Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Binghamton? It's a school I respect for sure, but I don't consider it on the level of the rest of those listed here for that "oh you went to ____, nice!" factor.

Depends upon the degree.  Colorado school of mines doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but some of their programs are top notch (as one example)

• Hook 'Em 1

Humblebrag incoming.  Child was invited to visit Austin College for sports.  They don't do sports scholarships but, at least, forever she'll be able to truthfully say "I could have played in college."  

Anyone know anything about Austin College? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Humblebrag incoming.  Child was invited to visit Austin College for sports.  They don't do sports scholarships but, at least, forever she'll be able to truthfully say "I could have played in college."  

It’s in the middle of nowhere, has a crappy on campus scene, but solid liberal arts school and fantastic pre-med (and growing pre-law) program. Have a nephew who is a Kangaroo.

Net net, not even a decent school for social and college experience and well-roundedness, but good grad school incubator.

Edited by BeardIP

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

You won't have to worry about her getting laid in college.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

This was my claim to fame lol.

I was offered for baseball by the likes of Tarleton State, Dallas Baptist University, and Abilene Christian.

Dallas Baptist and Tarleton came with a little bit of money. Dallas Baptist was actually pretty generous but it was Dallas Baptist. It was basically a Baptist church with a baseball and soccer team. No thank you.

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Isn’t Austin College really expensive? Maybe that was part of the humble brag.

I’ve been proceeding on the assumption that a private school which really wants a student tries to get the number close to the cost of public school.

And if it’s a private school that doesn’t really want you, well f u Rice.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:24 PM, South Austin said:

You won't have to worry about her getting laid in college.

This is funny because the biggest sloot I knew in HS went there. She’s a successful lawyer now though. 

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2024 at 3:07 PM, BeardIP said:

and fantastic pre-med (and growing pre-law) program.

I can remember hearing this all the way back to the early 80s, but I wonder how true it is. My sister graduated from Baylor COM in the mid-80s and my wife from UTSWMS a few years later. Neither had a single classmate from Austin College. My daughter just graduated from medical school this year, and there were 4 other graduates from her public high school which would be borderline 2A/3A in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well it looks unlikely my kid is going to get into Ut, he's close, but not close enough. We are still trying to decide on his major in the next couple months and looking at other options.

So far it's UT, UC Boulder, Washington, Texas State and wait for it, Texas Bulldog Aggies. /Shivers/.

He's taking 5 AP classes next year, is a pretty good student but didn't work Pass Fail as well as he should have and lost some traction there. His freshman year was also subpar comparitvely coming off covid.

Varsity athlete quitting to focus on School and admissions process for senior year
And hopefully shadow various careers to rule out what he doesn't want to do.

School recs for academic level just outside UT?
Any ideas on helping him narrow a path?

I'll read through the thread over the weekend. But this shit needs to move fast, for applications in Aug.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Well it looks unlikely my kid is going to get into Ut, he's close, but not close enough. We are still trying to decide on his major in the next couple months and looking at other options.

So far it's UT, UC Boulder, Washington, Texas State and wait for it, Texas Bulldog Aggies. /Shivers/.

He's taking 5 AP classes next year, is a pretty good student but didn't work Pass Fail as well as he should have and lost some traction there. His freshman year was also subpar comparitvely coming off covid.

Varsity athlete quitting to focus on School and admissions process for senior year
And hopefully shadow various careers to rule out what he doesn't want to do.

School recs for academic level just outside UT?
Any ideas on helping him narrow a path?

I'll read through the thread over the weekend. But this shit needs to move fast, for applications in Aug.

Have y'all considered near by state schools that waive out of state tuition? My youngest didn't want to do the CAP program but wanted a flagship school and the "experience."

He ended up a biochem major north of the Red River. It's not something I like to discuss but my son is happy with his decision.

Depending on department, I'd put UDub above the others you listed.  @Beau Vine can surely speak to UDub and Texas State with some authority.  I haven't heard fantastic things about Boulder from parents who have sent their kids there recently, it's pricey and somewhat of a party school.  (My cousin did his PhD in AeroEng there, though, and raves about it, but that was almost 30 years ago.)

