GJ Kinne: The next great offensive mind of CFB?

GreenspointTexas

5 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Did last years QB TJ Finley hit the transfer portal because this guy transferred to TxSt?

Yes. Apparently had no idea Kinne was bringing in another QB 

Yes.  He felt like Kinne ambushed him by bringing in a P5 starting caliber QB, so he hit the portal the next day.  Never mind that Kinne had been following the kid for a while and the WR coach had a relationship from both WSU and HS in Hawaii w/ him.  IMO, Finley got very bad advice from his NIL agent, who was all over TJ's instagram announcement that he was leaving.  Looks like TJ will end up at Western Kentucky - or at least that's where he's currently CB'd to.  Somehow I doubt he's going to get the $100K in NIL he was *allegedly* asking for there.

Edited by GJ Winne
  • Hook 'Em 1

This statement is a clear example of someone twisting the truth to make it seem like it's okay to overlook rape.

“First, Jayden never pled guilty or was convicted of criminal charges, and he recently settled a civil case from an incident that occurred in 2018 when he was a minor in the state of Hawaii,” Kinne said in a statement.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/article/texas-state-defends-adding-jayden-de-laura-civil-18617822.php

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Very disgusting and disappointing. I love San Marcos and have some close friends who are SWT/TxSt alums, so I was pretty excited to follow the Bobcats this past season and see them do well. I was hoping to stay on their bandwagon, but goddamn Kinne, that’s a bad choice and very bad look. 

On 12/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, Tex Long said:

Being 35 and having been offered by the Giants 18 years ago... very impressive for a 17-year-old. Reassign Milwee, and let's get this guy on staff now. 

That article aint right.  He didn't play any pro ball until completing his college career that included a first stop right here for those with memory problems.

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Very disgusting and disappointing. I love San Marcos and have some close friends who are SWT/TxSt alums, so I was pretty excited to follow the Bobcats this past season and see them do well. I was hoping to stay on their bandwagon, but goddamn Kinne, that’s a bad choice and very bad look. 

Kinne is not a good man

Not a great look.  But, bringing on a player like that, with a juvenile record (that's important to me), differs a bit from fostering an existing rape culture like Briles.

I am very much for giving people a second chance and, although that conduct is reprehensible, is/was a juvenile offense and we treat juveniles differently for valid reasons, both that they are not fully mentally mature and don't deserve to have their lives permanently ruined.

The kid better be given a short leash, conduct-wise.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/05/04/former-hawaii-high-school-football-stars-settle-civil-lawsuit-over-sex-assault-case/

JdL apparently plead "responsible" to sexual assault. So when Kinne says "he never plead guilty or was convicted" that is pure legal bullshit based on equivalent family court terminology.  So Kinne was legally correct and intentionally misleading. Allegedly JdL choked a 16 yo while his friend raped her. After his friend ejaculated he shouted, "It's my turn!" He admittted it in text massages to her. His punishment was to write an apology letter. In the civil suit settlement he admitted doing it. At least one TX State NIL refuses to participate in paying JdL. I hope this sites associated NIL would do the same re a Texas player.

So fuck Kinne. An heir to Briles indeed. 

Before we knew the transfer QB was a "civil choker and rape enabler - and perhaps rapist," it was pretty shitty management to surprise his existing starting QB by bringing in another guy.  It's even worse that you bring in a guy that Briles might have had second thoughts about (who am I kidding - Briles would have done it if he could get wins).  Whenever anyone uses the "was never convicted and did not plead guilty" defense for a guy who clearly lost a civil suit - and admitted it - something is really wrong.  OJ neither pleaded out nor was convicted, but he killed 2 people.  I, too, am off the Kinne bandwagon.

• Hook 'Em 1

More on the story.    Note that Latu,  the accomplice, was also permitted to remain and play for Wisconsin.    And that it is reported they pled guilty though the court records are sealed contrary to the statement by deLaura's attorney.   

Very sad case.    If there is a defense for Texas St, it is they followed the protocol at Wash St, Arizona, and Wisconsin.   It seems deLaura left Arizona because he missed the last 8 games due to ankle injury and the emergence of the 2nd QB Fifita who was P12 Offensive Freshman of Year.   Would be interesting to know how many teams recruited deLaura from the portal.

