Recommend some luggage to me

C-Man

I don't travel all that much but enough that I've finally decided my rag-tag luggage options no longer serve my needs. I have a fancy Tumi hanging bag that looks great but is a monumental PITA to lug around for any great distance in the airport. I have a small carry-on, soft-sided, 2-wheel rolling bag that was a freebie from Orvis (or cheap, I can't remember) many years ago and I have an old-ass monogrammed Land's End rolling bag that had a zipper chewed off by the Jack Russell I had before this one so it's old. Time to upgrade.

I think what I want is something with four wheels, is hard-sided and can be utilized as a carry-on OR a bag that is large enough that I don't feel stupid checking it if I don't want to deal with it -- or I'm 'smuggling' back Pliny the Elders from visits to see my son in Lake Tahoe in the next nine months. Willing to spend up to $500 so save your Tumi recommendations. I found this through the Googles last night: https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-bags/best-luggage-brands?utm_source=googlepaid&utm_medium=con&utm_content=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLk9lvBEgIDIUb50GF7zn5OX4js4yEj2LWNPgojgTe5hrD_9HWBSPHxoCZ3EQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=commerce-dd-Luggage_TravelAndLeisure_Desktop_CommSEM_DSA&utm_term=best luggage brands&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLk9lvBEgIDIUb50GF7zn5OX4js4yEj2LWNPgojgTe5hrD_9HWBSPHxoCZ3EQAvD_BwE#toc-best-overall-travelpro

22 minutes ago, b_p said:

Briggs and Riley.  Lifetime warranty and durable as hell.  I've used them (checked baggage) for years and do a lot of traveling.  Really good bags.

Huge Briggs Riley fan, but only worth the cost if you're a very frequent traveler. And if you can wait, wait for sales or clearances, it's pretty steep at full price.

If very infrequent traveler, just get whatever Costco has, warranty or return it when it gets broken.

I've been a Tumi guy for a long time, but my parents recently purchased a couple of hard sided Away bags and they are very pleased with them. They have taken them on multiple foreign trips and have great things to say about how easy they are to travel with. Checks all the boxes you mentioned.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Huge Briggs Riley fan, but only worth the cost if you're a very frequent traveler. And if you can wait, wait for sales or clearances, it's pretty steep at full price.

Any idea how often -- or when even -- I could expect to see a sale on Briggs & Riley bags?

I’ve always just night random shit at Nordstrom rack but a “friend” got me a 6 piece travelers club set a few weeks ago. It was regularly 300 but some clearance sale for 99. I avg 8 flights a month and it has been great although I have only used 3 of the pieces. I definitely recommend

We're a Travelpro family, decent amount of travel including semi-regular overseas flights.  They've worn quite well.  Have had a couple of bent extended handles -- they've been an easy DIY replacement (Travelpro sends you the part under their warranty).  That's the only wear issue we've had.  We're not fans of hardsided luggage, but I say that having never traveled with hardsided luggage.

For long weekends, esp. if flying discount carriers where they charge for anything you can't shove under the seat, my kids both have Baboon to the Moon bags - waterproof with backpack straps.  They can make a 4-5 day trip (maybe even a week, if they can do a bit of washing) out of that bag the small 40L size).

baboontothemoongobagreviewhero.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

We're a Travelpro family, decent amount of travel including semi-regular overseas flights.  They've worn quite well.  Have had a couple of bent extended handles -- they've been an easy DIY replacement (Travelpro sends you the part under their warranty).  That's the only wear issue we've had.  We're not fans of hardsided luggage, but I say that having never traveled with hardsided luggage.
For long weekends, esp. if flying discount carriers where they charge for anything you can't shove under the seat, my kids both have Baboon to the Moon bags - waterproof with backpack straps.  They can make a 4-5 day trip (maybe even a week, if they can do a bit of washing) out of that bag the small 40L size).
baboontothemoongobagreviewhero.jpg

What is so spectacular about these Baboon bags? Patagonia and REI make something similar.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno.  They knew friends who had them and they were useful.  I'm sure there are comparable ones out there.

