2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

Purdy and ISU had some offensive skill talent. Breece Hall. Charlie Kolar has an ok NFL career thus far. Xavier Hutchinson is NFL worthy.

Based on mock drafts, the UM talent is not overwhelming. I’m sure their Oline guys are better than ISUs but Breece may be the most talented teammate of Purdy or JJ.

Those draft projections are bitter sweet. We’ve come a long way in the developmental aspect of our program. We had the horses to be champions. We were just missing elite players at premier positions like Edge, CB, Tackle(RT), and WR. Worthy didn’t look 100% that night in New Orleans. Maybe if we had drew a better matchup things shakeup differently. I think the most complete team end up winning it all at the end of the day. Michigans defensive line would have manhandled the right side of our offensive line.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Purdy and ISU had some offensive skill talent. Breece Hall. Charlie Kolar has an ok NFL career thus far. Xavier Hutchinson is NFL worthy.

Based on mock drafts, the UM talent is not overwhelming. I’m sure their Oline guys are better than ISUs but Breece may be the most talented teammate of Purdy or JJ.

I remember Purdy being a late first round QB take in everyone’s mocks draft the Spring after his sophomore campaign at ISU. If i remember correctly he lost a bunch of his weapons to the draft and forced a bunch of throws his Sr year leading to picks. If you watched him play you could still see he was a quality QB though, with a nasty pump fake. How did he become Mr.Irrelevant though? What happened? I remember when he came in mid season and managed a loaded 49ers offense the media lost their minds, it just didn’t shock me much. He was always pretty savvy and talented enough with pieces around him.

To some extent, all guys with NFL talent make business decisions. But Worthy seemed to be the most business decision guy I can recall in my 25+ years of following the Longhorns. Say what you will about Roy, but he was always first round talent but bled burnt orange and would put his body on the line to make tough catches, throw blocks, go after punt blocks. Worthy seemed more focused on the NIL bag every off season than improving or doing things to help the team, was “injured” a lot, disappeared frequently. He may have been protecting himself, but ironically probably cost himself from being a first round pick. 

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

To some extent, all guys with NFL talent make business decisions. But Worthy seemed to be the most business decision guy I can recall in my 25+ years of following the Longhorns. Say what you will about Roy, but he was always first round talent but bled burnt orange and would put his body on the line to make tough catches, throw blocks, go after punt blocks. Worthy seemed more focused on the NIL bag every off season than improving or doing things to help the team, was “injured” a lot, disappeared frequently. He may have been protecting himself, but ironically probably cost himself from being a first round pick. 

Ok, relax, there's a lot of revisionist history in this post.  Worthy sold out with his body a little too much for my liking.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He had issues tracking deep balls and making contested catches, but Worthy played injured for most of his career at Texas

• Hook 'Em 2

I remember Purdy being a late first round QB take in everyone’s mocks draft the Spring after his sophomore campaign at ISU. If i remember correctly he lost a bunch of his weapons to the draft and forced a bunch of throws his Sr year leading to picks. If you watched him play you could still see he was a quality QB though, with a nasty pump fake. How did he become Mr.Irrelevant though? What happened? I remember when he came in mid season and managed a loaded 49ers offense the media lost their minds, it just didn’t shock me much. He was always pretty savvy and talented enough with pieces around him.

I was thinking Kolar and Hall came out the same year and Hutchinson was still there. ISU was modestly above .500 his last year. Chase Allen was there too. Now, I think there a Oline may not have been good his final year.

Early mocks are likely based on stats, team results. When it came time to evaluate, I’d assume teams weren’t wild about his arm. Probably question some decision making.

There’s a ton of data available these days so the counting stats aren’t very useful. And it’s so much about the environment. QB is the most important player but also the position most reliant on everyone else. Teams get a Justin Fields hoping he can will them to victory, but it’s all about working within your system/environment to give the best chance at victory. That’s the reason I’m hopeful Caleb Williams falls on his face. Purdy is driving the bus but also throws in some excellence too, which is what you alluded to above.

I was merely interjecting that ISU had some solid offensive weapons with Purdy. NFL caliber type dudes. UM can go multiple RBs deep. ISUs depth doesn’t matter when Hall is getting damn near all the run. Yes, there’s value in depth but play for play Breece Hall was the best of those teams. Kolar/Allen are comparable to UM TEs. Some decent WRs. ISU will never match the depth of a Michigan consistently, but ISU doesn’t use depth so I look to their every down contributors.