(excerpts)

Last fall UW-Madison officials became aware of the civil suit filed in the matter. Based on the information available to the UW-Madison Office of Legal Affairs and UW Athletics officials, the matter being reported that involved Latu prior to his time as a college student does not violate the UW Athletics Student-Athlete Discipline Policy, university misconduct policies, or reporting or disclosure requirements. Latu remains a member of the Wisconsin football team.”

The complaint states the girl, an acquaintance of de Laura and other players, attended the championship game at Aloha Stadium with her mom and friend and brought leis to give to some of the players after the game. The court filing, obtained by HawaiiNewsNow, said they were told instead to drive to St. Louis High School. The girl then received a text message from de Laura telling her to meet in the second-floor stairwell of the parking garage area because he needed to talk to her. The girl went to the stairwell while her mom and friend waited in the car.

According to the court records, the girl said Latu was in the stairwell with de Laura, who demanded she “engage in sex with the two of them simultaneously, immediately.” She refused, the complaint said. According to HawaiiNewsNow, the document says the players “physically overpowered her.” 

She later told her mother, who contacted police. The report described a text message from de Laura in which he admits the two players sexually assaulted her, and he “eventually apologized.”

Latu and de Laura were “charged and eventually pled guilty” to sex assault 2, the civil complaint says. The document doesn’t provide a date and states that “neither received any jail time pursuant to their guilty pleas.” The players were instead “required to write letters of apology” to the girl.

https://theathletic.com/4489270/2023/05/04/arizona-qb-jayden-de-laura-wisconsin-db-kamoi-latu-settle-civil-sexual-assault-suit-report/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Reminds me of Chris Collins.  https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/12/21/chris-collins

We call Gundy a lot of shit, but rape enabler tends not to be one of them.  He gave Collins a second chance that we wouldn't and when events conspired to take that away, Collins' life went to shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Before we knew the transfer QB was a "civil choker and rape enabler - and perhaps rapist," it was pretty shitty management to surprise his existing starting QB by bringing in another guy. 

As mentioned previously, it shouldn't have been a surprise.  The fans have known about it for weeks.  Not sure what the protocol is for consulting the QB that is holding out for NIL w/ one foot out the door about bringing in another QB.  Finley only publicly announced his intention to return about 2 hours before de Laura committed, and I suspect he only did that because he knew de Laura was coming in, and he'd have an excuse to leave.  

Damn sure wish Kinne would have brought someone without rape on their resume, but he had to bring in a QB, and it had to be a starting caliber QB because Finley had been [allegedly] saying he wanted $100K to stay*.  If Kinne does nothing and Finley leaves for greener pa$ture$, we're stuck with a RSF and a true freshman - neither with impressive offer lists.  It wasn't an option to not bring in another QB, because we can't have those two as our #s 2 and 3 either.

*Last season, Finley got the lion's share of a $50K NIL deal that was split between about a dozen guys, got a F150 to drive, and was getting money from some energy drink and Adidas as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yes. Apparently had no idea Kinne was bringing in another QB 

Fake news.

Kinne and his toadie OC have been Following and recruiting high level portal QBs for nearly two months.

They planned to upgrade over their Pick6 Statue, even if he had stayed. Moreover, Kinne knew in Nov. TJ planned to leave for NIL.

36 minutes ago, GJ Winne said:

Damn sure wish Kinne would have brought someone without rape on their resume, but he had to bring in a QB…

Only because Kinne screwed up the QB room to begin with.

Perverse incentives to play only “their guys”, at least two who are busts. Malik was a horrible decision, and wasted a roster spot.

TJ had four games with a QBR in the 20s this fall, single handedly lost the UTSA game and arguably the Troy game. Quit on his team at Coastal.

Almost cost the home game vs ULM. Led the country in pick 6s, fumble 6s.

Edited by Ghost of TripsRight

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Reminds me of Chris Collins.  https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/12/21/chris-collins

We call Gundy a lot of shit, but rape enabler tends not to be one of them.  He gave Collins a second chance that we wouldn't and when events conspired to take that away, Collins' life went to shit.

The Collins situation was messed up but the big big difference is the violence involved with the Jayden de Laura rape. De Laura also skated on a DUI while playing for Washington State.

https://universitystar.com/24868/sports/transfer-quarterback-settles-civil-suit-stemming-from-sexual-assault-case/

The victim is going to be traumatized for life but the rapists deserve a second chance at life by getting to play D1 football and attend college for free.

