zero idea how to stop them. SF could have scored almost 60 if they wanted.

This team has a lot to look at more than just replacing Dak. The whole defense is flawed. This OL is suspect as hell. We no longer have a reliable RB. WRs hardly get any separation. Head coach has probably reached his ceiling here and his play calling isn't working.

The never ending cycle of the Cowboys for nearing 30 years now. Mediocrity

We need a new coach and let them decide if they want to roll with Dak or move on. I love Dak but it’s not working. I still lean that coaching is the bigger problem but I’d let a new coach decide. I know Jerry would never let that happen, so just accept that we’ll never win shit as long as he and his family are running things, so for fucking ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

So what do you do to fix the Cowboys? Say Jerry and Gene have been abducted by aliens and Stephen has given you carte blanch as the GM to run the team while he and sibs look for mom and dad. No strings to keep Sterling or Roosevelt around.

I am taking a scorched earth policy to solve all big issues in 24.

1. Dak. He hasn’t been the same since his brother died or his injuries. He now plays very tentative and is just sucking worse each season. He counts $59m in 24 playing or $62m in dead cap. This was built because they thought they bury it in the third contract. I say cut him and eat the salary.

2. Parsons. He’s the closest we have to Hershel Walker. Trade him to someone like Carolina for their 1 overall with obvious other bits. They have a qb, need a defensive monster. He’s not worth a $36-40m contract.

3. Draft Caleb williams using his cheap rookie deal to cover the Dak contract.

4. Fix the o line.

5. Let Pollard leave.

You can do all that and it's like moving chairs on the deck of the Titanic.    Jerry, Stephen, Spaulding et al need to be blasted from the Cowboys organization.  JJ can print the fuck out of money, but he's toxic AF when it comes to football.

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

agreed on his mobility helping but it was mainly zeke ripping off 5 yards a carry to the tune of 1600 yards.  that kept the D honest.  he was never that accurate down the field and his vision is below average.  The guy was a top 10-12 type QB and now is trending to bottom half because the pressure is too much.  he can't carry a team.

McCarthy and the West Coast Offense will be the death of him.   sure he'll have a few games a season where he looks all world against BS competition but he has to have an OL and a running game.

• Hook 'Em 1

You can do all that and it's like moving chairs on the deck of the Titanic.    Jerry, Stephen, Spaulding et al need to be blasted from the Cowboys organization.  JJ can print the fuck out of money, but he's toxic AF when it comes to football.

You didn’t read my post. Jerry and family are out of the picture. The reality is this team will be Dak and Micah and a bunch of no names.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Anyone who expected this game to go any differently is just as delusional as JJ.

Didn't expect different, but hoped that this one time I was wrong. You could see it coming. Schedule is a bitch the next few weeks, too. 

Edited by DougO

I never thought Dak was any more than he showed in the field the last few years. That's why it was  necessary to invest in everything around him, interior line that they have neglected, a solid center to back up and take over in a year or two, guards that are young and worth a shit (Tyler Smith should be at tackle already and Tyron moved out or moved over), and an offensive scheme and game plan to get the most out of what you have. A bigger running back with some power and juke would be nice, too.

Then you have to figure out how to get consistency out of the defense. Dak sucks hard when the team sucks, but he can be tolerable when his supporting cast is awesome, which we haven't seen in a long time. If Seattle can look decent with Geno Smith, better coaching and more balance and consistency, Dallas could go pretty deep even with Dak and his limitations.

As far as contract, it's the NFL, and contracts are contracts. What looked monstrous a year ago looks like pretty average next year. And there's always another delusional team that will trade way too much for a washed up qb, like Russell Wilson. 

Edited by DougO

37 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You didn’t read my post. Jerry and family are out of the picture. The reality is this team will be Dak and Micah and a bunch of no names.

I read it, and I'm not antagonizing/ arguing with ya.  You can't just write them out of the story sans someone going Michael Corleone and finishing all family business of Cowboy fans.  He's never gonna die, until he does.  and there's gonna be plenty of stupid to follow up.

Just now, DougO said:

I never thought Dak was any more than he showed in the field the last few years. That's why it was  necessary to invest in everything around him, interior line that they have neglected, a solid center  to back up and take over in a year or two, guards that are young and worth a shit, and an offensive scheme and game plan to get the most out of what you have. A bigger running back with some power and juke would be nice, too.

Then you have to figure out how to get consistency out of the defense. Dak sucks hard when the team sucks, but he can be tolerable when his supporting cast is awesome, which we haven't seen in a long time. If Seattle can look decent with Geno Smith, better coaching and more balance and consistency, Dallas could go pretty deep even with Dak and his limitations.

As far as contract, it's the NFL, and contracts are contracts. What looked monstrous a year ago looks like pretty average next year. And there's always another delusional team that will trade way too much for a washed up qb, like Russell Wilson. 

Dak is Wilson, only without a ring or SB appearance..  You're just too fucking stubborn to admit it.

Dallas didn't get curbstomped because Dak sucks. They got curbstomped because their great defense was shat upon and made a laughing stock, and the OL sucked, there was no running game, and they relied on Dak to throw them out of the hole they dug together, which was never going to work. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Dallas didn't get curbstomped because Dak sucks. They got curbstomped because their great defense was shat upon and made a laughing stock, and the OL sucked, there was no running game, and they relied on Dak to throw them out of the hole they dug together, which was never going to work. 

Dude he does suck.  He cannot throw people open.  He's increasingly immobile.  The offense stutters with him.  This game wasn't an outlier.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Funny, I'm the one that actually made the comparison between Dak and Wilson. Wilson is just older.