I'd look at some Big 10 schools -- most are good to great.  Michigan is probably a stretch, but Illinois and Wisconsin might not be.  Minnesota, Maryland, and Penn State should be do-able.

What majors is he considering?

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd look at some Big 10 schools -- most are good to great.  Michigan is probably a stretch, but Illinois and Wisconsin might not be.  Minnesota, Maryland, and Penn State should be do-able.

My nephew graduated from Wisconsin and described it as a "do not recommend." He was a Texas kid that didn't fully appreciate the light Texas winters compared to what he experienced up north.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

My nephew graduated from Wisconsin and described it as a "do not recommend." He was a Texas kid that didn't fully appreciate the light Texas winters compared to what he experienced up north.

Eh, my nephew is in the PhD program there now (MechEng out of Georgia Tech).  His brother graduated from there (Business) 5 years ago.  They both love it.  Madison is a very cool town, like old Austin.  I'd say it's tolerable for a short while.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Depending on department, I'd put UDub above the others you listed.  @Beau Vine can surely speak to UDub and Texas State with some authority.  I haven't heard fantastic things about Boulder from parents who have sent their kids there recently, it's pricey and somewhat of a party school.  (My cousin did his PhD in AeroEng there, though, and raves about it, but that was almost 30 years ago.)

If you aren’t getting accepted in state at UT, you’re aren’t going to make the cut out of state at Michigan today. Also, we toured it and were not fans of the campus layout. You don’t have the traditional campus setup like a lot of southern universities because of how the campus is laid out around Ann Arbor.

Illinois is definitely worth a look. Near the top of the Big Ten in all rankings, decent campus, etc. We pushed our daughter to really consider it, but it was too far away from her friends ultimately. We also looked at Purdue and Indiana, but location killed them. 

Florida is worth considering if you are just looking at academics. Suprisingly, Clemson is also worth a look. They have a pretty strong honors college.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

If you aren’t getting accepted in state at UT, you’re aren’t going to make the cut out of state at Michigan today.

I pretty much said the same in fewer words, but honestly, never say never.  It costs almost no time, money or effort to apply to most schools.  I've personally witnessed a kid who scored a 1590 SAT and had all A's with loads of AP and Honors coursework get outright rejected in EE/CS at UT, yet he received a full ride to Georgia Tech (arguably the equal of UT if not better in that major).

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I pretty much said the same in fewer words, but honestly, never say never.  It costs almost no time, money or effort to apply to most schools.  I've personally witnessed a kid who scored a 1590 SAT and had all A's with loads of AP and Honors coursework get outright rejected in EE/CS at UT, yet he received a full ride to Georgia Tech (arguably the equal of UT if not better in that major).

how is that possible? i must not understand the admissions criteria.

Edited by yoladu

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume you're referring to auto-admit?  It doesn't guarantee auto-admit to all majors.  If a Top 6% applicant lists a Liberal Arts major as their first choice, they're in.  Otherwise, maybe not.

One upside of my son thinking of a major that is not business or engineering.  Then again, not a major that will lead to a high paying job.  Eeesh.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume you're referring to auto-admit?  It doesn't guarantee auto-admit to all majors.  If a Top 6% applicant lists a Liberal Arts major as their first choice, they're in.  Otherwise, maybe not.

oh yeah, i get that.. i am just wondering how someone with that resume doesn't get into that major. I know it is competitive, but how does one do better than that?

Edited by yoladu

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

oh yeah, i get that.. i am just wondering how someone with that resume doesn't get into that major. I know it is competitive, but how does one do better than that?

Could have been a bad essay?  He attended a well-regarded private school in Austin, so maybe "private" played into it.  