According to the civil case, “Defendants physically overpowered her, with Jayden forcing her to fellate Defendant Kamoi by holding her head from behind and pushing it down towards Defendant Kamoi’s crotch. At the same time, Defendant Jayden then forcibly pulled down Plaintiff’s shorts, bent her over at the waist, and began penetrating Plaintiff from the rear. Plaintiff was sobbing uncontrollably in fear and anger and Defendant Jayden began choking her to gain her cooperation… After Defendant Kamoi ejaculated in her mouth, Defendant Jayden shouted, “It’s my turn.”    The plaintiff confronted de Laura via text message after the incident about the assault and received messages admitting to the assault, according to the civil case. The plaintiff made a police report in December of 2018, showing the police the messages exchanged as proof of the assault.   De Laura and Latu were later charged and pled guilty to second degree sexual assault, but neither received jail time. According to an article from Hawaii News Now, which has been following this case, de Laura and Latu were “required to write letters of apology.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, torre said:

More on the story.    Note that Latu,  the accomplice, was also permitted to remain and play for Wisconsin.    And that it is reported they pled guilty though the court records are sealed contrary to the statement by deLaura's attorney.   

Very sad case.    If there is a defense for Texas St, it is they followed the protocol at Wash St, Arizona, and Wisconsin.   It seems deLaura left Arizona because he missed the last 8 games due to ankle injury and the emergence of the 2nd QB Fifita who was P12 Offensive Freshman of Year.   Would be interesting to know how many teams recruited deLaura from the portal.

While I don’t like it and it seems like a fairly questionable decision on Kinne’s part, this is where he will probably get some benefit of doubt for now. Not a great defense but something to be said for the fact that de Laura was deemed copasetic enough by those other programs to be on scholarship and start games. 

That being said it feels nasty and ruined the immaculate vibes around the program for the time being. Hope things work themselves out and de Laura is on the shortest of leashes if we are gonna be the ones to give him a chance…

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hadn't heard of Collins, or his story. That was a tough read, thanks for posting. 

6 hours ago, F250 said:

The Collins situation was messed up but the big big difference is the violence involved with the Jayden de Laura rape. De Laura also skated on a DUI while playing for Washington State.

https://universitystar.com/24868/sports/transfer-quarterback-settles-civil-suit-stemming-from-sexual-assault-case/

The victim is going to be traumatized for life but the rapists deserve a second chance at life by getting to play D1 football and attend college for free.

What the fuck is Wisconsin doing? Both of these guys seem like huge pieces of shit, but you kind of expect smaller programs to bring in anyone. Wisconsin though? Jfc

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, F250 said:

That's fair.  Although I'm not 100% sure we know the facts.  I doubt DeLaura has the money to actually settle a civil suit himself, so it was "directed" by insurance or some other party.  That type of thing doesn't always lend itself to the fullest revelation of the facts, much like a criminal plea bargain.

The DUI isn't a good sign, but he was acquitted.  Doesn't mean he's actually innocent, but you can't ask for much more than that.

12 hours ago, GJ Winne said:

Damn sure wish Kinne would have brought someone without rape on their resume, but he had to bring in a QB, and it had to be a starting caliber QB because Finley had been [allegedly] saying he wanted $100K to stay*.

At this point, do all the QBs left in the portal have a rape charge on their record? Or just the QB Kinne wanted?

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

At this point, do all the QBs left in the portal have a rape charge on their record? Or just the QB Kinne wanted?

I mean, what’s a coach supposed to do when they all have rap sheets amirite

Finley was arrested at Auburn less than a year before Kinne offered him.

Coaches have no options these days. Gun to their heads to perform.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of TripsRight said:

Finley was arrested for eluding police after a traffic stop for not wearing a helmet while operating a moped. He didn’t participate in restraining a woman, forcibly penetrating her, and then writing an “I’m sorry” note so he can play football again. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Finley was arrested for eluding police after a traffic stop for not wearing a helmet while operating a moped. He didn’t participate in restraining a woman, forcibly penetrating her, and then writing an “I’m sorry” note so he can play football again. 

You left out the “choking her to get her to comply” part. Allegedly. But yeah.

I never tried to equate the two. The arrests simply point to questionable judgment, in both cases. 

On the topic of judgment, in 2022 TJ pulled an “MJ Morris” (the NCSt QB who refused to play this past fall after he had participated in 4 games, to preserve a redshirt), even though Robby Ashford was having to play injured. Finley already had an extra COVID year when the NCAA took from HS players, but that wasn’t enough for TJ, I reckon’.