It still doesn’t really add up. The ‘22 QB draft class was one of the weaker in recent memory. Purdy was Big12 freshman of the year. Two-Time All Big12, first team his Jr year. Two time Davey O’Brien finalist. He had three years of really great tape. Pickett & Howell went 1st and 3rd round, guys with no real elite traits. 

13 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

It still doesn’t really add up. The ‘22 QB draft class was one of the weaker in recent memory. Purdy was Big12 freshman of the year. Two-Time All Big12, first team his Jr year. Two time Davey O’Brien finalist. He had three years of really great tape. Pickett & Howell went 1st and 3rd round, guys with no real elite traits. 

There is no amount of internet arguing that could ever convince me that JJ is not better than Kenny Pickett at every aspect of being a QB. If Pickett is a first round QB, JJ should be. 

Not sure how it got to Purdy vs JJ. But my argument will stay that JJ will be a better NFL QB than Daniels or Caleb. I would 100% take him over those guys. 

The 2 pick 6s vs TCU were horrible, but I think people overvalue those two picks, and the pick that never, was on the first play of the bama game, and think JJ is some game manager. That isn't the case, he has a rocket, can move and throws strikes on the run. 

Edited by Juicy

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I was merely interjecting that ISU had some solid offensive weapons with Purdy. NFL caliber type dudes. UM can go multiple RBs deep. ISUs depth doesn’t matter when Hall is getting damn near all the run. Yes, there’s value in depth but play for play Breece Hall was the best of those teams. Kolar/Allen are comparable to UM TEs. Some decent WRs. ISU will never match the depth of a Michigan consistently, but ISU doesn’t use depth so I look to their every down contributors.

The presumption that Breece Hall is demonstrably better than the combination of Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards is laughable, man. Part of what made that duo so formidable all year was ... that they were duo. They didn't wear down because they spelled each other. Specifically, Edwards was used in critical periods to relieve Corum as the feature back. Corum wasn't winded all season. Hall had some dude named Bob backing him up and ISU had to use Hall like a workhorse accordingly. 

Hall went in the 2nd. Corum goes 2nd or 3rd. Edwards will be one of the best backs in the country and will likely be high round pick as well. The premise that McCarthy was yoked to the same deficiencies or worse than Purdy in terms of backfield support is inarguably absurd.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I was thinking Kolar and Hall came out the same year and Hutchinson was still there. ISU was modestly above .500 his last year. Chase Allen was there too. Now, I think there a Oline may not have been good his final year.

Early mocks are likely based on stats, team results. When it came time to evaluate, I’d assume teams weren’t wild about his arm. Probably question some decision making.

There’s a ton of data available these days so the counting stats aren’t very useful. And it’s so much about the environment. QB is the most important player but also the position most reliant on everyone else. Teams get a Justin Fields hoping he can will them to victory, but it’s all about working within your system/environment to give the best chance at victory. That’s the reason I’m hopeful Caleb Williams falls on his face. Purdy is driving the bus but also throws in some excellence too, which is what you alluded to above.

Again, there is not a straight-faced discussion to be had comparing the Michigan 2023 OL and the ISU 2021 OL. Holy shit. 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

There is no amount of internet arguing that could ever convince me that JJ is not better than Kenny Pickett at every aspect of being a QB. If Pickett is a first round QB, JJ should be. 

Not sure how it got to Purdy vs JJ. But my argument will stay that JJ will be a better NFL QB than Daniels or Caleb. I would 100% take him over those guys. 

The 2 pick 6s vs TCU were horrible, but I think people overvalue those two picks, and the pick that never, was on the first play of the bama game, and think JJ is some game manager. That isn't the case, he has a rocket, can move and throws strikes on the run. 

I will take the opposing side of whatever amount you want to bet regarding who has the better pro career between McCarthy or Daniels or Williams. Some of it depends upons which organization is drafting these guys, and the risk on that is to the earlier picks, but I am willing to wear it. "Better" is subjective, but if we want to keep it at a count of total starts + all pro selections + playoff wins + TDS thrown in a career = output or something like that, great. We can escrow the money with @immamac and he can drop it into a money market account and the winner takes all in like 15-20 years if there isn't a global holocaust before then. Or, we can track it off of rookie years, I don't give a fuck. I'm happy to sell JJ McCarthy to you for as much as you want to buy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The presumption that Breece Hall is demonstrably better than the combination of Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards is laughable, man. Part of what made that duo so formidable all year was ... that they were duo. They didn't wear down because they spelled each other. Specifically, Edwards was used in critical periods to relieve Corum as the feature back. Corum wasn't winded all season. Hall had some dude named Bob backing him up and ISU had to use Hall like a workhorse accordingly. 