At any rate, my main point is that there isn't always a clear rhyme or reason when it comes to admissions at top schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

image.gif.ac4b39acc7c419910879cc9e72fccee0.gif

I told this story on Shaggy about 11 or so years ago. One time my son got in a lot of trouble for pummeling another kid. When we confronted him about why he beat up this other boy my son stood there in his number 12 Longhorns jersey and blurted out "He kept calling Colt Cart McCoy." My then wife snapped at me for my reaction.

Looking back on things, I probably directed too much negativity on aggy and not enough on ou. We have a lot of aggy in our area and they are so easy to dislike. Mistakes were made.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

how is that possible? i must not understand the admissions criteria.

Not an undergrad comp, but a good friend of mine got rejected by UCLA and Texas for his MBA but got accepted to Columbia.

You just never know.

14 hours ago, F250 said:

Have y'all considered near by state schools that waive out of state tuition? My youngest didn't want to do the CAP program but wanted a flagship school and the "experience."

My daughter is going to Arkansas in the fall.  She was borderline at UT and got CAP.  Decided instead to go up there and enjoy the full college experience and great smaller town vibe. She is going to double major in Finance and Supply Chain.  Arkansas has a top-3 supply chain program in the country, I'm sure aided by their close working with Walmart and the many other businesses up there.

My son is at UT studying geology. In some ways I think my daughter will get the better college experience.

All-in, the price will be about the same for both of them.  Hit me up on DM if you want more info on Arkansas.  It is a great option if you want in-state prices and big college feel, but don't want to go Aggy or Red Raider.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I told this story on Shaggy about 11 or so years ago. One time my son got in a lot of trouble for pummeling another kid. When we confronted him about why he beat up this other boy my son stood there in his number 12 Longhorns jersey and blurted out "He kept calling Colt Cart McCoy." My then wife snapped at me for my reaction.

Looking back on things, I probably directed too much negativity on aggy and not enough on ou. We have a lot of aggy in our area and they are so easy to dislike. Mistakes were made.

I'm assuming your reaction was something to the effect of " OK He deserved it" with the possible addition of "I'm going to go kick his dad's ass too". 

My oldest, now the holder of a BS in Petroleum Engineering and a MS in Finance from UT, got in trouble for starting a "Longhorn Club" in 3rd grade, and not letting kids in if he didn't think they were smart enough or if their parents were aggy. We got a call from the school over this. 

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm assuming your reaction was something to the effect of " OK He deserved it" with the possible addition of "I'm going to go kick his dad's ass too". 

My oldest, now the holder of a BS in Petroleum Engineering and a MS in Finance from UT, got in trouble for starting a "Longhorn Club" in 3rd grade, and not letting kids in if he didn't think they were smart enough or if their parents were aggy. We got a call from the school over this. 

Did you tell them it was a misunderstanding by your son and that as the club was only going to be open to Gifted and Talented students you would talk to him about removing the "no aggy" restriction as it would be redundant.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

My oldest, now the holder of a BS in Petroleum Engineering and a MS in Finance from UT, got in trouble for starting a "Longhorn Club" in 3rd grade, and not letting kids in if he didn't think they were smart enough or if their parents were aggy. 

Today's dreamers are tomorrow's leaders.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

One upside of my son thinking of a major that is not business or engineering.  Then again, not a major that will lead to a high paying job.  Eeesh.

Daughter applied as an English major and got accepted pretty much everywhere. Others with higher ACT’s got rejected from the same schools. She is very involved and had great essays, but applying outside of business and a few other options definitely opens up more opportunities at the selective schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

My daughter is going to Arkansas in the fall.  She was borderline at UT and got CAP.  Decided instead to go up there and enjoy the full college experience and great smaller town vibe. She is going to double major in Finance and Supply Chain.  Arkansas has a top-3 supply chain program in the country, I'm sure aided by their close working with Walmart and the many other businesses up there.

My son is at UT studying geology. In some ways I think my daughter will get the better college experience.

All-in, the price will be about the same for both of them.  Hit me up on DM if you want more info on Arkansas.  It is a great option if you want in-state prices and big college feel, but don't want to go Aggy or Red Raider.