Damn.  Oh well.  I was hoping you'd tell me something that would give them the edge.  I'm looking for something like that  for my niece and saw you mention them before.  :)

On 9/26/2023 at 8:56 AM, C-Man said:

I think what I want is something with four wheels, 

Long story:

6-8 years ago tired of my 2 wheel black travel pro. 
Decided I wanted new color. (Not racist). Got a travel pro (top priced model). 4 wheeler.
Gave it to the wife 4 weeks later.

Cons: Wheels were too good. Take my hands off it and any slope to floor and it starts wandering off.

Escalator and it wants to run away.

Less storage space than 2 wheeler. 

Have had 3 travel pros in 25 years and 2.25 million miles on AA and biggest issue was a bearing came loose and had to take wheel off and lock tite the bolt.  Too late now but used to get travel pros at luggage websites for about half retail. Don’t see those deals anymore  

hardsided (allum) spinner gang.

mine dont "run away", but they roll real nice.  they take very well to daisy-chaining, and also stacking a bag on top.  bonus is you can sit on them in a pinch.

for most folks i recommend just getting a wheeled soft-sided bag, from REI, so you get lifetime warranty no matter the brand.  or costco/kirkland.

On 9/26/2023 at 12:16 PM, b_p said:

Briggs and Riley.  Lifetime warranty and durable as hell.  I've used them (checked baggage) for years and do a lot of traveling.  Really good bags.

This is the way.

B&R to do the heavy lifting.  Saddleback leather carry-on for your side piece.  Handy in first class under the blanket.  The only way to fly.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, b_p said:

I had one I traveled the world for work with for five years. I’m talking literally circling the globe and third world airports kicking the shit out of it. It crapped out and they are sending me a new one under their warranty. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo

4 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

Outside of the price point but Rimowa is far superior to Tumi. 

Rimowa is now owned by LVMH and makes embarassing stuff like “Tiffany” special edition cases. Supposedly they cheapened the manufacturing too. 

Mine are from the independent era and probably last my lifetime

I've been super happy with my Monos Carry-On and my Tom Bihn Pilot. Both of them qualify as carryon / personal item on any airline and they hold much more than you'd expect.
https://monos.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/carry-on?variant=25396777680960
https://www.tombihn.com/products/pilot?variant=42965521465533

How do you feel about the capacity of the Euro-friendly carry on vs the US size? I usually only fly US carriers internationally but will be traveling more in Europe over the next few years and would like to not worry about having to check

3 hours ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

How do you feel about the capacity of the Euro-friendly carry on vs the US size? I usually only fly US carriers internationally but will be traveling more in Europe over the next few years and would like to not worry about having to check

We just did a week in the UK and I had plenty with those two, but no room to bring souvenirs or anything like that back. I'm a road dog, I can pack light but adding in something like rain or cold gear would push it pretty hard. Otherwise there isn't that much difference between the US and Euro allowances, not enough to mean much to me anyway. I loved being able to trust that my stuff wouldn't be challenged and I could always have my bags with me, no matter which carrier we were on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trubbaman said:

I've been super happy with my Monos Carry-On and my Tom Bihn Pilot. Both of them qualify as carryon / personal item on any airline and they hold much more than you'd expect.

https://monos.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/carry-on?variant=25396777680960

that monos looks nice

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, trubbaman said:

Tom Bihn makes high quality backpacks if you’re into that. Had my car broken into a few years back and was more pissed about losing the bag than anything that was in it.

Edited by tx ind
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

Tom Bihn makes high quality backpacks if you’re into that. Had my car broken into a few years back and was more pissed about losing the bag than anything that was in it.

Those backpacks are great, I'm just really over backpacks. I always had cheap, crappy luggage because I didn't fly that much but I finally decided to get something good. I had no idea how much better it is to have good luggage.