Hall went in the 2nd. Corum goes 2nd or 3rd. Edwards will be one of the best backs in the country and will likely be high round pick as well. The premise that McCarthy was yoked to the same deficiencies or worse than Purdy in terms of backfield support is inarguably absurd.

Again, there is not a straight-faced discussion to be had comparing the Michigan 2023 OL and the ISU 2021 OL. Holy shit. 

I will take the opposing side of whatever amount you want to bet regarding who has the better pro career between McCarthy or Daniels or Williams. Some of it depends upons which organization is drafting these guys, and the risk on that is to the earlier picks, but I am willing to wear it. "Better" is subjective, but if we want to keep it at a count of total starts + all pro selections + playoff wins + TDS thrown in a career = output or something like that, great. We can escrow the money with @immamac and he can drop it into a money market account and the winner takes all in like 15-20 years if there isn't a global holocaust before then. Or, we can track it off of rookie years, I don't give a fuck. I'm happy to sell JJ McCarthy to you for as much as you want to buy. 

Lmao 

38 minutes ago, someguy said:

The claim that Worthy milked injuries or somehow was soft and "injured" a lot is one of the ridiculous things I have read on this site in a long time.  Worthy came in as a freshman uncommonly focused - he was a tenacious worker from day 1 and is the furthest thing from soft.

Marion was an awful hire and was more concerned with being the cool big brother than actually running his room - but even in the midst of all that, Worthy's toughness, work ethic, and heart should never be questioned.

You could see it in almost every game - dude would be running down the sideline about to met by some DB and he would lay the fucking wood to him. Worthy wanted them to know that he was there to hit someone. I loved it. That's the exact kind of attitude I want our WR to have. Expect contact from us. 

The diva shit and having his hand out in the off season was grating. The dropped passes were rough. But I have never once seen that guy make a "business decision" when it came to how he played. 

Case in point:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

You’re arguing against points I didn’t make. Reading the posts prior to my initial point would lead one to believe Purdy was playing with junior high 7 on 7 scrubs. I even referenced skill guys in my initial post then referenced the ISU Oline may not have been good in the second post. Not good is not an endorsement and certainly not a comparison to UM.

Forever and always UM is able to recruit and stack better talent than ISU. The advent of NIL and the portal make that gap wider. Got it. Haven’t disputed it. And having Harbaugh says a great deal too since he’s one of few to achieve at the NFL and college level.

I have not argued depth at RB either. Hall is damn good. Run game, pass game, short yardage, big plays. He’s shown abilities in all that. That’s not to say that Corum isn’t better at the goalline or that Edwards can’t beat Hall to the end zone from 70 yards out, but individually they have not shown yet they can do all those things to the level of Hall. What I would argue that on any given play I’d feel equally, if not more comfortable, with Hall on the field than the UM guys. The 5 touches per game that allowed Hall to rest - I go with whatever UM runs out there.

I’m not making any argument on behalf of JJ which seems to be what gets you fired up. And I’m not knocking Purdy in any respect either. I find joy in the last pick of the draft being a QB that may win the Super Bowl so the rest of the league can wonder how they missed. And not realizing it’s more about the organization from the top down than any one player.

17. Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 308

Murphy is a versatile 3-technique coming off a breakout season (his first as a starter). He's a stout presence against the run, consistently able to penetrate the first level to make plays in the backfield (6.5 tackles for loss and 11 run stops last season). Murphy also has the hand quickness to defeat one-on-one blocks and the lower-body strength to hold up against double-teams. But his greatest asset is causing disruption as a pass-rusher. Murphy recorded a 12.7% pressure rate while at defensive tackle last year, the highest rate in the FBS.

25. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 196

After originally starting his career with Georgia, Mitchell transferred to Texas before the 2023 season and quickly became a big part of the Longhorns' offense. He had career-highs in receptions (55), receiving yards (845) and touchdowns (11). And despite being a bigger receiver, Mitchell has impressive vertical speed and the body control to break off routes. He also has strong hands to make catches outside his frame and in contested situations. But he must become more consistent with his release plans against press coverage.

40. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 243

Sanders can be deployed from a variety of alignments. A sure-handed target, he excels in the middle of the field and on specialty plays, recording one drop last season (45 catches) and averaging 15.2 yards per reception (fourth-highest mark among all FBS tight ends). Sanders has made a catch that gained 15 or more yards in 11 out of the 13 games, too. As a run-blocker, he provides minimal value -- his pro intrigue will center on his pass-catching ability.

42. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 172

The first recruit that coach Steve Sarkisian signed after being hired at Texas, Worthy is a speedy but slightly built pass-catcher who can create separation in routes. He is the definition of a "sudden-change player" -- a guy who can flip the scoreboard in one play. When he has the ball in space, his speed allows him to gain yards after the catch in a hurry (579 of his 1,014 receiving yards last season came after the catch). Worthy is competitive and physical, too. And while drops have plagued him throughout his career, his drop percentage reduced from 8.8% in 2022 to 4.2% in 2023.

46. T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 362

A massive nose tackle, Sweat is an immovable force at the first level, but he's far from just a gap-plugger. Eating up blocks and allowing second-level defenders to roam free is part of his game, but he's also a pocket-pusher with value as a pass-rusher (two sacks, nine tackles for loss and 22 pressures last season). Sweat is a prototypical 0-technique, as his wide frame makes it challenging for blockers to displace him. He always maintains control at the point of attack, and he has the potential to immediately change a team's run defense in the NFL.

He also has Brooks as his RB1, but outside of his top 50

• Hook 'Em 3

It won’t answer your question but you got me curious. From PFF, they track big time throws and turnover worthy plays.

Purdy
2018 - 20 to 11
2019 - 21 to 20
2020 - 13 to 17
2021 - 11 to 13

On a percentage basis his freshman year was easily the best year of big throw which was 2-3 times higher than his last two years.

Also, 2018 his deep ball completion % was 54% and 41% in 2021. His junior year was his lowest at 33%.

I’d assume any early mocks are before NFL people fully evaluate and start weighing in. There are quite a few QBs with hardware that had limited looks in the NFL so that doesn’t necessarily correlate.

Cry me a river you racist pigs. Hire and promote a diverse staff and you are rewarded. Seems easy enough.

ETA the rule that applies here to the 49ers (they are receiving three third rounders for losing two staff members to become HC (Ryans to Texans) and a GM:

Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

As it stands now the Niners will have SIX compensatory picks this year due to free agent losses and this rule. They will receive another 3rd rounder next year for the coach rule. 

For Texas teams the Cowboys currently are in line for three compensatory picks and the Texans zero.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

(OvertheCap doesn't include coaching compensatory picks in their analysis)

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ive seen brooks to the cowboys on several draft projections 

As a Cowboy fan, I say J Brooks has been through enough.  Please, Jerry, for the love of God, let him go somewhere with a winning culture.

Since Jimmy was fired, I wouldn't wish being a Cowboy player, or Cowboy fan on my worst enemy.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 6:12 PM, Had Enough said:

You’re arguing against points I didn’t make. Reading the posts prior to my initial point would lead one to believe Purdy was playing with junior high 7 on 7 scrubs. I even referenced skill guys in my initial post then referenced the ISU Oline may not have been good in the second post. Not good is not an endorsement and certainly not a comparison to UM.

Forever and always UM is able to recruit and stack better talent than ISU. The advent of NIL and the portal make that gap wider. Got it. Haven’t disputed it. And having Harbaugh says a great deal too since he’s one of few to achieve at the NFL and college level.

I have not argued depth at RB either. Hall is damn good. Run game, pass game, short yardage, big plays. He’s shown abilities in all that. That’s not to say that Corum isn’t better at the goalline or that Edwards can’t beat Hall to the end zone from 70 yards out, but individually they have not shown yet they can do all those things to the level of Hall. What I would argue that on any given play I’d feel equally, if not more comfortable, with Hall on the field than the UM guys. The 5 touches per game that allowed Hall to rest - I go with whatever UM runs out there.

I’m not making any argument on behalf of JJ which seems to be what gets you fired up. And I’m not knocking Purdy in any respect either. I find joy in the last pick of the draft being a QB that may win the Super Bowl so the rest of the league can wonder how they missed. And not realizing it’s more about the organization from the top down than any one player.

Corum is better at the goalline?  It is apparent to me that you've not watched him much.  Here's a clue that might help: at least go look up his stats.  Putting Breece Hall significantly above Corum is a fucking joke.

Corum is better at the goalline?  It is apparent to me that you've not watched him much.  Here's a clue that might help: at least go look up his stats.  Putting Breece Hall significantly above Corum is a fucking joke.

I used the goalline as an example because at some point Corum had 20 rushing TDs or thereabouts from the 5 yard line and in. Corum has 58 career rushing TDs. Hall had 50 career rush TDs. And UMs Oline puts ISUs to shame right? If so, that means Corums job is easier. But are you saying Corum is undoubtedly better at the goalline?

I’ve never said Hall was significantly above Corum in shit. But based on available information, it’s within reason to say Hall is the better overall player. It’s also reasonable to say you can be comfortable with Hall in your backfield in any situation - short yardage, 3rd and long, 1st and 10, two-minute.