Not in the same context, at all.

Just now, slorch said:

Dude he does suck.  He cannot throw people open.  He's increasingly immobile.  The offense stutters with him.  This game wasn't an outlier.

Not in the same context, at all.

No, you just have shitty comprehension. I literally compared the two as washed up qbs that some other team would overpay for. Wilson has just already been unloaded and his former team doing better with a recycled average qb.

8 minutes ago, DougO said:

It was both. Defense absolutely sucks. They feast off junk offenses. This has been their MO for years. If they aren't forcing 5 turnovers, they have no idea how to win. You aren't going to force those every game. Can you reach down and win by making key stops, pressure the QB, get some key sacks? Negative on all that. But they are sliding under the radar because everyone focusing on Dak. Which isn't surprising. I am already on the train Dak needs to be replaced at this point. This is his 8th season. Nothing is going to change. He's had injuries the past 3 years after not even missing a snap in his first 4 seasons. He just isn't the same and any confidence he had is gone. Not sure who on the team still has confidence in him behind the scenes.

Our kicker is the only really consistent person on this team.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was both. Defense absolutely sucks. They feast off junk offenses. This has been their MO for years. If they aren't forcing 5 turnovers, they have no idea how to win. You aren't going to force those every game. Can you reach down and win by making key stops, pressure the QB, get some key sacks? Negative on all that. But they are sliding under the radar because everyone focusing on Dak. Which isn't surprising. I am already on the train Dak needs to be replaced at this point. This is his 8th season. Nothing is going to change. He's had injuries the past 3 years after not even missing a snap in his first 4 seasons. He just isn't the same and any confidence he had is gone. Not sure who on the team still has confidence in him behind the scenes.

Our kicker is the only really consistent person on this team.

I member when we were actually worried about our kicker...

• Hook 'Em 1

Swap contracts with Minnesota? Take Cousins and send Dak to the Vikings and somehow bring in JJ who is unhappy there anyway. The draft is loaded with QBs at least 5 that are game changers. We can get on of those fuckers.  Cousins seems like he’d like a change of scenery. Look I am not obviously a capologist nor am I good at math and I know none of this can happen but making some kind of moves now is something to think about. We likely won’t do anything so it’s a moot point but still. 

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Swap contracts with Minnesota? Take Cousins and send Dak to the Vikings and somehow bring in JJ who is unhappy there anyway. The draft is loaded with QBs at least 5 that are game changers. We can get on of those fuckers.  Cousins seems like he’d like a change of scenery. Look I am not obviously a capologist nor am I good at math and I know none of this can happen but making some kind of moves now is something to think about. We likely won’t do anything so it’s a moot point but still. 

I want no part of Cousins. If you are wanting to get away from Dak, you don't take someone who is even worse in big games than Dak. Cousins couldn't even beat Dalton or Rush in back to back years. He's a loser. 

You traded for Lance. See what you have in him. Doesn't hurt at all to see. This season is already a waste. We aren't going to magically become a contender as the year goes on. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I want no part of Cousins. If you are wanting to get away from Dak, you don't take someone who is even worse in big games than Dak. Cousins couldn't even beat Dalton or Rush in back to back years. He's a loser. 

You traded for Lance. See what you have in him. Doesn't hurt at all to see. This season is already a waste. We aren't going to magically become a contender as the year goes on. 

It sucks to think it’s a lost season since there is so much left to go. Sigh. I’d still like to somehow get JJ from Minny because having him as a running weapon would be awesome. I haven’t given up on the season but I see now that SF may be unbeatable. Like it’s not hey if we get another crack at them we will win kind of thing. I do think we can beat Philly. And this team can still win the division. I too am curious about Lance but it gives me pause as Shanahan did not want to keep him. He’ll maybe be like a Taysom Hill type deal or something. Might be too much of a project. I defended Dak for a long time and I like him as a person etc…but we’ve seen the ceiling. Romo should get more shit but doesn’t but I remember the Jessica Simpson shit and the Carrie Underwood shit and so forth. I did get to go to one NFL game my whole life and it was the Cowboys v Giants in Dak and Zeke’s amazing first year and thought cool. We got something. And it just never came together since. I blame Jerry because I have to find someone to blame and he is an asshole so it’s easy. 

Rumors are that LVE's injury may be career threatening or ending.  We really, really needed to address LB in FA.  It sucks that 3 of them (LVE, Overstreet, and Harper) have been lost throughout this season.  We're going to be reliant that journeymen like Malik Jefferson or whomever can really not only replace a slightly above average player like LVE but outplay them if the team wants to try and get better.  The defense has taken a huge step back with injuries and they needed some help in the middle (we've been saying for years) for forever......

56 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The draft is loaded with QBs at least 5 that are game changers. We can get on of those fuckers. 

People think that about the top drafted qbs every year. Only about 10 percent of them ever come close to expectations. If it were true there would be about 25 of those guys in the league instead of 3 or 4. 

Then you have guys drafted later that become stars or just really good productive qbs.

Everybody wants that superstar badass qb. Not very many teams can have one, no matter what they do, no matter how much they spend, no matter how high they draft. The odds just aren't good. 

You have to build a badass team and then hope to have a qb functional enough to not fuck it up, or you can win the once a decade lotto and get Mahomes at number 10 and let him carry your team when nobody thought he was going to be that blockbuster guy.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think 2024 may be one of those once in a blue moon type of deals for QBs. I truly do. It’s loaded. Not as many projects. Some pretty ready to play QB types. At least 5 imo. But it’s just my opinion. I wasn’t high on 2023 and at least a few of those guys are balling. Time will tell.