I know zero about Arkansas' academics.  But that part of the state, Northwest Arkansas, is beautiful.  A buddy of mine lives there because his company is a major Wal Mart vendor and that's his account.  I love to visit.

I am mid 40s. So the Arkansas rivalry never meant much to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

That is Outstanding.

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Your son is clearly a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.  Good job.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I know zero about Arkansas' academics.  But that part of the state, Northwest Arkansas, is beautiful. 

Yeah we went up to visit in the fall and she was sold.  It was an absolutely brilliant fall day with the leaves turning and the air crisp.  We never get days quite like that in the Austin area.

I'm kind of excited to see what Calapari does with their basketball program. It sounds like he is getting all the resources he needs, and he can certainly recruit.  They could be a fun team to follow during her four years up there.

Right now Arkansas isn't ranked very well academically... #178 on US News. About like Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Okie State, and K-State.  But I can see that changing in the coming years. There are a TON of Dallas kids that can't get into UT or A&M... or that miss out on their major. Kids in the 8%-12% range in their class. These kids are applying to Arkansas in droves, especially since the Oklahoma and Louisiana schools don't offer tuition matching.  The applications are up so much so that they are probably going to raise the standard for full in-state tuition for the Texas folks.  As UT and A&M keep getting more selective, so will Arkansas, and their rankings will go up accordingly.  

JMHO.

It's not just our area. You can't throw a stick in this state without hitting one of those dipshits.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Yeah we went up to visit in the fall and she was sold.  It was an absolutely brilliant fall day with the leaves turning and the air crisp.  We never get days quite like that in the Austin area.

I'm kind of excited to see what Calapari does with their basketball program. It sounds like he is getting all the resources he needs, and he can certainly recruit.  They could be a fun team to follow during her four years up there.

Right now Arkansas isn't ranked very well academically... #178 on US News. About like Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Okie State, and K-State.  But I can see that changing in the coming years. There are a TON of Dallas kids that can't get into UT or A&M... or that miss out on their major. Kids in the 8%-12% range in their class. These kids are applying to Arkansas in droves, especially since the Oklahoma and Louisiana schools don't offer tuition matching.  The applications are up so much so that they are probably going to raise the standard for full in-state tuition for the Texas folks.  As UT and A&M keep getting more selective, so will Arkansas, and their rankings will go up accordingly.  

JMHO.

Fellow Pig-bound dad as well…  My twins are also headed there in the fall for supply chain. One of them (top 11% and 30 AP hours) turned down a full ride at Tulsa and partial at others because of the Walton school ranking and the other boy decided TT was a smellier version of College Station and decided to follow his brother and room together than going to Tech. (Full disclosure, I got my MS Geology there but hated every minute after a BS in Austin). If it wasn’t for the SC ranking at Ark, both would have gone elsewhere. With the near in-state tuition they offer for top Texas students, the cost if you pay for everything is about the same as UT or TT in-state (but I hear next year going forward is going to be much more restrictive on getting this in-state discount.)

My “scholar” didn’t even bother to apply to UT as he was told that if he wanted McCombs, he needed to be top 3 or 4% in his high school (big 6A school with a district STEM program) when we did our Austin campus visit.  Had no desire to go the CAP route and risk a LA degree… He does hope to possibly get into UT for a Masters but Ark has a program where you can get you MS in 5 years and with AP credits, a MS in 4…

Old enough to remember the SWC rivalry but really liked the campus and “old town” next to it. Gonna enjoy the visits other than the trip from Houston… (House rental and tickets already in hand for the UT game there in November and I will be wearing burnt orange)

(Not sure a&m is getting more selective as my non-scholar - barely top half of his class - did get accepted to a&m but he only applied there because my wife’s side of the family is Maroon 3 generations back and only applied “for grandpa”…) I suspect he got accepted to Ark after being initially “wait-listed” there because they really wanted his brother but with a 3.7 gpa also gets the tuition discount…)