Oddly enough, he faked a hip injury towards the end of TXST’s game at Coastal, in the cold rain, which does not got his game, to avoid more bad stats and the “L”. (Dude was practicing the next day.)

Edited by Ghost of TripsRight
  • Hook 'Em 1

So much perversion of behavior. 

How much can we put up with before we return to banishment and get these people out of our lives?

Taking a look at similarities, here's a group which has only a few documented instances of domestic violence, but damn... 36 spousal abuse allegations, 7 arrests for fraud, 19 hot check accusations, 117 bankrupt more than once, 3 incarcerated for assault, 71 can't get credit card, 14 arrests for drugs, 8 arrests for shoplifting, 21 defendants in lawsuits, 84 drunk driving citations in the last year.

Wiscy? Utah? Auburn? Penn State?

Nope.

US Congress.

Throw the bastards out. No CR - we're talking American society.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So much perversion of behavior. 

How much can we put up with before we return to banishment and get these people out of our lives?

Taking a look at similarities, here's a group which has only a few documented instances of domestic violence, but damn... 36 spousal abuse allegations, 7 arrests for fraud, 19 hot check accusations, 117 bankrupt more than once, 3 incarcerated for assault, 71 can't get credit card, 14 arrests for drugs, 8 arrests for shoplifting, 21 defendants in lawsuits, 84 drunk driving citations in the last year.

Wiscy? Utah? Auburn? Penn State?

Nope.

US Congress.

Throw the bastards out. No CR - we're talking American society.

If all these Congress Critters enter the portal, I hope we are in on some DL prospects. Fetterman plays with a mean streak and MTG (though undersized) is a bulldog in the trenches. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas State loses WRs coach/passing game coordinator

https://footballscoop.com/news/san-jose-state-makes-bold-offensive-coordinator-hire-craig-stutzmann-ken-niumatalolo

San Jose State makes bold offensive coordinator hire

Ken Niumatalolo charts course for wide-open attack with Craig Stutzmann

Forgot that Stutzmann was mentioned in below tweet about TxSt new QB...  😬

• Hook 'Em 1

With any luck Stuntzmann takes JdL with him and we can pretend the whole sordid affair never happened. 

Tbh this whole shitshow makes me think worse of Traylor. He and Kinne are supposed to be close. But now I think maybe Traylor is the kind of east Texas good ol boy who is the type to think bad behavior is okay if it means winning more games. I hope Traylor told Kinne it was a bad idea.

Edited by CleverNickname

Jayden de Laura withdrew from TXST today.

Good News:  No more rapey QB on campus.

Bad News:  We have 1 QB on the roster.  RSF w/ no other FBS offers out of HS.  

Rumor that our stud WR Hobert may leave as well.  Both may follow Stutzmann to SJSU.

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

27 minutes ago, GJ Winne said:

Jayden de Laura withdrew from TXST today.  Good News:  No more rapey QB on campus. Bad News:  We have 1 QB on the roster.  RSF w/ no other FBS offers out of HS.  Rumor that our stud WR Hobert may leave as well.  Both may follow Stutzmann to SJSU.

Article for those interested...

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/01/24/sources-texas-state-drops-transfer-quarterback-jayden-de-laura?ref=article_preview_title

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:42 AM, Ghost of TripsRight said:

I mean, what’s a coach supposed to do when they all have rap sheets amirite

Coaches have no options these days. Gun to their heads to perform.

Dat you Kinne?

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

GJ just got an education about roster management.  He didn't read the room right by trying to bring in Jayden de Laura. 

It's better to learn this lesson at a school like TxState than at a bigger CFB job.

Also better to learn this lesson in January instead of over the summer, plenty of time to find another couple QB’s without off field issues after spring ball

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien

38 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Also better to learn this lesson in January instead of over the summer, plenty of time to find another couple QB’s without off field issues after spring ball

yeah, going to be a lot of transfers when the spring portal opens (5/1/24)

8 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Is Finley officially gone or can he still come back? 

Past the TXST enrollment deadline - last day to add a class was Jan 17.  

What's curious is that Finley announced he's going to WKU, but there's nothing from the school/football program yet.

Regardless, JdL was brought in to play over Finley because Finley is a cement footed pro-style QB and Kinne wants a dual threat guy. See: Cam Ward.  

Edited by GJ Winne
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, GJ Winne said:

Past the TXST enrollment deadline - last day to add a class was Jan 17.  

You can still get added until the 12th class day, and I'd suspect Pres D would bend that rule for Finley if he wanted to come back.