17 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I used the goalline as an example because at some point Corum had 20 rushing TDs or thereabouts from the 5 yard line and in. Corum has 58 career rushing TDs. Hall had 50 career rush TDs. And UMs Oline puts ISUs to shame right? If so, that means Corums job is easier. But are you saying Corum is undoubtedly better at the goalline?

I’ve never said Hall was significantly above Corum in shit. But based on available information, it’s within reason to say Hall is the better overall player. It’s also reasonable to say you can be comfortable with Hall in your backfield in any situation - short yardage, 3rd and long, 1st and 10, two-minute.

I'm saying that Corum is more than just a goalline runner, which is the only context in which you (finally) mentioned him.  His stats are nearly identical to Hall's, with the only difference of note being a better YPG by Corum.  The numbers are so close that anyone trying to say that one is clearly superior to the other is a person that I will ignore because they are full of shit.

Edited by cochamps

39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Kelce will be turning 35 next season. He’s not all that relevant to draft considerations or projecting if a WR can become a #1 target down the road. 

Plus he sure seems like a guy who is preparing to transition out of football in the near future. 

I'm saying that Corum is more than just a goalline runner, which is the only context in which you (finally) mentioned him.  His stats are nearly identical to Hall's, with the only difference of note being a better YPG by Corum.  The numbers are so close that anyone trying to say that one is clearly superior to the other is a person that I will ignore because they are full of shit.

Semantics I suppose. Again my original point was that Purdy had some good skill talent around him with the centerpiece being Hall even though I didn’t say that specifically.

With Hall you have a bit of proof at the NFL level that says he’s a 3 down back. If you read draft profiles, he was viewed differently then than Corum is now. The stats and projections reflect doubts that Corum is a 3 down back although I’m sure he’d be fine. Halls start in the NFL supports that his talent was worthy of a high pick and that he’s effective in the run and pass game.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Corum becomes a pro bowl type player. It would surprise me if he caught 75 passes in a season.

In college, Halls yards per carry trended upwards. Corums went the other way. Hall caught 45% more passes at 9 yards per catch versus 7.3 per catch. Rushing TDs, yards per carry were the same or in the same ballpark. All with the assumption that UMs Oline was better. You can also go into PFFs database and see that Hall broke more tackles/forced missed tackles in total but on a per carry/touch basis too. I think Corums worst year was 2023 in that regard same as his yards per carry.

Ignore whatever you like, but I bet only one of us played RB in college. Thats a joke. For the most part anyway.

38 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Semantics I suppose. Again my original point was that Purdy had some good skill talent around him with the centerpiece being Hall even though I didn’t say that specifically.

With Hall you have a bit of proof at the NFL level that says he’s a 3 down back. If you read draft profiles, he was viewed differently then than Corum is now. The stats and projections reflect doubts that Corum is a 3 down back although I’m sure he’d be fine. Halls start in the NFL supports that his talent was worthy of a high pick and that he’s effective in the run and pass game.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Corum becomes a pro bowl type player. It would surprise me if he caught 75 passes in a season.

In college, Halls yards per carry trended upwards. Corums went the other way. Hall caught 45% more passes at 9 yards per catch versus 7.3 per catch. Rushing TDs, yards per carry were the same or in the same ballpark. All with the assumption that UMs Oline was better. You can also go into PFFs database and see that Hall broke more tackles/forced missed tackles in total but on a per carry/touch basis too. I think Corums worst year was 2023 in that regard same as his yards per carry.

Ignore whatever you like, but I bet only one of us played RB in college. Thats a joke. For the most part anyway.

All of this shit is bandwidth drain. Only you were arguing about Corum vs. Hall. That was never anyone else's topic and it is fucking irrelevant in terms of what was being discussed.

Where are the mock drafts and projections of various longhorns? How did we go from that to this nonsense, spearheaded by lead Surly goober, BO&W? 

Sorry for talking football. Perhaps a bit of a tangent and too many words, but it’s a daily struggle to find ways to be unproductive at work. So here I am annoying the hell out of others.

But back on topic. JJ sucks and was the beneficiary of his stellar teammates and coaches. He’s destined to be a bust at the next level.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

All of this shit is bandwidth drain. Only you were arguing about Corum vs. Hall. That was never anyone else's topic and it is fucking irrelevant in terms of what was being discussed.

Where are the mock drafts and projections of various longhorns? How did we go from that to this nonsense, spearheaded by lead Surly goober, BO&W? 

@ me next time, COWARD!