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

Hopefully your son is going to get his MS if he’s gonna stay with geology and wants to go O&G… (been there, still living it…)

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Fellow Pig-bound dad as well…  My twins are also headed there in the fall for supply chain. One of them (top 11% and 30 AP hours) turned down a full ride at Tulsa and partial at others because of the Walton school ranking and the other boy decided TT was a smellier version of College Station and decided to follow his brother and room together than going to Tech. (Full disclosure, I got my MS Geology there but hated every minute after a BS in Austin). If it wasn’t for the SC ranking at Ark, both would have gone elsewhere. With the near in-state tuition they offer for top Texas students, the cost if you pay for everything is about the same as UT or TT in-state (but I hear next year going forward is going to be much more restrictive on getting this in-state discount.)

My “scholar” didn’t even bother to apply to UT as he was told that if he wanted McCombs, he needed to be top 3 or 4% in his high school (big 6A school with a district STEM program) when we did our Austin campus visit.  Had no desire to go the CAP route and risk a LA degree… He does hope to possibly get into UT for a Masters but Ark has a program where you can get you MS in 5 years and with AP credits, a MS in 4…

Old enough to remember the SWC rivalry but really liked the campus and “old town” next to it. Gonna enjoy the visits other than the trip from Houston… (House rental and tickets already in hand for the UT game there in November and I will be wearing burnt orange)

(Not sure a&m is getting more selective as my non-scholar - barely top half of his class - did get accepted to a&m but he only applied there because my wife’s side of the family is Maroon 3 generations back and only applied “for grandpa”…) I suspect he got accepted to Ark after being initially “wait-listed” there because they really wanted his brother but with a 3.7 gpa also gets the tuition discount…)

i have twins, so i get your "scholar" / "non scholar" deal. Both equally smart, but each has a very different attitude toward school/the academic grind.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

i have twins, so i get your "scholar" / "non scholar" deal. Both equally smart, but each has very different attitudes toward school/the academic grind.

We figured both would go their separate ways for school but in the end, decided to not only go to school together but to room together. We’ll see how that works as one is the “party-er” and a slob while the other is the bookworm and neat freak… But both said that they would rather deal with the devil they know than get some “random” person in their room and hopefully will keep each other in line…

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

It's not just our area. You can't throw a stick in this state without hitting one of those dipshits.

The concentration has diluted over time as the area has filled out.

I remember the first time I attended a school event at SVMS and something was mentioned about aggy followed by an outbreak of "whoops" across the audience. It was unsettling as I realized I was surrounded by cultists.

Have you ever passed by this house?

Aeis782g1.thumb.jpg.a872f4062ccb629c400f62dccdeba3e4.jpg

13 hours ago, Grimas said:

Not sure a&m is getting more selective as my non-scholar - barely top half of his class - did get accepted to a&m but he only applied there because my wife’s side of the family is Maroon 3 generations back and only applied “for grandpa”…

I am sure it has gotten more selective, but part of that selection process is a HEAVY bias toward legacy applicants.  My daughter has zero connection to aggy (thankfully) and didn't even get into Team Blinn, despite being ~ top 12% from a highly regarded HS with a 1290 SAT.  My son was about the same (maybe a little worse actually) and got into UT, but did not get accepted to aggy.  I attribute this to an excellent essay.

Meanwhile they both have a number of friends who got accepted with significantly worse academic and extracurricular achievements with the only difference being that they have aggy family.

13 hours ago, Grimas said:

Hopefully your son is going to get his MS if he’s gonna stay with geology and wants to go O&G

He is still trying to figure out his direction. He has loved his geology classes so far, but hasn't made exceptional grades on them.  If you go to UT Jackson School, does it help your chances getting into their graduate program? 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Meanwhile they both have a number of friends who got accepted with significantly worse academic and extracurricular achievements with the only difference being that they have aggy family.

I know someone with a kid that fits this description that was accepted by aggy. However, they didn't get into Mays so there was some turmoil about just doing the L.A. thing or going to business school elsewhere.