2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

This is exactly why I think he has high bust potential. Accuracy and decision making skills are the two biggest things you need to be a successful NFL QB. If he struggles with that behind that line and that dominant running game then you have to be concerned how he will do at the next level.

I do reserve the right to change my mind. If Michigan falls behind by 2 or more scores early against Washington and he can lead a comeback then that will go a long way towards doing so. 

If Michigan loses he needs to transfer to a place where he can air it out and develop as a passer. That isn't Michigan. Besides, Harbaugh is probably going to the NFL anyway so he won't be the only one. ;) 

FWIW I'm rotting for Michigan as they were my childhood favorite so don't think I'm hating on the guy.

I think his biggest problem is he knows he can thread the ball through the eye of a needle, so he just throws it. I don't think Harbaugh tries to rein that in at all he just tells JJ to rip it. 

JJ has 22 TDs and 4 picks on the year. 3 of them came against Bowling Green when he was literally just playing backyard ball. So it isn't like he is some turnover machine, he just occasionally says "fuck it I can make this throw" when he should probably throw it away.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I guess JJ depends on how well he can read a defense without knowing their play beforehand.

He seemed to do alright against bama. 168 QBR against a pretty decent defense. No picks 3 touchdowns. 

10 minutes ago, Juicy said:

He seemed to do alright against bama. 168 QBR against a pretty decent defense. No picks 3 touchdowns. 

dude as an Astros fan you're just going to have to learn to have a thicker skin and lean into the hate.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Assuming Alfred Collins is returning... Wonder how many Texas players will get drafted by the NFL in 2024 ???

1. WR   Worthy
  2. WR    Mitchell
  3. RB     J.Brooks
  4. TE     JT Sanders
  5. DT     T'Sweat
  6. DT     B.Murphy     
  7. LB     J.Ford
  8. DB    J.Barron
  9. OL    C.Jones

Others:  JWhitt (WR), K.Robinson (ST), Sanborn (P), K.Crawford (ST) 

Barryn Sorrell sure had a disappointing 2023 season.  Wonder what Jake Majors and Ryan Watts are gonna do.  

Any others that I'm missing???

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

First 18 spots are set:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-order-playoffs-2023-nfl-season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_NFL_Draft

(wikipedia has a cleaner list)

Selection Team Playoff result
1 Carolina Panthers (traded to Chicago Bears)
2 Washington Commanders
3 New England Patriots
4 Arizona Cardinals
5 Los Angeles Chargers
6 New York Giants
7 Tennessee Titans
8 Atlanta Falcons
9 Chicago Bears
10 New York Jets
11 Minnesota Vikings
12 Denver Broncos
13 Las Vegas Raiders
14 New Orleans Saints
15 Indianapolis Colts
16 Seattle Seahawks
17 Jacksonville Jaguars
18 Cincinnati Bengals

Some thoughts:

Bears have a decision to make with Fields. Even if they don't I think trading down is smart unless there's a player they are in love with and can't afford to miss. Might be able to stay in the top 10 and get another QB while trading out of the 9 spot.

Commies and Patriots will take QBs unless they have lost their minds.

I think the Cardinals is where things get interesting. They and the Chargers and Giants aren't going to be picking QBs (two due to ridiculous albatross contracts) so they and the two behind them should be able to get a team to overpay for those slots.  

Overall I think we see a lot of trades from this group.

Now watch everyone stay put and prove me wrong.

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Trade down with a team needing a qb, no brainier 

Yeah, not sure Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are really worth the #1 or #2 pick.  CW just seems pretty flakey and Drake Maye should have transferred to Bama to get better coaching.  

Gonna be interesting to see where Jayden Daniels and Pennix get drafted...  🤔

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, not sure Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are really worth the #1 or #2 pick.  CW just seems pretty flakey and Drake Maye should have transferred to Bama to get better coaching.  

IMHO both are (as well as Penix possibly) but it's that Chicago is in a position where they have a young QB who is in the last year of his rookie deal. They could just draft Harrison and call it a day or draft a QB and either trade him for more picks or just keep him and launch Fields. 

As for other teams - nothing would be more "on brand" than for the Jets to trade up for Williams and create the most toxic locker room in NFL history. 

CW is going the rare top rated QB that absolutely has to be flawless in the interviews and psych evals to get picked 1/1 by the Bears. He has all of the check marks scouting wise on the field, but there will be a ton of questions about his psyche and how will he respond to the game as a job and how well he can lead his team to be more than just the sum of their parts. If not they can trade down and ride and die w Fields or pick up QB2/3/4 at #9 (or whatever pick they get for 1/1).

I think he is mentally much better suited for the pro game and will be a rear good qb that doesn’t quite live up the to extreme expectations of being the next Andrew Luck type instant high level starter.

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

slide back and pick Quinn Ewers 

Troll Dancing GIF

• Haha 2

May not be popular, but I think Penix won't make it to age 30 in the NFL unless he is lucky enough to end up on a team with an offense that gets the ball out quickly.

His throw and duck behavior against Michigan won't play in the NFL.  Add on top of that his injury history and he's a high risk to draft early. Penix should slide back into the 2nd Rd unless someone trades up late in 1st Rd to get a 5yr option contract.

DeBoer and Grubb maxed out his talent and it's likely the NFL will turn him into "Not For Long".

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I assume this means Harbough is gone @Juicy thoughts?

The rumor around here is that it is either the chargers or Michigan. I guess we will see if the chargers put their money where their mouth is. Harbaugh will make 15 mil a year with Michigan if he does any of the following (beat O$U, Win the b1g or make the playoffs. So the Chargers are going to have to pay at least that to get him to make the move. 

Will chargers ownership pay 15 mil a year? Or will they take the cheap coordinator route and pay 5 mil a year. 

On 1/13/2024 at 9:04 AM, LTtxfan said:

May not be popular, but I think Penix won't make it to age 30 in the NFL unless he is lucky enough to end up on a team with an offense that gets the ball out quickly.

His throw and duck behavior against Michigan won't play in the NFL.  Add on top of that his injury history and he's a high risk to draft early. Penix should slide back into the 2nd Rd unless someone trades up late in 1st Rd to get a 5yr option contract.

DeBoer and Grubb maxed out his talent and it's likely the NFL will turn him into "Not For Long".

I think Penix is going to be a journeyman backup in the NFL. He will have enough talent to hang around for a few years as a developmental guy and his arm is good enough to make throws if forced into an emergency situation. I do not see him being a starter though. 

New mock from the maybe the best in the business

16. Seattle Seahawks: Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas

Disruptive against both run and pass, Murphy had the best pass-rush win percentage (19.6) among all interior linemen in 2023 (no other DT was above 17.0 percent). He will get dinged by some for a lack of ideal length, but then he’ll run in the mid-4.7s at 300 pounds and provide a reminder that he is different.

30. Detroit Lions: T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas

After being labeled an underachiever by scouts as an underclassman, Sweat changed several habits and put dominant-level play on his senior tape. For a player north of 360 pounds, he is an impressive mover with the natural power to shut things down up front. The Lions took a major step with their run defense this season, and Sweat would continue that focus.

33. Carolina Panthers: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

Based on NFL scout grades, this is a little early for Mitchell due to his lack of polish — he is a loose athlete, but his technique is also much too loose. If the Panthers don’t land a big fish via trade or free agency (Tee Higgins?), they might feel pressured to target a high-upside pass catcher.

56. Dallas Cowboys: Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas

This pick makes too much sense. With Tony Pollard a pending free agent, running back could be a need for Dallas. And even though Brooks tore his ACL in November, the Cowboys have never shied from taking risks, especially in the second round. Brooks was expected to be RB1 before his injury and still has a chance to be the first back off the board.

There is another layer here, too. Renowned surgeon Dr. Dan Cooper, the Cowboys’ head physician, performed Brooks’ surgery. No other team will have better information on Brooks’ recovery. I’m also told Brooks will be present at the East-West Shrine Bowl for interviews with NFL teams.

57. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

With some looming decisions this offseason, wide receiver might move up Tampa’s priority list. At his size, Worthy won’t have a high success rate on contested catches, but his vertical speed and ability to make crisp, sudden route cuts make him a tough cover.

60. Kansas City Chiefs: Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas

I doubt Travis Kelce is going anywhere anytime soon, but Sanders is more of a complement than a replacement for the future Hall of Famer. The Texas tight end is a big, smooth athlete who could help as a rookie.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Most mock drafts have Worthy ranked behind Mitchell, Sweat, Murphy, and Sanders as NFL prospects, and I don’t disagree with it. They’ll all likely be gone before the Texans and Cowboys second picks unfortunately. 

There's always the chance that a team drafts Worthy higher because they're desperate to get a traditional "Z-WR" with elite speed, and while this draft is loaded at WR, Worthy is probably the best traditional Z (if you ignore his deep ball tracking issues and the drops...)

If I was the Bears and got that offer, I wouldn’t be able to accept fast enough. If they like CW they could take him #1 and still have two top 10 (could trade down with one). Or if they don’t love CW, they could trade #1 down with the Pats, Giants, Vikings, or Broncos too. They have an opportunity to reload their organization with talent, and is Fields better or much better than Cousins, Mayfield, Russell Wilson, Mac Jones, Garoppolo, or anyone else they could sign off the street? I’d sign one of them, take #8 from the Falcons, and laugh. Probably why Kiper is full of shit. 

Remaining QBs in NFL playoffs:

Lamar Jackson: 1st round pick
C.J. Stroud: 1st round pick
Josh Allen: 1st round pick
Patrick Mahomes: 1st round pick
Baker Mayfield: 1st round pick
Jared Goff: 1st round pick
Jordan Love: 1st round pick
Brock Purdy: 7th round pick

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Most mock drafts have Worthy ranked behind Mitchell, Sweat, Murphy, and Sanders as NFL prospects, and I don’t disagree with it. They’ll all likely be gone before the Texans and Cowboys second picks unfortunately. 

Have to wait until combine hype gets added to the mocks or nfl draft rooms.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

What are your thoughts on these mock drafts this cycle? I feel like there is a ton of reaching at WR outside of Odunze and Harrison, JR. Calling Nabors "the most explosive WR in this draft" was kind of stunning.

Slighter/smaller WRs doing well in the league recently have given confidence in that archetype (which Nabers falls in) being more likely to pan out

Im not sold on the Oregon guy. Interesting that Coleman appears to be out of favor 

1) Caleb Williams
2) Jayden Daniels
3) Drake Maye
4) Marvin Harrison Jr
5) Brock Bowers
6) Malik Nabers
7) Joe Alt
'8) Dallas Turner
9) Rome Odunze
10) Olu Fashanu
11) Nate Wiggins
12) Laiatu Latu
13) Terrion Arnold
14) Brian Thomas Jr
15) Keon Coleman
16) JJ McCarthy
17) Cooper DeJean
18) JC Latham
19) Jared Verse
20) Kamari Lassiter
21) Troy Fautanu
22) Taliese Fuaga
23) Jer'Zhan Newton
24) Jordan Morgan
25) Kingsley Suamataia
26) Chop Robinson
27) Tyler Guyton
28) Adonai Mitchell
29) Troy Franklin
30) Quinyon Mitchell
31) Ennis Rakestraw Jr
32) Amarius Mims

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

1) Caleb Williams
2) Jayden Daniels
3) Drake Maye
4) Marvin Harrison Jr
5) Brock Bowers
6) Malik Nabers
7) Joe Alt
'8) Dallas Turner
9) Rome Odunze
10) Olu Fashanu
11) Nate Wiggins
12) Laiatu Latu
13) Terrion Arnold
14) Brian Thomas Jr
15) Keon Coleman
16) JJ McCarthy
17) Cooper DeJean
18) JC Latham
19) Jared Verse
20) Kamari Lassiter
21) Troy Fautanu
22) Taliese Fuaga
23) Jer'Zhan Newton
24) Jordan Morgan
25) Kingsley Suamataia
26) Chop Robinson
27) Tyler Guyton
28) Adonai Mitchell
29) Troy Franklin
30) Quinyon Mitchell
31) Ennis Rakestraw Jr
32) Amarius Mims

no Penix or Nix in the first round is certainly a take.

I don't see Penix, McCarthy, or Nix as first round talents. But, it only takes one team and wouldn't be surprised by any of them going in the first as teams love to have a QB on the 5th year option. I'd say my eyebrows would raise the most if Nix went in the first. 

14 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

I don't see Penix, McCarthy, or Nix as first round talents. But, it only takes one team and wouldn't be surprised by any of them going in the first as teams love to have a QB on the 5th year option. I'd say my eyebrows would raise the most if Nix went in the first. 

Nix is much more likely than Penix

Penix has medical concerns, isn't nearly as athletic as Nix is, and has a windup 

On 1/19/2024 at 3:47 PM, DixonHur said:

Interesting that they have Byron Murphy at 11 but no Sweat in the 1st round.  

Some NFL scout comparisoned upside of Murphy to Aaron Donald if he improves his pass rushing techniques...  Byron is strong as hell and quicker than Sweat.